Author Topic: "Ennis" - Brokeback Sequel  (Read 13907 times)

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
Re: "Ennis" - Brokeback Sequel
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 09:07:45 pm »
Tom,

This is one of the best stories I've read in a very long time. It brought tears to my eyes during several parts. I actually wish it were longer so I could find out what happened to Ennis and Billy!

Extremely well done, Tom. As a fellow writer, I offer my compliments.
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 05:43:39 am »
This story brought tears to my eyes too, especially the moments when Ennis thinks of Jack. You can feel the love and the pain he is feeling and how much he misses him. I particulary like when Ennis remembers that Jack used to make it everything easy for him.

I liked it because this story is about hope. About how someone comes along just when you're not expecting it, when you think everything is lost, and gives you a reason to smile again and to keep on living.  Very beautiful and very well written.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 10:00:23 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 07:03:49 am »
Tom this was absolutly brilliant, well done!! Yes like someone else said it,s hard to think of Ennis being with anyone else and wether or not he would have loved Billy with the same passion he did Jack, we,ll probably never know.  Took  my breath away,I wished it was longer!!. well done again. :)

Which kind of leads us on to the next question.  IF they decided to do a sequel with this BRILLIANT story, who would play Ennis,s new love? :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 07:35:39 am by Jane »
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 07:18:03 am »
I found this piece to be written in quite a plain, straightforward style which contrasts will a lot more of the slashy type fan fiction which can verge on the florid.  It was a refreshing change of style, suited to the story, & to the Ennis in this piece.  It made the emotional parts (& physical parts) stand out a lot more.  The scenario & other characters were described to just the right degree, not too much or too little information.  The landscape, scenery & animal description was stunning, which I always feel is an important part of a BBM fan fiction as it was what J&E's lives were all about.  It was a brave move on both the author's and Ennis's part at the end (I won't say doing what so as not to spoil but anyone that's read it will know).  I could see the Ennis in this story doing it, especially with the sentiment that went along with it.  So important for him to properly acknowledge it, even though he has acknowledged it internally.  In this piece it seems he will have many years left before he finally meets Jack again.  I'm pretty sure Jack looking down will approve & be happy for  him at last.
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline cricket99999

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 05:51:19 pm »
I read this last night and really enjoyed it.  Nice work, Tom!

moremojo

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 09:23:02 pm »
Tom--

Thank you for this beautiful and moving continuation/closure to Ennis's story, and for creating a character in Billy who is as wonderful and loveable as Ennis and Jack.

With great appreciation,
Scott

moremojo

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 08:04:34 pm »
In light of the new people who may be exploring our site following their first encounter with the film via HBO, I wanted to take a moment and give a bump to this thread, which contains the link to an incredibly beautiful story that may help some in coping with any feelings of grief they may be experiencing over Ennis and his plight. Our member Tom created a true work of art in this continuation of Ennis's story, and it stands as an example of the heights that inspired fanfiction can scale.

Thanks again, Tom, for your wonderful writing, and I warmly invite all who encounter this thread to give Tom's 'Ennis' story a try. It has the power to give closure, and to open up whole new vistas of wonder and gratitude.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 09:13:18 am »
I provided a recommendation for this story on Slash Discussion on DC:

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=20812.msg763508#msg763508

excerpted here:

In this vein I would like to add my recommendations on stories that are excellently written and oft-overlooked that happen to "ship the OC" :  "A Gift of Exile" a remarkable first story by TDS Editor Marge_Innavera, and "Ennis: Brokeback Sequel" by Tom Forster.  Before getting into writing any fan fiction stories myself I sent a comment to Tom about "Ennis", which he wrote in December 2005, and it is one of the original fan stories about BBM.  He told me at the time that he felt very strongly about making a future for Ennis after the end of BBM, and like my story, and like Marge's story, Tom's Ennis is grief-stricken, and stumbles upon a new love relationship in an unlikely (but historically probably quite accurate way) by meeting another ranch hand in the course of ranching work when he is older.  He wrote the story for himself (as I initially wrote "Taking Chances" for myself), and like me, was sad to discover that it did not get much attention among other fans.  That has since changed.

"Ennis"  http://www.rainbowcommunitywritingproject.com/Ennis.html

Marge_Innavera' story "A Gift of Exile" has a quite original story line in it about the immediate future after the end of BBM in which Ennis meets a "gay man" who is a wedding guest at a marriage reception in Riverton and takes up a correspondence with him after giving him some horseback riding lessons.  The truly unique take on BBM that Marge brings to this tale is the mystical element, expanding Annie Proulx's concept of "seeing Jack in his dream" into a complete mystical journey in which Jack returns to Ennis on Brokeback in a two-day-long vision -- reminiscent of vision quests of the native peoples -- and urges him to find a new life with his blessing, allowing Ennis to say goodbye at last, and enjoy the peace that comes from knowing that the dead have not truly died but live on in a spiritual sense.  It is the mystical tale that I was going for myself in writing "A Warm Wind Blows", my first fan fiction about Ennis developing cancer in later life and receiving a visitation from a still young Jack Twist who reassures him he does not have to die of grief. Mine was a bit of a ghost-story fantasy romp, but Marge's is a far more serious, far more moving treatment:

"A Gift of Exile" http://talkstocoyotes.livejournal.com/

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 11:11:07 am »
I had honestly never heard of this one, thanks for rec-ing it and bumping the thread, Louise.

Sometimes some good ones slip through the cracks. I'm going to put this on my list to read as well as Gift of Exile.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Scott6373

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 11:30:22 am »
"Ennis", was the first ff I read.  It really started this whole thing for me.  I need to re-read it.