Author Topic: POLL: Where to donate money collected in Heath's memory  (Read 17623 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: POLL: Where to donate money collected in Heath's memory
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 12:03:27 am »
Thanks, Meryl, for editiing the poll.

I've changed my vote to:

ALAFA
LIFEbeat
David Wirrpanda Foundation

I do like the fact that DWF has an office in Perth, where Heath's family is. 

Offline roryennis

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 12:11:51 am »
Howdy Friends,
Here are my three votes:
ALAFA
David Wirrpanda Foundation
Ongoing Flower Fund
Jack Twist.
Ennis
Your folks just stopped at Ennis?
Del Mar
Nice to know ya Ennis Del Mar.

And so with that introduction Jack and Ennis are forever bound together like Adam & Eve and Romeo & Juliet.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 03:18:28 am »
I've been thinking about the flower tribute.

:-\  :-\

After having seen the intens and very private send off by Heath's family and friends at the beach and taking into account all the efforts his family went through to keep all the events of Saturday secret as much as possible, I'm wondering whether sending flowers in the future to his grave is a good idea...

I had the strong feeling that his family was making some sort of statement with the (classy) way they organised everything on Saturday. That Perth was 'their' Heath, their son, brother, friend. I thought it was good that we sent (or wanted to send) flowers on the day of the funeral, but in the future, I feel like his grave/final resting place/the ocean/the beach is his/their place.

I had the same feeling when I saw that clip from the BAFTA'S with Ennis saying 'why don't you just let me be?'. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm immensely grateful that his family let us have pictures of the ocean dip, which was hugely comforting and I wouldn't want to do anything that they might perceive as intrusive (too strong a word, but I can't think of another one right now).

I really don't mean to cause offence to anyone by saying this. If this post is not appropriate, let me know and I'll delete it.

I just had to get this off my chest.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

yb

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 03:39:04 am »
I've voted for the Variety Children's Charity because Heath obviously loved children very much.

As for the flower tribute, I agree with the suggestion to send it on Heath's birthday this year.  As for setting aside a fund for future tributes, I would prefer it to be collected on a year-to-year basis.  I don't know if this has been discussed or not, do we know if Heath's final resting place is a public cemetery or a private one?  If it's a private one, we may have problem sending flowers to it.

belbbmfan, I understand what you're saying about sending flowers in the future and it's not offensive at all.  But I would think Heath's family would understand that it is our way of showing appreciation and love for Heath, our doing it on Heath's anniversaries will only demonstrate to them that we have not forgotten Heath. 

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 10:33:40 am »
I understand what you are saying belbbmfan about the flowers although I don't really see this as something that would be considered as intrusive or offensive to his family. From what I could tell from what his father said he was very grateful to all those around the globe who offered tributes and supports. Like yb I think Heath's family would understand it is our way of showing appreciation and love for Heath. However, please do not think I am saying what you suggested as being offensive. I am just adding my thoughts. I think maybe that if this idea does not come from these funds those of us who see the flower idea as a good thing could get together and arrange this since it doesn't have to be a whole group thing. Personally, I do want to be a part of this ongoing tribute and I feel several others do as well.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2008, 12:15:34 pm »
Meryl,
Just out of curiosity... at what point will voting on this close?  I mean, how soon are we planning on moving forward with a donation (or two or three)?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2008, 12:55:14 pm »
Meryl,
Just out of curiosity... at what point will voting on this close?  I mean, how soon are we planning on moving forward with a donation (or two or three)?

If everyone who's voted so far has chosen three options, then around 30 have responded to the poll, leaving at least 14 more that can still respond (44 have contributed).  I'll leave it up til next Tuesday, the one-month anniversary of Heath's passing.  Maybe more folks will want to contribute, too.  After that, I'll narrow it down and put up another poll.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2008, 01:03:35 pm »
If we have a thousand dollars, can we donate, say, $250 each to four organizations? Might be a nice way to really spread the love around as much as possible.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2008, 05:00:04 pm »
I'll leave it up til next Tuesday, the one-month anniversary of Heath's passing. 

:(
Time flies, it's already three weeks today.  :'(

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 06:10:31 pm »
I understand what you are saying belbbmfan about the flowers although I don't really see this as something that would be considered as intrusive or offensive to his family. From what I could tell from what his father said he was very grateful to all those around the globe who offered tributes and supports. Like yb I think Heath's family would understand it is our way of showing appreciation and love for Heath. However, please do not think I am saying what you suggested as being offensive. I am just adding my thoughts. I think maybe that if this idea does not come from these funds those of us who see the flower idea as a good thing could get together and arrange this since it doesn't have to be a whole group thing. Personally, I do want to be a part of this ongoing tribute and I feel several others do as well.

I would also like to be involved.

Logistics could prove difficult, considering Heath's ashes may have been scattered, but I'm up for the challenge.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν