Author Topic: "Ennis" - Brokeback Sequel  (Read 14614 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: "Ennis" - Brokeback Sequel
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2007, 09:30:37 am »
Hey Tom, welcome...

Glad to have you here. That's a great picture. Where are you? Looks fabulous with the rocky islands in the background.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline tforster

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2007, 01:01:52 am »
The picture was taken in County Kerry on the southwest coast of Ireland in August of '06. The islands in the backgound are called the Skelligs. My partner, John, and I took a boat trip out to Skellig Michael which was the site of a 6th century monastery that was inhabited for over 500 years - usually by only a dozen monks at a time. The ancient stone beehive huts and walls still stand on the island peak. Skellig Michael is a remote, mysterious and beautiful place. On the day we drove down to the coast we took a detour and had lunch in the town of Ennis!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 09:31:46 am by tforster »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2007, 07:19:45 am »
Oh very cool...I've been to Ennis, too! Small world....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2007, 01:29:53 pm »
Thanks, Louise, for bumping this and to everyone else for their strong recommendations.

But most of all, thanks to you, Tom.   I read "Ennis" in one sitting last night and I loved every single word.  It was a perfect read just before bed - I was left with a wonderful warm feeling of peace, contentment and hope.  This is one that I know I'll be re-reading, and I join the others in urging anyone who hasn't read it to do so.

Thanks,
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline badwater

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2007, 06:18:04 pm »
Tom -

Thank you so much for this great follow up story for Brokeback. I only watched the film recently (October) and I've been haunted by it ever since... your story has helped me so much! At first, it was hard to think of Ennis with anybody else but Jack... but after a while I realized that this is what I would want for him.

The ending was just perfect. I'm a firm believer that you cannot live in the past... I'm not saying you should forget your past, but to wallow in it is not a good thing.

I feel at peace about Ennis now - for this I am very grateful.

Badwater

Offline blanka

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2007, 01:46:53 am »
Hi Tom.
I read your story last year and I loved it. I always believed that Jack loved Ennis so much and through that strong love Ennis was able to love again not to forget Jack but to remember him always.  I wish I had the courage sooner to let you know how much this story meant.I'm not good with comments. But I did copy your story and keep it with a few others I love.
Thank you so much for sharing it.
Blanka,
 If I missed you at Christmas, I wish you a Wonderful New Year and I hope more stories for us.

moremojo

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2008, 11:02:41 am »
In this time of widespread bereavement over our loss of Heath, I thought I'd bump this thread which contains a beautiful story by our member Tom Forster which helped me immensely in my grieving over Ennis. Tom's wonderful story gives powerful evidence that life and love go on, and that we gain newfound strength and hope when coming to terms with death.

Thank you so much, Tom.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 12:40:16 pm »
Good call, Scott.  I found this story very moving, and read it quite early on in my fan fiction reading, and got a chance to write to Tom about it.  He told me that he was so overwhelmed by the prospect of Ennis continuing his life lonely and bereft that he had to write a better outcome for him.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline rlh03

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2008, 01:21:39 am »
Hello, Tom.  I've just had the privilege of reading your sequel.  Your story has managed to ease some of the pain that has been with me since I saw BBM for the first time.  I felt sorrow for the death of Jack, but I've been having a bad time dealing with (in my mind) the loneliness and sorrow I felt Ennis would go thru for the rest of his life.  For someone brave and talented enough to sculpt the lovely story you did does honor to BBM, Ennis, and yes, Heath. I can't help but feel that if he were still with us, that some day in the future he might take a stab at producing the film version (and maybe star in it also).  Seeing life and love go on does give one the strength to deal better with the tragic death of Heath.  Thank you for such a wonderful story.   :) :)

Offline badwater

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2015, 08:51:32 pm »
Wow, this was written almost 10 years ago! It's still my favorite fanfiction based on Brokeback.