Author Topic: For help dealing with sadness ...  (Read 15066 times)

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: For help dealing with sadness ...
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 12:06:15 am »
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 12:13:04 am »
Like the suggestion said - and though I was not expecting it to work, it really did help me - making a bulletin board, a scrap book, something about the one I loved who was lost.  It helped me cope and softened the blow.  I do recommend it. 

In my journal, though I had been writing some of what I was feeling, I had avoided writing the specifics of the day I found out, today I wrote the specifics, and that helped.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 12:15:25 am »
I've heard people say that they believe they don't have a right to feel so bad about Heath's death because they aren't family members or close personal friends.  So I'd like to point out that we all have a right to our feelings, even if no one understands them, or even if we ourselves don't understand them.  Don't beat yourself up for feeling bad about another human being's untimely and sudden death.  Avoid adding guilt or shame to your grief.

Some people think that to fall into despair is an indicative of a character flaw.  They think a strong and capable person should be able to cope, and so when they discover they can't cope they view themselves as worthless.  But if you find yourself in that situation you're not worthless.  You're human.  None of us has the world figured out.  So don't hold yourself to some superhuman standard.

Sometimes in our grief we forget there are things to be thankful for.  So it might help to remember when we're so hurt by a loved one's sudden departure, and insulted by the seemingly unjust way in which they were taken from us, that it was a miracle that they were here at all.  So even in our sadness let us be happy that we had a chance to be touched by Heath's humanity.   

Thanks, gary.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 12:53:21 am »
Hug others helps??

Give yourself a hug: by laughing out loud... till you smile!!

Hugs to you and to all!! Heath hugged us in his wondrous ways, and hugs us still forever - we hug you too dear loved one!!

Offline RedAzaelia

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 02:40:44 am »
Cook or bake. Make something sweet and chocolatey, or a favorite food. Not only is cooking a pretty relaxing, almost zen exercise, nothing warms the soul quite like home-baked cookies, brownies, pasta, etc. So you'll feel better while cooking, and then you get to cheer yourself up with whatever it is you've just made. And even if you mess something up and wind up burning whatever you made, you've still had an adventure.

Writing is an excellent idea, too. I find old-fashioned pen-and-paper writing to be particularly cathartic. Once I get scribbling, it's hard to stop.

Go out with friends or family, and let them know you love them. Just don't be alone. It makes it worse.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 03:59:51 am »
I've heard people say that they believe they don't have a right to feel so bad about Heath's death because they aren't family members or close personal friends.  So I'd like to point out that we all have a right to our feelings, even if no one understands them, or even if we ourselves don't understand them.  Don't beat yourself up for feeling bad about another human being's untimely and sudden death.  Avoid adding guilt or shame to your grief.
Some people think that to fall into despair is an indicative of a character flaw.  They think a strong and capable person should be able to cope, and so when they discover they can't cope they view themselves as worthless.  But if you find yourself in that situation you're not worthless.  You're human.  None of us has the world figured out.  So don't hold yourself to some superhuman standard.
Sometimes in our grief we forget there are things to be thankful for.  So it might help to remember when we're so hurt by a loved one's sudden departure, and insulted by the seemingly unjust way in which they were taken from us, that it was a miracle that they were here at all.  So even in our sadness let us be happy that we had a chance to be touched by Heath's humanity.   

Wow, what great observations, Gary.   :'(

Quote from: RedAzaelia
And even if you mess something up and wind up burning whatever you made, you've still had an adventure.

:laugh:

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 04:08:21 am »

Thank you Gary.   :'(
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 08:45:37 am »
I'm not a teenager, but that sure helped me!

me too!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Artiste

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 10:22:15 pm »
I feel more and more that Heath had a zest for life! Is that the right word? Like happiness... is!!

To me, Heath wants us us all to be happy: then, now and forever!! He was happy doing Ennis, did fight doing that tour-de-force role (against all negatives) so we can all be more and more happy!!

Of course, we are all sad since of his passing; He knows that!! !!Why not remember him being happy in his life and in his role as Ennis?? !!

I will never forget his brilliant role and him as a grand, lovable, amiable person!!

Hugs!!  Thanks Heath for your loveable care and help for Humanity!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 04:01:12 pm »
Thanks for the great suggestions, everybody.

A couple of people have mentioned the value of writing. Many people do find writing to be therapeutic. For those who would like to share their words with others, I'd like to direct you to a new thread on this forum called "Express what you're feeling, at any length," created for you to do just that.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,16698.0.html