Author Topic: Open Discussion of RPS Stories in Light of Heath's Death  (Read 56133 times)

Scott6373

Re: Open Discussion of RPS Stories in Light of Heath's Death
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2008, 12:23:28 pm »
Just throwing this out there...

How is RPS any diffrent than all those horendous STAR, People, US magaizine articles about so-and-so sleeping with so-and-so.  I can't buy the whoe "RPS is fiction" line, cuz so ain't the crap in those rags...the entire reading public knows this.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2008, 12:36:05 pm »
I understand the principle of it. I just don't think throwing stones at other people and hurting them by calling them immoral is going help either. Can you understand that, in principle?

Therein lies the problem. I don't agree. You're assuming here that you know them and what they feel too. Hey, some of the rps were outrageous. Some have bad writing. But here we go again, lumping it all together.

I don't believe Souxi has thrown any stones or made any personal attacks.  We have a rule here that personal attacks are not allowed.  Simply stating that "RPS is immoral" is not a personal attack, nor do I believe the comments are aimed at you or other individuals specifically.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2008, 12:46:52 pm »
I understand the principle of it. I just don't think throwing stones at other people and hurting them by calling them immoral is going help either. Can you understand that, in principle?

Therein lies the problem. I don't agree. You're assuming here that you know them and what they feel too. Hey, some of the rps were outrageous. Some have bad writing. But here we go again, lumping it all together.

I never called anyone immoral, I merely said that writing RPS fiction about Jake and Heath having sex, now that poor Heath is no longer with us, is disrepectful and wrong, can,t you understand that in principal?

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2008, 01:04:36 pm »

I already made it clear that I could not know but could only base it upon my own feelings if someone wrote that about me.  I don't know Michelle, but I think I can safely assume that she would be upset if Heath had an affair with Jake while they were living together, so a fictional story about it would be equally upsetting.  It is not an unwarranted assumption, but rather quite a reasonable one.  But this begs the question: it does not matter whether or not they are upset - it matters whether they have given permission to be written about.  And they have not.  Without permission it is not okay, legally or ethically.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2008, 02:11:01 pm »

I'd say the problem is assuming it's OK to write these stories because the survivors--or the principles--haven't said it's not OK. In the case of survivors, I think that shows a lack of sensitivity to the feelings of others.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ENEN

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2008, 07:19:46 pm »
So the issue here is sex and not the fact that its about real people? Oh okay because I thought the 'distasteful' part of RPS was that they people were real, but I now see we are discussing something else entirely.

So sex is perverse? Is it more acceptable if its a man and a woman having sexual relations in RPF?

some sex is perverse...like necrophilia for example.

Offline ENEN

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2008, 07:24:45 pm »
Everyone deals with grief in their own way, some want to cry, some want to talk, some want to listen to music, some want to tell jokes ... and some want to write.  So if it helps ease someones pain by writing a story about Heath, then so be it.

Everyone needs to show a little more tolerence..... just my 2 pennies worth.  :)

Susie  :D

I acknowledge the idea that people grieve in their own way but that does not mean all ways of grieving are acceptable. For example, doing illegal drugs to escape the pain. Also, if someone wants to grieve about Heath by writing a RPS why do they feel the need to make this "act of grief" public? It seems there is something more going on when the story is put on the Internet. That's why  I don't quite but the writing RPS as a way of dealing with grief argument.

Offline ENEN

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2008, 07:31:53 pm »
I already made it clear that I could not know but could only base it upon my own feelings if someone wrote that about me.  I don't know Michelle, but I think I can safely assume that she would be upset if Heath had an affair with Jake while they were living together, so a fictional story about it would be equally upsetting.   It is not an unwarranted assumption, but rather quite a reasonable one.  But this begs the question: it does not matter whether or not they are upset - it matters whether they have given permission to be written about.  And they have not.  Without permission it is not okay, legally or ethically.

Yeah Louise,  I read a story today about how upset Michelle was with US Magazine for printing a false story about Heath. Ledger's publicist released the followinf statement: ""let this grieving family bury their son in private and with dignity". I think that statement sums it up. I must say that I am surprised that the sites that host RPS stories did not at least have some sort of moratorium on posting Heath RPS in honor of his memory and out of respect for his family. Very disappointing.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2008, 07:34:40 pm »
I think what it boils down to, realistically, is that those who feel moved to declare their own moratoriums, do so and not be shy about doing so, because I am not sure anyone's opinion will be changed by this point.

Offline ENEN

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2008, 08:05:32 pm »
I had to smile at this statement .... you have no less than 65 public threads here at Bettermost, all entirely devoted to grieving the death of Heath, so why should these writers be any less entitled to grieve publically?

Incidentally, I'm not a fan of RPS stories, but each to his/her own.

Susie  :)

That's different, those are testimonials not stories that have explicit sexual content involving a person who has just died. There is nothing in those threads that would add to the grief of Heath's family and friends.