Author Topic: "Ennis" - Brokeback Sequel  (Read 13922 times)

Offline tforster

• Sr. Ranch Hand
"Ennis" - Brokeback Sequel
« on: May 19, 2006, 11:35:06 pm »
Here's a link to a story I wrote last December: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2744690/1/Ennis
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:49:06 pm by tforster »

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: "Ennis" - Brokeback Sequel
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 04:29:59 am »
Tom-

Simply beautiful.

Ruby

Heathen

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 12:05:30 am »
OMG OMG OMG!!!  :D

I had started reading this when it was posed to Imdb back in December.  I can't remember how far I got, and then it was deleted.  ???

I was in such a daze and depression over BBM at the time.  As we know, the movie leaves everything ambiguiously open, with no closure at all.   :'(  I was so devistated and lost over the movie and the short story, and THIS story here helped me tremendously to start moving forward in the direction of finding closure on BBM, and figuring it all out.

I can't believe I've been reunited with the first 'fan fiction' I started reading, that was taken away from me.  I have just printed the whole thing out and am set for a good read.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU TOM FOR POSTING THIS HERE.  I AM ON THE VERGE OF TEARS...  :'(  :)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 03:27:45 am »
Eric brought the story to my attention--and that of others---by e-mail, and I am so grateful to him. It is a beautifully written story, of great psychological depth and practical knowledge, and I hope everyoine will TAKE THE TIME TO READ IT!

JUST DO IT!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 10:37:23 pm »
VERY nice.  It's hard to think of Ennis being with anyone else, but I like the way you approached it, here, Tom.  Very believable.  Very real.  Very good.  :)
No more beans!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 12:52:07 pm »
If there was going to be a continuation of the story or a sequel, this would be it!  :)

Thank you for writing it and posting it here.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 05:41:43 pm »
Tom,

This is one of the best Brokeback sequels based on the original storyline.  It’s powerful and beautiful.  It’s satisfying to know that Ennis’ memory for Jack didn’t consume him, but rather empowered him to seek happiness that he once missed.  From someone who also cares Ennis deeply, thank you for sharing the story so we can find the closure in our hearts as well.

Thanks for post it here, otherwise I will never get to read it.

Jenny

Offline tforster

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 05:52:29 pm »
Thank y'all for your kind remarks - I enjoyed writing the story - it helped me to get over the sadness of the original story & movie (which I think are perfect as they are!)... I'm glad I found this site, lots of nice people in here!   :)   Tom

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 06:09:25 pm »
I'm glad I found this site, lots of nice people in here!   :)   Tom

You got that right! :)

If you have done any other brokeback mountain stories, do share!

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 12:53:24 pm »
Hey, READ UP, all you Ennis guys!
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 09:07:45 pm »
Tom,

This is one of the best stories I've read in a very long time. It brought tears to my eyes during several parts. I actually wish it were longer so I could find out what happened to Ennis and Billy!

Extremely well done, Tom. As a fellow writer, I offer my compliments.
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...

Offline opinionista

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 05:43:39 am »
This story brought tears to my eyes too, especially the moments when Ennis thinks of Jack. You can feel the love and the pain he is feeling and how much he misses him. I particulary like when Ennis remembers that Jack used to make it everything easy for him.

I liked it because this story is about hope. About how someone comes along just when you're not expecting it, when you think everything is lost, and gives you a reason to smile again and to keep on living.  Very beautiful and very well written.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 10:00:23 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 07:03:49 am »
Tom this was absolutly brilliant, well done!! Yes like someone else said it,s hard to think of Ennis being with anyone else and wether or not he would have loved Billy with the same passion he did Jack, we,ll probably never know.  Took  my breath away,I wished it was longer!!. well done again. :)

Which kind of leads us on to the next question.  IF they decided to do a sequel with this BRILLIANT story, who would play Ennis,s new love? :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 07:35:39 am by Jane »
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 07:18:03 am »
I found this piece to be written in quite a plain, straightforward style which contrasts will a lot more of the slashy type fan fiction which can verge on the florid.  It was a refreshing change of style, suited to the story, & to the Ennis in this piece.  It made the emotional parts (& physical parts) stand out a lot more.  The scenario & other characters were described to just the right degree, not too much or too little information.  The landscape, scenery & animal description was stunning, which I always feel is an important part of a BBM fan fiction as it was what J&E's lives were all about.  It was a brave move on both the author's and Ennis's part at the end (I won't say doing what so as not to spoil but anyone that's read it will know).  I could see the Ennis in this story doing it, especially with the sentiment that went along with it.  So important for him to properly acknowledge it, even though he has acknowledged it internally.  In this piece it seems he will have many years left before he finally meets Jack again.  I'm pretty sure Jack looking down will approve & be happy for  him at last.
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline cricket99999

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 05:51:19 pm »
I read this last night and really enjoyed it.  Nice work, Tom!

moremojo

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 09:23:02 pm »
Tom--

Thank you for this beautiful and moving continuation/closure to Ennis's story, and for creating a character in Billy who is as wonderful and loveable as Ennis and Jack.

