Author Topic: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia  (Read 188506 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Sending group condolences and flowers to Australia
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2008, 12:58:25 am »
Will we also be sending flowers to the funeral as a group?  I would also like to contribute to flowers. If we are sending flowers to the funeral, perhaps the same message could accompany them?

Yes, I've instructed my friend to send a medium-priced flower arrangement with a note saying "With heartfelt condolences, the men and women of bettermost.net."  When I know how much that will cost, including the notice in the paper, I'll let you all know.  If we need more money, I'm sure we can come up with it.

Update on donations:

13 people have sent money to PayPal, totaling $370.  Several people are sending me checks via the mail.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2008, 01:11:26 am »
Hello, Meryl!

I've sent my donation.

The written notice is moving, and the second photo is gorgeous.

(Sorry, I've only just now found this thread and this wonderful commemoration tonight. That's the problem with aphasia, which is what I have, and my reading is abominable. It's like having tunnel vision, but it's in the brain rather than the eye. Anyway.)

Brilliant job, Captain Meryl, and all BetterMostians!

xxxx
John
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: How to contribute to sending flowers/condolences to Australia
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2008, 01:17:35 am »
((((((John))))))
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2008, 01:20:34 am »
Yes, I've instructed my friend to send a medium-priced flower arrangement with a note saying "With heartfelt condolences, the men and women of bettermost.net."  When I know how much that will cost, including the notice in the paper, I'll let you all know.  If we need more money, I'm sure we can come up with it.

Update on donations:

13 people have sent money to PayPal, totaling $370.  Several people are sending me checks via the mail.  :)

I've just sent through my donation, Meryl.

Interflora, here in Australia, do a beautiful big display of Australian native flowers in a lovely wicker basket for about $100 + $20 delivery. We often send this arrangement where I work for staff birthdays, farewells, etc., and it's always well received. I thought Australian native flowers might be appropriate for our Heath.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline roryennis

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2008, 01:44:03 am »
Elle, I just wrote a note in the Banner forum asking you to link to this.  :)

You may be right about waiting, but I think people will probably be leaving messages in the bereavement section of the Perth paper for the next week or so at least.  The family will probably collect the papers and keep them together to read later.  However, if we want to send flowers, the time is now to collect money.  My friend will be able to find out when the service is and get the flowers over there.

Even though I'm new to this forum, I think this is a lovely idea. I'm would be more than happy to contribute towards the floral arrangment, and the message in the Perth newspaper. I really like the second pic of Heath with Enis in the background beautifully done.

Roryennis
Jack Twist.
Ennis
Your folks just stopped at Ennis?
Del Mar
Nice to know ya Ennis Del Mar.

And so with that introduction Jack and Ennis are forever bound together like Adam & Eve and Romeo & Juliet.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2008, 01:54:32 am »
((((Meryl)))) back!

Perhaps this is a good point:

Shouldn't it appear on the day of Heath's funeral? Heath's family and loved ones will all be sure to be in Perth on that day, and they will all see it. I appreciate that someone will be designated to collect such items from the newspapers for the family, but it would be nice for it to be posted on the day of the funeral, so that all Heath's friends (Jake, for example) will see it when they are there.

Meryl, maybe your friend in Perth will hear something re the schedule tomorrow or early Monday--if it isn't Monday already!

I'm afraid I don't know what would be best; in New York, for example, private funerals and burials can be, well, private, with a scheduled memorial a few weeks later--

On the other hand, in publishing, one sees printed commemorations (with staid black borders all around) the day after the person's death--

Never mind me. It will be beautiful whatever you all decide!

(Kerry's idea re Australian native flowers is brilliant! I'm curious--what types are they? Thanks!)

"Camping Out"

Offline roryennis

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2008, 02:04:28 am »
Just sent my contribution via paypal.

Roryennis
Jack Twist.
Ennis
Your folks just stopped at Ennis?
Del Mar
Nice to know ya Ennis Del Mar.

And so with that introduction Jack and Ennis are forever bound together like Adam & Eve and Romeo & Juliet.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2008, 02:09:11 am »
Look--I found one--

Bottle Brush (attractive Australian native shrub)

Seems a bit like Heath--and Ennis!--doesn't it?

Sigh.

"Camping Out"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2008, 02:11:50 am »
Just a reminder to everyone making contributions:  Send them to my account, not the BetterMost account that you see on the right side of the page.

My account is [email protected].

I'm depending on my Perth-based friend to find out the details of the service arrangements, as far as that is possible.  She can call around and find out which florists are sending the flowers to the family.  Also, she works for a newspaper, though not the one we're putting the notice in.  She will know best how to take care of the placement and timing of the notice, I think.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2008, 02:13:55 am »
Just a reminder to everyone making contributions:  Send them to my account, not the BetterMost account that you see on the right side of the page.

My account is [email protected].

I'm depending on my Perth-based friend to find out the details of the service arrangements, as far as that is possible.  She can call around and find out which florists are sending the flowers to the family.  Also, she works for a newspaper, though not the one we're putting the notice in.  She will know best how to take care of the placement and timing of the notice, I think.

Awesome, awesome job High Priestess.  You're amazing.   :-*

I like the idea of the native Australian flowers.  Definitely keep us posted about costs.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie