Author Topic: Express what you're feeling, at any length  (Read 11810 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Express what you're feeling, at any length
« on: January 28, 2008, 02:53:38 pm »
I've noticed several people have written longish posts describing their feelings about Heath, his effect on their lives, their reaction to his death, their efforts to cope with grief, their ability (or not) to watch Brokeback, their admiration for his talent, etc. At least one person who wrote something long like that said he felt better afterward. Sometimes being able to pour out emotions in writing can be very therapeutic.

So this thread is for people to express themselves. I envision it as less like a discussion than like a blog with multiple authors. Write whatever you like, whatever you're feeling. Don't worry about limiting the length or keeping on topic. Nothing involving Heath is off-topic here, and any length is fine. If you want to comment on others' posts, that's fine too. But if you just want to talk about what you yourself are going through and feeling and thinking, this is the place for it.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:41:33 pm by ineedcrayons »

moremojo

Re: Express what you're feeling, at any length
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 03:08:01 pm »
I am keenly aware of the extensive grief that has engulfed, is engulfing so many of our members...and yet I've felt strangely detached for most of this week. Why? I was certainly saddened and surprised to learn of Heath's unexpected death (was online here when the news broke), and cried a bit, but didn't feel devastated then or since. The reason for this is that I truly believe that Heath is simply in another place right now--the essence of who he is lives on, and indeed, in the fullness of Eternity we will all know him, and he us. I truly believe this. Leslie's remarkable, beautiful story of her visitation from Heath only helps to confirm my faith.

I grieve more for those that are left behind: Michelle, Matilda, the parents, the sisters, the friends, and the fans. We are still grappling with the shadows, the uncertainties, and the pain upon pain that "all flesh is heir to". It is hard, no way around that, and I hope I can always be understanding and supportive of those experiencing grief, just as I hope myself to be comforted when subject to great sadness and hardship. It really is okay to cry for Heath, and it's even okay to cry for Ennis (Lord knows I've done lots of that), but I don't think we need to (unless we need to for our own purposes). Heath and Ennis are FREE, and safe, and loved...and not ever lost.

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 03:14:36 pm »
What a good idea. I was about to post this on the grieving thread, but this seems better. I am not particularly religious, but as my parents are both pastors, I have grown up going to church every Sunday. Then I went away to college, and now only go to church when I am home with my parents. I was home this past weekend and went to church yesterday. At a congregational meeting after the service yesterday, the pastor, who has been the pastor of that church for 30 years (I am only 21 years old) announced that he would retire at the end of the year. I immediately got tears in my eyes, and proceeded to have tears streaming down my face for about 15 more minutes until the end of the meeting. I am usually not someone who cries in public, so this was really weird, but I just couldn't stop. It occurred to me later that I had not cried since hearing about Heath. This pastor is one of the most wonderful people I know, and I have known him my whole life, but I do not think I would normally have had such a strong reaction to news of his retirement. He is not even moving away. He will still be in my hometown, just not the pastor of the church I hardly ever go to anymore. I think that this news combined with news of Heath just really hit me hard. I just wanted to share this with all of you because while almost everyone I know is sad about Heath, I do not think they would understand this. Thank you for listening, and thank you for always being here even when I have been away for so long.  :-*

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 03:15:30 pm »
My feelings are very similar to Scott's here, though I did not feel "detached" through the week, I felt at first rather disoriented and unreal, on Tuesday, and was intensely focused on the news from then until early Thursday.  But by Thursday I was sensing, and also telling people, that all was as it should be, that Heath left us when he had intended to leave us, because it was part of a life plan that none of us really new or understood - that he went on to do other things.  

It felt at first very wrong - that he had left a film uncompleted, questions unanswered, fatherhood that he could not fulfill, but who are we to say what constitutes fulfillment, and who are we to judge whether or not his work was done, by his lights?

My beliefs are that material incarnation is a state of limitation, and that the incorporeal state after the transition of death, is one of liberation and reunion with the All, the Cosmic Intelligence.  The ones who need our sympathy are those who have lost the comfort of his presence, but Heath, as Scott said eloquently enough, is beyond the need for comfort. He has gone home.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 03:35:03 pm »
WE are in pain... was and will be; as the song says on the TV serie: To-day is another day, I know I can make it through!! To that, we can make it through with sadness as well as more and more joys... may I say. I feel that is how Heath did lovingly for himself and for us all too!!

Thanks for the added thread ineedcrayons and well explained! I wish I had your talent!

Thanks too moremojo, and well thought too! I sure wish I had your talent too!!

Thanks Louise too... yours just arrived; I will read it now soon.

There are many ways to feel as we did for many days, do now and will for the rest of our lives.

Some persons are sad, very much some others; some persons as in some cultures rejoice as the accent because that past person lives and did give herself/himself to us all!! Either way, these days are sad as well as we can hope for finding joys Heath brought us for forever!! May I say!!

