Author Topic: Open Discussion of RPS Stories in Light of Heath's Death  (Read 56126 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: Open Discussion of RPS Stories in Light of Heath's Death
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2008, 10:18:48 am »
(quoted Louise: "if someone wrote a fictional story about me in an intimate relationship with someone and made up the facts - I would sue them.")  I wouldn't sue. But that's me. 

Actually, whether I'd sue might depend on (1) how long ago it was and (2) who it was....    ;D

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2008, 10:23:00 am »
I don't know about other people, but I don't think I'd be writing fan fiction about Ennis and Jack if it weren't for Heath and Jake's portrayal of them.

I agree with that. The casting for portraying these two characters on film was perfect.

We are essentially fantasizing about the actors, not Jack and Ennis. If you'd only read Annie's story in the New Yorker, would we be having this discussion?

Can't agree with that one. In both reading and writing fanfiction, I'm thinking of the characters as those actors portrayed them; not the actors themselves. There's a nice but definite distinction. Of course, I can't speak for other readers and/or writers, but suspect that this is what's going on with many people.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2008, 10:23:30 am »
Hmm that sounds kinda hot  ;)

I write RPS and I would love for any of the people I write about to read it and hey, maybe get a few ideas from it!

It's just unfair to put your requirements on someone else's art. To me it is all about creative freedom and stifling that is a big no no in my book. If you choose not to read it or write it, fine. But let those that wish to write, write. I agree with everything El_wing said, brilliantly worded and factually correct.

Maybe its a generational thing? Younger writers tend to embrace RPS more than writers of a greater, more conservative age. I've seen that pattern a lot in the various fandoms I have been a part of and in the BBM/RPS fandom as well.

And I would be delighted if someone wrote an RPS about me. I would just hope they had me getting laid on the regular! LOL!

RPS was a fantasy before and its a fantasy now. Heath's death doesn't change a thing, for better or worse and hey if it brings a writer joy to write RPS, who are we to deny them comfort and happiness?

Heaths death doesn,t change a thing?? Did I read that right? Errr yes it does actually. The man his dead. How can you possibly even sit there and THINK about writing RPS about him now? Can you not understand that it is totally disrepectful to his memory and his family and friends? I used to read RPS, but I will never read any RPS now involving Jake and Heath. It,s WRONG. Show some respect.

Offline el_wing

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • and bite me too...
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2008, 10:37:41 am »
Heaths death doesn,t change a thing?? Did I read that right? Errr yes it does actually. The man his dead. How can you possibly even sit there and THINK about writing RPS about him now? Can you not understand that it is totally disrepectful to his memory and his family and friends? I used to read RPS, but I will never read any RPS now involving Jake and Heath. It,s WRONG. Show some respect.

Heath's changed us. It changed how you feel about this, which is passionate. I don't have a problem with your belief or your choice to not read or write rps. What I do I have problem with is judgment of others for their choices. You think it's wrong and you believe it's a way to show respect. Please don't imply those who read and write rps don't.
Leaves turn over with the times,
The sun breaks each day with shines,
Hither awhile, then whither back--
It is life that people lack.
     ~el-wing

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2008, 10:46:57 am »
Heath's changed us. It changed how you feel about this, which is passionate. I don't have a problem with your belief or your choice to not read or write rps. What I do I have problem with is judgment of others for their choices. You think it's wrong and you believe it's a way to show respect. Please don't imply those who read and write rps don't.

Well you tell me then, how on earth writing RPS about someone who has just died, is respectful? I can,t see it myself. Writing RPS about Jake and Heath, now, is WRONG. I USED to read RPS, but I won,t be now and I don,t understand how anyone can even consider writing it.

mvansand76

« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2008, 11:09:59 am »
Can't agree with that one. In both reading and writing fanfiction, I'm thinking of the characters as those actors portrayed them; not the actors themselves. There's a nice but definite distinction. Of course, I can't speak for other readers and/or writers, but suspect that this is what's going on with many people.

