Author Topic: Magazines featuring Heath  (Read 50244 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Magazines featuring Heath
« on: January 29, 2008, 01:19:50 pm »
I hope this has not been covered anywhere else although I did look and I didn't see any similar topic. I think it would be useful, I know it would for me, if people could report magazines that are featuring Heath. I know that after I saw Brokeback I practically ended up with every magazine that covered it. These even included ones written in other languages. I would like to do the same for ones now featuring Heath. However, I would prefer to not do this through Ebay like I did the ones of Brokeback especially since I paid a fortune for some of them. Of course I am very glad I have them.

So far I have the issue of Entertainment Weekly which just happened to be in my mailbox Saturday  :) which features Heath on the cover. This morning while at the grocery store I picked up the latest issue of People which also has Heath on the cover. I actually picked up two of those. The man that was the cashier asked if I meant to get two and I kind of gave him a strange look and said "Yes"

Jack

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Magazines featuring Heath
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 01:22:25 pm »
People and Entertainment Weekly came out with Heath stories last week, because they closed on Tuesday night. All the other weeklies closed on Monday, so they missed Heath's death by 18 hours.

It will be interesting to see what hits the newsstands this week.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 01:27:06 pm »
EW chose a rather sad, otherworldly picture of Heath for the cover: 

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 01:44:55 pm »
This morning while at the grocery store I picked up the latest issue of People which also has Heath on the cover. I actually picked up two of those. The man that was the cashier asked if I meant to get two and I kind of gave him a strange look and said "Yes"

Jack

I just bought People Magazine this morning.  As I posted on IMDB.com, this is a rather sad addition to my collection of magazines which had featured Jake, Heath or the film prior to it's release or while still in theaters.  It's quite a collection, small film magazines to ROLLING STONE.

The issue of PPL MAGAZINE doesn't really offer much new for those of us familiar with Heath's life. Of course, there is the gossipy angle where a friend says "Everybody knows he did a lot of drugs, but he always head it under control." 

Hmmmm!  What sort of friend says that?  There are some other gossipy tidbits the article could have done without, but I guess there going for the good father, but capable of excesses.

Time Magazine, the current issue, just has a paragraph or two about Heath. I think it should have been longer. :(

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 01:57:45 pm »
I also got the People Magazine today. No, it's not available in Germany, but I got it via Brokie-mail.
Thank you so much my friend Leslie!  :-*

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 02:04:37 pm »
I also got the People Magazine today. No, it's not available in Germany, but I got it via Brokie-mail.

I'll be camping next to my mailbox tomorrow.  ;)

And I found a store that sells Entertainment Weekly in a town nearby, but they didn't have the latest edition. They'll have it tomorrow.

And I agree Paul, why did they take that pic of Heath? As if there aren't any great pics of him around! Honestly...*shakes head*
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 02:10:00 pm »

Wow! You got it today? I'm amazed. I just mailed it on Saturday!

And to think your package took 5 weeks to reach me! I guess it traveled by camel mail or something. LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:22:33 pm »
I just purchased a copy of the People magazine on my way home from work today.  :(  I really wanted to have one of these magazines, just to keep.  But, I couldn't bring myself to read the article. 
:(

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 12:55:20 pm »
I just purchased a copy of the People magazine on my way home from work today.  :(  I really wanted to have one of these magazines, just to keep.  But, I couldn't bring myself to read the article. 

My daughter started crying when she read the article.  :(

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 02:08:17 pm »

Me too! Me too!

thank you Leslie.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 02:09:24 pm »
My daughter started crying when she read the article.  :(

:'(  :'(

It's a very difficult read...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 02:11:51 pm »
Me too! Me too!

thank you Leslie.

I am so amazed at the speed with which these magazines are being delivered. I said to Chrissi, they must be flying to you on Brokie wings!

L

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 04:49:09 pm »
From People:

Jake Is Taking Heath's Death 'Harder Than Most'

By Bryan Alexander

Originally posted Wednesday January 30, 2008 06:15 AM EST

Ledger and Gyllenhaal in 2005

Heath Ledger's sudden death has been especially tough on his good friend – and Brokeback Mountain costar – Jake Gyllenhaal.

The actor, who is godfather to Ledger's two-year-old daughter Matilda, has been devastated by last week's news. Says one Gyllenhaal friend, "Jake is taking this harder than most people."

Nowhere is that more apparent than on the New Mexico set of Gyllenhaal's latest movie, Brothers.

"This has had a strong personal effect on [Jake]," says a set source. The insider adds that Gyllenhaal left the set immediately after learning of Ledger's Jan. 22 death – but he flew back on a commercial flight to shoot an additional scene on Thursday.

"He was there, but he wasn't with us. It was obviously a major trauma," says the movie source. "These guys were very close. [Jake] was sitting in the director's chair staring off into space."

Gyllenhaal has been off since shooting that scene, and was photographed Saturday looking subdued with girlfriend Reese Witherspoon in Los Angeles. Set sources say director Jim Sheridan is shooting around the grieving actor during his personal leave.

The 27-year-old's somber mood is a sharp contrast to the happier times on the set of Brothers. During one intense early prison scene, Gyllenhaal jokingly reached into his pocket and took out a picture of his Brokeback beau to stick on the prison wall. "Like those prisoners put [loved ones] on the wall, but Jake's was Heath Ledger," one set source recalls. "That was hilarious. It was a nice moment."

The source adds, "When you think back on it now, it's touching."

• Reporting by ALYSSA SHELASKY

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 04:59:19 pm »
Yay for Leslie, the thoughtful honorary Euro-Brokie!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 05:00:13 pm »
Yay for Leslie, the thoughtful honorary Euro-Brokie!

Aw, thank you Clarissa!

L

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 09:13:50 pm »
I notice that some magazines are featuring uncomplimentary covers concerning Heath. I'm not surprised considering how some of the media are treating Heath's life. It is very sad that some choose to do this. I am not interested in getting the magazines that state such things as Heath's drug abuse, the Heath you didn't know, etc. I am interested in the ones that give tasteful tributes which is exactly what Heath deserves. I agree that Entertainment Weekly could have found a better picture, but it is rare that I find a picture of Heath that I do not like in some way. The article is also quite good. I have not read the one in People yet. If any of you find magazines that are complimentary in nature I would like to know about them and if you could pick me one up I would be happy to pay for it, postage, and your time for getting and sending it. I know there will be several in other countries than the United States. As kd5000 said I have a large number of magazines dedicated to Brokeback from small magazines to Rolling Stone. We will have to compare the ones we have kd5000.

Jack

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 07:14:33 pm »
Certainly In the UK, Heat had a five page spread - a full double page photograph of ennis smiling - it was lovely - and a full page of tributes from readers

There was another with a three page spread - that was my quick flick of the mags today.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 09:47:23 pm »
The newest People has "Heath and Michelle: The Untold Story" on the cover.

L

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 03:08:07 am »
I went to the International Magazine Shop in the town near to where I live yesterday. They had told me the day before that the new Entertainment Weekly issue would be available the next day. So off, I went, only to find the January 25th issue with that Conan O'Brien guy on the cover.  ???

Can someone tell me the date on the issue with Heath on the cover? Leslie, have you read it sofar? Are the articles any good? Or is it more speculation?
I'll think I'll pass if that's the case.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 06:44:12 am »
I went to the International Magazine Shop in the town near to where I live yesterday. They had told me the day before that the new Entertainment Weekly issue would be available the next day. So off, I went, only to find the January 25th issue with that Conan O'Brien guy on the cover.  ???

Can someone tell me the date on the issue with Heath on the cover? Leslie, have you read it sofar? Are the articles any good? Or is it more speculation?
I'll think I'll pass if that's the case.

The date on the magazine is February 1, 2008. The article is fine--no new information, of course, but a nice tribute with some good pictures.

I went to the newsstand at the airport yesterday looking for it. There was EW with Ellen Page (Juno) on the cover. Ack! I said to the cashier, "Do you have Entertainment Weekly?" (even though I was looking right at it) and she very nicely said, "Yes, second row from the top, on the right." I said "Oh," and must have sounded really sad because she said, "Do you want the one with Heath Ledger on the cover?" and I said yes. I guess the new issue had just come in and she hadn't finished processing the ones from last week that needed to be returned. She said, "I have one left, I can still sell it to you." And she did.

Bless you, very nice young woman at the Portland International Jetport! I hope lots of good luck comes her way the next few days. She deserves it!

L

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2008, 07:09:00 am »
The date on the magazine is February 1, 2008. The article is fine--no new information, of course, but a nice tribute with some good pictures.

I went to the newsstand at the airport yesterday looking for it. There was EW with Ellen Page (Juno) on the cover.

Ellen Page was going to play the lead in "The Queen's Gambit," directed by Heath.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2008, 07:48:48 am »
I looked for magazines yesterday and indeed I found two with Heath on the cover! Vanitiy Fair and Gala. They're gossip/lifestyle magazines, but not too sensation-seeking, not the really low kind of yellow press (wouldn't have bought them otherwise).