With great appreciation,
Scott

moremojo

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 08:04:34 pm »
In light of the new people who may be exploring our site following their first encounter with the film via HBO, I wanted to take a moment and give a bump to this thread, which contains the link to an incredibly beautiful story that may help some in coping with any feelings of grief they may be experiencing over Ennis and his plight. Our member Tom created a true work of art in this continuation of Ennis's story, and it stands as an example of the heights that inspired fanfiction can scale.

Thanks again, Tom, for your wonderful writing, and I warmly invite all who encounter this thread to give Tom's 'Ennis' story a try. It has the power to give closure, and to open up whole new vistas of wonder and gratitude.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 09:13:18 am »
I provided a recommendation for this story on Slash Discussion on DC:

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=20812.msg763508#msg763508

excerpted here:

In this vein I would like to add my recommendations on stories that are excellently written and oft-overlooked that happen to "ship the OC" :  "A Gift of Exile" a remarkable first story by TDS Editor Marge_Innavera, and "Ennis: Brokeback Sequel" by Tom Forster.  Before getting into writing any fan fiction stories myself I sent a comment to Tom about "Ennis", which he wrote in December 2005, and it is one of the original fan stories about BBM.  He told me at the time that he felt very strongly about making a future for Ennis after the end of BBM, and like my story, and like Marge's story, Tom's Ennis is grief-stricken, and stumbles upon a new love relationship in an unlikely (but historically probably quite accurate way) by meeting another ranch hand in the course of ranching work when he is older.  He wrote the story for himself (as I initially wrote "Taking Chances" for myself), and like me, was sad to discover that it did not get much attention among other fans.  That has since changed.

"Ennis"  http://www.rainbowcommunitywritingproject.com/Ennis.html

Marge_Innavera' story "A Gift of Exile" has a quite original story line in it about the immediate future after the end of BBM in which Ennis meets a "gay man" who is a wedding guest at a marriage reception in Riverton and takes up a correspondence with him after giving him some horseback riding lessons.  The truly unique take on BBM that Marge brings to this tale is the mystical element, expanding Annie Proulx's concept of "seeing Jack in his dream" into a complete mystical journey in which Jack returns to Ennis on Brokeback in a two-day-long vision -- reminiscent of vision quests of the native peoples -- and urges him to find a new life with his blessing, allowing Ennis to say goodbye at last, and enjoy the peace that comes from knowing that the dead have not truly died but live on in a spiritual sense.  It is the mystical tale that I was going for myself in writing "A Warm Wind Blows", my first fan fiction about Ennis developing cancer in later life and receiving a visitation from a still young Jack Twist who reassures him he does not have to die of grief. Mine was a bit of a ghost-story fantasy romp, but Marge's is a far more serious, far more moving treatment:

"A Gift of Exile" http://talkstocoyotes.livejournal.com/

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 11:11:07 am »
I had honestly never heard of this one, thanks for rec-ing it and bumping the thread, Louise.

Sometimes some good ones slip through the cracks. I'm going to put this on my list to read as well as Gift of Exile.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Scott6373

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 11:30:22 am »
"Ennis", was the first ff I read.  It really started this whole thing for me.  I need to re-read it.

mvansand76

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 12:11:48 pm »
I loved this story, I read it when we were in Switserland last year! We were lying in a small caravan, right at the foot of a glacier and I was reading it and I remember thinking that the story fit my surroundings so beautifully!

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 01:12:07 pm »
I really like "Gift of Exile." The author Marge_Innavera, is currently working on more chapters.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 03:52:54 pm »
I need to re-read it.

Guess what - that's exactly what I did today after reading your post. I haven't read it in many, many months, certainly more than half a year. It hasn't lost any of it's impact. It's plain, straighforward (like nic already said so long ago) and true to canon.
Moreover it has simple beauty and hit me directly to the heart.
Thanks to you and to all who bumped this thread.

All others who haven't already read it: take the time. Go and read this story.

yb

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 01:37:01 am »
I love this story.  I read it some time in mid 2006 through a link provided on another forum.  I loved it then but had lost the link.  I'm sorry that this story hasn't got much attention.  But thanks for bumping this thread so that I can re-read this again.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 09:42:46 am by yb »

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 10:23:20 pm »
I just read this story and really thought it was great. It illustrates perfectly what Ennis would "really" do after Jack passes on.

cc33

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007, 06:28:38 pm »

I think all approaches, personally, are interesting to read, and we have too few examples of Ennis's life in a relationship with another man after Jack's death. I wish that there was something I could do to "nurture" this genre somehow so that more of these types of stories could be written.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2007, 01:16:52 am »
Evenin'.

I first read this in early 2006.  Was one of the first fanfics I saved and printed.  Believed then, and still do, that Ennis would not end his days as a broken,frustrated alcoholic.  Jack's death shook him to the core, and made him swear somrthing to Jack.  Very believable that he swore to remember Jack always, and not to make the same mistakes again if love came his way a second time.  After all, in the OS [including the Prologue] he always woke up happy after dreaming of Jack, and continued to find work, and was trusted enough to be given the keys to the ranch buildings to give to the new buyer, and felt comfortable enough to move in with his married daughter while in between jobs.  Not the picture of an angry, self-hating broken middle-aged man. 

