Author Topic: "Ennis" - Brokeback Sequel  (Read 13952 times)

mvansand76

Re: "Ennis" - Brokeback Sequel
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 12:11:48 pm »
I loved this story, I read it when we were in Switserland last year! We were lying in a small caravan, right at the foot of a glacier and I was reading it and I remember thinking that the story fit my surroundings so beautifully!

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 01:12:07 pm »
I really like "Gift of Exile." The author Marge_Innavera, is currently working on more chapters.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 03:52:54 pm »
I need to re-read it.

Guess what - that's exactly what I did today after reading your post. I haven't read it in many, many months, certainly more than half a year. It hasn't lost any of it's impact. It's plain, straighforward (like nic already said so long ago) and true to canon.
Moreover it has simple beauty and hit me directly to the heart.
Thanks to you and to all who bumped this thread.

All others who haven't already read it: take the time. Go and read this story.

yb

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2007, 01:37:01 am »
I love this story.  I read it some time in mid 2006 through a link provided on another forum.  I loved it then but had lost the link.  I'm sorry that this story hasn't got much attention.  But thanks for bumping this thread so that I can re-read this again.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 09:42:46 am by yb »

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2007, 10:23:20 pm »
I just read this story and really thought it was great. It illustrates perfectly what Ennis would "really" do after Jack passes on.

cc33

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007, 06:28:38 pm »

I think all approaches, personally, are interesting to read, and we have too few examples of Ennis's life in a relationship with another man after Jack's death. I wish that there was something I could do to "nurture" this genre somehow so that more of these types of stories could be written.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2007, 01:16:52 am »
Evenin'.

I first read this in early 2006.  Was one of the first fanfics I saved and printed.  Believed then, and still do, that Ennis would not end his days as a broken,frustrated alcoholic.  Jack's death shook him to the core, and made him swear somrthing to Jack.  Very believable that he swore to remember Jack always, and not to make the same mistakes again if love came his way a second time.  After all, in the OS [including the Prologue] he always woke up happy after dreaming of Jack, and continued to find work, and was trusted enough to be given the keys to the ranch buildings to give to the new buyer, and felt comfortable enough to move in with his married daughter while in between jobs.  Not the picture of an angry, self-hating broken middle-aged man. 

In this story, Ennis found love a second time in the most natural yet surprising of circumstances. So, he swore again to Jack to love and remember him always, but gave up his most precious momentos of Jack in order to free himself to love again, this time fully.  I find that realistic for Ennis, even in the Wyoming of the late 1980's early 1990's.  Still do. 

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2007, 03:22:35 am »
You know what would be great, if someone could communicate all of these heartfelt sentiments to Tom Forster.  I know that he was very discouraged by the apparent lack of enthusiasm for his story back when he wrote it, and I wonder if he knows just how many people were moved by it.  I know that I was very discouraged by the lack of enthusiasm for my story, "Taking Chances" when I was first writing it and posting links and updates on another forum.  I kept going because of those few people who stuck with it and kept commenting. I am not sure whether Tom did.

If anyone knows how to contact him or has had any correspondence with him ... it might be worth inviting him to join up and bask in the heartfelt appreciation of so many people on Bettermost.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2007, 08:03:28 am »
this email address is stated at the beginning of the story

[email protected]
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2007, 09:58:48 am »
I just read this and think it's really beautiful. Wonderfully written and just lovely to read  :)