The headlines are "Death of a dreamer" and "Heartless Hollywood". They both repeat the drug stories reported by American magazines, but at least show a very compassionate attitude towards Heath. Motto: the poor guy, Hollywood and the pressures applied to him destoyed this sensitive soul. I don't like this attitude either mostly because it evokes the strong impression he died a drug-related death (and we still don't know it, damn, how can they write such stuff then?).
But at least, they draw a very simpatico picture of him and don't take him down.

These are the covers:

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 09:47:41 am »

I went to the newsstand at the airport yesterday looking for it. There was EW with Ellen Page (Juno) on the cover. Ack! I said to the cashier, "Do you have Entertainment Weekly?" (even though I was looking right at it) and she very nicely said, "Yes, second row from the top, on the right." I said "Oh," and must have sounded really sad because she said, "Do you want the one with Heath Ledger on the cover?" and I said yes. I guess the new issue had just come in and she hadn't finished processing the ones from last week that needed to be returned. She said, "I have one left, I can still sell it to you." And she did.

Bless you, very nice young woman at the Portland International Jetport! I hope lots of good luck comes her way the next few days. She deserves it!

L

That's really nice and comforting to hear.

Offline bec

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • myspace
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 08:05:39 am »
These are some of the magazines the good and the bad with Heath on the covers that i have seen here. :-\
New Idea: has six pages on Heath (4-9)
Australian weekly OK: had 5 pages (17-21)
Who: had 8 in total some with full page pic's (10-17
Why so serious..............It's all part of the plan...........lets put a smile on that face

Offline bec

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • myspace
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 08:16:55 am »
Part 2 of Aussie mags

TV Week: had just 2 pages (14-15) didn't really have a cover pic, just a banner at the top that said 'farewell Heath Ledger: A special tribute.
NW new weekly: 7 pages (8-15)
Famous: 5 pages (10-14)
Why so serious..............It's all part of the plan...........lets put a smile on that face

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2008, 11:00:38 am »
Doing a quick scan of the gossip mags at the airport yesterday, Heath was on the cover of People (second week in  row), Us (which we knew) and one other...(can't remember the names). The others (I think there were 3) were featuring Angelina Jolie wearing a sack and being pregnant with twins. There was one with Britney Spears' little boys and the headline "Who will take care of them now?" Enterntainment Weekly had Ellen Page.

L

yb

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 06:20:04 am »
Leslie, I received the magazine today.  Thanks so much.  I was worried I might not receive it before we close for Chinese New Year holidays, in which case I'll have to wait until next week. 

mvansand76

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 06:33:34 am »
Part 2 of Aussie mags

TV Week: had just 2 pages (14-15) didn't really have a cover pic, just a banner at the top that said 'farewell Heath Ledger: A special tribute.
NW new weekly: 7 pages (8-15)
Famous: 5 pages (10-14)

Those headlines are sickening!  :'(

Offline bec

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • myspace
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 07:01:30 am »
Those headlines are sickening!  :'(

I totally agree. A friend who subscribes to them gave them to me once she had finished with them i have not even read to articles inside. They think by publishing the wild speculations they can make a quick buck out of it,but what else can be expected there gossip mags, rarely a truthful line among them,, i brought the 1st lot New Idea, Australian weekly OK,Who and have only flicked through the pages there's some nice pictures in some again haven't really read them either. i heard every thing i wanted and Not wanted on the news it was more for the covers as they seemed to be the nicest out of the lot for a keepsake.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 07:56:22 am »
Leslie, I received the magazine today.  Thanks so much.  I was worried I might not receive it before we close for Chinese New Year holidays, in which case I'll have to wait until next week. 

Oh, excellent! Thanks for letting me know!

L

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 03:12:00 am »
Oh, excellent! Thanks for letting me know!

L

Wow, Les, I knew you were an honorary Euro-Brokie, but an honorary Asia-Brokie too...  :-*

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2008, 12:45:40 am »
I looked for magazines yesterday and indeed I found two with Heath on the cover! Vanitiy Fair and Gala. They're gossip/lifestyle magazines, but not too sensation-seeking, not the really low kind of yellow press (wouldn't have bought them otherwise).

The headlines are "Death of a dreamer" and "Heartless Hollywood". They both repeat the drug stories reported by American magazines, but at least show a very compassionate attitude towards Heath. Motto: the poor guy, Hollywood and the pressures applied to him destoyed this sensitive soul. I don't like this attitude either mostly because it evokes the strong impression he died a drug-related death (and we still don't know it, damn, how can they write such stuff then?).
But at least, they draw a very simpatico picture of him and don't take him down.

These are the covers:

I love the covers of these. I would like to get those, but I doubt they have them here. Great pictures.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2008, 06:38:23 am »
I love the covers of these. I would like to get those, but I doubt they have them here. Great pictures.

Oh Jack, what a pitty you didn't see and reply to my post a few days earlier. I would have bought them and sent them to you. But every Thursday there are new issues of the magazines and the old ones are not sold any longer. Sorry, Bud.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 10:50:06 am »
Vanity Fair on line:
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2000/08/heath_portfolio200008

(Three images shown here are ones I don't remember having seen before--adorable.)

Portfolio
Perth Angel
On location in the Czech Republic for A Knight’s Tale, Heath Ledger found time to pose for Vanity Fair ’s August 2000 issue.

photographs by Bruce Weber August 2000
Related article: “We’re Havin’ a Heath Wave,” by Kevin Sessums.
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2000/08/heath200008

Ledger at an art academy in Prague. “Because I D.J. in L.A., I’ve seen a lot of ‘actory’ types,”
says Shannyn Sossamon, Ledger’s love interest in A Knight’s Tale. “Heath is not actory.”

“Heath is much more grounded than I was at that age, when it all started happening for me,”
says Mel Gibson, Ledger’s co-star in The Patriot. “I think he’ll handle it better than I did.”

Heath hams it up.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 11:18:42 am by MaineWriter »

"Camping Out"

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2008, 03:00:26 am »
In the current Rolling Stone, there's a very well-writen 1-page tribute article accompanied by a picture I've never seen. I'll probably end up buying it, but am hesitant about spending $5.50 on a magazine when there are only two pages I'm interested in.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2008, 06:30:11 pm »
Is this it, Courtney?

Somehow I think I might have already seen this--

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/18355273/heath_ledger_1979__2008/2

Heath Ledger (1979 - 2008)

A tribute to the reluctant star, whose finest roles eerily mimicked his all-too-short life

David Lipsky Posted Feb 21, 2008 9:00 AM

He arrived onscreen looking windy and fresh, as if he'd just blown in from someplace else. His face just missed being pretty; there was the tiny, precise mouth, but also the mulish neck and shoulders and then the rich tobacco roll of the voice. He became a locus of passionate admiration, the senior you hoped to be as a freshman. Two days after Heath Ledger's death, at the age of twenty-eight, Daniel Day-Lewis halted an appearance in the confessional of Oprah. "I'm sorry ... it just seems somehow strange to be talking about anything else," the actor said. "I didn't know him. I have an impression, a strong impression, that I would have liked him very much, as a man, if I had."

We count on our performers for many things — as demonstrators of excellence, as figures of monstrous envy — but we rarely expect to feel luckier than they are, and never anticipate they will leave without a speech. Friends tell me they can't stop thinking about Ledger; none can explain why, some apologize for the absurdity, in a nation at war, to find this outpouring of sympathy and shock directed towards one man. But stars embody our dream lives. They're who we intend to be, once we get the job stuff settled, find the person we'll love, once the shooting is over and we're finally at home. Stars embody one quality; that's what makes them stars. And Ledger was a star in a very particular way. To stare at him — and in theaters and living rooms, we stare with an intensity we exercise nowhere else — was to receive a sense of capacity, power, and potential, a kind of perfectly vivid health and youth. That's why his death feels wrong, and why the response has felt primitive, tribal. It means youth and vitality aren't enough. It's like losing a season.

The story moved swiftly, with unpredictable reversals of field. A massage therapist discovered his body on a Tuesday afternoon, face down in his Manhattan bedroom. By evening, the named culprit was recreational drugs, an overdose; pills were reported strewn by his bedside. By Wednesday, these turned out to be prescription medications, neatly stowed in bottles and foil wrap and a rolled-up bill had been inspected and cleared of charges. The substances were Xanax, Valium and Ambien, which made Ledger's bedroom just like a thousand others in downtown Manhattan, home of the anxious, the ambitious, the sleepless. There was the sight of Michelle Williams — his ex-fiancée, mother of his daughter, Matilda — in a car bound for the airport, resembling a first lady in mourning. (Arriving in Brooklyn, what stuck was not the pale blue lightning of the digital cameras, but the sight of chauffeurs and bodyguards fishing into the passenger cab for her daughter's stuffed animals and toys.) There was his family expressing their regrets, in front of a sunny suburban house and lawn that looked shockingly ordinary. At Sundance, premieres were canceled, in Hollywood, studio statements were released. By the weekend, New York Police were speculating that the medications had accidentally bonded into a kind of cocktail that stopped Ledger's heart. Gossip columnists darkly hinted of hard partying, of stories to come that would "make our collective hair stand on end," and a People magazine obituary issue was like a tone poem on the single word "excess." ("He was trying to lead a healthy life," a friend told the magazine. "But sometimes he went to excess.") Outside the Screen Actors Guild Awards, fringe evangelicals picketed, because Ledger had once portrayed a homosexual cowboy. The last most people saw of him was in a zippered black bag, wheeling into an ambulance, with its sad little bumps for his feet and head.