In this story, Ennis found love a second time in the most natural yet surprising of circumstances. So, he swore again to Jack to love and remember him always, but gave up his most precious momentos of Jack in order to free himself to love again, this time fully.  I find that realistic for Ennis, even in the Wyoming of the late 1980's early 1990's.  Still do. 

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2007, 03:22:35 am »
You know what would be great, if someone could communicate all of these heartfelt sentiments to Tom Forster.  I know that he was very discouraged by the apparent lack of enthusiasm for his story back when he wrote it, and I wonder if he knows just how many people were moved by it.  I know that I was very discouraged by the lack of enthusiasm for my story, "Taking Chances" when I was first writing it and posting links and updates on another forum.  I kept going because of those few people who stuck with it and kept commenting. I am not sure whether Tom did.

If anyone knows how to contact him or has had any correspondence with him ... it might be worth inviting him to join up and bask in the heartfelt appreciation of so many people on Bettermost.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2007, 08:03:28 am »
this email address is stated at the beginning of the story

[email protected]
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2007, 09:58:48 am »
I just read this and think it's really beautiful. Wonderfully written and just lovely to read  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2007, 09:30:37 am »
Hey Tom, welcome...

Glad to have you here. That's a great picture. Where are you? Looks fabulous with the rocky islands in the background.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline tforster

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2007, 01:01:52 am »
The picture was taken in County Kerry on the southwest coast of Ireland in August of '06. The islands in the backgound are called the Skelligs. My partner, John, and I took a boat trip out to Skellig Michael which was the site of a 6th century monastery that was inhabited for over 500 years - usually by only a dozen monks at a time. The ancient stone beehive huts and walls still stand on the island peak. Skellig Michael is a remote, mysterious and beautiful place. On the day we drove down to the coast we took a detour and had lunch in the town of Ennis!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 09:31:46 am by tforster »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2007, 07:19:45 am »
Oh very cool...I've been to Ennis, too! Small world....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2007, 01:29:53 pm »
Thanks, Louise, for bumping this and to everyone else for their strong recommendations.

But most of all, thanks to you, Tom.   I read "Ennis" in one sitting last night and I loved every single word.  It was a perfect read just before bed - I was left with a wonderful warm feeling of peace, contentment and hope.  This is one that I know I'll be re-reading, and I join the others in urging anyone who hasn't read it to do so.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline badwater

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2007, 06:18:04 pm »
Tom -

Thank you so much for this great follow up story for Brokeback. I only watched the film recently (October) and I've been haunted by it ever since... your story has helped me so much! At first, it was hard to think of Ennis with anybody else but Jack... but after a while I realized that this is what I would want for him.

The ending was just perfect. I'm a firm believer that you cannot live in the past... I'm not saying you should forget your past, but to wallow in it is not a good thing.

I feel at peace about Ennis now - for this I am very grateful.

Badwater

Offline blanka

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2007, 01:46:53 am »
Hi Tom.
I read your story last year and I loved it. I always believed that Jack loved Ennis so much and through that strong love Ennis was able to love again not to forget Jack but to remember him always.  I wish I had the courage sooner to let you know how much this story meant.I'm not good with comments. But I did copy your story and keep it with a few others I love.
Thank you so much for sharing it.
Blanka,
 If I missed you at Christmas, I wish you a Wonderful New Year and I hope more stories for us.

moremojo

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2008, 11:02:41 am »
In this time of widespread bereavement over our loss of Heath, I thought I'd bump this thread which contains a beautiful story by our member Tom Forster which helped me immensely in my grieving over Ennis. Tom's wonderful story gives powerful evidence that life and love go on, and that we gain newfound strength and hope when coming to terms with death.

Thank you so much, Tom.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 12:40:16 pm »
Good call, Scott.  I found this story very moving, and read it quite early on in my fan fiction reading, and got a chance to write to Tom about it.  He told me that he was so overwhelmed by the prospect of Ennis continuing his life lonely and bereft that he had to write a better outcome for him.

Offline rlh03

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2008, 01:21:39 am »
Hello, Tom.  I've just had the privilege of reading your sequel.  Your story has managed to ease some of the pain that has been with me since I saw BBM for the first time.  I felt sorrow for the death of Jack, but I've been having a bad time dealing with (in my mind) the loneliness and sorrow I felt Ennis would go thru for the rest of his life.  For someone brave and talented enough to sculpt the lovely story you did does honor to BBM, Ennis, and yes, Heath. I can't help but feel that if he were still with us, that some day in the future he might take a stab at producing the film version (and maybe star in it also).  Seeing life and love go on does give one the strength to deal better with the tragic death of Heath.  Thank you for such a wonderful story.   :) :)

Offline badwater

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 08:51:32 pm »
Wow, this was written almost 10 years ago! It's still my favorite fanfiction based on Brokeback.