Author Topic: TOTW 04/08: Finest acting moments in BBM  (Read 18580 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
TOTW 04/08: Finest acting moments in BBM
« on: February 11, 2008, 08:37:30 am »

This week, we'll take another look at the movie from the outside perspective. There was a similar thread way back on IMDB, but I don't recall one here on BM.

To me, the topic has somehow a ring of 'back to the basics' and I think it's good to do this from time to time. See what's different now from our perception almost two years ago (in regard to the acting moments) and acknowledge what stayed the same. So while the direct comparison of our opinions isn't the main purpose of the thread, it may be a nice side effect.

Additionally, we have many residents who found this place over time and who weren't around to share their views back then. So just jump in, tell us what you think are the best examples of fine acting in a movie full of extraordinary performances.

The topic is not limited to the leads, it's about all actors involved in Brokeback. Your example may be a a specific facial expression, a significant change of voice, a gesture, posture or mannerism – whatever stuck with you.

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: TOTW 04/08: Finest acting moments in BBM
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 01:50:14 pm »
There are so many!  The first that springs to mind for me, happens during Ennis' meeting with Jack's Dad.  When John Twist talks about another fella moving up to Lightening Flat, Heath's slight, saddened smile disappears and his nostrils flare.  Fantastic. 

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 05:32:53 pm »
There are so many!  The first that springs to mind for me, happens during Ennis' meeting with Jack's Dad.  When John Twist talks about another fella moving up to Lightening Flat, Heath's slight, saddened smile disappears and his nostrils flare.  Fantastic. 

Yes,Sandy,you've "robbed" me my explanation¡ :D For me it's a superb piece of interpretation on the part of Heath.If the whole scene is really touching-this mother,who becomes a kind of Ennis accomplice¡-,seeing him smiling sadly when Old Twist speaks about Jack wanted to take his partner to the ranch-these Jack's crazy dreams,seems Ennis to think in this moment...-.And immediately after seeing change his expression by hearing about this fella,you feel the pain and the dissapointment,almost the jealousy in his face...
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline Dal

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 09:48:19 pm »
When Ennis is first looking at the shirts and gradually realizes what they are, over a few seconds as he handles them - first the sleeves etc.  Unbelievably subtle changes in expression and body attitude show what is going on in his mind.  But really, Heath's whole performance is unreal, it's not even acting.  I don't know what to call it!  He is not playing Ennis; he is Ennis.

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 12:35:06 am »
The meeting with Jack's parents at Lightning Flat is almost my favorite part of the entire movie. From beginning to end, there is so much pathos wrapped up in that short sequence.

When I first bought the DVD, I would torture myself by watching it over and over. Sometimes I would marvel at how (Heath's) Ennis, amused by old man Twist's initial statement (of Jack mentioning his name many times over the years) would smile shyly, his expression slowly changing to sadness and then deep regret. Ma Twist speaks up to break Twist's cruel stranglehold on Ennis' feelings by inviting Ennis to a brief reprieve in Jack's childhood room.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 12:54:23 am »
Heath Ledger on the pay phone talking to Lureen about Jack's death.

There are so many reasons why this is the moment when I knew that Heath Ledger was a star of the first magnitude.

How was Heath able to so completely understand what the experience is like to find out the truth about the death of the love of your life?

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 02:31:02 am »
The scene where Alma (Michelle Williams) looks out the door and sees Ennis and Jack embracing.

The reunion scene between the two boys is probably my favourite scene in the movie, but as much as I love seeing them together, the look on Alma's face when she opens the door makes me want to run and hide, with  guilt. Michelle Williams shows a face of shock and bewilderment, and then embarrassment and confusion when Ennis brings Jack up to meet her.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 04:29:13 am »
The embrace and kiss outside the DelMar Apt. It was Heath and Jakes first scene in the movie together and I got to see it happen in person.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 05:49:42 am »
The single finest acting moment, in my mind, has been mentioned by several already. It's the subtle change and the emotions expressed in Ennis's face when OMT says that bit about the "other fellow, the ranch neighbour". It's so subtle yet it's so clear that these words delivered a devastating and cruel blow to Ennis and he's fighting with everything he has to process this terrible news (and the spite with which they were said) and yet to hold on to some sort of stoic composure. Best Acting Moment Ever. Though also extremely difficult to watch, for that reason....

Runner-up IMO is the whole reunion scene between Ennis and Jack. I don't know how many times I've watched that, on the net, in the film... I never tire of it. It's my favourite film scene of all time. It shows everything that is between them.. the longing, the love, the passion, caution, joy, confusion, despair, relief, comfort... Dividing it up into still images proves the perfection.. every single image shows a nuanced yet eloquent new set of emotions on their faces, in their body language. (And it's totally hot - let's not forget.  :P )

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 06:44:59 am »
The single finest acting moment, in my mind, has been mentioned by several already. It's the subtle change and the emotions expressed in Ennis's face when OMT says that bit about the "other fellow, the ranch neighbour". It's so subtle yet it's so clear that these words delivered a devastating and cruel blow to Ennis and he's fighting with everything he has to process this terrible news (and the spite with which they were said) and yet to hold on to some sort of stoic composure. Best Acting Moment Ever. Though also extremely difficult to watch, for that reason....