A brilliant actor making his Ennis real for all of us to be sad as well as happy, and happier and happier!! I feel and see in the superb Heath!! Our SUPERMAN!!

To me, He wanted us to be all happy and amiable always no matter what sex orientations, no matter which issue we cope with... since everything and everyone is important!! He was and still is real to-day and will be forever to me, for me and for all on Earth!!

May I add, that varying and multiplying our threads and posts may help?? Many different subjects too!! And looking at comedies, even this clip about cats talking just sent by my niece helps me; maybe you too?
http://www.metacafe.com/w/937647/

She sent me one too which has cats that do talk! If you like... to see it. Or for anything else/reason/thought/etc., please reach me and  don't be shy!!

Laughing helps... I find now too. I remember Heath laughing as Ennis, plus in his real life; may we all cherish that too!!

Something I forgot... will be said later I guess. I like all comments!!

Hugs to you 2 and to all too!!  Heath we like your smiles!! Always will too!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 03:39:23 pm »
Thanks cmr107! Thanks Louise!

I had not seen your comment, which I enjoy too.

Louise, I appreciate yours which helps too!!

Hugs, hugs!!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 03:59:31 pm »
I have been feeling calm about things lately.
I posted this little piece in my blog, didn't know if I should bring it here. 
I couldn't get these words out of my head, so I wrote them down.  It helped a great deal.
Anyway, here it is..

Goodnight, My Little Darling

He could hardly believe his eyes.  She was here at last.  She was his… his flesh and blood… his child.  He couldn’t get over how small she was.  He traced a finger along her soft jaw, terrified his rough hands might bruise the tender skin.  She whimpered and was still.  He wondered if she was asleep or not.  Her eyes were tightly shut, she was only two days old.  He looked at her perfect little fingers and toes, and tears pooled in his eyes.  Everything is different now, he thought, holding her protectively in his arms. 

Most times, he felt like a kid himself; an adventurous child traveling a maze-like path on a long journey through life.  Everything he’d done in his life, up to this point, he thought, was mediocre, unimportant.  Everything paled in comparison to this event of her arrival.  Nothing could be the same after this.  This tiny infant carried a part of his soul.  They would be forever linked – come hell or high water, every single day in life or in death.  She would be his hub, the very axis around which his world revolved. 

~~xo~~

They’ve heard the news by now.  His child is nestled in her mother’s arms.  The young woman clutches her child and presses the little fair head to her bosom.  She is distraught, shaken and crying into her child’s head.   He sits on the bed beside them and catches a fallen tear.  In time, she will hear his words and understand that she is not alone…Maybe then, she will see that he is fine.  There is no pain or blinding darkness.  Not now..

I have been a traveler for as long as I can recall. 
I think I learned to die every day I breathed
for I lived the day alone and tried not to worry the next.
That does not change even now.
You know I wouldn’t stop the journey now, even if I could.
You know a grave is not my final stop.
I found my way to this world beyond; I knew the route somehow.
I lost any fear I might have harbored because you are here too.
My body or my heart did not love you, for bodies perish
My soul loved you; it did then and it does now.
This is not the end, my love, don’t cry..

~~xo~~

He sits cross-legged on the floor beside her bed and gently moves a lock of fair hair from her sleepy forehead.  Daddy’s little girl, he whispers, before a soft smile eases across his lips.  Her little brown eyes partially open for a moment before she closes them again.

My little girl…
You are still my hub.
You are still the axis around which my world revolves
I couldn’t love you more than I do now.
I am here to tuck you in when you go to sleep
I am here when you are sad or happy or hungry or tired
I will still carry you upon my shoulders like I used to
I will be here on every birthday, on your first day of school,
Whenever you wish to see me, I’ll be here.
I no longer have to go for days or weeks without seeing you
I never have to be parted from you again,
For where I am now, you are always..

He kisses the little hand clutching the blanket draped over her sleeping body and then places a soft kiss on her forehead.

How peacefully she slumbers..
Goodnight, my Little Darling, sweet dreams…

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 05:29:49 pm »
I actually nearly fainted when I heard. All the blood drained from my body, and I felt all tingly, lightheaded and sick. I thought that only happened in movies.

I found this in my email yesterday, from when I first saw Brokeback and emailed a friend who's an (unrealistically, I'm afraid) aspiring screenwriter and director:

"The screenplay and dialogue brought out facets of the characters and their relationships that I don't remember being there before. The screenplay wasn't entirely faithful to the original story... I felt it brought new life to it. And the acting was tremendous. Especially Heath Ledger... I've never seen anyone convey so much while appearing to say so little. His character was not nearly so complex in the original story.

So there you have it. If you ever decide to adapt something, take the original story and its characters beyond what the writer gives you. Oh, and get Heath Ledger to star in it. And Ang Lee to direct it. heh

But seriously, the acting... wow. If you are blessed with one performance from any of your future actors that's even a fraction of what Heath Ledger pulled off here, count yourself lucky. Then count the nominations."

