Author Topic: Heath Ledger Film Festival - Saturday Events  (Read 39355 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Heath Ledger Film Festival - Saturday Events
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2008, 03:13:57 pm »
For those who want to watch and talk in "real time," Louise, BelAir and I are watching and are logged into Bettermost chat.

Join us!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 04:42:40 pm »
I just finished it --- that was one strange little crime drama!

And it sure looks like Heath grew quite a bit height wise from 1999 onward. If they filmed it the previous year then he must have been 18 or 19 during filming.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2008, 05:02:04 pm »
I think it's an interesting little movie.  a little bit o' this, a little bit o' that.

Heath is very young, very earnest...  as usual, you just want to hug him, tell him everything will be okay, and of course, laugh with him a little bit, too.

Spoiler...

So what do you think the scene on the bus (?), after he escapes in the rain, is all about?  Realizing that his brother is dead?  That Panda's gang killed him?  Or, do you think he's more upset about his own life?
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline oilgun

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2008, 05:06:58 pm »
Well I just finished it.  I was about a half hour late starting. Couldn't log into the live chat for some reason.  Anyway, I forgot how good this movie is!  Funny and violent, tight script, topless Heath. He is just adorable in it and I liked the chemistry he had with Rose Byrne.  Oh and  her skinny brother is so damn sexy!  I wonder what became of him., the actor I mean, lol! 

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2008, 05:14:46 pm »
the skinny brother? he had - what, 3 minutes of screen time?  you can really size them up quickly!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline BelAir

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2008, 05:19:01 pm »
Well I just finished it.  I was about a half hour late starting. Couldn't log into the live chat for some reason.  Anyway, I forgot how good this movie is!  Funny and violent, tight script, topless Heath. He is just adorable in it and I liked the chemistry he had with Rose Byrne.  Oh and  her skinny brother is so damn sexy!  I wonder what became of him., the actor I mean, lol! 

It is great!

what year did Ghost come out?  i thought of that movie during the scene with the brother at the end.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2008, 05:23:15 pm »
more random thoughts...

I was thinking during the movie that somehow maybe there was some foreshadowing for his role as the Joker?  bank robberies, violence, wielding guns...  etc.  The boxer scenes were also interesting - I don't tend to think of Heath as an athlete, but he was actually quite athletic... (jousting in Casanova, horse riding in many films, I imagine we will also see him doing quite athletic stunts in the Joker)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2008, 07:33:28 pm »
It is great!

what year did Ghost come out?  i thought of that movie during the scene with the brother at the end.

Ghost was 1990, so 9 years before this.

My DVD, unfortunately, had a lot of skips and scratches, so I felt like it was a disjointed viewing. I need to be totally focused on a movie and if I get distracted (for any reason), I have a hard time getting my attention back... (hm, this gives me more insight into my daughter's ADHD! Never thought of it that way).

That said, Heath was great but really seemed like a carbon copy (or dress rehearsal) of his acting in 10 Things I Hate About You, right down to the hairdo.

Black comedy is also not my best genre, either. Overall, I am glad I saw this but I would need to see it again to figure it all out...but I didn't like it enough to see it again. Oh well...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2008, 07:49:04 pm »
He sure is athletic - he played football (but then again most Australian males do, like Canadian males play hockey!) with his school, Guildford Grammar.

Offline BelAir

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2008, 09:05:59 pm »
Ghost was 1990, so 9 years before this.

My DVD, unfortunately, had a lot of skips and scratches, so I felt like it was a disjointed viewing. I need to be totally focused on a movie and if I get distracted (for any reason), I have a hard time getting my attention back... (hm, this gives me more insight into my daughter's ADHD! Never thought of it that way).

That said, Heath was great but really seemed like a carbon copy (or dress rehearsal) of his acting in 10 Things I Hate About You, right down to the hairdo.

Black comedy is also not my best genre, either. Overall, I am glad I saw this but I would need to see it again to figure it all out...but I didn't like it enough to see it again. Oh well...

L

I think Jimmy as a character is a lot more fleshed out than Heath's character in 10 Things.  In 10 Things, it's all about getting the girl...  I think there is more to Jimmy than 'getting the girl'...