Ledger grew up in Perth, Western Australia — "the most isolated city," he told me, "in the world." His father designed and drove race cars, mother taught French, and Ledger offered something of their mix, the rugged and the cultural. He wanted to act, could not cast himself in the role of student — "I had a problem with authority" — and at sixteen he drove to Sydney with less than an Australian dollar in his pocket. It was already a life of bold strokes, simple and large movements and changes of scenery; a life from a movie.

When it happens, it happens fast. Ledger's Hollywood career began a year before George Bush's election, and did not outlast his presidency. In 1999, Ledger took the lead boyfriend role in the high school comedy 10 Things I Hate About You, where his appearance was gently disorienting, as if Sean Connery had been aged down and cast in a John Hughes picture. For a year, he refused other high school roles; one of his talents was for pausing at the right moment, sitting still, and waiting for situations to develop in his favor. He played Mel Gibson's son in The Patriot. Then he was cast to carry the medieval drama A Knight's Tale. He was twenty-one. His body still had a kid's loose, unstringed movements, but it was clear he would become a star. There was the big frontal block of the smile, lines racing up from his chin to his ears; when he smiled, his face fanned brutal and turned warn; it was a great, manly smile, a smile that commanded.

The second part of Ledger's career was a reaction to that picture: he'd glimpsed the highway being paved ahead of him, the career he was being given; he stood up in the middle of a studio marketing meeting, locked himself in a bathroom. "It was a full-on anxiety attack," he said. "I was hitting my head, hitting the walls." From there, he steered his own course, towards darker movies, chillier commercial prospects. He meant to scrape away the star's glossy coating, replace it with the raw, flexible skin of an actor. "I wanted to take the blond out of my career," he said, "kill the direction it was going. I was like, 'How am I going to make this a career I would like to have?' "

Four years later, from the uplands of award nominations and Brokeback Mountain, having acted with directors Lasse Hallstrü m, Terry Gilliam, Ang Lee, he looked back at the moment with satisfaction. He'd stepped in, and piloted own life. "I just felt like I earned it, like I deserved it more, you know? And I sleep better that way."
"Well, that's very important," I said.

"Yeah, it is," he said. "Absolutely. You die young ... "

Off-set, he clomped around in big boots and a hoodie, hands kangarooed in the pocket; interviewed, he kept on his sunglasses, to subtly maintain a private world, a kind of eye Kevlar. Celebrity was impractical, was what the clothes said. He hadn't accommodated himself to the deal, with its pluses and minuses: you sell the media slices of private life,in exchange for set time and the immense freedoms of the salary. Profiles began to circle around the same words: wary, restless. (A London Times writer, who interviewed him on six occasions, wrote simply that Ledger had "worried himself to death.") He couldn't seem to disengage; the inexactness bothered him. "For you or anyone sitting here to really know me," he explained to me, "you'd have to sit here for a year, it would take that much time for me to explain it."

He approached his own work with the same hardness; he did not, he said, class himself an artist, and never believed he'd been good. "I always want to pull myself apart and dissect it." Accepting a part, "I always go through the process of hating it, hating myself, thinking I've fooled them, I can't actually do this." Leger had no formal training, and there's this to be said for acting school: it teaches you to approach a role as foreign, as a language you'll temporarily speak. Ledger didn't appear to have that. He needed to dig for (and inhabit) the part of himself that was the character. "Performance comes from absolutely believing what you're doing," he said. "You convince yourself, and believe in the story with all your heart." It didn't always shut off when a production did, and I think it ground him. Finishing Brokeback, he immediately flew to Venice, and Casanova. "I don't think I could have just gone home and not worked, to unwind from it," Ledger told me. "I would have just sat there and kind of slowly beat my head against the wall, until it went away."

On the Brokeback Mountain set, he'd began a relationship with Michelle Williams, his onscreen wife. They had a daughter — "we just fell very deeply into one another's arms, our bodies made those decisions for us"— bought a Brooklyn townhouse. A year later, Ledger told reporters he felt as content as he'd ever been. "When you're this happy," he said, "everything seems to fall into place."

The story his best movies tell is a unified story, in chapters, about connection and someone learning how to be. In the Australian drama Candy — playing a heroin addict, with all of a successful addicts sly, soft corruption — the story was about what happens when you transform other people into the means to a destination. Casanova was about how to shift from being a lover — which is abstract and general — and push ahead with the business of actually loving one person. Brokeback Mountain warned of the life where you refuse love, the costs everyone around you must pay. In I'm Not There, he played a man who had — like himself when the film was released — for reasons he could not explain but could not correct, lost his lover, family and home. As The Joker in next summer's The Dark Knight, he will appear as a man severed from all connection. A "psychopathic, mass-murdering clown with zero empathy," is how he described it to the New York Times. On set, Michael Caine said the performance sometimes turned so frightening he forgot his own lines.

When Ledger and Williams split last September, the explanation appeared to be drug use. Ledger took an apartment in SoHo and missed his daughter. Sleep became a problem. "I need to do something with this head because sometimes I just don't sleep, it just keeps ticking." He talked medications, telling the Times he was managing about two hours a night. On an evening when one Ambien didn't do the job, he swallowed a second, passed out, came to an hour later, head still whirring. On his last film set, co-star Christopher Plummer reported that Ledger didn't seem to be sleeping at all. Among the saddest images of the past month is Ledger, forty-eight hours before his death, alone at a late-night bar, hoodie hiked up, drinking through the mouth-hole of a ski mask.

It's been a time of tributes. Todd Haynes, his director on I'm Not There, paid Ledger the compliment he denied himself: "Heath was a true artist." He added, "This is an unimaginable tragedy." Ang Lee, who won the director's Academy Award for Brokeback, said "Working with Heath was one of the purest joys of my life ... His death is heartbreaking." Dark Knight director Chris Nolan wrote about "charisma — as invisible and natural as gravity. That's what Heath had ... I've never felt as old as I did watching Heath explore his talents." At press time, the New York Police Department has yet to settle on an official cause of death, but in a sense it's right there in front of us. Ledger made great demands on his heart — romantically, professionally, personally, physically. And in the end, his heart said "No."

From Issue No. 1046, February 21, 2008

"Camping Out"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 07:01:04 pm »
I love this:  It's like losing a season.

And he made Michael Caine forget his lines.  Wow.

I'm just typing this after weeping at the last line.

Another beautiful piece.  Thanks, dear John.
No more beans!

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 12:40:45 pm »
Hmm. John, that article you posted is the one I was talking about, but kind of not. I just read it standing in the aisle in Borders, but it seems like the article in the actual magazine is shorter. Like the one you posted, but edited a lot. And that wasn't the picture that went with it. Interesting.

And Barb, I'm with you on the last line.  :(

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2008, 04:55:45 pm »
Well.

Here's one "of the nearly 25,000 stories published about Ledger's death."

From New York Magazine:

http://nymag.com/news/features/44217/

(Untitled Heath Ledger Project)

In which the protagonist dies mysteriously, and the audience analyzes his final days for clues to his real character.

By Chris Norris Published Feb 18, 2008

(Photo: Nicolas Guerin)

By Tuesday afternoon, we knew all about Heath Ledger. He’d been found in Mary-Kate Olsen’s apartment, naked on the floor, wreathed in pills, dead of apparent suicide. By Tuesday evening, he’d been found under the covers, in his own home, with the pills prescribed and in bottles. By Wednesday, he’d been alive until at least noon, when the maid heard him snoring. The masseuse who found him called Olsen once—no, three times—before dialing 911. Olsen’s bodyguards arrived before the EMTs. No, they arrived before the cops. A rolled-up $20 with drugs on it was by the bed. No, the bill was clean.

The sad, surreal story of Heath Ledger’s death was being written in real time, on a 24-hour news cycle, with digital cameras and RSS feeds. Television-news crews, online videographers, and cell-phone “citizen journalists” were participating in a dreamlike spectacle that was in its way more grotesque than the Hollywood Babylon tableau in Ledger’s apartment: Nearly 300 strangers on Broome Street, filming the removal of a body bag. One hundred more outside an Upper East Side funeral home, a scrum of cameras around a wooden box—all looking straight at each other.

According to Google News, there were 24,267 stories about Heath Ledger in the three weeks following his death. But for all the intensive coverage, there was no cohesive narrative. Two diverging accounts of his last months in New York were vying against each other—Ledger the saint and Ledger the sinner. An inconclusive autopsy allowed the conflicting reports to fester for weeks, with members of each contingent trotting out their theories and prophesying the results of the coming toxicology report that would surely prove them right.

