Author Topic: Open Discussion of RPS Stories in Light of Heath's Death  (Read 56127 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Open Discussion of RPS Stories in Light of Heath's Death
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 05:14:53 pm »
However, I think we should respect fanfic readers/writers who have always read or written RPS and who have now decided to stop reading/writing because they feel it isn't respectful to Heath.

Very nicely said, Mel.

I agree with that wholeheartedly, Snavel.  I know that without a lot of cajoling from readers who were RPS fans themselves and who enjoyed my fanfic, I would never have ventured into writing "Falling in Lust", and I think there is a very strong peer pressure factor.

Good point about the peer pressure, Louise.  I hadn't realized the popularity of RPS.

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 05:17:14 pm »
It is popular enough that, even though many RPS authors have declared a moratorium on their stories, and several of us have deleted ours (I know of two other authors who have removed their work since Heath's death) that dissenters claiming an ethical problem with writing and distributing RPS in the fandom were warned against speaking further about it on the DC forum because the comments were construed as condemnatory.  However, there is a very real legal problem, and I myself, though still very upset about Heath's death, cannot imagine reading or writing a fantasy about his love life while his family weeps over his body.  There is something ghoulish about it.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 05:23:53 pm »
It is popular enough that, even though many RPS authors have declared a moratorium on their stories, and several of us have deleted ours (I know of two other authors who have removed their work since Heath's death) that dissenters claiming an ethical problem with writing and distributing RPS in the fandom were warned against speaking further about it on the DC forum because the comments were construed as condemnatory.  However, there is a very real legal problem, and I myself, though still very upset about Heath's death, cannot imagine reading or writing a fantasy about his love life while his family weeps over his body.  There is something ghoulish about it.

Indeed. If nothing else, I think it would be in poor taste.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

mvansand76

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 05:45:58 pm »
However, there is a very real legal problem, and I myself, though still very upset about Heath's death, cannot imagine reading or writing a fantasy about his love life while his family weeps over his body.  There is something ghoulish about it.

*nods*
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 05:17:58 am by Snavel del Snork Snater Snuit »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 06:51:58 pm »
Here is a discussion in Wranglers of "incorporating Heath's death into a Real person slash story"

http://community.livejournal.com/wranglers/1655553.html?view=14370561#t14370561

From the appended comments, more authors have stated that they have removed or will no longer be writing any RPS stories in this fandom.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 08:11:20 pm »
Tell you what, between my last post/leaving the office and now, a thought occurred to me, and I hope this doesn't sound naive. Some of the people who want the RPS stories to continue: I wonder if that's part of their way of wanting to "hold on" to Heath?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 09:02:41 pm »
that doesn't take any guesswork, Jeff, they say that in so many words.  Which really does show that the posture of 'this isn't really about Heath' isn't true.  They do not know Heath personally, and use the stories to feel close to him, even though they are only fantasies.  The difficulty is that they are fantasies that are essentially an intrusion and a lie about a real person which those who know and love him, would find highly distasteful at the least.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 10:23:06 pm »
that doesn't take any guesswork, Jeff, they say that in so many words.  Which really does show that the posture of 'this isn't really about Heath' isn't true.  They do not know Heath personally, and use the stories to feel close to him, even though they are only fantasies.  The difficulty is that they are fantasies that are essentially an intrusion and a lie about a real person which those who know and love him, would find highly distasteful at the least.

Sure enough. That's essentially why I never read RPS. Interesting, though, that some of these people are self-aware enough and honsest enough to say openly that they want these stories to continue as a way of "holding on to Heath," but clearly you're right in saying this disproves the fiction that these stories aren't really about Heath.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 02:31:59 pm »
A perspective from an RPS writer from Cologne who flew to New York to say goodbye to Heath:

"One thing I found out on this trip: I´ll never read or write RPS again, although I´ve loved it more than anything else here. There´ll be only au!, au!au etc for me in the future because I can´t square with my conscience to write about Heath Ledger. I was very into RPS and it gave me strenght and happiness. But when I was standing there in front of his house and took a look over all the flowers, candles and letters I realized that it was wrong to write these stories. It´s Ennis who has touched me so deeply and I know that Heath will live through him in this fandom and that we´ll never forget him."

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1885039.html?view=17238895#t17238895

Offline trekfan

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Their Love Will Live Forever!
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 06:19:09 pm »
I think this is a difficult subject to come up with a conclusion on.   I can respect those who wrote RPS and have decided not to continue and to delete what they had.   And I know out of respect for his family writing something now would be disrespecful.

I know some writers who were using Heath and Jake's names but their stories had nothing to do with their RL and those stories I have enjoyed.   

I have only written one RPS.  I am not going to delete it.  Whether I would write another one I have no idea.   

I respect those who have decided not to continue.

all I know is I miss Heath and I hope he is at peace.  And I hope his family has the strength to go on.