Runner-up IMO is the whole reunion scene between Ennis and Jack. I don't know how many times I've watched that, on the net, in the film... I never tire of it. It's my favourite film scene of all time. It shows everything that is between them.. the longing, the love, the passion, caution, joy, confusion, despair, relief, comfort... Dividing it up into still images proves the perfection.. every single image shows a nuanced yet eloquent new set of emotions on their faces, in their body language. (And it's totally hot - let's not forget.  :P )

In the reunion scene it's amazing to see Jake/Jack's changes in his face since the very moment he embraces Ennis and while this one is pushing him to the wall; from joy to surprise,then almost fear and at the end pleasure and longing.All in a few seconds¡.And his face after Ennis kisses him,with his face between his hands,is a poetry of love and pain for all the good moments life - and themselves-has denied them for four years.These feelings,along with desire,makes a wonderful scene when Ennis takes Jack's hands from himself,when he realises where they're then,to caress him immediately after...and this rub with his noise,so cute¡.Really,seeing this is difficult to believe they were only friends. :)
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 08:55:44 am »
My favourite Jake scene is when Jack and Ennis say goodbye at the end of the summer.  Jack asks, quite calmly, whether or not Ennis will “do this again next summer?”.  He goes on to say, “I might be back” with a lift in his tone at the end, like a question.  When this line is delivered, Jake raises his eyebrows and to me it is more than simply encouraging Ennis, it is an attempt at persuading him. 

It’s all in Jake’s eyes.  When Ennis says, “see you around, huh?”, Jake takes a pause and says, “Right” and looks to the ground.  When he looks back up at Ennis, he looks bewildered and hurt.  His eyes are asking how Ennis can go back to his old life with Alma, how he can leave him as if what they had together was nothing.    To me, his eyes are pleading with Ennis.

Really,seeing this is difficult to believe they were only friends.

For me, it is the same in most of their scenes!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 10:10:43 am »
Yes, the moment OMT tells Ennis about the other fella. Ennis' reaction is truly perfectly captured by Heath.

Another example:
Jakes voice in the post-divorce scene. Gawd, it almost broke my heart.
I saw the movie dubbed in German twice before I saw it in English. In German, it is not half as touching as in English (although I think the dubbing speakers did a good job). It really was a revelation to see this scene with the original voices. The emotion Jake conveys with his voice in this scene is amazing. First Jack's excitement, and at the end "I'll see you next month then..."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 12:08:28 pm »
This is such a hard question to ask die-hard Brokies.  I suspect my reaction is like many folks here... my perception of the best acting moments shifts from time to time depending on my mood.

One of the extraordinary things about a lot of the acting in BBM, I think, is just how much rides on non-verbal acting.  So, some of the moments that just seem spot-on are silent.

For me, one of my favorite passages in BBM is the very beginning interaction between Ennis and Jack before Aguirre starts the dialogue in the movie.  There's so much going on between Ennis and Jack that creates interest even though it's silent.

Some of the great acting moments in the motel scene are the same.  The slight motion of the arms, the positioning of Jack's head, the little tear that forms in Ennis's eye towards the end and Jack becoming silent with his eyes closed... just gorgeous little subtle details.

Some other near-perfect moments to me include:

1) The scene where Jack gets Ennis to laugh and smile for the first time.  The "most I've spoke in a year" scene.  To me the eye contact and the expression on Jack's face as he's listening to Ennis open up is perfect.  This scene in particular reminds me of some of the best two-person plays out there.

2) The reunion kiss... This is such a pitch-perfect, palpably intense moment (again almost without dialogue).

3) The fight between Jack and Ennis at the lake.  The intensity of the nose-to-nose conflict when they're really having it out about Mexico is really wonderful.  Both Ennis's intensity in his threats and Jack not flinching or backing down even slightly.  Sometimes I don't think Jake gets enough credit in this scene for how good it is.  The "I did once" delivery just seems pitch-perfect to me too.

4) The Lightning Flat sequence as many folks have already pointed out.  The exchange between Ennis and OMT is so great.

There really are so many good moments, it's hard to choose.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 12:53:20 pm »
Wow. My "moment" is also when Ennis realizes there was "another fella." I nearly died the first time I saw that. It ripped my heart right out of my chest. Few among us have not felt that combination of pain, anger and nausea upon finding out there was someone else, and Heath captured it perfectly with subtle expression changes. I've honestly never seen an actor portray so much while not saying a word. The nuances in this scene alone should have won him the Oscar.

Also, when Cassie is tearing him a new one at the truckstop/diner (whatever it is) and he says "I'm sorry." Dear God. This was a totally broken man. You could tell at this moment that there was no fight left in him. He was done.

As someone else mentioned, the first goodbye. The hopeful, almost desperate look on Jack's face as he asks if Ennis will be back. A little OT, but every time someone I know says they're going to watch BBM for the first time, I always advise them to watch carefully, because there's one line about 40 minutes in that if you don't catch it (Ennis mentioning he left his shirt behind), you really won't get the last 15 minutes or so of the movie, let alone the end. And I still to this day believe that you don't fully "get" BBM until the third viewing. There's so much in it that doesn't whack you over the head--like the shirts--that it's nearly impossible to take it all in the first time.

Oh!! Jack's mother. When she says "you are welcome to go up there, if you want..." with a hand on his shoulder and a look of understanding and acceptance, and the way Ennis immediately picks up on it... his expression is so grateful and relieved, and as he silently acknowledges this unspoken pact, you can tell he knows there's a reason she's sending him up there. And as Ennis is standing at the door with her on the way out, the way he mouths "thank you for this" while gesturing down at the bag he's holding... again, I nearly died. Just amazing acting.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 02:19:31 pm »
There are so many!
I love the opening scenes when Ennis is standing at the trailer alone. He looks like a fidgety little boy.
When they are in the bar and They are talkin about rodeoing and Jack has his hat pushed back and has that cocked little grin.
One of my favorite scens in the whole Movie is when Ennisis in the creek and he looks up to see jack on the Mountain. The look of concern in his eyes, the way the sun is shining on his face, it's a beautiful scene.
Tene scene two when Ennis come into the tent and is all hunched down and Jack takes his hat and when Ennis finally lets go and his passion is released. You can just see him letting go.
I think Almas reaction at the reunion scene and when Ennis leaves for the fisihing trip is remarkable.
ANd in the Hotel when Jack asks Ennis what are we gonna do. You can see the storm clouds roll across his face.