“Don’t write one of these disgusting stories,” a Hollywood agent had warned me, after attesting to Ledger’s kindness, beauty, sensitivity, humility, and sobriety. A non-disgusting story would presumably reflect the innumerable accounts I heard of Ledger’s sweet nature, his immense talent, his love of Matilda—and make frequent mentions of Pellegrino water and Diet Coke.

A disgusting story would be like the one published by the U.K. tabloid the Sun the day after Ledger’s death, quoting Rebecca White, a 33-year-old former assistant to Naomi Campbell who claimed to have seen Ledger doing drugs. “The first time I met him, at Puff Daddy’s house in Los Angeles, Heath asked Naomi for cocaine,” she said. “At another party in Paris, Heath took at least six Ecstasy pills, popped them in his mouth all at once, and swigged them with a bottle of Champagne.”

As it happens, White, who was also a key witness to Kate Moss’s drug use when a video of the model snorting cocaine surfaced in 2005, seems to be the source for many accounts of Ledger’s Bunyanesque consumption. Her interview with the Sun was picked up by the Australian Daily Telegraph and Courier Mail and other papers. Then, in an interview with England’s Daily Mail, White elaborated, claiming that Ledger’s drug use had recently spiraled out of control because he was afraid of losing custody of his daughter and adding this striking comment about Ledger’s former fiancée, Michelle Williams: “Heath was an Adonis and she was dowdy and not in his league—career-wise or looks-wise—and no one could understand why they got together.” That version of the story was picked up by dozens of other publications, not to mention those to which she spoke anonymously as a “member of Ledger’s entourage.” She also offered to provide information to New York for a stipulated fee of $1,500 (an offer that was declined).

Whatever the sources—“friends,” “clubgoers,” “insiders”—such stories were spreading as fast as Ledger’s publicist Mara Buxbaum could deny them. By the last week in January, it seemed that there had been two Heath Ledgers living in New York. One, a chaste, sober, unkempt choirboy who bought his daughter organic breakfast sausages at the Gourmet Garage. The other, a womanizing, drug-hoovering rake last seen by, yes, “a clubgoer,” dancing at the Beatrice Inn “in a ski mask with holes cut out at the eyes and mouth and a hood over his head.” The debate over his last few months was about his legacy, about which kind of fallen star he would be: tragic hero (James Dean) or self-destructive burnout (River Phoenix). More than that, it was about what kind of person he was—loving or noncommittal, open or secretive, good father or careless lout, true or false. His cause of death, it seemed, would somehow define the meaning of his life.

Strolling down Smith Street with Michelle and baby Matilda, Ledger had been the most attractive advertisement that young, urban parenthood had had in years: a stubbly boho in lank hair, cord jacket, and scruffy boots; a member of the neighborhood-preservation committee; a doting father who brought Matilda to Book Court and Bar Tabac and made his only tabloid appearances in Us Weekly’s “Just Like Us” section, as another happy, semi-washed stay-at-home dad. “I didn’t want to raise my child in Hollywood,” he had said. And so it seemed that the preternaturally wise 26-year-old had discerned the exact spiritual and geographic antipode to the Viper Room: a brownstone in Boerum Hill.

The crowd outside Ledger's loft on the evening of his death.   
(Photo: WireImage)

Indie sweethearts Ledger and Williams had met in the summer of 2004 on the set of Brokeback Mountain. Like many young actors, Ledger had a history of falling in love on set. He had met former girlfriend Heather Graham in Prague, while he was filming A Knight’s Tale and she was filming From Hell in 2000. He had fallen for fellow Aussie Naomi Watts when they were both making the Australian film Ned Kelly in 2002. He and Watts were together for nearly two years but split just before Brokeback—a film she had encouraged him to make—because Watts, eleven years his senior, reportedly wanted a family, and Ledger, then 24, wasn’t ready.

Less than a year later and just a few months into a new relationship, Ledger was a father-to-be. He and Williams hadn’t planned the pregnancy, but in 2006, he told Rolling Stone that the event was practically fated: “We just fell very deeply into one another’s arms. Our bodies definitely made those decisions for us.’’

Matilda was born on October 28, 2005, and the young parents presented as delighted domestic partners. “I’m Mr. Mom,” he told the Boston Globe. “I get [Michelle] granola and cook her an egg, I clean the dishes, and then I’m cooking lunch … I love my new job.”

Two months after Matilda’s birth, Brokeback Mountain was released to raves and Oscar nominations, starting the decades-old chain reaction that would make Ledger into something other than a talented actor. The transition was subtle, marked by debuts on magazine covers, increased paparazzi, online chatter, buzz, spin, and hype, but at a certain point, it was a fact: Ledger was a star.

“The star phenomenon consists of everything that is publicly available about stars,” wrote the film theorist Richard Dyer in 1986—decades before this came to include sex tapes, iPhone hacks, abs reportage, plastic-surgery critique, and that clearinghouse for witless, bitchy speculation, the “Comments” sections of blogs. A probing and adventurous character actor—someone who said he had purposely “taken the blonde out of his career” by choosing roles like a suicidal prison guard in Monster’s Ball—Ledger had now been cast as Heath: happy father to Matilda, committed life partner to Michelle, gracious newcomer to worldwide fame.

Ledger clearly hated this kind of attention. He had already been battling it out with the Australian press, which, at the Brokeback premiere in Sydney, shot him and Williams with water guns as they walked the red carpet. Ledger was reportedly in tears when he talked to his father later that night, saying he was going to sell his house in Sydney and make a permanent move to the States. Two weeks later, he was at the Screen Actor’s Guild Awards in Los Angeles. The red carpet went off without a hitch that night; it was the after-party that would later prove problematic. This was the night when the recently surfaced video of Ledger allegedly doing coke was shot.

The video—called “shocking” and “harrowing” in the press—was first acquired by Australia’s Channel 9 and later won its provider $200,000 from the TV show The Insider, but was quashed after Ledger’s publicist rallied some high-profile Hollywood troops (Natalie Portman, Sarah Jessica Parker, Josh Brolin) to threaten a boycott of the show. For such a reputed smoking gun, the clip shows little more than a party that any young urban American would recognize. Ledger swigs from a beer bottle, says he’s going to get serious shit from his girlfriend upstairs for being at this party, admits to formerly smoking five joints a day, and points to his tattoo of “M” (for then-3-month-old Matilda), saying, “This is to remind me never to smoke weed again.” The biggest surprise is the oddly solicitous and self-deprecating manner of the award-nominee.

From all accounts, the context of the video was not raucous celebration but growing unease. “He was in a terribly anxious state during the Oscars,” recalls an English film director who spent time with Ledger at the Château Marmont waiting out award-season mania. “The day after the Oscars, he said to me, ‘I’ll never make another good film again.’ If this was what happened when you made a good film, he didn’t think it was worth it. He found the whole thing absolutely harrowing. I think that after the Oscars, there was a kind of corner turned—and not a very good one.”

That was around the time that Williams allegedly tried to take Ledger to Promises rehab center in Malibu, according to Us Weekly (a story Buxbaum says is fabricated).

Sometime that summer, as the pressures grew in Los Angeles, Ledger and Williams took up permanent residence in Brooklyn. This began a kind of Camelot period that was savored as much by neighbors and local media as it was by the family itself. “It’s the closest we’ve ever come to feeling like we can lead a normal life,” Ledger told this magazine. “We’ve localized ourselves. I don’t think there’s another place on earth I’d rather be right now. We’re very happy.”

"I didn't want to raise my child in Hollywood," said Ledger of his move to Brooklyn.   
(Photo: Steve Connolly/Startraks)

By most accounts they were. Todd Haynes, who directed Ledger and Williams in the Bob Dylan reverie I’m Not There, remembers how the actor would lean on his fiancée when they were shooting in late summer 2006. “The night before we were going to shoot a scene, he started to have a real panic about it,” says Haynes. “He had to call Michelle in New York, who talked him through relaxation methods to try to get him asleep. He said he was just curled up in a corner holding one of Matilda’s stuffed animals, and he slept about an hour and came on set.”

A little over a year later, it was over. Ledger moved out of their moss-green townhouse in Boerum Hill. Friends would tell the press he and Williams had grown apart, that they were struggling with the demands of parenthood and two full film careers. Unattributeds would talk about drugs and a custody battle. Williams laid low, taking Matilda with her on a head-clearing trip to an ashram in India. Meanwhile, the gossip pages started auditioning another Heath Ledger.

This one wasn’t Just Like Us. This one was a gorgeous Australian party boy in a trilby hat and tattered-chic cardigan—the fun- loving, most eligible recent bachelor in New York, linked to models like Helena Christiansen, starlets like Lindsay Lohan, and finally Mary-Kate Olsen—to whom he was linked only posthumously. This Ledger lived for three months.

The first weekend after the unfortuitously named Celebrity Moving van transported his things from the Boerum Hill brownstone to the Broome Street loft, Ledger went to the Beatrice Inn, the semi-private club in the West Village where one could regularly spot Owen Wilson, Kate Moss, Kirsten Dunst, and other members of the hip-celeb demimonde. Even in this crowd, Ledger stood out.

