Author Topic: Open Discussion of RPS Stories in Light of Heath's Death  (Read 56180 times)

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
Re: Open Discussion of RPS Stories in Light of Heath's Death
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2008, 12:57:47 pm »
there have been no personal attacks made on this forum and no slander has been done.  If you are finding the expression of general opinions regarding the writing of RPS too upsetting then you may wish to avoid this discussion.  For your clarification, the judgement that real person fiction stories are questionable at best and immoral at worst is widely held in publishing circles, and are banned in many fan areas on the internet for this reason.

We all have our opinions here. If I feel I was personally attacked, then my feelings are valid. You are allowed to disagree but I have the final say on what my feelings are. Even in your statement you are insulting me and other authors and readers by calling us immoral. I'm not quite sure how you can't see what you're doing is an insult but it is and very unprofessional for a mod in my personal opinion.

They are questionable and immoral to YOU. That is your and maybe even the opinion of others but that is all it is. Not a fact.

Thank you for the information on publishing circles, its very important to know these things. But the argument here is what we as readers feel about RPS, not about things we can not control whether it be publishing circles or the continued writing and reading of RPS. Gratefully the areas where I read and write are not that close minded as the places you mentioned.

Proud Supporter, Writer, and Reader of RPS

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2008, 01:17:41 pm »
We all have our opinions here. If I feel I was personally attacked, then my feelings are valid. You are allowed to disagree but I have the final say on what my feelings are. Even in your statement you are insulting me and other authors and readers by calling us immoral. I'm not quite sure how you can't see what you're doing is an insult but it is and very unprofessional for a mod in my personal opinion.

They are questionable and immoral to YOU. That is your and maybe even the opinion of others but that is all it is. Not a fact.

Thank you for the information on publishing circles, its very important to know these things. But the argument here is what we as readers feel about RPS, not about things we can not control whether it be publishing circles or the continued writing and reading of RPS. Gratefully the areas where I read and write are not that close minded as the places you mentioned.

Louise certainly doesn't need me to defend her, but she did not call you immoral. She merely reported that in publishing circles, real-person fiction is widely judged to be immoral at worst. That's not the same thing.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2008, 01:22:55 pm »

if you feel the need to talk about a disagreement on this forum, please bring it to private message with the person you feel offended by.  Our stance on Bettermost is to allow disagreeing opinions, and if you feel  upset by them you are welcome to bring it up with the person, however, disagreements of a personal nature are not meant for the public discussion board.   I suggest if you feel insulted to steer away from or ignore those messages that offend you.

However, the messages that are allowed to stand here do not meet our criteria for "personal attack."  To clarify, "RPS is insulting to the family of Heath Ledger" is not a personal attack.  Claiming that it is doesn't make it a personal attack.  And being offended by it does not make it one either.  But you are welcome to share your feelings in PM with anyone with whom you disagree in order to work out a problem.  I should point out as well that personal attacks are also not allowed in private messages and members can report them.

I ask everyone on this thread to steer back to the topic and to close the discussion of feelings of attack.  No one is under attack here - we are sharing our opinions on stories.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2008, 01:23:53 pm »
Louise certainly doesn't need me to defend her, but she did not call you immoral. She merely reported that in publishing circles, real-person fiction is widely judged to be immoral at worst. That's not the same thing.

that is exactly my point, Jeff, thank you!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2008, 02:32:21 pm »
that is exactly my point, Jeff, thank you!

' Welcome!  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2008, 03:06:47 am »
For the record Roux, I have NEVER said anyone is immoral for continuing to write RPS about Heath, I have merely said that IMO it is wrong, now that he has died. And yes I do think it,s disrespctful, I,ve said it before and I,ll say it again. We are all entitled to our opinions and mine is that continuing to write RPS about Heath in sexual situations now that he has died is wrong, and it won,t change. No maybe Michelle and Heaths family will never read RPS about their son, maybe they,ve never heard of it, I don,t know. It,s simply the principal of the thing. I can,t stop writers writing about Heath having sex, even though he,s dead now, sadly that is beyond my control, but I sure as hell don,t have to read it and I won,t. I stand by everything I have said, and if some people don,t like it then thats, just too bad I,m afraid.
oint

Souxi-it seems from your post that you may be missing the point of mine. First and most emphatically, I didn't say you called anyone immoral. I didn't suggest that you (or anyone) are not entitled to your own opinion nor did I suggest that you change your opinion. I don't have trouble with your opinion about RPS. You clearly feel very strongly about it and I completely support your decision to remove it from your life.  I support your right to choose what is best for you just as I support any other person's right to make choices that are approprpriate for him/her-which was my point.

Heathen

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2008, 09:30:09 am »
They are questionable and immoral to YOU [Louise]. That is your and maybe even the opinion of others but that is all it is. Not a fact.

No, actually RPS is questionable in more than one venue. Not even to get into publishing, there were BBM-related forums where they were not discussed, and newsletters were they were not reviewed, well before Heath's passing.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 09:39:31 am by MaineWriter »

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2008, 10:45:44 am »
No, actually RPS is questionable in more than one venue. Not even to get into publishing, there were BBM-related forums where they were not discussed, and newsletters were they were not reviewed, well before Heath's passing.

And that is still the opinion of those people and nothing more.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2008, 12:00:07 pm »
And that is still the opinion of those people and nothing more.

When policies are written in forums to prevent posting of RPS, that is a strong indication that it is not well accepted in the fandom.  Even where it is permitted, i.e. Davecullen.com, it is not allowed to be discussed except in euphemism and never discussed or advertised outside of the private areas of the forum.    More than individual opinion is at work here - there is a far more widespread disapproval, and the reasons for it are much the same as the reasons cited by so many here.

Offline blacktears

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Hudson Heartbreak
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2008, 12:05:19 pm »
When policies are written in forums to prevent posting of RPS, that is a strong indication that it is not well accepted in the fandom.  Even where it is permitted, i.e. Davecullen.com, it is not allowed to be discussed except in euphemism and never discussed or advertised outside of the private areas of the forum.    More than individual opinion is at work here - there is a far more widespread disapproval, and the reasons for it are much the same as the reasons cited by so many here.

Yes and it is still an opinion no matter if 1 person believes it is wrong or 1 million.