Author Topic: BBM DVD WATCHING Habits and Reactions: THINKIN' OUT LOUD... POWERFUL FILM SCENES  (Read 15219 times)

rtprod

Let's see, now for another sad scene. Well, the scene at the beginning of "Beyond Rangoon" when Patricia Arquette comes home to find her husband and son murdered by a burglar really got to me. Part of it may have been that I had a six-month-old son and was probably still surging with hormones. (It's actually not the most tragic part of the movie.) Any child death scene is pretty hard to take, though. Same with the end of "Hotel Rwanda," where they reunite with some of the kids, but it's clear that the others have been killed.

You have no idea how it pleasures me (was that the right expression?) to see that you have mentioned this all-but-lost film, not available on DVD.  There is a scene late in the film with Patricia Arquette crying and mourning the loss of her son, and it's raw as hell and she's so good in it.  This is one great movie. 

rt

dmmb_Mandy

I have yet to see Bugsy, but I like Annette Bening so I really should see it.

Well, I have to confess, I don't even own an "official" copy yet - the release date for BBM in Aust was announced on Friday - 20th July... what's up with THAT?!?!?!?

Sheyne, WHAT? I didn't realize that you didn't have a copy. What me to buy ya one and sent it to ya? Lemme know. And it's funny that y'all are talking about The Incredibles (which I LOVED), Sheyne and I were just talking about the other day.

Another scene I really liked was Nicole Kidman as Virginia Woolf in The Hours, when talking abour her condition, Virginia says to Leonard: "If I were thinking clearly, Leonard, I would tell you that I wrestle alone in the dark, in the deep dark, and that only I can know. Only I can understand my condition. You live with the threat, you tell me you live with the threat of my extinction. Leonard, I live with it too." I loved Ed Harris in the film too, as Richard Brown, and he has some great scenes; "I've stayed alive for you. But now you have to let me go."

rtprod

I have yet to see Bugsy, but I like Annette Bening so I really should see it.

Sheyne, WHAT? I didn't realize that you didn't have a copy. What me to buy ya one and sent it to ya? Lemme know. And it's funny that y'all are talking about The Incredibles (which I LOVED), Sheyne and I were just talking about the other day.

Another scene I really liked was Nicole Kidman as Virginia Woolf in The Hours, when talking abour her condition, Virginia says to Leonard: "If I were thinking clearly, Leonard, I would tell you that I wrestle alone in the dark, in the deep dark, and that only I can know. Only I can understand my condition. You live with the threat, you tell me you live with the threat of my extinction. Leonard, I live with it too." I loved Ed Harris in the film too, as Richard Brown, and he has some great scenes; "I've stayed alive for you. But now you have to let me go."

Yes, yes.  Um, the scene in The Hours that kills me is Meryl Streep collapsing in the kitchen after Jeff Daniels comes to visit.....

rt

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I relate so painfully well to all the women in The Hours, but particularly Virginia Woolf and Julianne Moore's character.  That scene when the latter's husband leaves for the day on his birthday, and she turns to look at her son sitting there, and you know she's thinking, "What the hell am I gonna do with him all day?"  But not in the usual put-upon but otherwise content mother kind of way - in a clinically depressed kind of way.  I was going through it at the time I saw this movie, and though my son was only two months old at the time, she just really resonated there - so much so that I was filled with this dread like, "Oh, God - what if that's what my life is going to become?"

Also, Nicole Kidman looking in the mirror at herself at one point, with those blank, blank eyes, but yet with fear behind them.  She totally nailed what clinical depression looks like.  You look at yourself in the mirror, and you see someone you don't recognize looking back at you.  It's terrifying, but you're too numb to feel even terror fully.
No more beans!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
I try not to select chapters when I watch BBM, but I can't resist the urge.. :).
Aside from the 2 tent scenes, I have watched the 'reunion' scenes over and over again..*sigh*.

As for scenes from other movies:
Priest - Anyone seen this film? I love it!  I can't pick 1 scene alone, but if I absolutely have to, it'd be the scene where Father Greg weeps on his knees, questioning God and praying for a helpless 14-year old girl in his parish who is being sexually-molested by her father. 
Also, I can feel Father Greg's pain, anguish and guilt in the scene where he returns home after a sexual encounter with a man at the local bar. 

