Author Topic: Open Discussion of RPS Stories in Light of Heath's Death  (Read 56137 times)

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
Re: Open Discussion of RPS Stories in Light of Heath's Death
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2008, 09:36:07 pm »

I believe that, if you wonder if writing or reading RPS is wrong or not, all you have to do is imagine that Heath is reading along with you over your shoulder.

Hmm that sounds kinda hot  ;)

I write RPS and I would love for any of the people I write about to read it and hey, maybe get a few ideas from it!

It's just unfair to put your requirements on someone else's art. To me it is all about creative freedom and stifling that is a big no no in my book. If you choose not to read it or write it, fine. But let those that wish to write, write. I agree with everything El_wing said, brilliantly worded and factually correct.

Maybe its a generational thing? Younger writers tend to embrace RPS more than writers of a greater, more conservative age. I've seen that pattern a lot in the various fandoms I have been a part of and in the BBM/RPS fandom as well.

And I would be delighted if someone wrote an RPS about me. I would just hope they had me getting laid on the regular! LOL!

RPS was a fantasy before and its a fantasy now. Heath's death doesn't change a thing, for better or worse and hey if it brings a writer joy to write RPS, who are we to deny them comfort and happiness?

Proud Supporter, Writer, and Reader of RPS

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2008, 10:47:25 pm »
It's just unfair to put your requirements on someone else's art. To me it is all about creative freedom and stifling that is a big no no in my book. If you choose not to read it or write it, fine. But let those that wish to write, write. I agree with everything El_wing said, brilliantly worded and factually correct.

Sorry, Friend, but I disagree that making up sex stories about living or recently deceased celebrities is an issue of creative freedom.

Maybe its a generational thing? Younger writers tend to embrace RPS more than writers of a greater, more conservative age. I've seen that pattern a lot in the various fandoms I have been a part of and in the BBM/RPS fandom as well.

Hmmm.  :-\

RPS was a fantasy before and its a fantasy now. Heath's death doesn't change a thing, for better or worse and hey if it brings a writer joy to write RPS, who are we to deny them comfort and happiness?

I think someone who derives solace from writing sex fantasy stories about a recently deceased actor should find out why this sort of thing gives him or her comfort and happiness.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2008, 10:55:16 pm »
Sorry, Friend, but I disagree that making up sex stories about living or recently deceased celebrities is an issue of creative freedom.

I think someone who derives solace from writing sex fantasy stories about a recently deceased actor should find out why this sort of thing gives him or her comfort and happiness.

Hmm who said RPS had to be all about sex? I don't have a problem if it is, but not all RPS is sex. I know a lot of RPS that doesn't even have sex in it whatsoever so that argument falls a little flat.

The same thing could be said about fan fiction and maybe that they're even more insane since those people are not even real. I mean, playing devil's advocate here but people say that and I don't agree with that statement either.

My motto has always been more power to those who are creative and get happiness from it.  :)

My motto of writing is also, live and let write.  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2008, 11:15:57 pm »
Hmm who said RPS had to be all about sex? I don't have a problem if it is, but not all RPS is sex. I know a lot of RPS that doesn't even have sex in it whatsoever so that argument falls a little flat.

Well, go back to the beginning of this discussion thread. The general import then was that we are talking about sex stories here.

And if it doesn't have sex in it, is it really "slash"?

It's always good to be sure of your terms, so you don't talk past each other. The first explanation I was ever given about "slash" fiction was that it involved sex between two individuals who would not ordinarily be expected to have sex with each other. The example used was Capt. James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock. A more recent example might be a hot little story I read last year involving a sexual encounter between Michael Weatherly's character from N.C.I.S. and David James Eliot's character from JAG.

If it's not about sex, I suppose I would just consider it fanfiction. You can conclude from that statement that I don't consider Brokeback Mountain fanfiction "slash" because Ennis and Jack do have sex with each other.

If you want to write a story, say, about Heath and Jake solving the murder of a grip on the set of Brokeback Mountain, fine and dandy. To me that's just fanfiction. But if it ain't sex, it ain't slash, and my comments aren't about fiction that's not about sex.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2008, 11:18:58 pm »
There are two terms in current common use:  RPF and RPS.  RPF is Real Person Fiction, and RPS is Real Person Slash.  And RPS is a story about a sex relationship, and in this fandom, it involves a sex relationship between Jack and Heath.  So I would argue that in this context, the objections being raised are specifically about postulating a homosexual relationship between two admittedly heterosexual men, Jake and Heath.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2008, 11:28:26 pm »
There are two terms in current common use:  RPF and RPS.  RPF is Real Person Fiction, and RPS is Real Person Slash.  And RPS is a story about a sex relationship, and in this fandom, it involves a sex relationship between Jack and Heath.  So I would argue that in this context, the objections being raised are specifically about postulating a homosexual relationship between two admittedly heterosexual men, Jake and Heath.

Thanks for that, Louise. Indeed, I'm not objecting to RPF. I'm not sure I even have an opinion about RPF. My concerns are about RPS.

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2008, 12:10:34 am »
So the issue here is sex and not the fact that its about real people? Oh okay because I thought the 'distasteful' part of RPS was that they people were real, but I now see we are discussing something else entirely.

So sex is perverse? Is it more acceptable if its a man and a woman having sexual relations in RPF?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2008, 01:09:47 am »
I think Jeff was stating his own opinion, blacktears.

I have stated my own reservations and objections in many posts throughout this thread, and summarized them here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,16622.msg326853.html#msg326853

RPF - stories with no sexual content - were never under discussion, because that is not what I wrote, and that is not what RPS in this fandom is about.    However, the reservations I stated are not obviated by there being no sex content in the story - they would be obviated by the subjects giving their PERMISSION for the stories.  Which of course, is unlikely if not impossible.  Certainly impossible in the case of Heath, and aggravated, in my opinion, by the circumstance of his death.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2008, 10:01:25 am »
So the issue here is sex and not the fact that its about real people? Oh okay because I thought the 'distasteful' part of RPS was that they people were real, but I now see we are discussing something else entirely.

So sex is perverse? Is it more acceptable if its a man and a woman having sexual relations in RPF?

Excuse you. Nobody said anything about sex being "perverse." That isn't what this discussion is about.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2008, 10:12:12 am »
Indeed. If nothing else, I think it would be in poor taste.

Yes it would Jeff. I,ve read RPS before about Jake and Heath but now, in light of Heaths tragic death, I feel that for authors to write RPS about them, whether or not they are having sex, is extreemly disrepectful to Heaths family, hie friends and his memory. It,s not the legalities of it that bothers me because I don,t write. It,s the principal of the matter. It,s WRONG....end of.