FOr me the best, most heart wrenching scenes are when Jack comes up after hearing about the Divorce and the lake scene/Dozy Embrace. Jacks pain is so evident. The juxtaposition of happy Jack pulling up in the driveway to crying Jack leaving and Young sleepy Jack in the dozy embrace and old bitter Jack watching Ennis drive off.
Both of those men deserved oscars! The movie should have gotten best picture. What a shame. Crash is no where near the caliber of movie Brokeback Mountain is.
Ennis at the Twist house was also extrordinary but I can't all anymore than has been said.
The whole movie was superbly acted.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 02:40:36 pm »
Yes, as has been mentioned, it's impossible to choose from an entire movie full of superb acting moments - and as  Amanda noted, my impressions do tend to fluctuate, so if you asked me tomorrow other moments might stand out in my mind.

3) The fight between Jack and Ennis at the lake.  The intensity of the nose-to-nose conflict when they're really having it out about Mexico is really wonderful.  Both Ennis's intensity in his threats and Jack not flinching or backing down even slightly.  Sometimes I don't think Jake gets enough credit in this scene for how good it is. The "I did once" delivery just seems pitch-perfect to me too.
Amen. 

Wow. My "moment" is also when Ennis realizes there was "another fella." I nearly died the first time I saw that. It ripped my heart right out of my chest. Few among us have not felt that combination of pain, anger and nausea upon finding out there was someone else, and Heath captured it perfectly with subtle expression changes. I've honestly never seen an actor portray so much while not saying a word. The nuances in this scene alone should have won him the Oscar.
Amen again.   Beyond description.  And still unbelievable that he didn't. 

Oh!! Jack's mother. When she says "you are welcome to go up there, if you want..." with a hand on his shoulder and a look of understanding and acceptance, and the way Ennis immediately picks up on it... his expression is so grateful and relieved, and as he silently acknowledges this unspoken pact, you can tell he knows there's a reason she's sending him up there. And as Ennis is standing at the door with her on the way out, the way he mouths "thank you for this" while gesturing down at the bag he's holding... again, I nearly died. Just amazing acting.

Yes, even though I knew what was "up there" the first time I saw it, I was amazed at what he was able to wordlessly convey.

I could literally go scene by scene and pick out "perfect" acting moments by almost the entire cast.

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 04:12:23 pm »
The "I did once" delivery just seems pitch-perfect to me too.
Amen!
You could tell that was the top coming off the bottle!
All these years he had been holding on to the dream of a sweet life with Ennis and this is the point where he was letting go of it and he was none to happy about it!
Heartbreaking!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 07:33:02 pm »

I noticed this moment the very first time I saw BBM and every time since. That one short moment you can feel the affect that statement has on Ennis, both one of sadness and jealousy. A statement that somehow Ennis never ever wanted to hear.

Offline winterhug

• Don't Say Much
  • Wyoming!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 01:53:34 am »
When Ennis is first looking at the shirts and gradually realizes what they are, over a few seconds as he handles them - first the sleeves etc.  Unbelievably subtle changes in expression and body attitude show what is going on in his mind.  But really, Heath's whole performance is unreal, it's not even acting.  I don't know what to call it!  He is not playing Ennis; he is Ennis.

I agree totally! Heath IS Ennis in this film, there is no doubt about that. Another moment which stands out in my memory is the parting at the end of the first summer. Jack has driven off, Ennis is walking down the dusty street and ducks into an alley to convulse in grief and frustration at not being able to stay in/live with the best relationship of his life. His whole body speaks of this devastation which he gives voice to as someone walks by. This caliber of acting is what makes me feel that Heath IS Ennis.
To talk is one thing... to say something is another.

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 04:29:06 am »
Just after the reunion scene, Alma is at the window and watches them leave.  She attempts to wave to Ennis and gives up halfway through.  I think that the instinct to wave her man off kicked in, but she realised that he was no longer 'her' man and stopped.  His attention was no longer on her and I thought that this was superb.   

Offline Beckela

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • Colorful Colorado
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 08:06:47 am »
Yes, there are soooo many great moments! But I fell in love with Jack when Aguire rejects him the next summer. The subtle changes in Jake's face are astounding -- those eyes! My gawd! Seems like the very best moments are silent.
Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
  - Mark Twain

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 11:17:14 am »
Seems like the very best moments are silent.

So true!
That goes for life in general I think.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 12:20:40 pm »

The nuances in this scene alone should have won him the Oscar.

Also, when Cassie is tearing him a new one at the truckstop/diner (whatever it is) and he says "I'm sorry." Dear God. This was a totally broken man. You could tell at this moment that there was no fight left in him. He was done.

Ditto on the Ledger Oscar

I also saw how broken Ennis was, he was an emotional widow / widower even without Jack's death.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 03:53:21 pm »
One of my favorite acting moments is when Ennis is talking about his life - "the more than I've spoken" scene - when Ennis realizes Jack is looking at him and says "Whut" with that puzzled look in his eyes. This scene is open of the most open Ennis scenes that I know of. It is incredible how he begins to open up to Jack.

Offline SamChez

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 09:03:02 pm »
4 me, there is no "acting" in this movie - just honesty.

This from a former actor who sucked (thus former), so what do I know.

All examples cited are extraordinary.  Yet, every moment of this movie is so amazingly executed, it moves beyond "acting" into another category entirely.  2 cents.

Offline huntinbuddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 12:17:20 am »
Definitely agree with the scenes at the Twist house.  Not only Ledger and McRobbie, but Roberta Maxwell also.  Great performances.

Another that comes to mind for me is Ennis at the campfire after the reunion.....where he is explaining the demise of Earl to Jack.  This is good work also.

