Author Topic: My Own Film Score Board!  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
My Own Film Score Board!
« on: January 26, 2008, 03:12:33 pm »
Finally, after about 10 years of being online, I've managed to create a message board devoted to my truly greatest passion. I've been enthralled with film scores since before I was seven years old. I was introduced to the glory of film music with animated films, primarily, but also family films like ET. But it was The Ten Commandments (1956) that truly made me realize how wonderful scores could be. I now have over 100 scores in my collection, including expanded, rejected and promotional albums never released in stores (including the Brokeback expanded score ;)). But for all my passion, I didn't actually start my own board until a few weeks ago.

I was on a Disney board, asking what people's favorite cues and songs were. Now, since cues and songs are different, I had two different threads. The "administrators" (I use those quotation marks on purpose) merged the threads, saying they were too similar to be kept apart. Mind you, these "administrators" were all younger than I, and none of them knew the difference between a cue and a song, or a theme and a motif, or the similarities between composers' works. I was the most knowledgeable score fan on the board, and because I protested the merging, they banned me. So, I started my own message board, where scores will never be treated with disrespect under my watch!

You are all more than welcome to come check it out. There's a special feature called Cue of the Month, where I choose a cue from a score, and I either include a link to a MIDI or a link to a youtube video provided by either myself or one of my members. This month's cue: "Stargate Overture" from Stargate, by David Arnold.

You'll see there is a forum for our dear Gustavo!

Film Score Fans United!

http://anyanikolaievna.proboards60.com/index.cgi
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
Re: My Own Film Score Board!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 10:43:24 pm »
Anya, it's great to see you around... Maybe you can help me find some music CDs. I can't seem to find this particular artist here in the United States, but I here he is beloved in Russia and Japan: Slava Kagan. He's a countertenor whose voice has been compared to a number of things of divine origin, and who was once described as having a Diamond Voice when he performed in London a few years ago.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
Re: My Own Film Score Board!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 12:10:55 am »
It's great to be back love!

I sadly am not familliar at all with Mr. Kagan, but I will certainly look into him if he is as good as you say!

As for recommendations of CDs, on my board there is a thread under General Scores called Recommendations, where I post my personal recommendations for those just getting into scores. It's alphabetical, currently I've just finished the Ls, need to do M-Z yet haha. I hope you check it out and enjoy the insight. Once I'm done, other members will post their own recommendations of scores I've neglected either because I didn't think of them or they weren't in my collection.
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...