Author Topic: Anyone want another sweet 'cry'?  (Read 9472 times)

Offline juneaux

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Anyone want another sweet 'cry'?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 05:24:14 pm »
Anyone know the average price of pre-ordering the DVD?  Not that it matters...
Truth never damages a cause that is just.
~Mohandas Gandhi

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Ain't no reins on this one . . .
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006, 09:33:46 pm »
My local Borders is charging 29.95. Kind of a big gulp for my budget, but I guess I gotta swallow it, right? Iris
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "The heart has reasons that reason cannot know." -
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 02:46:25 pm »
This is one of my favourites...

"I know how the River feels..."

makes me cry....

hugs
Kea
"Within you I lose myself
Without you I find myself
Wanting to be lost again."
-Unknown

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 09:41:46 pm »
Hi everyone! I'm Courtney. I'm a refugee from IMDb, so I've mostly been in the Chez Tremblay forum, but I thought I'd venture out into the rest of the BetterMost neighborhood. (I already posted on the 'Introduce Yourself' thread.)

I usually have no problem crying. My friends make fun of me for my overactive tear glands. Usually it's just getting tears in my eyes really easily when I laugh, but I also get teary easily about emotional things (but I can hold them back if I want to). I haven't cried a single time in all the 17 times I've seen the movie. I feel like I want to, but tears just don't come. I don't know why, they just don't.

I've seen it with friends on two separate occasions, and with my mom once. They all thought it was "really good," but simply did not appreciate it on the same level I (and everyone else here) did, so I've seen it 13 times alone. I was lucky enough to see it with two others from our Chez Tremblay family who live in my area, and I really liked that. It just felt sort of peaceful to see it with people who understand. Seeing it alone is much better than seeing it with people who don't understand, but I really liked seeing it with people who do.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome you've given all of us from IMDb!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 11:30:47 pm »
Welcome, Courtney!  We're glad to have you.  Thanks for posting.  I think this is going to be a more dynamic place because the 'refugees'.

Wow...you've seen the movie 17 times!  Devoted.  I haven't had a good cry in my viewings either - more along the liness of some suppressed elephant trying to escape my stomach and lots of mental gyrations that won't subside.  The ride home for me has been the most emotional time...not crying again, but more in touch with myself - like finishing some 2 week yoga retreat (not that I've ever done that).

Like you, I've never found people I know in my personal life for whom the movie speaks.  And I've not seen it with any internet friends -I live in the middle of nowhere (we must work on that map) - but what a blessing to find this board!  My first thought was that I had found a safe home where I was understood.  Maybe I'll get the experience of seeing with some brokies one day?  I had this vision of a bunch of us in a bus (grateful dead style) touring second run movie houses years from now following Brokeback Mountain :-)

Welcome, again..thanks for being here.
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 02:51:27 am »
Thanks Lynne. Haha, 17 times is nothin' compared to some people....

I'm with you about the car ride home. I ALWAYS sing when I'm driving by myself (to CDs I won't mention by name for fear of total embarrassment), and on the way to the theatre is no exception. I usually do the ride home in silence though. Since getting the BBM soundtrack, sometimes I'll listen to that after a while, but definitely no singing.

I don't know where you live, but I suggest asking if anyone wants to join you in whatever city is nearest and just making a little trip (but not a fishing trip). There's bound to be some Brokies in most cities....

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 12:49:45 pm »
Hi everyone, I'm Clarissa, also one of the refugees.  I've seen the movie a couple more times thsn Courtney, and like others have said, I prefer going alone.  No one I've gone with has had a "worthy" enough response.  I also stopped telling my friends and family how often i've really seen it.  Only my online Brokie friends know.  And my husband - who is supportive.

My emotions during the movie can vary.  Since I know the film so well, I often pre-feel for the upcoming scene.  Like when Ennis hops around in the snow, instead of feeling merry at the cuteness, I now faster go to "Their world together is about to collapse," because I know his next words are, "What are you doin?" and that it's time to bring the sheep down off the mountain.

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Ain't no reins on this one . . .
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 03:56:34 pm »
Hi, and welcome, "refugees."  Good to see some new names up on this board.  I've been hanging in here for quite a while now, but have been giving the old boards  bit of a break since my last (13th) visit to BBM, its final viewing in the local theatre.  End of an era.  I still can't listen to any other music than the BBM sound track, and I've tried a time or two.  I've always been a weeper, and the feeling still comes on me, sometimes several times a day, in the middle of going whatever it is I'm doing . . . suddenly I am riding up with the sheep onto the mountain with the boys, and I just well all up again. Riding up into that paradise I so long for. I'm doing it right now as I write these lines.  Just can't quit it!
I must not want to.  What do you think?  Iris
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 10:34:35 pm »
Aww, Elle, me too! The most I've admitted to seeing it is 4 I think. I have a roommate here at school and she doesn't even know how many times exactly because I see it either on the weekend when she is at home, or when I go during the week I just don't say anything about where I'm going. She's a perfectly lovely girl and we get along really well, but she just doesn't get it.

Interesting that you say that Elle. I think sometimes I do that, where the whole thing is just sad because I know what's coming, but sometimes I can let myself just be in the moment and be happy when they're happy, laugh at the funny parts (which of course does NOT include when Alma sees the reunion kiss), etc.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 07:31:10 pm »
The movie closed last Thursday here so no more viewings for me at the theatre.  I also got in the mode of going alone because the 4-5 times I took someone their response wasn't compatible with what I was feeling.  For awhile I didn't admit to how many times I had seen the movie (19) to 'outsiders', then I decided to come 'out' about it...I figure the worst is that folks will think I'm peculiar... so what?  Courtney, you're right, though, that I should have looked up some other people in Nashville for at least one viewing.  Too much Ennis-isolationism.

Hi there, Clarissa, and welcome...I know what you mean by anticipating the feeling of the next scene.  Some places I do that include when Ennis collapses by the roadside before the wedding scene, Alma in bed turning off the light before the courtroom divorce scene, the last tent scene where Ennis is holding Jack that is just TOO fast before the morning confrontation scene.  I see myself listing these and I believe Ang Lee is doing this to us intentionally.  If you think about it, doesn't the wedding dialogue start before the wedding scene?  and the judge's 'Custody of the two minor children...' begins when we're still in the dark bedroom?  We are being manipulated by a master.

Hey there, Iris...I end my day with the soundtrack and start the next day with the soundtrack...it's a very good thing Mom likes Willie Nelson.   :)  I do not want to quit it...I just hope it doesn't quit me somehow.

We need to keep this Ladies' Corner hopping....I'm a bit overwhelmed by the traffic in the CT area so I'm neglecting my usual haunts just trying to keep up over there....I think I prefer the slow lane.

Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."