Author Topic: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...  (Read 381409 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...
« Reply #300 on: December 13, 2008, 05:25:07 am »
 :'( but  :) at him being no 1 search.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #301 on: December 15, 2008, 10:45:33 pm »
found this on IMDB:

Williams Won't Accept Ledger's Awards
15 December 2008 2:18 PM, PST

Heath Ledger's ex-fiancee Michelle Williams has denied she was set to accept any awards the late star wins for his role in The Dark Knight.

Ledger's performance as The Joker - the last movie he completed before his drug overdose death in January - is expected to earn him a clutch of posthumous prizes during the forthcoming awards season.

He is already nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe, and is hotly tipped to become the first posthumous acting Oscar winner since Peter Finch in 1977.

Williams - the mother of Ledger's daughter Matilida - was thought to be among those contending to accept awards on her ex's behalf, along with his father Kim.

But the Brokeback Mountain actress won't be involved. Her representative says, "No discussions have been made for Michelle to accept nor are there any plans to take part."

Sometimes I miss you so much,I can hardly stand it

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #302 on: December 15, 2008, 10:46:03 pm »

Sometimes I miss you so much,I can hardly stand it

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #303 on: December 17, 2008, 09:24:05 am »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/dec/14/terry-gilliam-remembers-heath-ledger

Heath Ledger
The actor, who died aged 28 on 22 January from an accidental overdose, remembered by the director who was working with him at the time

by Terry Gilliam
The Observer, Sunday 14 December 2008

Heath Ledger. Photograph: Rex Features

Any time I try to describe Heath it becomes a series of clichés, because he was extraordinary and, unfortunately, most of those clichés have already been used up on lesser people.

I met him for the first time in LA around 2001, when we were working on The Brothers Grimm. He was a ball of energy, firing on all cylinders, and he had a magnetic quality. I liked him immediately and even though I hadn't actually seen Heath in anything at that point,

I said to him: 'You're on. Let's do it.'

He was one of those blessed human beings who have the facility to do so many things at the same time. When he wasn't acting, he was directing music videos and supporting young musicians. He was working on the script for a film he was preparing to direct. He had an incredibly artistic side, and he was practically a grand master at chess. That's why, when he died, it was as if half of the world had collapsed.

He died halfway through the film I'm currently making, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. We had finished shooting in London on Saturday night. On Sunday, I went to Vancouver to prepare for the next stage and Heath went to New York. He was supposed to be turning up in Vancouver on the Friday. On Tuesday he was dead.

None of us could deal with it. It was impossible - that was the problem. It was absolutely impossible that this could be a fact. But there it was. I was working in the art department when I heard the news, and we stayed there all afternoon. At sunset, thousands of ravens flew over the window and I thought: those are the ravens from The Brothers Grimm, and they are all going to salute Heath.

In terms of his acting, it still rankles with me that he's dead because he would have been streets ahead of anyone else in his generation. He just kept getting better and better. He was fearless. On Parnassus, he was improvising all the time and it was better than what we had written. I don't normally encourage that kind of improvisation, but in a sense I felt Heath was writing this film. He was an incredibly funny performer when he wanted to be - his comic timing was just extraordinary - and then he could break your heart the next minute.

Usually, with actors, it's all about themselves. But it was never like that with Heath. He was completely supportive of everything else around him. He got better performances out of other actors - he just drew it out of them. He was utterly generous and always aware of everyone else, and he behaved as if there was nothing special about him - he was just a guy.

His physicality was extraordinary, too. I remember Monica Bellucci turning up to make Grimms. She went into the make-up room and Heath's picture was on the wall. She hadn't met him and I don't think she knew exactly who he was, but immediately she went, whoosh, to that picture. That was the kind of attraction Heath had. Women adored him and men loved him.

We've all agreed to call Parnassus 'A film from Heath Ledger and friends' because I don't think it is a Terry Gilliam film. I think it's something that his life and death has created. When he died, I said it was over. We can't carry on. But everybody said, 'You've got to carry on' - for the film, for Heath's last performance. It wasn't possible for any one person to replace him so we made the quantum leap and got three people - Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law. The Holy Trinity. They came in and they pulled it off and I think it works brilliantly.

When he died, there were all these nonsensical stories coming out about Heath Ledger, James Dean and River Phoenix, all destroyed by the system - but that's bullshit. What happened was an absurd accident. I still don't understand it. I know he was exhausted - the last thing he said was that he was so tired and just wanted to sleep. You actually think at certain times angels come down to earth and Heath might have been one of them. And then he's gone and you think: this is all wrong, all the other people should be dead. He should be leading us all into a wonderful world of adventure.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #304 on: December 17, 2008, 02:26:05 pm »

Over on the MSNBC website today they have a big "slideshow" feature depicting in memorium portraits of celebrities and important public figures who have passed away this year.  Of course, Heath is part of this set of portraits.
 :'(

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #305 on: December 17, 2008, 04:07:07 pm »
Over on the MSNBC website today they have a big "slideshow" feature depicting in memorium portraits of celebrities and important public figures who have passed away this year.  Of course, Heath is part of this set of portraits.
:'(

I'm torn between watching and avoiding all those year-end retrospects these days....

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #306 on: December 17, 2008, 04:22:52 pm »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/dec/14/terry-gilliam-remembers-heath-ledger

Heath Ledger
The actor, who died aged 28 on 22 January from an accidental overdose, remembered by the director who was working with him at the time

by Terry Gilliam
The Observer, Sunday 14 December 2008

That's why, when he died, it was as if half of the world had collapsed.

Of the nice things people say about Heath, this is a recurring statement. Naturally it's partly caused by the fact that Heath was so young, but still...

Thanks for posting Bruce.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #307 on: December 17, 2008, 04:36:58 pm »

quote from Atz;

All this sensationalism and misinformation really is too bad.  One thing I find kind of disheartening about this report and the family's reaction is the sense that they feel that a diagnosis of bi-polar disorder would be somehow shameful or a stigma.  I mean, if Heath really wasn't bi-polar, then it's a good idea to stop the spread of false information.  But, the idea that someone might be bi-polar isn't really a put down.  It's an illness like any other illness and shouldn't involve judgment.

I concur with total support Amanda.  Its no more or less, sensable than deriding someone for
having blue eyes.

Beautiful mind

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #308 on: December 17, 2008, 05:24:12 pm »
Thank you Bruce....Terry Gilliam seems like a special guy, and very fond of Heath. Thank you again for posting this, without you and others that post articles I would not be able to read them. I'm lousy on searching the Internet....
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #309 on: December 17, 2008, 10:39:01 pm »
Make that a massive thankyou from me too, Bruce.
 Very hard to read Gilliams words re Heath.I wonder how long the hurt goes on for. I feels such a silly old fool at my age. Heath just touched many raw nerves, while simultaneously, starting a healing process and delivering to me the most wonderful friend, I dd not even know I was looking for, until she arrived.
His words about angels remind me of the Robbie Williams track which I so love.