“Girls were all over him, trying to, like, play with his hat, touch him in some way,” says a woman who met him that night. “Certain celebrities have that effect. I’ve only seen it with a few of them, and Heath Ledger is one. The reaction I saw to him was … crazy.” She remembers Ledger wearing a red-and-white horizontal-striped shirt, jeans, a hat, and a few visible tattoos. “He was really hot,” she says, allowing for the teenybopper reaction he provoked among the club’s typically more composed habitués.

As Ledger parried advances on the dance floor, his companion, a man named Nathan, reached out to the young woman and her friend. “He introduced us to Heath. He was really nice, shook our hands, said, ‘Hi, my name is Heath.’ And a lot of celebrities don’t even say their names because they expect you to know who they are. He wasn’t like that,” she says. Nathan asked the girls to type their numbers into his cell phone if they wanted to hang out later. “We were sure he wasn’t going to call.” But as they were leaving the club, Nathan chased them outside to give them the address of Ledger’s new loft. “I didn’t realize he was being so covert, that we couldn’t be seen leaving with him because it was right after the breakup and the press was all over him about Helena Christensen.” (Despite the discretion of Ledger’s wingman, the exchange wound up in the Post a few days later.)

“We went over and hung out, played backgammon,” she says. “I said something like ‘Great apartment.’ And he said, ‘I just moved in four days ago.’ ” She remembers Ledger’s home in a state of luxurious flux. “He had a red velvet couch, a really nice carpet,” she says. “There was some exercise stuff, a Mac computer. He was like, ‘I want to play this music for you,’ but his Internet wasn’t up yet.”

The Ledger she met was quiet, friendly, and pointedly sober, drinking Diet Coke as the rest of them had red wine. He mentioned having to be up at ten the next morning to take his daughter to gymnastics. Someone had drugs that night, but Ledger’s friend kept them away from him. “Nathan said, ‘Heath can’t see this.’ He was making an effort to protect him, and Heath was obviously in a vulnerable state. He said, ‘Heath cannot see this stuff, he had problems, he’s sober now.’ He was a really good friend actually, now that I look back on everything.”

The two had a monthlong fling—a brief intersection between celebrity and civilian worlds. (Though it didn’t start that night: “Just because you’re so-and-so doesn’t mean I’m going to sleep with you,” she told him. “No, I’m not, I’m a nice guy,” he protested.) “He didn’t like being this star,” she says. “This is from my experience of him. He was kind of quiet unless he was comfortable … It was just after the breakup, and it really seemed like he was just trying to have fun.”

A handful of the nearly 25,000 stories published about Ledger's death.

In the time they spent together, from late September through mid-November, the woman never saw Ledger do drugs. “He had a party at his loft once, and it was really crazy. There were drugs there, but he didn’t touch them. I saw it offered to him multiple times. Ecstasy, cocaine, even prescription stuff—but he never touched it. I was with him at least a dozen times, and he was always sober. Just cigarettes.”

Ledger’s death has given anecdotes like this one—along with contradictory stories about, say, wild man Ledger snorting piles of coke and downing every bottle in the hotel minibar—a new intensity. And a price tag: The woman from the Beatrice Inn says a tabloid offered her up to $5,000 for dirt on Mary-Kate or Heath’s drug use. (She declined to sell her story.)

Every sighting has been analyzed posthumously for clues to his sobriety and state of mind. Joseph Ari Aloi, the friend and tattoo artist who had inked a red M for Matilda on Ledger’s chest, thought Ledger may have been stressed right before Christmas: “When you’re the kind of guy that has to be creating and documenting and expressing all the time, it’s hard sometimes to be horizontal and dormant. He had a really hard time turning it off.”

A director friend who spoke with him by telephone in January said that people had been worried about him. “The thing I feel worst about is that because I was a little bit in awe, and didn’t want to lose him as somebody I could talk to, I didn’t say what was on my mind,” he says. “I think that’s another way that famous people isolate themselves is that sometimes people find it very difficult to say, ‘You’re killing yourself.’ ”

Christopher Plummer, who was working with Ledger on the set of Terry Gilliam’s The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, told reporters that Ledger was in such bad shape he appeared to have walking pneumonia.

“Of course there’s going to be a stampede to understand him—even understand literally how he died,” says Todd Haynes. “I think people just want some concrete explanation. I think we’re grappling for something. What’s so hard about this is that there is not a real character arc—arguably, there never is, no matter how long someone lives. But this one was so full of promise and so in bloom that it feels just savage to have it be foreshortened so brutally. That’s what makes it so intolerable to the public, which makes the search for more clues so intense.”

One clue, offered by the Los Angeles Times as evidence of the actor’s downward spiral, was a clip from an interview with Ledger in December about his role in I’m Not There. The interviewer claimed Ledger “was clearly slurring and unfocused,” but viewers would find a video of a disappointingly lucid Ledger, discussing his view that biopics run the risk of defaming their subject: “Because you’re assuming too much. I think this movie avoids it gracefully by not assuming to know who Bob Dylan is. He’s kept in the shadow … It’s preserving his mystique.”

When Haynes met Ledger in 2006, the actor was already struggling with similar questions about the art of biography, having taken a two-year sabbatical from acting to write a script about the life of singer-songwriter Nick Drake. “Trying to squeeze this complex, beautiful, and mysterious subject into the confines of the traditional biopic he found reprehensible and kind of cruel,” says Haynes. “He was starting to approach it through a more allegorical method, where it was going to be about a woman traveling on a train ride through Europe—which Nick Drake I think did do—and he was going to have Michelle play that role.” Now, the idea that Ledger had spent two years trying to get inside the head of an artist who suffered from depression and insomnia and died at 26 from an overdose of a prescribed antidepressant has become one more detail to be used as either tragic irony or psychoanalytic insight.

The fact is, Ledger probably did cocaine. He might have snorted, smoked, or even injected heroin (in his glam-hipster milieu hardly the gutter death-trip many assume), although he convincingly denied it when describing preparations for his junkie role in Candy. He certainly took prescription pills, possibly not always for medical reasons. And as he said, he used to smoke several joints a day.

But contrary to the binary thinking of the media’s Ledger debate, his drug use doesn’t negate the “good Heath” story line. The arbitrary distinctions between good and bad drugs, and good and bad star behavior, obscure the fact that there likely was no bad Heath Ledger. As it happens, he might have been better off if he had behaved more horribly, if he weren’t so widely adored. An addict’s best hope for recovery is being an intolerable asshole when he’s using. And to say the least, few remember that kind of Ledger.

“You knew he was special when you met him, both as a person and as an actor,” says a producer who worked with him on Brokeback. “Literally, everybody loved him.” Partly it was his bravery in taking on the role of gruff, repressed gay cowboy Ennis Del Mar. (“People forget what an incredibly bold move it was to play that character,” says the producer.) Partly it was the impression he gave of being, in Haynes’s words, “a real seeker and a real explorer,” still trying on different identities. Partly it was his behavior on set, where he steered clear of chauffeurs and trailers, preferred skateboards to SUVs, and worked alongside the crew between setups. And partly it was his rejection of the trappings and attention of Hollywood, his attempt to live an ordinary artist’s life.

“There’s something about Heath,” says Haynes. “We somehow figured, through his work and the ways people saw him, that he was above and beyond this kind of an end.”

Strangely enough, considering the number of paparazzi and “friends” and bartenders and cell-phone-camera users in the city, there is no accurate account of Ledger’s final 24 hours. He was last seen at the Beatrice Inn the Sunday before he died, wearing, in either a misguided bid for anonymity or a sign of serious psychic trouble, a ski mask over his face.

Ledger didn’t hide his insomnia, stress, or poor health. He was on a break from shooting The Imaginarium on cold, wet outdoor London sets. He was flying back and forth to New York, flipping time zones, missing his daughter, going into his usual creative hyperdrive, and wandering the city into the early hours. On the night before he died, he may have been suffering from any combination of depression, anxiety, insomnia, pneumonia, drug addiction, and/or drug withdrawal. The only thing for sure is he was doing it alone.

On February 6, just three days before Ledger’s body would be cremated, the putative epilogue to this story was delivered by the office of New York’s chief medical examiner: “Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine. We have concluded that the manner of death is accident, resulting from the abuse of prescription medications.”

As a final chapter, this reads like William Burroughs doing Lewis Carroll, its logic confoundingly circular. Xanax, Valium, Unisom, Restoril, Vicodin, OxyContin—two downers, two sleeping pills, and two painkillers of a caliber used for bone cancer. This would indeed make one acutely intoxicated. And if one died, one would indeed have died of acute intoxication. It was an accident, certainly, but in the same way that driving drunk off a pier would be an accident. Or ODing on heroin.

Ledger’s parents cited the pharmaceutical provenance of the drugs as proof that their son was the victim of a simple prescription-drug mix-up. “Today’s results put an end to speculation,” they wrote in a statement. “While no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy.”

In the end, Heath Ledger’s official cause of death was a toxicological character sketch—masterfully vague, all facts with few answers. Much like his life, we could read it any way we wanted.

