Author Topic: Michelle Williams turns to Godfather Jake Gyllenhaal for Matilda  (Read 12825 times)

Offline BennyBoy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Brokeback Newbie
Now that Michelle Williams two-year-old little girl Matilda Rose is left grow up without her doting dad Heath Ledger, the responsibility to keep his memory alive falls partly on her famous godfather, Jake Gyllenhaal, reports Page Six.Com.  It seems fitting as Jake, Heath Ledger, and Matilda's mom Michelle Williams, bonded on the set of their Academy Award-winning Brokeback Mountain, for which they all received Oscar nominations.

"Heath and I are best friends now — making the film was very intense for us," Jake, 27, who played Heath's sheeping-hearding love interest in the Blockbuster hit, said while accepting a best supporting actor BAFTA award. "I'm actually godfather to Heath's daughter Matilda, which is an amazing honor."

This tragedy stretches far and wide across Hollywood and Heath's native Australia.  Though Michelle and Heath were separated at the time of his death they both love their daughter Matilda very much and many believed they would always wind up back together for the adorable little girl.  Now his friend Jake may have an increased responsibility.

Jake has some practice now as he was photographed over the holidays with his girlfriend Reese Witherspoon and her children and he appeared to be bonding with the kids.  Heath will be missed by many fans, but those that were very close to him are really suffering from the tragic news that has shocked so may celebrities that had such a fondness for the actor and artist. 

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272618429.shtml
I want to know God's thoughts... the rest are details. - Albert Einstein

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Michelle Williams turns to Godfather Jake Gyllenhaal for Matilda
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 06:00:16 pm »
I'm sure Jake will be very, very supportive.

My heart hurts for Jake now, too.  What a huge blow this must be to him, since they are so close and worked so closely together.

Mostly, I can't imagine (and don't ever want to be able to) what Heath's immediate family must be going through. 
No more beans!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:02:19 pm »

This tragedy stretches far and wide across Hollywood and Heath's native Australia.  Though Michelle and Heath were separated at the time of his death they both love their daughter Matilda very much and many believed they would always wind up back together for the adorable little girl.  Now his friend Jake may have an increased responsibility.

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272618429.shtml

I don't understand why the press insists on reminding Michelle and Heath's breakup as if that means they stopped loving each other. The fact that their relationship didn't work doesn't mean Michelle stopped loving Heath. I think she's grieving not just the passing of Matilda's dad but also of her husband. Matilda lost her daddy but Michelle lost her husband, her partner, and her friend. It doesn't matter if they were separated or mad at each other.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline BennyBoy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Brokeback Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 06:04:15 pm »
I don't understand why the press insists on reminding Michelle and Heath's breakup as if that means they stopped loving each other. The fact that their relationship didn't work doesn't mean Michelle stopped loving Heath. I think she's grieving not just the passing of Matilda's dad but also of her husband. Matilda lost her daddy but Michelle lost her husband, her partner, and her friend. It doesn't matter if they were separated or mad at each other.

Good point.  This may be a stupid question but what was the status of their relationship.  Did they ever get married or were they just engaged?  I've heard so many things...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 06:16:16 pm »
Officially, they were engaged.  There were rumors that they had secretly wed, but those were never substantiated.

And I agree with you Natali - I get annoyed at their dwelling on the break-up, too.  And feel bad for Michelle on a whole other level beside the obvious one of mourning someone she loves who was the father of her child - that she has to be regularly reminded of the break-up as well and talked about as the one "he split from" constantly.

Fucking press.  Like so many of the rest of you here, I can't bear to watch TV right now unless it's my son's "Boomerang" cartoon channel.  Between the tabloid style "journalism" (and with that, the inherent insensitivity and callousness) and the endless shit about the Federal Reserve and the interest rates and the stock market here, which I know I should care about but couldn't give a good Goddamn over, it's just unbearable.

As so many others have said, thank goodness for this place and for all of you.  Some of my friends, family, and co-workers have been very sensitive and concerned - they know about the picture of Ennis at Aguirre's trailer in the first scene, the cowboy hats Melinda made for all of us at the Castro get-together, and the beautiful snowflake henrypie made for me hanging in my office and what those mean to me, and so they've told me I was the first person who doesn't actually know Heath they thought of when they heard the knews.  But beyond that, everyone's going about their business as well they should and I just feel lost.  It's so comforting to know others feel the same way (though I wish to hell we all didn't have to) and are available to commiserate with at all times.

XXOO to you all.
No more beans!

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 06:18:08 pm »

Waiting anxiously for a statement from Jake. Do you guys think he will make one?

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 06:21:34 pm »
"Now his friend Jake may have an increased responsibility."

That may turn out to be true, and is in *relative* good taste, but it's just another "angle" from PageSix. Pure conjecture -- a thin-air story.

Offline BennyBoy

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Brokeback Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 06:23:17 pm »

Waiting anxiously for a statement from Jake. Do you guys think he will make one?

I would hope so...here is another article on Jake and Michelle.  It states the Matilda will inherit millions...no surprise of course. 

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23100607-5001021,00.html?from=public_rss

Offline opinionista

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 06:26:32 pm »
Officially, they were engaged.  There were rumors that they had secretly wed, but those were never substantiated.

And I agree with you Natali - I get annoyed at their dwelling on the break-up, too.  And feel bad for Michelle on a whole other level beside the obvious one of mourning someone she loves who was the father of her child - that she has to be regularly reminded of the break-up as well and talked about as the one "he split from" constantly.

I know they weren't legally married but my point is they had a home together, they lived together so in a way Heath was Michelle's husband even if they didn't put it on paper. It hurts the same.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 06:43:57 pm »
It's a comfort somehow to remember that Jake is Matilda's godfather.  It's amazing how Brokeback Mountain produced a true and honest family betweem Michelle, Heath, Jake and now this child.  They'll all be linked forever.

It's quite an amazing phenomenon.  Talk about a powerful, powerful film.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie