Author Topic: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus  (Read 264338 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2008, 06:21:42 am »
Looks very, very Monty-Python-esque. Which is of course no surprise.
I'm not sure if it'll be my type of movie (as with most Monty Python productions; some I find hilarious, some are too over the top for me).

But of course I'll see it anyway. Guess I'll just have to close my eyes at the "hanging" scene. I already found the pictures terrible before January...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2008, 06:33:50 am »
Yeah thanks it looks intersting and looking forward to seeing Christopher Plummer and Heath together.. I love Christoper Plummer!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2008, 08:26:49 am »
Yes, I love Christopher Plummer too.  One of the things I thought, watching this, was "Wow - Heath has lead billing in front of Christopher Plummer."

That was a real find, Mika, thank you very much.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2008, 10:05:21 am »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1080060/First-photos-tragic-Heath-Ledger-film.html

First photos of tragic Heath Ledger in his last film

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 10:43 AM on 24th October 2008

Newly released photos show Heath Ledger in the film role he never completed.

The actor died of an overdose of prescription medicine halfway through filming The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus in January.

The 28-year-old's death temporarily stopped work on the film, but it has now been completed and is due out next year. The photos are the first official shots to be released.

Following his death Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell all stepped in to fill his role for the remainder of the film, playing different incarnations of Ledger's character.

The £15 million fantasy film involves a supernatural mirror that takes people into different dimensions, allowing director Terry Gilliam to switch between actors.

Gilliam, who previously worked with Ledger on The Brothers Grimm, has retained the footage shot of the late actor.

A third of the movie was filmed in London's Clerkenwell, with Ledger dying in his Manhattan apartment three days after completion. His co-stars, including model Lily Cole, went onto film in Canada.

Last month it was revealed that Ledger's fortune would go to his daughter, Matilda Rose.

In his will, which was probated behind closed doors at the Australian Supreme Court in Perth, Ledger left everything to his parents and three sisters. But the will was signed by the actor on April 12, 2003 - two years before Matilda was born.

It was expected that Ledger's former fiancee, Michelle Williams, would lodge a claim on the will on behalf of their two-year-old daughter. But Ledger's father, Kim, instead revealed that the family had decided to give everything to Matilda.
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Kay-Nasty

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Just Sending Up A Prayer Of Thanks"
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2008, 06:41:04 pm »
Found this on IMDb, thought it was a nice sum up of what little is known about this movie. I'm so excited to see it. Hope it does Heath justice. But either way, I'm planing on seeing it at least three times on the big screen. I need to hold on as long as possible.

PREMISE: The immortal Doctor Parnassus (Christopher Plummer) has an imaginarium -- a traveling theatre -- which lets its participants enter a magical mirror and experience something of a parallel universe. He can do this thanks to a deal he made with The Devil (Tom Waits). Now, he's come to collect his due and targets Parnassus' daughter (Lily Cole).

Tony (Heath Ledger) joins Parnassus' troupe and eventually has to enter the imaginarium to rescue the girl. Upon entering, he changes into three different incarnations (Johnny Depp/Jude Law/Colin Farrell).

PRODUCTION: They shot all the real world scenes throughout December and completed about 2/3 of the film. When Heath died, he was on a brief break and only had two weeks left. That means, in spite of the three actors finishing his performance, Heath should be in most of the film or at least half of it. This is more than just a bit of footage, this is a real performance.

RELEASE: All we know is that LionsGate picked it up for a 2009 release. It's been in post-production for quite some time so it will probably be done soon. Expect a festival screening or two. We will all be able to see it, despite the skepticism that it will fall apart because of "the Gilliam curse." The Dark Knight is not Heath Ledger's last film. It's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. The end.

"I never had money, and I was very happy without it. When I die, my money's not gonna come with me. My movies will live on - for people to judge what I was as a person."  ~Heath, I swear

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2008, 04:29:14 pm »
Can´t wait for it to come out!
I really hope it will go up in the theathers here. I want to see him on the big screen one more time so badly.

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2008, 09:16:56 am »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/dec/14/terry-gilliam-remembers-heath-ledger

Heath Ledger
The actor, who died aged 28 on 22 January from an accidental overdose, remembered by the director who was working with him at the time

by Terry Gilliam
The Observer, Sunday 14 December 2008

Heath Ledger. Photograph: Rex Features

Any time I try to describe Heath it becomes a series of clichés, because he was extraordinary and, unfortunately, most of those clichés have already been used up on lesser people.

I met him for the first time in LA around 2001, when we were working on The Brothers Grimm. He was a ball of energy, firing on all cylinders, and he had a magnetic quality. I liked him immediately and even though I hadn't actually seen Heath in anything at that point,

I said to him: 'You're on. Let's do it.'

He was one of those blessed human beings who have the facility to do so many things at the same time. When he wasn't acting, he was directing music videos and supporting young musicians. He was working on the script for a film he was preparing to direct. He had an incredibly artistic side, and he was practically a grand master at chess. That's why, when he died, it was as if half of the world had collapsed.

He died halfway through the film I'm currently making, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. We had finished shooting in London on Saturday night. On Sunday, I went to Vancouver to prepare for the next stage and Heath went to New York. He was supposed to be turning up in Vancouver on the Friday. On Tuesday he was dead.

None of us could deal with it. It was impossible - that was the problem. It was absolutely impossible that this could be a fact. But there it was. I was working in the art department when I heard the news, and we stayed there all afternoon. At sunset, thousands of ravens flew over the window and I thought: those are the ravens from The Brothers Grimm, and they are all going to salute Heath.

In terms of his acting, it still rankles with me that he's dead because he would have been streets ahead of anyone else in his generation. He just kept getting better and better. He was fearless. On Parnassus, he was improvising all the time and it was better than what we had written. I don't normally encourage that kind of improvisation, but in a sense I felt Heath was writing this film. He was an incredibly funny performer when he wanted to be - his comic timing was just extraordinary - and then he could break your heart the next minute.

Usually, with actors, it's all about themselves. But it was never like that with Heath. He was completely supportive of everything else around him. He got better performances out of other actors - he just drew it out of them. He was utterly generous and always aware of everyone else, and he behaved as if there was nothing special about him - he was just a guy.

His physicality was extraordinary, too. I remember Monica Bellucci turning up to make Grimms. She went into the make-up room and Heath's picture was on the wall. She hadn't met him and I don't think she knew exactly who he was, but immediately she went, whoosh, to that picture. That was the kind of attraction Heath had. Women adored him and men loved him.

We've all agreed to call Parnassus 'A film from Heath Ledger and friends' because I don't think it is a Terry Gilliam film. I think it's something that his life and death has created. When he died, I said it was over. We can't carry on. But everybody said, 'You've got to carry on' - for the film, for Heath's last performance. It wasn't possible for any one person to replace him so we made the quantum leap and got three people - Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law. The Holy Trinity. They came in and they pulled it off and I think it works brilliantly.

When he died, there were all these nonsensical stories coming out about Heath Ledger, James Dean and River Phoenix, all destroyed by the system - but that's bullshit. What happened was an absurd accident. I still don't understand it. I know he was exhausted - the last thing he said was that he was so tired and just wanted to sleep. You actually think at certain times angels come down to earth and Heath might have been one of them. And then he's gone and you think: this is all wrong, all the other people should be dead. He should be leading us all into a wonderful world of adventure.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »
Beautiful article.  Thanks for posting, Bruce, both here and in the Heath Remembrance forum.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2008, 11:07:36 am »
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/CityHome.asp?xfile=data/citytimes/2008/December/citytimes_December130.xml&section=citytimes&col=
Terry Nice to Meet You
David Light

14 December 2008

Off the wall director and ex-Monty Python animator Terry Gilliam gives an in-depth account of his latest projects, including directing Heath Ledger’s last film during which he tragically passed away and what receiving the lifetime achievement here in Dubai award means to him

THE DUBAI INTERNATIONAL Film Festival honours three individuals for their lifetime contribution to the art of cinema every year. This year’s Honouree from the west is director Terry Gilliam, one time Monty Python star and since then a hugely successful director famed for creating a rich visual tapestry in his regularly unconventional movies. He comes to Dubai on the back of completing his latest work ‘The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus,’ the last film to star the late Heath Ledger. As well as collecting the award fans and industry professionals had the rare opportunity to engage in a discussion with Gilliam on Friday evening discussing the life and work of this remarkable man.

Film writer and DIFF programmer Sheila Whitaker has said on honouring Terry, “It is an honour to host Terry Gilliam at DIFF this year, since he has contributed so much to cinema as a director, providing audiences with wonderlands of imagination and creativity. Everyone at the One on One evening heard lively stories about working with some of today’s biggest stars, as well as a candid look at the business of film and the struggles of being a maverick filmmaker.”

Gilliam’s films are highly imaginative fantasies, often with a dark, paranoid atmosphere and a healthy dose of black comedy. After moving to the UK from the United States Gilliam started his career as an animator and strip cartoonist with Monty Python’s Flying Circus, his highly surreal, distinctive cartoons linking the show’s sketches together.  His ‘Brazil’ (1985), set in a colourful, Kafka-esque world where characters battle with a senseless bureaucracy that aims to control every aspect of their lives, met with large cult success, and ‘The Fisher King’ (1991), starring Robin Williams, was nominated for five Academy Awards. ‘Twelve Monkeys’ (1995) starring Brad Pitt and Bruce Willis grossed over $168 million worldwide.

Gilliam’s current project is ‘The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus,’ now in post-production. Filming was temporarily halted following the death of star Heath Ledger in New York City in January 2008 but Colin Farrell, Johnny Depp and Jude Law volunteered to continue as three different versions of Ledger’s character furthering the ‘magical’ world of the film.

“Basically the movie (Dr Parnassus) is finished apart from about 600 special effects shots which are not quite finished,” Gilliam told City Times. “We’re in the final stages of development. Some of the effects have to be reshot because of Heath’s passing. He’s never computer generated in the film, but certain other things have to be changed. We had to change the script in certain ways. It was also partly due to the schedules of Johnny, Colin and Jude because they were all involved in other projects and we had to shoot very fast and not as controlled as I would like to be just to get them done. We literally had Johnny for a day and a half and I had a lot of work to do. Trying to work the transitions out from Heath’s character to the others took longer in some instances so everything just started growing.”

Gilliam used everything he had already shot of Ledger despite the rewrites that occurred. “I used every inch of film. I managed to do it in a couple of days (the rewrite). It was a matter of making a few key decisions and just going for it. A few scenes Heath would have been in I tried to do them with some clever tricks but in the end decided not to. Things just got rearranged. I didn’t come here prepared to deal with the details of the film so I’m still trying to work out what I did.”

As with all director/ actor relationships during filming Gilliam and Heath got very close. Terry remembers the time he got the tragic news that Ledger had been found dead. “I was in the art department arguing over the set trying to save five thousand dollars. My daughter Amy who’s one of the producers of the film came in and said you better come into the office. I said I was busy trying to save five thousand dollars. But I went in the office and it was there on the BBC website that Heath had been found dead. My first reaction was that it was Warner Brothers, it was a publicity stunt. Of course it wasn’t. We were so close to Heath, he was like family, it was terrible so we just lay on the ground for the rest of the day and that was it. I still can’t believe it and there are days where I’m not quite sure he is dead because I work with him every day in the editing room.”

“I didn’t expect what happened in this film so I’m not giving anything away. You’ll have to go and see it. My original thought when we got the news about Heath was to close the movie down. Everybody around me said that would betray Heath and his work so there were suggestions of getting another actor to do the rest of the film. There is no way one actor can replace Heath so I made the leap to get several actors. Johnny was the first guy I called and he said, ‘I’m there when you need me.’ It was the same with Jude and Colin. They all knew Heath well and they all loved him and told me that whatever was necessary they would do.”

The three actors that replaced Ledger essentially worked for free as they donated all the earnings they made to Heath’s daughter.

In regards to rumours in the press that Heath was unhappy with his life in his final days Gilliam completely disagrees. “People have tried really hard to turn him into James Dean and said it was the system that killed him. That’s B*******! We were working the Saturday night in London and then I went to Vancouver and he went to New York. The Tuesday morning he was dead. He was so full of life and energy and was having fun doing this film. He did his own stunts, leaping and crashing to the ground, there was nothing he couldn’t do-he was so full of life.” There have also been reports that Ledger sank so far into his dark roles that it was difficult for him to resurface. Again Gilliam debunks those statements. “Heath would do a take and the minute it was over he would be telling jokes. He was never dominated with his character. He told me that the character of the Joker freed him up and he was enjoying it, doing things that he never normally got to do. The system has worked very hard to turn him into the new James Dean and he is not.   

Gilliam’s other films whilst being visually stunning notoriously hit many snags along the way. One of his pictures, which he has recently returned to, ‘Quixote,’ has been on hold for seven years. “The problem is that it has been tied up in legal. We have finally managed to unravel it and have got the script back and we are in the process of rewriting it because having not seen it for seven years, what we thought was perfect I realise it isn’t and it’s time to go back. I think this film has had the most publicity of any film before its release.”

Gilliam is not one who usually goes in for awards. When asked whether he cares about the Oscars the answer was firmly in the negative. Success for him is making a film he enjoys and hearing stories of people that have been moved by his films. On his lifetime achievement award being presented to him at this year’s DIFF Terry was unusually enthusiastic, “Last night I said it was the most extreme honour anybody in the history of civilisation could ever receive. It is greater than being world emperor. It is the most important thing not only in my life but in your life as well, in all of our lives.”

On Dubai in general Gilliam told us, “I’m torn by this place. When I see the sun setting over it I think it’s beautiful but then of course you get close and see it’s fake. It’s a strange thing but I haven’t really seen the real Dubai yet because I haven’t escaped the resort. They are trying to get films made here which is good and may consider it one day for my projects. It is a work of someone’s imagination and it is very nice.”           

DIFF 2008 will screen Twelve Monkeys on December 14 at 13:00, at Cinestar Mall of the Emirates.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Kay-Nasty

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Just Sending Up A Prayer Of Thanks"
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2008, 01:20:47 pm »
Lights, Camera, Action!
Sci-fi flicks top upcoming 2009 movie releases

By MEREDITH JEAN MORTON
News Chief correspondent

Published: Friday, December 26, 2008 at 4:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Friday, December 26, 2008 at 10:41 a.m

Rounding out the list of buzzed-about movies are "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" and "The Soloist."

"The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus" is set for release Sept. 24 and is directed by Terry Gilliam. Starring Johnny Depp, Heath Ledger, Colin Farrell, Jude Law and Christopher Plummer, the movie centers on a traveling theater company that gives its audience more than they were expecting.

http://www.newschief.com/article/20081226/NEWS/812260307/1024/ENTERTAINMENT?Title=Sci_fi_flicks_top_upcoming_2009_movie_releases

Hmm... Hope the release date is true!!! And I can't believe they didn't credit Heath first. Hmph. That ain't righ' >:( >:(
Good day! ;)

"I never had money, and I was very happy without it. When I die, my money's not gonna come with me. My movies will live on - for people to judge what I was as a person."  ~Heath, I swear