"Camping Out"

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 08:28:59 pm »
Here's one "of the nearly 25,000 stories published about Ledger's death."

From New York Magazine:

http://nymag.com/news/features/44217/

(Untitled Heath Ledger Project)

In which the protagonist dies mysteriously, and the audience analyzes his final days for clues to his real character.

“Nathan said, ‘Heath can’t see this.’ He was making an effort to protect him, and Heath was obviously in a vulnerable state. He said, ‘Heath cannot see this stuff, he had problems, he’s sober now.’ He was a really good friend actually, now that I look back on everything.”

If this story is true, then this Nathan, whoever he is, was a great  friend.

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2008, 05:18:33 am »
March 11, 2008 issue of The Advocate

Life is not a dress rehearsal

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2008, 09:46:13 pm »

GREAT cover!  ;D

--except--

--the date next to his name--

--it's so wrong.

"Camping Out"

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2008, 10:35:30 pm »
GREAT cover!  ;D

--except--

--the date next to his name--

--it's so wrong.

You are so right!  :-\

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2008, 10:54:27 pm »
I'm so glad to know about this!  It is a nice cover (but of course sad). :(

It's so nice that the Advocate is recognizing him in this way.  I'll be running to my nearest newsstand to get it ASAP.  Is it out yet?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2008, 01:54:54 am »
I picked up two copies on Sunday.  I'm going to frame one of them.  I think I'll also frame the Advocate issue I have with Brokeback on the cover (picture of the dozy embrace) from Jan 2006, and hang them side by side.  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2008, 07:39:34 am »
I'm so glad to know about this!  It is a nice cover (but of course sad). :(

It's so nice that the Advocate is recognizing him in this way.  I'll be running to my nearest newsstand to get it ASAP.  Is it out yet?

Yes, I bought it at Borders on Monday. There were only two copies and I bought them both.

I also bought the Rolling Stone with Britney Spears on the cover. That has a nice tribute to Heath inside, with a full page picture.

L

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2008, 10:38:34 am »
Yep.  Thanks Leslie, I bought The Advocate on Sunday.  :)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2008, 11:27:49 am »
I'll try to find The Advocate in the shop where I bought Entertainment Weekly. They should have it. And Rolling Stone maybe.

Offline jura86

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2008, 02:39:44 pm »
Hello all! Dunno if this has already been posted on the forums -- but I was very pleased to see my favourite film magazine 'Empire' devote their April cover  in tribute to Heath Ledger - however, I think this edition of the magazine must only be available to subscribers, as they're advertising the magazine on the website (www.empireonline.com) with an Iron Man cover. I've taken a picture of my Empire cover if anyone wants to see - is not very good, as I don't have photoshop so don't know how to get rid of the flash in the middle. I've attached the image, hope it works...

There's a great tribute article in the magazine to his career, full of fantastic and unusual pictures from his films.

It's only a couple of months since Heath Ledger was last on the cover of Empire, in full Joker costume

mvansand76

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2008, 02:47:20 pm »
Thatis fantastic, Jura! Thank you so much! I wish I could get my hands on one... I wonder if I will be able to find it here in Holland.

Can you make a scan of the tribute article?

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2008, 03:11:22 pm »
Thanks for posting that James. It's a great picture of him. I've always like black and white pictures of him.

And I bought The Advocate and Rolling Stone today.

I really liked what Diana Ossana said in The Advocate 'Heath was generous and dear, painfully shy and gifted, and I will miss him for the rest of my days.'  :'(

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2008, 03:15:35 pm »
Thank you for reporting and posting the pic James.

Oh my, the flash:

He stood as if heart-shot...

Offline jura86

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2008, 03:54:25 pm »
Hey, thanks for the replies - yeah I hope this version is available in shops, I am sure many more people would want to have this touching cover tribute than yet another comic book cover on a film magazine. I don't have a scanner at home I'm afraid -- maybe I'll try and scan it at work and upload the article then. I've taken some quick pics now though - please say if you want a clear picture and I'll try and take a better one, kept missing the edges of the article!

Offline jura86

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2008, 03:56:39 pm »
And a couple more...

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2008, 04:03:21 pm »
OMG James,  :o  :o

I haven't seen anything like it! Absolutely great. I want a copy!!!

I'll check the shop I went to today and see if they have it. This is a must have.

Thanks for taking the time posting the pics.  :)

Offline jura86

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2008, 04:11:51 pm »
You're very welcome!

You're right, its one of the best tributes I've seen so far, was so glad that Empire had decided to do something to honour his incredible career - when it came through the letter box though, and I saw the front cover, it just hit me all over again... is so weird...

mvansand76

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2008, 05:00:54 pm »
You're very welcome!

You're right, its one of the best tributes I've seen so far, was so glad that Empire had decided to do something to honour his incredible career - when it came through the letter box though, and I say the front cover, it just hit me all over again... is so weird...

I can imagine how that cover must have hit you hard... It's beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time.... Thanks for doing this!  :-* I have asked my sis in England to get me a copy if it's sold.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2008, 05:32:25 pm »
The pics of the article are great! Thank you again for posting them  :-*

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2008, 02:29:17 am »
I can imagine how that cover must have hit you hard... It's beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time.... Thanks for doing this!  :-* I have asked my sis in England to get me a copy if it's sold.

It isn't. I've checked on their website. This is a subscription issue only. It's not available in the shops.  :-\

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2008, 03:40:13 am »
James, thank you!

mvansand76

« Reply #60 on: February 29, 2008, 04:07:27 am »
It isn't. I've checked on their website. This is a subscription issue only. It's not available in the shops.  :-\

Damn. That makes me really angry somehow.  >:(

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #61 on: February 29, 2008, 08:35:42 am »
I just ordered this off eBay! It is coming from the UK and the shipping costs more than the magazine! LOL

mvansand76

« Reply #62 on: February 29, 2008, 08:56:48 am »
I just ordered this off eBay! It is coming from the UK and the shipping costs more than the magazine! LOL

Where did you order it from then? Is it from somebody who is offering it or from the publisher? I want to get one too! :(

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #63 on: February 29, 2008, 09:00:35 am »
Where did you order it from then? Is it from somebody who is offering it or from the publisher? I want to get one too! :(

Someone named "Miss Christel" was selling it. She's in the UK and was selling it on US eBay, so obviously she figured out that it was a magazine we couldn't get here but people in the US would want it. So...she had it with a "buy it now" price of $14.95 and I just went for it. I am lousy at eBay bidding and besides, I wanted the magazine, dammit, so I bought it! LOL

L

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #64 on: February 29, 2008, 09:10:25 am »
You're lucky Leslie!

Maybe more will be available on ebay in the coming days. I'd love to have one.  :-\

The reason they're only available to subscribers is that the magazine aparently doesn't want to be seen to be cashing in on Heath's death. They could just have given the extra income to charity IMO.

Offline nova20194

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2008, 10:23:43 am »

I'd love to get a copy too.  What a great collector's item.  The edition with the "Ironman"  cover has the same article inside, so if I can't get the Heath cover, I'll probably still buy the other one just for the article.  I'm pretty sure I can get it here near Washington, DC, because I bought the "Joker" issue at a Barnes & Noble near my home.

See you all at eBay.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #66 on: February 29, 2008, 11:55:00 am »
I'd love to get a copy too.  What a great collector's item.  The edition with the "Ironman"  cover has the same article inside, so if I can't get the Heath cover, I'll probably still buy the other one just for the article.  I'm pretty sure I can get it here near Washington, DC, because I bought the "Joker" issue at a Barnes & Noble near my home.

See you all at eBay.

This could get interesting!  :laugh:

Now, how do you do this ebay thingy?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #67 on: February 29, 2008, 12:03:19 pm »
Now, how do you do this ebay thingy?

Fabienne did you never buy or sell anything on ebay?  :o
Or did I get you wrong?

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #68 on: February 29, 2008, 12:10:22 pm »
Nope, never, nada  ;D

But I have a feeling that won't be the case for much longer.  ::)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2008, 08:20:39 am »
Nope, never, nada  ;D

:o Wow, I'm surprised. Wouldn't have thought anyone with internet would not be on ebay (a bit exaggerated, but you know what I mean).

But I have a feeling that won't be the case for much longer.  ::)

Sure enough.  ;D

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2008, 03:32:46 am »
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of that Advocate issue (in Chicago)? I've never even seen The Advocate for sale anywhere, and I'd really like to have a copy of that one.

Offline Fran

« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2008, 10:21:41 am »
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of that Advocate issue (in Chicago)? I've never even seen The Advocate for sale anywhere, and I'd really like to have a copy of that one.

If you don't feel like chasing one down, you can always order a back issue.

This is from their website:

Order Back Issues
To order back issues, call 1-800-827-0561 Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 11:00 pm EST.

Please have the issue number or cover date available when you call. Single copies of back issues are available for $4.99 US each plus $4.50 US postage and handling for the first copy, $1.50 US for each additional copy, pre-paid in US funds only.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 05:06:27 pm by Fran »

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2008, 04:21:49 pm »
Phew! I just bought the Empire magazine with Heath on the cover off ebay.