Maurice -  The look on Maurice's face when Clive and his new bride drive off after their wedding; and the whole scene with Scudder going up to Maurice's room in the middle of the night.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
Priest - Anyone seen this film? I love it!  I can't pick 1 scene alone, but if I absolutely have to, it'd be the scene where Father Greg weeps on his knees, questioning God and praying for a helpless 14-year old girl in his parish who is being sexually-molested by her father. 
Also, I can feel Father Greg's pain, anguish and guilt in the scene where he returns home after a sexual encounter with a man at the local bar. 

YES! Linus Roache is perfect in that movie. That scene right near the end, where you THINK everything is okay cause he's been accepted back into the church but then everyone lines up to accept communion from the other priest and the look on his face. But he holds it all in.  And then the young girl walks up to him, takes the communion and they both hold each other and cry. I cannot watch this part without sobbing. I love this film for the fact that it also has the always-brilliant Tom Wilkinson and Robert Carlyle in it..
Chut up!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
Bridge on the River Kwai: "My God, what have I done?"
Angel Heart: "...my life has just begun:
                    yiou set my heart on fire,
                    and i really had my fun.

A Soldier's Story: "One less fool for the race to be ashamed of" (yeah, I stole it and modified it...I couldn't think of a better one.)

Dead of Night: "I've been waiting for you"

Barbarian Invasions: The series of puns on the French word for "blow job" (pompier) beginning with "his heart stopped beating when his mistress, kneeling at his feet, bestowed upon him the blowjob to end all blowjiobs"

"The Silence of ther Lambs": I'm having an old friend for dinner."

Snow White: "Ho hum,. the tune is dumb
the words don't mean a thing;
Isn't this a silly song
For anyone to sing?"

Wings of Desire: "Not the station where all the trains stop; the station where all the stations stop."

Something: the whole scene surrounding : "..and you say you'll  kill me for needin' something I don't hardly never get."

Since none of you recognied more than two, I better quit...such an old fogey...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
YES! Linus Roache is perfect in that movie. That scene right near the end, where you THINK everything is okay cause he's been accepted back into the church but then everyone lines up to accept communion from the other priest and the look on his face. But he holds it all in.  And then the young girl walks up to him, takes the communion and they both hold each other and cry. I cannot watch this part without sobbing. I love this film for the fact that it also has the always-brilliant Tom Wilkinson and Robert Carlyle in it..

Agreed Sheyne! 
I think Linus Roache was superb in Priest!
The scene you mention always tears me up - it was amazing to see that the most forgiving,   non-judgemental, and most compassionate person turned out to be the young woman who had suffered so much at the hands of her abusive father.  That scene is so powerful too!  What an awesome film.   :)

Offline j.U.d.E.

Agreed Sheyne! 
I think Linus Roache was superb in Priest!
The scene you mention always tears me up - it was amazing to see that the most forgiving,   non-judgemental, and most compassionate person turned out to be the young woman who had suffered so much at the hands of her abusive father.  That scene is so powerful too!  What an awesome film.   :)
Totally agree! I always thought the actress playing the abused teen-ager die a brilliant acting-job! Linus Roache is excellent!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
"The Silence of ther Lambs": I'm having an old friend for dinner."

My favorite scene in this one is when Lecter says to Clarice in the asylum, "You know what you look like with your nice bag and your cheap shoes?  You look like a rube..." and goes into that West Virginia impression while her face reacts.

My second favorite is when she turns around to look at Frederica Bimmel's body that's just been recovered - she's just braced herself looking out the window, and when she turns around, her face goes from artificially hard to naturally soft with compassion.  It's a beautiful thing.

The Silence of the Lambs is one of those movies that you either love or hate because of its violence.  I loved it because I thought Jonathan Demme was examining misogyny on a grand scale, but doing it very subtlely throughout.  On repeat viewings, I noticed how there were always men eyeing Clarice in the background, looking at her like an object.  Really, Lecter and Jack Crawford were the only men in the whole thing who truly viewed her as an equal, and even the latter had to come to that after being skeptical of her ability based only on the fact that she was a woman - he even used her, in fact, in the beginning, to get Lecter's goat.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 08:35:15 am by ednbarby »
No more beans!