CRAP. We should have had DECADES more of this. Heath could have done that entire movie without speaking one line, and STILL projected every facet of who that character was. And no one else could have made me watch movies like "A Knight's Tale" or "The Patriot" a million times. No other actor ever inspired me to watch genres I don't normally enjoy (truthfully, I might not have ever watched BBM had he not been cast. Not big on "western" themes, but of course now I know BBM is much more). This kid was magic. I'd always wanted to see him in a play.

I put on Brokeback almost immediately. I felt I had to... get right back on the horse, so to speak, for fear I never would be able to again. But I still can't bring myself to watch my beloved "10 Things I Hate About You" because it's where I first saw him (and found out that at 35, I was lusting after a teenager... gulp) and I'm not ready yet to watch him so young and happy and carefree, his whole life ahead of him. I feel like just hiding the DVD. Don't know when I'll be ready to get back on that horse.

It hurts. It just hurts.

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 07:04:47 am »
Crayons, thank you for the thread. I am going to let my heart speak without re-reading this post.

I came downstairs from my shower at 7 a.m. and was having tea.  My husband was watching a music channel and I said to him, “put it onto GMTV (which we always watch) and I can see the news.  Something will have happened and we’ll have missed it”.  I was actually thinking about the twin towers!  As soon as it turned over and I heard the words, my hand slapped over my mouth.  I was in shock for about 45 minutes and then left to go to work.  I was on the bus and it started to sink in. 

By the time I got to work, I felt as if I had been punched.  My chest was tight and restricted and my tummy hurt.  My head was pounding.  I came in and told all of my colleagues about it, except for one who didn’t start until later.  He texted me, “Heath Ledger has died.  If you didn’t know, phone me, if you did, are you OK?”.  I couldn’t call him, I couldn’t function, I put my phone straight to voicemail and went online to see what every news channel had said. 

Later on that day, one of my colleagues said she had seen it on the previous evening’s Ten O’Clock news.  Well, I immediately cried (for the first time).  I felt as if I had abandoned him, that he had died and was in the process of moving on whilst I was safely tucked up in bed.

I got that into perspective a little, and went home and phoned everyone I knew.  No-one understood how I could grieve so for an actor.  I cried and cried all night, and tried to talk through each possibility of why he died with my husband.  He helped me, and I ended that evening knowing that a lost life is a lost life, and it doesn’t matter how or where.  What matters are the lessons we can learn, so the loss of precious life is not in vain.

The next couple of days passed in a haze of crying and adrenaline.  I spoke about it non stop and then would go into myself. 

Until late Friday, after a bottle of wine, I felt as if I had lost my faith to the extent of where the soul goes upon death.  I felt as if my whole belief system had gone.  How can a young man with so much potential and so many positive thoughts from this community and others end up passing on?

And then I got angry.  Angry at the paps, angry at those vultures who take delight in showing us pictures and videos of Heath being taken away from his flat.  I felt as if he had lost his dignity and, again, it was my husband who said that Heath was not there anymore, he was in Heaven (of which I had regained my faith) and his body was the carrier of his spirit.

Now this made sense.  Although he was amazingly handsome, it was his life that was amazing.  His personality and ethos.  His bravery in playing Ennis (when he knew what some imbeciles reactions would be), giving it his all, becoming Ennis is what he gave the world.  He offered support to the gay community, showed the world the meaning of love. 

He showed everyone how a life half lived is not really a life.  Although he only lived a small part of his life, what he contributed to the world was a lifetime’s work.     

So, I guess what I am trying to say that I am devastated, grieving and the sadness I feel at sometimes is almost unbearable. 

But I feel hope in the lessons he taught me.  I will try and live everyday as if it were my last.  I will love with my heart, not my mind. 

I have more to say but can't articulate it just now, so I may be back. 

Offline AngelaNicole

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:05:49 am »
Hi,this is my 1rst time posting here. I was posting on the imdb boards, but too many trolls there now.lol I will read both, but its kinda annoying when people can be so disrespectful, and there are PLENTY on that board! Anyways, I am extremely saddened by Heaths Loss. I feel all his fans and hollywood has lost one of the most promising stars it will ever have. I have cried, and I am still in  a state of shock! I cant believe hes gone:(  I  find it especially hard when people close to my age die so suddenly: It breaks my heart! I loved his movies and he was so talented and so mature for his age. I am still grieving and kinda in the denial stage. I dont want him to be gone! I wish I could have met him, seen more of his movies, I wish he was still here.I will continue to watch Heaths movies in memory of him. I have seen BBM, candy, 10 things, a knights tale, and the Patriot so far.I look forward to seeing them all. I have never been affected by a death like this, it hit me like a ton of bricks. He seemed so healthy, strong, and young, this was so unexpected. I mean you never heard anything bad about this guy ya know?? How in the world can he be gone :( I dunno. I think God has a bigger plan for him I guess. I am a religious person and feel in my heart he is with the angels in heaven. Maybe even acting up there ;) RIP heath, I love you always! Your fan, Angela.xoxo