Yeah! My first purchase ever!  ;D I bid unsuccessfully for three times and finally today there was one on offer with a 'buy now' tag, so I didn't hesitate.

this bidding is not my thing! So time consuming.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2008, 04:27:48 pm »
Phew! I just bought the Empire magazine with Heath on the cover off ebay.

Yeah! My first purchase ever!  ;D I bid unsuccessfully for three times and finally today there was one on offer with a 'buy now' tag, so I didn't hesitate.

this bidding is not my thing! So time consuming.

Congratulations, Fabienne!

I am still waiting for mine to arrive in the mail....impatiently waiting, I might add!

L

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2008, 11:45:14 pm »
I don't know it this has already been posted elsewhere, but I saw this on IMDb's World Entertainment News Network for 13 March 2008: 

Williams and Friends Pay Magazine Tribute to Ledger
Heath Ledger's closest Hollywood pals, including ex-partners Michelle Williams and Naomi Watts, have spoken out for the first time since his death in January. The pair joined forces with director Todd Haynes - who made Ledger's movie I'm Not There - actors Sean Penn, Philip Seymour Hoffman, his agent Steve Alexander, and pal Ellen DeGeneres, to talk to Interview magazine about their relationship with the star. . . 

http://imdb.com/news/wenn/2008-03-13/

And on TV Guide's site: 

Today's News: Our Take
Michelle Williams: Heath Was "Vulnerable"

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Todays-News/Michelle-Williams-Heath/800035536

I picked up a copy of the magazine today.  There's a nice four-page spread of mostly quotes from people about Heath.  There's three photos, my favorite being the one of him and Michelle when Michelle was pregnant.  But there's a twist to the picture that makes it. 

I think the issue is so new that even the Interview site (www.interviewmagazine.com/) doesn't display the cover (But the site does crash my browser every time.).  The cover features Madonna in boxing drag, looking fierce. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2008, 01:27:33 pm »
The Empire magazine I bought on Ebay has arrived today. The pic of Heath on the cover is just stunning.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2008, 01:32:17 pm »
The Empire magazine I bought on Ebay has arrived today. The pic of Heath on the cover is just stunning.

That's great, Fabienne.

I just won one today too!  I love the cover picture as well. 

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2008, 12:05:03 pm »
cmr107,even if you can get a copy of "The Advocate",here I post the articles about Heath on it,if it could be of any interest for somebody... :) Sorry because the quality is a little low...

The editorial:

The article:

The last two pages are side by side, so the bottom of the last page is a continuation of the what Diana Ossana wrote about Heath, you should read it like this:

[/quote]
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

mvansand76

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2008, 03:48:58 pm »
Thank you so much, myprivatejack!!!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2008, 05:55:40 pm »
Thank you so much, myprivatejack!!!  :-* :-* :-*

You´re welcome,Snavel¡   :-*   :-* 
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline Fran

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2008, 02:06:52 am »
cmr107,even if you can get a copy of "The Advocate",here I post the articles about Heath on it,if it could be of any interest for somebody... :)

Thank you, myprivateJack.  I especially liked reading Diana Ossana's tribute.

Offline nova20194

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2008, 05:51:13 am »

I'd love to get a copy of the Empire magazine with the Heath Ledger memorial cover.  I've been watching eBay everyday.  Two days ago, there were three copies available for auction.  They all disappeared before long before the auctions ended, but they did not have a "Buy It Now" option.  I have no idea what happened.

If anyone happens to have an extra copy (fat chance, huh?), or you know someone who has one to sell, or you think you might be able to get one, please let me know.

Thanks,

Bob

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2008, 08:50:55 pm »
That last line of Dianna Osana's - "Heath was generous and dear, painfully shy and gifted, and I will miss him for the rest of my days" made me weep.  I also loved her comment that like Larry McMurtry, he was not concerned with his appearance, because "he lived inside his head."

I can't begin to imagine how hard it is to miss him when you've known him personally like she did.  I know I will miss him for the rest of my days, real life sight unseen.
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2008, 09:09:17 pm »
Just wanted to add that I was fortunate enough to be given a copy of this issue of The Advocate by a gay friend of mine who knew I would love reading the tributes and who thought of me, he said, when he received the issue.

And I love, really, that people, gay and straight, think of me when anything happens that concerns Jake or Heath or Dianna or Larry or Annie or Ang or Anne or Michelle or anyone or anything else tied to this movie.  I love that they associate me with it.

I used to worry that they thought I was a complete nut for being so obsessed with a film that, in most of their minds, didn't have anything to do with my life.  But now, I think there's a respect there - at the very least, a respect for my capacity to be passionate about something - anything.  Us 40-somethings tend to lose that capacity along the way, or so it seems.

Most of them don't know the true reason I connect so deeply with Ennis Del Mar, yet the respect is still there.  That said, it was one of the ones who does know who called me the second she heard of Heath's passing, and it was another one who knows who gave me this copy of his magazine.

This is a movie that has irrevocably changed me, and all in good ways.  It has enriched my life like nothing but a true work of art can do.  It's a movie that rekindled my passion for movies.  And the reason for that is all of those people.  And the core and center of those people is Heath.
No more beans!

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2008, 06:58:02 pm »
He's back on the cover of People. I was in a hurry when I saw it in the store so I didn't have time to look at it, but the cover says something about his "secret child."  ::) >:(

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2008, 08:42:40 pm »
He's back on the cover of People. I was in a hurry when I saw it in the store so I didn't have time to look at it, but the cover says something about his "secret child."  ::) >:(

It doesn't seem like anyone is denying the "secret child."  I'm guessing it's true.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2008, 01:09:08 am »
I guessing it isn't.  The mother of the child states in the article that it is ridiculous and won't even discuss it - again.

Heathen

Offline bluewater

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2008, 07:27:11 pm »
  Just wondering- has anyone heard of an article coming out in Vanity Fair, on Heath and those near to him?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2008, 05:44:09 pm »
Heath is the cover story of a German magazine this week. The magazine is "Gala" and the issue is #37 of September, 4th.

Believe it or not, I translated the whole article. I did it just for fun, not as a serious work. Therefore it's not the best translation I am able to do, there will be typos (plenty, I guess) and awkward phrases. The frequent time changes are directly from the article. Well, most of them are, some of them are probably my mistakes.
The style is emotionally manipulative, which derives from the original German text.
There are half-truths, exaggerations and speculations. I didn't comment on anything, just translated the article as it is.

This is the cover of the magazine:

The words on the cover are: The last days of Heath Ledger. How the star of Batman broke to pieces over the separation of his family.

The article:

His escape into reclusion

The Dark Knight beats all records – and reminds us painfully of the fate of a quiet star. GALA's protocol of the last days of Heath Ledger

September 1st:
On the kitchentable: Chaos. Empty glasses, books, chessmen, in between a photo of Matilda. In his head: even more chaos. Loneliness, guilt, sleep deprivation. When journalist Sarah Lyall meets actor Heath Ledger in fall 2007, he appears erratic and lugubrious. And apparently he is aware of this impression – seemingly he wasn't comfortable with the fact that he couldn't show a better version of himself to the public.

The New York Times journalist remembers: „ Heath stood up and got coffee. Out to the yard for a smoke. Taking down the hood of his sweater, shaking his hair, tying it with a rubber band, taking out the rubber band again, putting a hat on, hat down. Then again for a smoke.“ Three months later Heath Ledger dies lonely in his New Yorker apartment, after half a year of suffering agonies.

The day when he left the joined Brooklyn home, the day of separation of Michelle Williams – that was the day when his life derailed. Yes, even prior to that he had drunk more than he liked the next morning – every now and then. Yes, even much earlier he had dropped a handfull of Ecstasy pills or did a line of cocaine from time to time. And yes, even prior to this first day of September 2007, when the three year relationship broke up, there were days when he couldn't find himself, when he felt tired and unresting at the same time, as if he would be in invisible chains. But somehow he had managed to have it somewhat under control  up to that day: his life, his gloom, the drugs.

He was a daddy and a loving friend. His little family, Michelle and Matilda, kept him grounded. Thanks to them he had found prospects for himself, which kept him on the right path. „I'm Mr. Mom: I buy granola and boil eggs, do the dishes and make lunch. I love my new job!“ he gushed.  It fulfilled the media-shy star to give himself completely to his family, far from Hollywood.
„I've never been so close to leading a completely normal life“, he told New York Magazine shortly after he settled in Boerum Hill, a quiet quarter of Brooklyn. There's no place I'd rather be. We are very happy.“

September 3rd/4th:
But the bliss did not last. In the first week of September moving trucks carted Heath Ledger's belongings over the bridge across Hudson River to the bohemian side of the town, SoHo, where he had rent a loft in Broome Street 421 for 15000 Euros per month.
Saturday evenings the newly single hurled himself into the nightlife. With his friend Nathan he went to „Beatrice Inn“, an exclusive club in West Village. There, chances were high for Bohème stars like Kate Moss, Kirsten Dunst or the Olson twins staggering in in the early morning hours.

