Author Topic: Visit to 421 Broome Street Today  (Read 235622 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Visit to 421 Broome Street Today
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2008, 12:51:44 pm »
Hi Courtney,

From wikipedia:

An ancient Japanese legend promises that anyone who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish by a crane, such as long life or recovery from illness or injury. The crane in Japan is one of the mystical or holy beasts (others include the dragon and tortoise), and is said to live for a thousand years. They are known as Senbazuru.

A thousand paper cranes is also traditionally given as a wedding gift by the folder, who is wishing a thousand years of happiness and prosperity upon the couple. It can also be gifted to a new baby for long life and good luck. Hanging a Senbazuru in one's home is thought to be a powerfully lucky and benevolent charm.

The Thousand Origami Cranes has become a symbol of world peace through the story of Sadako Sasaki, a Japanese girl who contracted leukemia as a result of radiation from the atomic bombing of Hiroshima during World War II. Her story is told in the the book Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. Several temples, including some in Tokyo and Hiroshima, have eternal flames for World Peace. At these temples, school groups or individuals often donate Senbazuru to add to the prayer for peace. The cranes are left exposed to the elements, slowly dissolving and becoming tattered as the wish is released. In this way they are related to the prayer flags of India and Tibet.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2008, 12:52:57 pm »
Thanks Leslie. I was just coming back here to post that exact same thing. You beat me to it.  :)

Offline cornflake2912

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2008, 01:33:45 pm »
Hi there...

I´m a new one here and I heard a lot about this forum. I´m from Germany and a member of the german brokie community and I´d like to let you know that I visited Heath´s house last weekend. We had to fly 8 hours and did only stay for 24 h. It was a sad first visit of NY for me. But the saddest thing was, that they removed all flowers an candels in the night from saturday to sunday :(

Nice to be here,

cornflake (heath forever)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2008, 01:44:51 pm »
Hi Cornflake, welcome....

I saw your post on bbslash and I was stunned that you had traveled from Germany to New York to see the memorial. What a very special trip for you.

Thanks for joining us here at bettermost. I look forward to having you be part of our community.

Leslie
MaineWriter
Moderator, fanfic and creative writers
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2008, 01:45:34 pm »
Hello cornflake,

Welcome to bettermost.  Thank you for posting that picture of the flowers and candles on the street. 

"Heath, I swear..."
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2008, 01:45:46 pm »
Wow, cornflake, you flew to NY just to visit 421 Broome?  That's love, fellow Brokie.  :-*

I'm glad John took plenty of pictures so you know what you may have missed.  Welcome to BetterMost, friend.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline cornflake2912

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2008, 03:09:41 pm »
Thanks for this lovely welcome. I wished it would be a better time and happy days... but I´m still shocked and devasted because of his death. Why him....

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2008, 03:25:27 pm »
Thanks for this lovely welcome. I wished it would be a better time and happy days... but I´m still shocked and devasted because of his death. Why him....

I have no answers, and I am also deeply saddened by his loss.  You are among friends here...
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2008, 03:26:28 pm »
Why him....

My exact thought... followed by:  Why now?

Welcome to BetterMost, cornflake.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2008, 03:28:56 pm »

Welcome Cornflake!
Good to know ya!
Why indeed? I guess we'll never know.
I'm just thankful we had him while we did and he touched so many of us so profoundly.
Hope you hang around and get to know us in happier times!  :-*
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"