Author Topic: Live Well, Live Long!  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Live Well, Live Long!
« on: March 28, 2009, 11:43:34 pm »
Love Well, Live Long!

Do you make conscious choices on a daily basis that are adding years to your life expectancy?

A UK study has identified the secrets to a long life - in theory.

Laughing for 15 minutes each day could add an extra 8 years to life expectancy according to the study by Norwich Union. Staying optimistic can add 9 years, while daily teeth flossing will add as much as 6 years. Those who regularly get at least 6 hours sleep each night can hope to live up to 5 years longer than poor sleepers.

"There are a number of steps people can take to give themselves the best chance of living longer," said Darren Dicks from Norwich Union.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Live Well, Live Long!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 11:49:34 pm »
I do some of those things on that list, but ultimately I just want to enjoy life and have a good time. :)

I figure no matter how much I floss my teeth or how much sleep I get, I could still slip down the stairs and break my neck later in the day. So, I try not to worry about things too much.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 11:55:51 pm »
I eat somewhat in a healthy way.  Much healthier that I used to.  I also exercise on a regular basis.

The genes seem to be in my favor as well.  Mom's parents were both in their high 80s when they died, dad's parents were both in their high 90s.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 12:37:36 am »
I chose optimistic, flossing and sleep and also ticked "Other." I eat a healthy diet and exercise daily. The health authorities here in Oz recommend that we should all eat 5 servings of vegetables and 3 servings of fruit each day, which I adhere to religiously. Fortunately, I love fruit and vegetables. I try to go for a walk each day and I also exercise on my elliptical bike every day without fail. I also take two 1000mg capsules of Omega-3 fish oil daily. From the label - "Fish oil is a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids, the essential fats required by the body which can contribute to the maintenance of healthy circulation, joint mobility, healthy skin and general wellbeing."  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:42:00 am »
I take the fish oil too Kerry, basically because I detest fish and so at least I can get the Omega 3 from the pills.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 07:28:39 pm »
I voted 'other'.

My healthy long life do-every-days?  Try to be happy.  To take pleasure in simple things and great contentment in the every day.

Coming home to a nice warm, clean home, with plenty of time to play with my cats, tasty food to eat, plenty to read, much to write or entertain with no one to bother me or tell me what to do.

I can find great joy in that.  I think that might help