Author Topic: all the pretty horses  (Read 4948 times)

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
all the pretty horses
« on: February 01, 2008, 01:55:51 pm »
has anyone seen the movie 'all the pretty horses' with matt damon and penelope cruz?  i was told that if i liked brokeback, i'd like this movie too.  any thoughts on this?  i can't seem to find very much info on what the movie is really about.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: all the pretty horses
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 06:19:37 pm »
not seen it i'm afraid!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 06:28:24 pm »
well, like i said, i can't get much info on it, but apparently it's about two gay guys in a western setting......so, since no one seems to know anything, or don't wish to reply, i'll just watch it, and let you know.
i know it's not going to be no brokeback...that's for sure....but i'll check it out.

injest

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 03:19:01 pm »
well, like i said, i can't get much info on it, but apparently it's about two gay guys in a western setting......so, since no one seems to know anything, or don't wish to reply, i'll just watch it, and let you know.
i know it's not going to be no brokeback...that's for sure....but i'll check it out.

well holler back and let us know how you liked it!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 03:33:02 pm »
Hey Forsythia,

Here's a user comment from IMDb:

John Grady Cole (Matt Damon) is an American drifter, who moves to Mexico expecting to have a better life, but nothing works the way he has expected. "All the Pretty Horses" is a kind of predictable soap opera from Billy Bob Thorton. It is indeed a politically correct melodramatic story, with average performances and direction, although having an excellent cast with names such as Matt Dammon, Sam Shepard, Robert Patrick, Lucas Black, Rubén Blades, Bruce Dern and Penélope Cruz. For fans of Billy Bob Thorton, it is a very disappointing movie, but for lovers of linear romances, it is a beautiful movie, with wonderful landscapes and a message of loyalty and principles. "All the Pretty Horses" is a correct movie with no surprises. My vote is seven.

There's also the message board over at IMDb which may have the information you're looking for.

Oh, and this from Wikipedia re the editing:

After Billy Bob Thornton completed his cut (said to be somewhere between three and four hours) producer/distributor Harvey Weinstein forced him to cut more than one hour out of it. Peter Biskind suggests in Down and Dirty Pictures that this was at least partially done as payback for Thornton's refusal to cut Sling Blade down. In the end, Thornton was forced to cut the film down, which had an impact on the storytelling. Matt Damon was publicly critical of this decision, saying to Entertainment Weekly, "You can't cut 35% of the movie and expect it to be the same movie."

Some attempts have been made to release a director's cut DVD, but arrangements can not be reached with the original composer, Daniel Lanois. As part of the re-cut, Weinstein scrapped the original score and hired Marty Stuart. Lanois felt insulted, and has steadfastly refused to license his score (which, unusually, he owns) to any release of the film.

It has an impressive cast.  Please let us know if you liked it.

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 04:33:29 pm »
hey thanks everyone for the replies.  i'm going to watch it today.  i'll let everyone know what i think, so keep checking this thread.
thanks again for the info.

injest

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 04:37:43 pm »
 ;D ;D

I saw the trailer...looks good!

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 11:58:27 pm »
alright guys.  i have officially viewe the movie.  here's my thoughts: (warning....major spoiler alert for those planning on watching this movie)

it's about two male best friends, (john and lacey) on horseback, in a western/country setting that form an even stronger bond through their wild and dangerous expediton.
there are some parellels between brokeback and the movie, especially some visuals that will ring a bell.  heck, there's even talk of "i can't quit you", and hopes of each "gettin' their own spread", which i thought was rather amusing.

are they gay?  no.

matt damon's character (john) falls for penelope cruz, and it's fairly obvious that's where his attraction lies.  as far as 'lacey',  perhaps there may be some more affection, or love towards 'john'.....not sure, but at times, is implied.
the movie did not captivate me in the least, or surprized me in any way, and i was not sold on the love affair between john and cruz's character. i didn't find myself rooting for their love to pan out in the end, and frankly didn't really care what happened to the characters because the script didn't take you inside their life or thoughts enough to possibly feel any connection to them.  cruz was a disappointment, and played a predictable role in which made you almost glad they didn't stay together.  they're "situation" was made to seem far worse than it actually was.........so in a sense they 'made' a problem, when there really wasn't one, and you're expected to buy into this and actually mourn the seperation.  she left him to 'keep her word' to her family that she would not see him anymore, and to keep her honor.........which, seems insignificant compared to the 'love' she has for him.

basically, the movie lacks substance. 

apparently 35% was cut out, and perhaps that's the problem.  matt damon, who i admire as an actor, did his best with the lackluster script....but not his best movie.  without him however, the movie would've bombed far worse.
i give it a 5 or 6.

i have to wonder if bbm was just so good that it's ruined my opinion of any other movie? 

however, fellow brokies, you may appreciate the scenery, the visuals, and some of the paralells to bbm.
if you do watch it, i'd love to hear your opinion.

injest

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 12:28:38 am »
very good review, forsythia

I dont' know if I will see it or not...not a fan of Cruz...

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 12:30:28 am »
me neither!

injest

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 12:33:44 am »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 11:06:53 pm »
I definitely recommend that you...read the book! C'mon, it wouldn't kill you! It's a great book, and the first of a fine trilogy!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 12:35:41 am »
well you're obviously a fan of the story.  maybe i'll give the book a try....but the question i posed was about the movie, and franky, i think it lacked everything.
i certainly hope the book would be better.