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 05:31:32 am »
One of my favorite acting moments is when Ennis is talking about his life - "the more than I've spoken" scene - when Ennis realizes Jack is looking at him and says "Whut" with that puzzled look in his eyes. This scene is open of the most open Ennis scenes that I know of. It is incredible how he begins to open up to Jack.

What I love about this scene is that he smiles without actually smiling?  He manages to look puzzled and amused, all with his eyes.   

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 07:53:23 am »
In honour of the day, MSN has compiled what they beleive are the 10 sexiest movie kisses of all time.

I surely do agree with them that the reunion kiss is on their list, though I don't agree with their no. 6 placement of my favourite movie kiss ever.....

Then again, 6 of the other kisses on their list are from the 1940's and 50's, so at least the reunion is up there with the big contemporary classics. I wonder whether Heath and Jake knew just how well they managed to nail that scene when they'd just made it.

http://movies.msn.com/new-on-dvd/feature-article/?news=299569

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 11:30:08 am »
In honour of the day, MSN has compiled what they beleive are the 10 sexiest movie kisses of all time.

I surely do agree with them that the reunion kiss is on their list, though I don't agree with their no. 6 placement of my favourite movie kiss ever.....

Then again, 6 of the other kisses on their list are from the 1940's and 50's, so at least the reunion is up there with the big contemporary classics. I wonder whether Heath and Jake knew just how well they managed to nail that scene when they'd just made it.

http://movies.msn.com/new-on-dvd/feature-article/?news=299569

That's great!  Thanks for posting this.  :)

Yes, I really do think the reunion kiss is one of the best acting moments.  It's interesting because (much like TS1) it's a moment of sort of explosive energy in such an otherwise quiet film.  Of course, the reunion kiss also stands out because it's such a moment of pure joy and relief.  The subtlty in facial expressions, etc. is just incredible.  The kissing scenes in TS2 are also just really lovely and just so intimate.

Does anyone have a clip of Jake accepting the "best kiss" award at the MTV Movie Awards?  Didn't he say something about the fact that both he and Heath were sort of hoping for the "best kiss" award while shooting it... of course, he was probably semi-joking based on the exact context of the award show.  And, do you all remember how much people were wondering and speculating about whether or not Jake and Heath would re-enact the kiss (as actors often to at the MTV Movie Awards)?

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 12:35:13 pm »
Jakes voice in the post-divorce scene. Gawd, it almost broke my heart.

This is the one scene I can't watch; usually just leave the room when I'm watching the film on DVD.

There are so many moments, but Ennis' last scene with his daughter is the one that stands out.

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 01:22:03 pm »
Of course, the reunion kiss also stands out because it's such a moment of pure joy and relief. 

I love when Ennis steps out of the house and says " Jack f***in' Twist": the pitch of Heath's voice is amazing.  As he works throughout the movie, his voice gets lower (to demonstrate age) but his voice in this scene is higher pitched than any other scene he is in.  He mingles Jack's name with laughter. 

I also love that when he sees Jack in this scene, he widens his arms (as if to envelope Jack) and then in his excitement, slaps the wall.  It's as if he is brimming over and has to do SOMETHING to contain himself.   

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 04:43:25 pm »

Does anyone have a clip of Jake accepting the "best kiss" award at the MTV Movie Awards?  Didn't he say something about the fact that both he and Heath were sort of hoping for the "best kiss" award while shooting it... of course, he was probably semi-joking based on the exact context of the award show.  And, do you all remember how much people were wondering and speculating about whether or not Jake and Heath would re-enact the kiss (as actors often to at the MTV Movie Awards)?

There's a clip down towards the end of this page: http://iheartjake.com/awardshows.htm
The intro is terrible, with the lamest never-ending joke *ever* and it's all horrible until Jake makes his acceptance speech, which is both gracious, humorous, and sincere. He says that it's a big deal they won, and actually manages to make a case for that in just a sentence or two. Very well done.

He does say that he told Heath "if they'd only win the MTV best kiss award after this, then it would've been worth it" or some such. But it's a joke in context of the show.

I remember the speculations and I always felt sure that NO WAY Heath would appear and recreate any kiss onstage. With his level of discomfort during such award show things - and that setting where everything is being poked fun at at presented in a shallow light... so different from what Heath managed to create with Ennis - no way. And I was right. But Jake did a good job accepting on both their behalfs, though he's keeping Justin Timberlake on arm's length so he was obvisouly concerned that others than Heath might have an idea of recreating the kiss.  ::)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 04:53:11 pm »
Thanks Mikaela!  :D

I'm also not surprised/ sort-of-happy that they didn't try to recreate it.  I just remember everyone wondering about it.

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2008, 06:58:13 pm »
Erm... this probably doesn't belong here, perhaps we should have a separate thread for "lists of "best this and that" which include Brokeback and Jack&Ennis" - but anyway, I was happy to see this, too: Entertainment Weekly's random-order list of "Pop Culture's Best Couples" - 26 true fictional lovers. This includes J&E, on a list which otherwise includes such varied couples as Romeo and Juliet, Rhett and Scarlett, Han Solo and Leia, Arwen and Aragorn, Angel and Buffy, Kermit and Ms. Piggy...  ::)

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/20411530.html

The reason why I'm happy BBM is on this kind of not-especially-serious list is of course that it confirms that Brokeback and J&E have indeed entered public consciousness and made its mark on culture to the extent where they remain and come to mind when film couples in love/best movie romance/best kiss etc. etc.  is concerned. So J&E once more land on such a list...  thereby reminding heaps of random gossip/entertainment lists readers about Brokeback. If they haven't already seen the film that might make them curious...and less "nervous"  ::) about watching it -  and at any rate this hammers home again and again that it's obviously proper and right to include a gay couple (or two or more) on such lists without any fuss whatsoever in that connection.

All thanks to two marvellously acted characters (to somehow salvage the on-topicness of this post.  ;) )

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 11:41:46 am »
Erm... this probably doesn't belong here, perhaps we should have a separate thread for "lists of "best this and that" which include Brokeback and Jack&Ennis" -

That's a great idea for a thread Mikaela!  It would certainly be a fun thread to construct... looking for examples of praise and awards for BBM.
:)

And, thanks for posting about this "best couples" list.  That is nice.  :)

Offline ennisjack

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »
Ok, Folks,

Since you have intrigued me beyond a reasonable doubt, I guess I'll just have to tell you my list of "Most Memorable" scenes from the movie. They are:

1) The camp fire scene where Ennis has just completed telling Jack his life story. They look at each other silently for a moment. I really loved the smirk on Heath's face as if he's trying to decide whether or not to laugh. And Jake looks as if he can't decide whether or not to cry. To me, that would be considered the first look of love the two shared though they didn't know it yet.

2) The way Jack's face fell during the post-divorce scene. You could actually watch the look of utter devastation cross his face.

3) When Ennis first finds the shirts. You could almost hear his heart not just break, but shatter to pieces. And the look Mrs. Twist gives him when he returns downstairs.

4) Ennis' face when he asks Junior if Kurt loves her and she replies that yes he does. To me that's when he actually reliazed just what he and Jack had had all those years and what he's lost. That is when he finally gives up and grieves properly.

5) The finaly scene (which goes with scene 4) when he says, "Jack, I swear.." I just can't really describe it as there is so much involved that is on a purely physical level.

Anyway, that's my top 5 scenes of all time.

EJ
If ya can't fix it, ya gotta stand it; If ya can't stand it, ya gotta fix it; If ya can't do either one then ya either need some serious help or yer screwed

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 01:51:52 pm »
4) Ennis' face when he asks Junior if Kurt loves her and she replies that yes he does. To me that's when he actually reliazed just what he and Jack had had all those years and what he's lost. That is when he finally gives up and grieves properly.

Ennisjack, just when I thought no one was going to mention this! Although there are no un-fine acting moments in BBM, I would put this at the top. I interpret it a little different than you -- I think he has already realized and is just seized at that moment by a surge of regret and grief. But the emotions that go over his face in that maybe one-second sequence are so heartbreaking -- and that Heath could convey that intense emotion, wordlessly and in profile, is so amazing.

Another scene like that is in TS1, when Ennis bolts up from the ground and you can see the gears turning in his mind just before he grabs Jack's head. His first instinct is to push Jack away, but then he realizes this is his one big chance, that it's what he really wants, and he decides to reject everything he's ever been taught and go for it. Another amazing moment of acting -- and again, dialogue-free and in profile.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 06:31:29 pm »
          Well I am going to mention one that has not been discussed.  It is however in my opinion a
very crucial, and pivotal part in the story.  I think she never received the credit that she was due.
I think it was because the rest of the cast was already nominated, they thought since her role was
a smaller one.  She didnt deserve the nomination.  Pity.

I have always thought that Lureen on the phone to Ennis was perfection.  From her red, cracked
fingernails, and deep red lipstick.  Her big jewelry, her starched shirt.  To her over bleached hair.
It all showed her deep pain.  How she never got the love of a man she so evidently loved, returned in kind. Always  knowing he didnt love her back. But never until now, the why of it.   The hitch in her voice, when she tried to say..."I know you, you are the fishin buddy or the huntin buddy.  Woulda got hold of you but Jack always kept his friends numbers in his
head."  Always making me wonder how many other (buddies) he had. 
        She started to tighten the edges of her mouth and all the held back tears she had never let
out started to coagulate in her eyes.  I felt so bad for her too. Even though Ennis was the primary focus of the pain that everyone was supposed to identify with.   She finally had to come face to face
with the heart rending truth.  Her beloved husband, who "drank a lot."   Had another love, and she
now knew who it was.  How long it had gone on, and all of it.  Her pain was the counter point to Ennis or Heath* however you choose to see it.  He was so much better because of her play with him.  Anne Hathaway will always be a wonderful actress, to me.  If she never does anything more than the teen fair of the Princess Diaries again.  Simply because of the wonderful way she portrayed Lureen.  The beautiful
bouncy and sparkling Texas princess, to the lonely wife, "Why is it men never want to dance with their wives?"  To the obviously distraught widow.  She played it all, with perfection.

Beautiful mind

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2008, 09:07:16 am »
I think Heath is amazing when he awakes in the tent after TS1.  He rubs his head as if to rub away his hangover, looks at Jack and you can see the memories of the night start to kick in.  After glancing at him, he moves his head to take in all of Jack and you can just see the thoughts flicking through his head!

The hitch in her voice

Yep, I agree.  I've always wondered if the hitch was used to demonstrate Lureen's attempt to not cry, or to stop her from saying something along the lines of "Ennis Nasty". Or indeed dealing with the conflicting emotions about whether or not to tell Ennis where half of Jack's ashes were.  She must have known that Ennis would try to get them and if he did get them from the Twists, she would have to live with the knowledge that her husband's lover had her husband, even in death. 

The way Jack's face fell during the post-divorce scene. You could actually watch the look of utter devastation cross his face.

And his subsequent attempt to regain control during the drive to Mexico.   

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2008, 10:34:45 am »
To me the whole movie in general needs to be recognized for the finest acting all round.

That said, to distinguish five moments that i think are the finest, from the ones that has the most inmpact on me. Also i will provide a moment i find the not so greatest acting.

1) Alma's Confrontation With Ennis - This scene work on so meant levels. The way Alma starts off trying to be cold, but slowly becomes so detached and emotionally hurt to the situation. Michele hits Alma at the right levels and the scene could not of been done better. It was like i was reading the book. She hit the right note. In my option she deseverd the Oscar. Apparently she did'nt get it cause she wasnt in the movie enough. But this scene here makes a lot of the movie.

2) Ennis And Jack's Tent Scene 2 - This scene is so heartbreaking. Absolutely one of the greatest scenes in history. The fact Jake and Heath were able to get so much passion and "love" in this scene shows the abilities as actors. The really broke barriers. Heath lying in Jake's arms and caressing him. Really fantastic...

3) Ennis - "Jack, I Swear" - Heath here is amazing, he allows the tears to linger, shows us that the character is forcing to keep his emotions in. Heath hits it at the right level and even though it's sometimes missed. Far one of the best moments in the film.

4) Laureen's Phone Call - Anne Hathaway is amazing here. As limited as here character was to play. She took what she had and made it work for her. She comes across as cold and heartless and there is not once ounce of melodrama. The was she does exactly what Heath does and forces her emotions in is amazing.

5) Jack's Surprise Visit To Ennis - I had to mention Jake. Here when he turns up under mixed singles. And is slowly broken down by Ennis is great. Than when he burst out in pain only briefly is wonderful.

And the worst - Alma's "Hello" To Jack - For some reason this really bugs me the way she delivers this line. It seems forced and fake. I know she's trying to be cold and stuff. But it really bugs me when i hear it.

There the moments that have the greatest impact on me.

What do you guys think?
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2008, 02:15:19 pm »
1) Alma's Confrontation With Ennis - This scene work on so meant levels. The way Alma starts off trying to be cold, but slowly becomes so detached and emotionally hurt to the situation. Michele hits Alma at the right levels and the scene could not of been done better. It was like i was reading the book. She hit the right note. In my option she deseverd the Oscar. Apparently she did'nt get it cause she wasnt in the movie enough. But this scene here makes a lot of the movie.

I didn't know until recently that this was the first scene that was shot. IMO that's an ongoing creative challenge for film actors: often doing scenes out of sequence but keeping the character development consistent when the scenes are viewed in sequence.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2008, 02:31:14 pm »

I think no one has mentioned this scene within a scene.  It is another silent and
very perfectly acted scenes.  I am speaking of the waiting for jack to arrive scene.  Where
Ennis is looking out the window and smoking that cigarette.  He is showing all his hope and
worry at the same time.  Will he come or won't he come.  Then when he falls asleep in the
chair he looks like he is completely fatigued with his angst about it.  Then he hears the
truck on the gravel.  He alights and walks to the window.  He looks out to see Jack coming
out of his truck.  He has the look of abject euphoria on his face.  He then takes off nearly
running to the stairs.  Im sure in his mine he did ,he made it, hes HERE!!!!  A perfect
prelude to the intense connection for the reunion.  Wonderful acting. wonderful direction.
Another perfect part in a great job by all.

Beautiful mind

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2008, 11:51:12 pm »
4 me, there is no "acting" in this movie - just honesty.

This from a former actor who sucked (thus former), so what do I know.

All examples cited are extraordinary.  Yet, every moment of this movie is so amazingly executed, it moves beyond "acting" into another category entirely.  2 cents.

I completely agree it definitely does go beyond "acting" and into another category which doesn't seem to have a name. Or at least I can't think of one.

Offline THE WINGS

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2008, 07:44:50 am »
I'm finally contributing to this excellent thread.  There are just so many fine acting moments in this great movie.... but the three that always stand out for me, are of course, "The Lake Scene", where Jack and Ennis finally "bare their souls" to each other, albeit in a somewhat confrontational manner.  Here I didn't see Heath and Jake, all I could see was Ennis and Jack, two people, very much in love with one another, yet at the same time terribly hurt, although unintennionally, by each other's actions with regard to their relationship over the previous twenty years.  An example of what I like to call of "acting that isn't".  So honest, and straight forward, yet not melodramatic, or over-the-top.

Then there is "The Phone Conversation", where Lureen plays it so cool and abiguous, just as in the short story, so that you are left with just as many questions as answers (SPOILER) as to the circumstances surrounding Jack's fate.

Finally, there comes to mind the "Closet Scene" where Ennis finds the two entwined shirts.  (Tears me to pieces everytime).

So much subtlety, and understatedness throughout the whole movie.  No wonder it deserved ALL the awards it received, and those that it didn't receive but should have: the BEST PICTURE OSCAR.  Enough said.

THE WINGS
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 05:35:58 pm by THE WINGS »

Offline optom3

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2008, 12:53:11 am »
So many to mention,but one of my favourites is in the motel scene when Jack says ,that ole brokeback got us good,Ennis says nothing but tenderly rubs/juggles Jacks arm.He is so unable to ever articulate his feelings ,yet I take this to be a form of agreement and aquiesence.I find myself hoping Jack picks up on this gesture.
I also love that Ennis goes to get soup as Jack has said he is fed up of beans,which at least can be taken as a caring gesture,particularly as he has previously said he does not eat soup.
Obviously the reunion scene when Ennis cannot settle,it reminds me of waiting for that first date to arrive.Not only that ,despite appearing completely distracted he obviously has his ears continually pricked awaiting the sound of the truck,
One more of many is when after the first tent scene he sees the sheep with its very heart and guts torn open and ripped away.I continually wonder if this is an analogy to the way Ennis is feeling.
Yet another when Ennis says this one aint got no reins and the look of despair on his face.It is almost as if he is trying to say how can I rein in my emotions.
I laso love the last seen of then together when despite Ennis saying he doesn't think he can stand it any longer,he is still grabbing on to Jacks arm for grim life.
When Ennis is in Jacks room and gently fingers the carved rodeo figurine.It just seems to represent yet another of Jacks shattered dreams.

The final bitter irony seems that unless I have it wrong,the only overture from Ennis to Jack is when he sends a postcard re the November trip.All the others are from Jack to Ennis,yet this is the one that delivered the tragic news.
well that is my condensed version although to be honest there are many many others,hence my complete obsession with the whole Brokeback thing
Lots more but I should I guess this reasonably concise.

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2008, 07:46:57 am »
. . . And as Ennis is standing at the door with her on the way out, the way he mouths "thank you for this" while gesturing down at the bag he's holding...

Some of my favorite moments in the movie are the one's where Ennis expresses his gratitude: 
*  In the "all rodeo cowboys are fuck ups" scene, Ennis says, "Thank you," after Jack pours whiskey into his cup. 
*  In the "You may be a sinner. . ." scene, Ennis says, "Thank you," after Jack hands him the bottle of whiskey. 
*  In the "condiments" scene, Ennis says, "Thanks," to Monroe. 
*  In the "As long as I don't have to sing" scene, Ennis says, "Thank you," to Alma when she reminds him to take his tackle box and net. 

Of the four I've listed, only the "Thanks" in the condiments scene is in the published script, and none are necessarily prominent.  I've always presumed that they were acting choices by Heath to show Ennis's politeness and thoughtfullness, and I admire how Heath was consistent with it.  To me, Ennis speaks so little that most anything he says is meaningful.  There was a time when I thought it contradicted Annie Proulx's description of Jack and Ennis in the story as being "rough-mannered."  I reconciled that someone could be rough-mannered but still polite, that their being rough-mannered meant they weren't genteel. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2008, 08:55:52 am »
Well I am going to mention one that has not been discussed.  It is however in my opinion a very crucial, and pivotal part in the story.  I think she never received the credit that she was due.  I think it was because the rest of the cast was already nominated, they thought since her role was a smaller one.  She didnt deserve the nomination.  Pity. . .

. . . I have always thought that Lureen on the phone to Ennis was perfection. . .

. . . If she never does anything more than the teen fair of the Princess Diaries again.  Simply because of the wonderful way she portrayed Lureen.  The beautiful bouncy and sparkling Texas princess, to the lonely wife, "Why is it men never want to dance with their wives?"  To the obviously distraught widow.  She played it all, with perfection. 

I join you in praising Anne Hathaway's performance in the movie, and I agree that she didn't get enough credit.  She showed that Lureen clearly loved Jack.  The way she adoringly looked at Jack while they were dancing after their rodeo wins.  The way she had to stifle the smile when Jack finally stood up to L.D. on Thanksgiving.  Her nasty bitterness then sad resignation at the benefit with Jack, Randall, and Lashawn.  And, of course, her phone conversation with Ennis. 

I remember reading some reviews stating that she gave a bad performance, that she was a caricature.  I also read some reviews that said Jake didn't hold up his end either.  I was totally dismissive of those reviews and critics, thinking they were crazy as hell.  Of course, everybody has a right to their opinion, but, when I love something as much as I do BbM, I ain't very objective myself.  I mean, I wouldn't have thought anything was off if everybody in BbM down to the actors who played Fayette Newsome and Jimbo the rodeo clown got nominated for an Oscar for their performances. 

I don't think I'm a good judge of acting.  There have been many times an actor's performance has been lauded as great acting, and all I see is someone whose speech and behavior was big, energized.  Kinda like how the squeaky wheel gets the grease, the non-subtle actor often gets the kudos.  Also, I think many people say so-and-so gave a good performance simply because they like the actor or character.  I like to believe I am at least somewhat aware of the difference between likability and acting, though the dividing line can be hard to determine. 

I tend to presume that the performance I see is what the director intended for me to see.  Unless an actor is inconsistent in their performance (for instance, an accent that comes and goes); looks like (s)he is reading from cue cards; or their manner, speech, or actions don't somehow seem to fit the overall piece, I go with the flow, figuring that's just how that character is supposed to be.  If I buy it within the context of the piece, it's good acting to me.  If it touches me in some way, that's great acting. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2008, 11:37:33 am »
Unless an actor is inconsistent in their performance (for instance, an accent that comes and goes); looks like (s)he is reading from cue cards; or their manner, speech, or actions don't somehow seem to fit the overall piece, I go with the flow, figuring that's just how that character is supposed to be.

I think I know what you mean, SKJ. If I'm watching someone who's not known as an incredibly talented actor ... like, let's say, Jennifer Lopez or Seth Green, for example, I STILL usually get caught up in the movie and think of that actor as actually being that character. They may not strike me as great, but they're not out-and-out bad. They have me convinced that they are the person they're playing.

But obviously they ARE talented, because they make it look easier than it actually is. I'm reminded of that when I watch some community-theater performances, or bad sitcoms. That's when the actors DO seem like they're reading scripts, and I have a constant awareness as I watch them that it's an actor playing a role, "acting," saying things for effect -- not the actual character being him or herself.

If I buy it within the context of the piece, it's good acting to me.  If it touches me in some way, that's great acting.

Yep, I'd say the same for myself.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2008, 05:56:32 pm »
This is a great thread.....so many scenes and I guess I'm like everyone else here, when I read these posts I can visualize exactly what everyone is saying, and a lot of the times, I'm reading things that I was thinking too, just didnt know exactly how to put it in words.

I was just reading the post about Anne Hathaway, and visualizing the dance scene after the rodeo, when they first met.....Jack actually changes his character here, we see him as unsure, a little embarrassed,a bit overwhelmed by the situation he is in, and he is acutally putting on an act that this is normal for him, but he seems uncomfortable,even a little scared, yet, willing to see where it takes him. It shows the difference in how he is when he is with a woman, so out of place, whereas he seems so sure of himself with men. He's doing one thing and thinking another, and we hear the song "Nobodys Gonna Love You Like Me" and WE know what he is thinking...its like hes thinking, "well, Im not getting the love I need from Ennis, or having much luck with any man, even if this is not what I want, she is here, and it feels good that someone at least wants me"....

Oh yes, the scene where Ennis is waiting for Jack to arrive.....I remember the first time I saw the film, I was sitting there thinking "now what is gonna happen here when they meet up again"..."are they gonna act like Brokeback never happened?, just act like buddies?" and I guess that comes from the way Ennis was acting, so fidgety, and uncomfortable, even to the point that he may have even been getting bored and frustrated from having to wait all day for Jack...sitting back and closing his eyes, like he had come to the point of "well, I dont give a dam".......the frustration of the day is not only felt by Ennis but by us watching the movie, waiting, waiting to see what happens..........and then that smile, that wonderful wonderful smile on Ennis's face when he sees him, and then I think we know whats gonna happen before it does......So then, its WE know, Ennis knows, and Jack doesnt.....until that grasping embrace, that hard aching kiss and then the look from Jack, and finally, finally, WE all are there, chests pounding, feeling the presssures of their bodies andl lips pressing into each others, hands grasping and holding each other so dam hard, like nothing else exists......OMG has there ever been a scene with so many emotions.

I guess thats what the movie does all the way through, keeps us thinking, keeps us guessing, we are all making our own opinions of what is going on.

And that is still happening today, two years later......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline samwise_fan1965

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2008, 12:48:31 am »
I have to say that a couple of scenes stick out for me. But during the reunion camping trip when Ennis sends up that little prayer is my favorite. When he smiles toward the sky, he looks so very happy. It is only one of two scenes where I think he actually looks like that.
--samwise

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2008, 04:27:53 am »
Oh yes, the scene where Ennis is waiting for Jack to arrive.....I remember the first time I saw the film, I was sitting there thinking "now what is gonna happen here when they meet up again"..."are they gonna act like Brokeback never happened?, just act like buddies?" and I guess that comes from the way Ennis was acting, so fidgety, and uncomfortable, even to the point that he may have even been getting bored and frustrated from having to wait all day for Jack...sitting back and closing his eyes, like he had come to the point of "well, I dont give a dam".......the frustration of the day is not only felt by Ennis but by us watching the movie, waiting, waiting to see what happens..........and then that smile, that wonderful wonderful smile on Ennis's face when he sees him, and then I think we know whats gonna happen before it does......So then, its WE know, Ennis knows, and Jack doesnt.....until that grasping embrace, that hard aching kiss and then the look from Jack, and finally, finally, WE all are there, chests pounding, feeling the presssures of their bodies andl lips pressing into each others, hands grasping and holding each other so dam hard, like nothing else exists......OMG has there ever been a scene with so many emotions.

Katie, I'm at work and my chest is pounding! Your description is wonderful and you have absolutely brightened up my day.  I agree that this scene works perfectly. 

:-*

Offline optom3

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2008, 03:06:09 pm »
One other scene I love,whilst it simultaneously breaks my heart, is when they are sat round the camp fire.They have been talking of who else they have been seeing ,and then silence,followed by Jack saying,'tell you what truth is,sometimes I miss you so bad I can hardly stand it"
I so ache for Ennis to say something,anything,that would let Jack know he feels the same.

We the audience are just left with the deathly silence, and a million things left unsaid. Jack can hardly stand the pain, and for Ennis ,it is as hard as always to articulate what he feels.All we get is 'the look"

The only thing that makes it bearable, for me at least,is when the film then cuts to the two of them in the tent,with Ennis wrapped round Jack.A moment I love,because of its pure simplicity.One single shot that tells such a tale. In sleep we see the true love that Ennis has for Jack. It is almost childlike in its portrayal. The way a mother curls round her child,simultaneously,loving and protecting it.
Also as someone has mentioned previously, metaphorically,protecting the back of the person you love. Like so much of the film, a brief moment,which manages to convey so much more.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2008, 03:29:03 pm »
One other scene I love,whilst it simultaneously breaks my heart, is when they are sat round the camp fire.They have been talking of who else they have been seeing ,and then silence,followed by Jack saying,'tell you what truth is,sometimes I miss you so bad I can hardly stand it"
I so ache for Ennis to say something,anything,that would let Jack know he feels the same.

We the audience are just left with the deathly silence, and a million things left unsaid. Jack can hardly stand the pain, and for Ennis ,it is as hard as always to articulate what he feels.All we get is 'the look"

The only thing that makes it bearable, for me at least,is when the film then cuts to the two of them in the tent,with Ennis wrapped round Jack.A moment I love,because of its pure simplicity.One single shot that tells such a tale. In sleep we see the true love that Ennis has for Jack. It is almost childlike in its portrayal. The way a mother curls round her child,simultaneously,loving and protecting it.
Also as someone has mentioned previously, metaphorically,protecting the back of the person you love. Like so much of the film, a brief moment,which manages to convey so much more.

Yes I totally agree with all that. I bet Jake misses Heath so much he can hardly stand it now.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2008, 03:32:56 pm »

I wholeheartedly agree about Michelle. I remember the look on on Alma's face when Ennis takes off for one of his trips and he almost forget his creel case. The way Alma is first taking about the opening at the power company, trying to ignore what's going on around her. And the bitterness and anger in her voice as she says 'aren't you forgetting something?'
And then after Ennis leaves, the look on her face, the pain and sadness, but also the resignation, are indescribable...

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2008, 05:51:53 pm »

I think this is beautifully acted.  I love the way Jake builds up to it.  His breathing speeds up and he says "tell you what..", pauses, then says "truth is..", and once again pauses. It's as if he's trying a couple of times to put it into words.  When he goes on with "sometimes..." the change in speed of speech really is marvellous.  It shows his NEED to say it, but also his uncertainty in doing so.  Jack was unsure as to whether or not he should say it but knew he had to.