Author Topic: Everyone has an accent....  (Read 22495 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Everyone has an accent....
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 10:49:06 pm »

Hmm, I'm inclined to think that if I went into a fast-food outlet and heard someone ordering a serving of "Fush 'nd Chups," it's most likely I'd be in New Zealand, not in Australia!   ;)   ;)

Unless, of course, I was at Bondi Beach in Sydney, where there are more Kiwis than Aussies, per head of population. I'd definitely hear "Fush 'nd Chups" there!   ;)   :laugh:.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 01:34:24 am »
I'll have to give you that one Kerry LOL. Two of my colleagues from work are leaving for Bondi beginning of March... seriously. Not meaning to hijack the thread but I can understand the pull for NZers to immigrate to Oz, but why do Tasmanians immigrate to NZ? 3 out of the 4 Aussies I know here are tazzies??

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 01:50:38 am »
Absolutely correct! David Beckham should never speak in public. It's embarrassing!  :-\

I like David Beckham's accent!! :D

I like David Beckham!! PERIOD!!!  He's cute and so is his accent! :)

Kerry, don't you be mean to poor David now, you hear me? I'll have to spank you with a wet noodle! >:(

;) ;)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 07:30:20 am »
I like David Beckham's accent!! :D

I like David Beckham!! PERIOD!!!  He's cute and so is his accent! :)

Kerry, don't you be mean to poor David now, you hear me? I'll have to spank you with a wet noodle! >:(

;) ;)

Promises, promises!  ;)   ;)   ;)   :laugh:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 07:36:06 am »
I'll have to give you that one Kerry LOL. Two of my colleagues from work are leaving for Bondi beginning of March... seriously. Not meaning to hijack the thread but I can understand the pull for NZers to immigrate to Oz, but why do Tasmanians immigrate to NZ? 3 out of the 4 Aussies I know here are tazzies??

I know why! Because New Zealand is such a breathtakingly beautiful country, that's why!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 07:40:49 am »
Some English accents are nice.....but.......is there anyone else out there that feels like I do about David Beckham........he looks so so sexy, and then he opens his mouth and its awful.

Me Kate. He,s as dense as fog he is. His football "skills" arn,t much better either.  ::)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 12:35:51 pm »
Can I ask you Aussies something on what's kind of a sensitive and sad topic but one I've always been curious about? Heath's accent. To me, his accent never sounded quite like what I think of as an Australian accent. If anything, it sounded a bit ... well, almost more British. At least, he didn't (sorry, I hate using past tense) sound quite like the Australians I've known in real life -- a boss and a guy I very briefly dated years ago -- or on TV or whatever.

Was it a matter of the part of Australia he came from? Or are there class differences in accents there? Or was his accent trained for acting? Or am I just hearing wrong with my uneducated ears?

I know that in the U.S., accents can vary not only by region but often by state or even, in some cases, what part of a city people are from. So maybe it's as simple as that. In any case, I've always wondered and I hope it's not too touch a subject for someone to address.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 12:48:17 pm »
Can I ask you Aussies something on what's kind of a sensitive and sad topic but one I've always been curious about? Heath's accent. To me, his accent never sounded quite like what I think of as an Australian accent. If anything, it sounded a bit ... well, almost more British. At least, he didn't (sorry, I hate using past tense) sound quite like the Australians I've known in real life -- a boss and a guy I very briefly dated years ago -- or on TV or whatever.

Was it a matter of the part of Australia he came from? Or are there class differences in accents there? Or was his accent trained for acting? Or am I just hearing wrong with my uneducated ears?

I know that in the U.S., accents can vary not only by region but often by state or even, in some cases, what part of a city people are from. So maybe it's as simple as that. In any case, I've always wondered and I hope it's not too touch a subject for someone to address.

I'd also be curious to learn more about Australian accents (regional dialects, etc.), since I know very little about that subject.

About Heath, I also agree that there were moments when he sounded British.  Sometimes his voice actually reminded me of Keith Richards (only sometimes though).  To me, Heath's voice seemed to change a bit from interview to interview... and I always sort of wondered if it had anything to do with particular roles he might be working on.  I wonder if altering his voice for certain parts carried over into his normal speech patterns from time to time.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 02:11:19 pm »
I absolutly cannot STAND Brummie accents and scousers accents. God they are so awful. Can,t understand a word they say. I don,t mind Irish accents and scots are ok, think of Billy Connolly.  :)

What are Brummie and Scousers

It tickles me when companies in the US use "someone with a British accent" on their answering service recordings because it "sounds elegant" when the specific accent they're using is very low-rent — cockney or something (I don't know the term; maybe that's Brummie or Scousers?).   ???  ::)

There are all kinds of different Southern accents.  People from coastal Virginia sound very "old-world" — the closest you'll find in the US to the Scottish accents from which they sprang.  And Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia and Texas accents sound very different from each other.  A friend of mine (who was from New Hampshire) said that when I left my native Tennessee and lived in the Florida panhandle for a while, my accent changed.

The most beautiful accent I ever heard was on this guy from Louisiana.  Somewhat similar to New Orleans but purer . . .  prettier.  OMG — just made mah lil' heart go pitty-pat . . .    :o

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 02:17:21 pm »
I think many of the people in Maine sound somewhat British too. Also to a lesser degree in Vermont and New Hampshire. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.