The following months the „Beatrice Inn“ should become Heath Ledger's favorite locality. Nathan hit on several women, asked them to type their numbers into Heath's cell phone. Some of them he even invited to some sort of after show party into the apartment in Broome Street. „We went with them, played backgammon with the guys“ a partygoer remembers. Heath was said to be friendly and quiet. And sober, she stresses. Allegedly somebody had drugs. „But his friend Nathan had said the stuff has to disappear immediately, Heath must not see it.“ Because the temptation was too much?

November, 15th:
Heath would have needed good friends by his side in the following weeks. But more and more he appeared alone in the „Beatrice Inn“, in the „Bungalow 8“ and the „Bar Martignetti“. „Last time I met him was Thanksgiving reports an acquaintance. „ He was totally beside himself, drugged up to the eyeballs. He didn't have the least bit control over himself. Forever he tried to drag my friend to the restrooms, to sniff some snow. He barely managed to bring out out a coherent sentence.“
Around the same time, but during daytime, Heath Ledger gave the New York Times the legendary interview , in which he gave horrific insights into his psyche.
„Last week I slept maybe two hours a night. I couldn't stop thinking. My body is totally exhausted, but my mind just goes on and on.

That was short of finishing shooting of  The Dark Knight, and the exhaustion was apparent. He was burnt out, the eyes flickering. One night he took a sleeping pill. As it didn't help, he took another. Then he slipped into sleep, perhaps for an hour.

When in company, he always talked about Matilda, and that he couldn't be with her. „It feels as if your whole body is one big lump.“

Around December, 24th:
Four weeks later a small ray of hope: he finds peace with his family in the Australian city of Perth. He stays there for two weeks over Christmas and New Year's Eve. „That's wonderful“ he says to an Australian newspaper at the end of the time. He goes riding with an uncle, goes out for dinner to the Indian restaurant „Maya“ with his parents and sister Kate, he frolics with his nieces at the beach.

There's even a little date: he invites model Gemma Ward, who also visits her parents, to the movies. They see the romantic comedy „2 Days in Paris“. The best thing for him is that he stays incognito. „Finally I feel like a small boy again. It's almost as if I had never been away.“

But the short high is followed by a severe low. First week of January he flies to London, to shoot „The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus“. He is worse off than ever. Ashen, fevered and coughing he's sitting on set in the wet and cold English winter. Possibly he has a walking pneumonia, his colleague Christopher Plummer, who also is in „The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus“, later surmises.
Another crew member remembers Heath a week before his death: „He didn't look like himself anymore. The great amount of travelling and filming took its toll.“
The plan was to continue the filming of „Parnassus“ one week later in Vancouver, on the other side of the world.  But Heath Ledger wasn't able to keep the appointment.

January, 20th:
This evening, he hangs out at the „Beatrice Inn“ once again and orders a drink. And a second one. And another. His looks give you the creeps: „He wore a ski mask. Only the eyes and the mouth were  cut out [of the mask]“, an observer says. At one point Heath Ledger gets up and leaves. Alone into the night, alone with his thoughts.

January, 21st:
The next morning he has breakfast in the brasserie „Le Pain Quotidien“: a bowl of granola; alone with his iPod. Later he roams the icy streets. Everything is in the grip of the post-Christmas-blues. Around midday he meets with Gemma Ward for lunch. It's a flirt, a try. Just like the making-out with Lindsay Lohan, the hanky-panky with Helena Christensen and Mary-Kate Olsen. All of them party acquaintances, one-night-stands perhaps, nothing serious in any case.
And definitively no solace for an endlessly forlorn person.

Around 6PM Heath Ledger is shopping for groceries in the „Gourmet Garage“ near his apartment. „Three bags full of fruit and vegetables, downright stocking up on supplies“, says a salesperson. „I remember organic sausages were also among his shopping.“

Then he goes home. Director Shekhar Kapur calls, asks for a spontaneous get-together. Heath declines „but he said he absolutely wanted to meet me the next day. I should give him a call and wake him up the next morning.“

What the actor does after this call is still unclear. Probably he couldn't sleep again. Perhaps he strolled around Central Park that night, as so many nights before; restless, desolate.
At one point he swallows sedatives, then a sleeping pill, later two highly dosed painkillers.

January 22nd:
While in Hollywood the Oscar nominees 2008 are announced at a press conference, in Manhattan housekeeper Teresa Solomon opens the door to Heath Ledgers apartment. It is noon, the householder is still in bed.
Nothing out of the ordinary. Teresa Solomon starts to tidy up the living room and clean the kitchen. Then she goes to the bathroom, to exchange a light bulb. Doing so, she passes by the bedroom. The door is ajar. Teresa believes to hear her boss snoring gently.
Whether Heath Ledger woke up for a short time after that and took another pill? The one which cost his life? We'll never know for sure.

At 2:45PM masseuse Diana Wolozin rings the bell – Heath had made an appointment with her. The housekeeper opens the door. Diana knocks gently at the bedroom door. No response. She calls Heath on his cell phone. Nothing. Five minute past three the two women decide to go into his room. They find Heath Ledger naked and lifeless on the floor in front of his bed.

Diana attempts CPR. When it fails, she grabs Heath's cell phone and redials the last number. She gets Mary-Kate Olsen and tells her what happened. Mary-Kate, who is in a meeting with her manager in Beverly Hills, immediately sends a team of security staff to the loft. Apparently she believes Heath to have become unconscious while druggy – and she intents to prevent the public  getting  wind of it.

Meanwhile Teresa also calls the police and paramedics. All units arrive almost at the same moment. A second attempt of CPR by a doctor falls through.

Still on location, Heath Ledger is pronounced dead.  Time of death is 3:36PM.

About three hours later policemen bring out the gurney with the corpse through a crowd.

February 6th:
Medical examiners release the following press release: „Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine." Those are the substances of content of all his prescribed pharmaceuticals..
His death was an accident. Like the raft of a castaway finally capsizing in a storm after days of  floating on the high seas.

September 2008:
Fans and critics all over the world praise Heath Ledger in the role of Batman antagonist  Joker. The Dark Knight breaks all records. But for Heath Ledger during his last days even that fact would not have been a consolation.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2008, 06:39:18 pm »
Wow, great job.  Thank you Chrissi!!!

Yeah, definitely a lot of conjecture in there.  But quite an interesting article, nonetheless.

Offline optom3

« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2008, 08:42:02 pm »
Chrissi, a massive thankyou from me to. Are you bilingual, you must be at least pretty fluent in both languages.I am so impressed by anyone who is fluent in more than one language.
I think I have thanked you on another thread, but there's no such thing as too many thankyous is there?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2008, 09:10:42 pm »
Great job, Chrissi!  Thank you.  It's easier than it used to be to read those details, but still so, so sad.  I wonder if it's true he had gone back to drugs and alcohol.  I'll still believe he was clean and sober til it's proven otherwise, and that, of course, may never come to pass.  God bless, Heath.  :'(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline optom3

« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2008, 10:19:30 pm »
Great job, Chrissi!  Thank you.  It's easier than it used to be to read those details, but still so, so sad.  I wonder if it's true he had gone back to drugs and alcohol.  I'll still believe he was clean and sober til it's proven otherwise, and that, of course, may never come to pass.  God bless, Heath.  :'(

I would like to think he was staying away from drugs.I can't help but think if he was into heavy drug use as suggested by some,there would have been evidence in his appt. I cannot think of a single drug user who has no drugs where they live.
He only seemed to have the Rx drugs.
I also prefer not to think of him as being so desolate at the end.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2008, 07:15:07 am »
Thank you Laura, Fiona and Meryl.

Are you bilingual, you must be at least pretty fluent in both languages.

I wasn't raised bilingual (my parents both didn't speak any English) and have never lived in an English speaking country. I started learning it at school, fell in love with the language and just kept on learning ever since.
So measured by that standard I'd say I'm fluent in English. But compared to native speakers  - that's of course a whole different story.

Offline optom3

« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2008, 08:29:58 am »
Thank you Laura, Fiona and Meryl.

I wasn't raised bilingual (my parents both didn't speak any English) and have never lived in an English speaking country. I started learning it at school, fell in love with the language and just kept on learning ever since.
So measured by that standard I'd say I'm fluent in English. But compared to native speakers  - that's of course a whole different story.

I would never have known from your posts that English was not your first language.It is supposed to be a very difficult language to learn as well.I am having to relearn it here in America.I now use a sort of hybrid American/English spelling and pronunciation.My kids are completely American/English users.They get so mad with me when I talk of bbots not trunks, pavements not sidewalks etc. and fries and chips just drives me nuts !!!!

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2008, 10:56:35 am »
Penthesilea, it's great you translated this article for our English speaking friends. Well done! :)

I read the article on the Gala site, though there are some inaccuracies imo, the article was an interesting and sad read. I wish we knew what it was that wasn't ok with Heath, except that he missed his girl. I wish people who knew him could have helped him or at least i hope they tried. I don't know. :(