With both my AU!AUs I hardly even see the actors in my mind anymore, the way they look is very vague in my mind. Both my stories are very far removed from the OS, and the further I get from the OS, the less the characters look like Heath and Jake anymore in my mind. In my stories I am not that descriptive about my characters, but rather about what surrounds them.

I believe that, if you wonder if writing or reading RPS is wrong or not, all you have to do is imagine that Heath is reading along with you over your shoulder.
Hmm that sounds kinda hot  ;)

??? ??? ???

Excuse me? That's beyond disturbing, IMHO. You mean you would find Heath - who is dead - looking over your shoulder and reading RPS about himself and his good friend Jake having sex, hot?

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2008, 11:11:13 am »
Everyone deals with grief in their own way, some want to cry, some want to talk, some want to listen to music, some want to tell jokes ... and some want to write.  So if it helps ease someones pain by writing a story about Heath, then so be it.

Everyone needs to show a little more tolerence..... just my 2 pennies worth.  :)

Susie  :D

Yes Susie they do, no argument with that. But can,t you understand the principal of it? Write about Heath by all means, but NOT RPS. To write about him in such situations now is wrong. Can,t anyone understand that?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2008, 12:13:36 pm »
I think what many people are struggling with is a belief, which is ingrained in many religions (and among those without religious convictions too) that it is disrespectful to speak ill of, or to exploit the memory of the deceased.  There is a lot of anger and grief being expressed elsewhere in this forum at tabloid news outlets writing salacious tidbits about Heath having coke-fueled sex romps in London and attending a drug party and being hauled off to a rehab by Michelle, which was hotly denied by his publicist yesterday.

There are also fictional stories written about coke-fueled sex romps with multiple partners, cheating on Michelle, etc, etc. in RPS stories which are indistinguishable from the tabloid rampage occurring now, and it is a legitimate concern to those who find a) tabloid news doing it and b) rps stories doing it.  What is the real difference?  Both are fictional, though the tabloids claim it is "true".  But is this enough to make a) disrespectful and b) respectful?  To me - it isn't.  Respect for the dead, to me, involves showing discretion and sensitivity to those who are grieving. I cannot imagine Michelle, or Jake, or Heath's family, finding anything respectful about any RPS stories - I think they would be outraged and feel violated by them.

Unfortunately, the mere existence of such stories doesn't lend itself to a "live and let live" situation because to be a member of this fandom and read fanfiction, one must continually trip over the announcements, the summaries, and the excited responses of the readers.  So it is a more complicated situation than simply "don't read."  No one outside of a forum owner has the power to create an "RPS free zone", so those who write and read it will still have free rein to do as they always have done, however, the tolerance level of those who find it disrespectful has been decreased, and they have now been joined by those who may have found it tolerable prior to Heath's death but can no longer endure reading or writing about it, and cannot understand why it would be anything other than disrespectful to Heath's memory.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2008, 12:15:22 pm »
In both reading and writing fanfiction, I'm thinking of the characters as those actors portrayed them; not the actors themselves. There's a nice but definite distinction. Of course, I can't speak for other readers and/or writers, but suspect that this is what's going on with many people.

I agree with you, Marge. You're speaking for me, here.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline el_wing

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • and bite me too...
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2008, 12:20:11 pm »
Yes Susie they do, no argument with that. But can,t you understand the principal of it? Write about Heath by all means, but NOT RPS. To write about him in such situations now is wrong. Can,t anyone understand that?

I understand the principle of it. I just don't think throwing stones at other people and hurting them by calling them immoral is going help either. Can you understand that, in principle?

I cannot imagine Michelle, or Jake, or Heath's family, finding anything respectful about any RPS stories - I think they would be outraged and feel violated by them.

Therein lies the problem. I don't agree. You're assuming here that you know them and what they feel too. Hey, some of the rps were outrageous. Some have bad writing. But here we go again, lumping it all together.
Leaves turn over with the times,
The sun breaks each day with shines,
Hither awhile, then whither back--
It is life that people lack.
     ~el-wing