Author Topic: I wish i knew how to quit you surrounded by 2 tender Ennis moments ?  (Read 3186 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
 I apologise if this has been discussed before,but I am so new to this site.
Every time I watch the film I am struck by the final "fishing" trip.The last we see of the two in the tent is with Ennis wrapped round Jack,which I would construe as a very loving/comfortable moment.They are both asleep and normally sleeping in such a way,i.e wrapped round each other, indicates deep love for your partner.Together even in sleep.
Then follows the harrowing ,I wish I knew how to quit you scene.This scene culminates in Jack reminiscing about a time when long ago Ennis comes behind him and wraps his arms round him,A moment he remembers as almost perfect.So at either side of the I quit you scene ,we witness a rare moment of Ennis enfolding Jack.
In both scenes Jack has his back to Ennis and is being cradled from behind.In the 1st long ago remembered scene, Jack is described as if he is almost asleep on his feet,in the second he literally is asleep.
It always moves me that  2 of the  most tender moments from Ennis surround such a harrowing scene.I keep thinking that Ennis has found peace with Jack (hence the last tent shot) and that is why he cannot tell Jack of the cancelled August meeting untill the last moment.
Is it as hard for him to miss the August trip as it is for Jack? In real life do we not always postpone till the last minute,things we can hardly bear ourselves?Instead hanging onto the moment for as long as possible.
The other thing that always upsets me is,following on from both the Ennis leaving scenes,( ie the remembered scene and then when the film cuts back to the present)it is Jack who looks on painfully.Ennis never looks back on either occasion.Can it be it is just too painful for him?
Well just some of my obsessive Brokeback ramblings.But intersesting that Jacks' moment of undiluted pleasure is the silent embrace he recalls from long ago on Brokeback,and yet unbeknown to him(i think) that is exactly how Ennis has held him on what will later prove to be their final night.
Maybe I am just an old romantic and want to glean some comfort from such a harrowing scene.If I am completely nuts feel free to tell me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:36:50 am by optom3 »

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: I wish i knew how to quit you surrounded by 2 tender Ennis moments ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 01:46:43 pm »
I am so new to this site.

Hi there! Nice to meet you!

In both scenes Jack has his back to Ennis and is being cradled from behind.

To hold from behind in these two particular scenes I think shows love but also Ennis protecting and shielding Jack, watching his back when he's vulnerable, when he's sleeping.  Ennis protected Jack from society by not being with him, but by doing so Jack ended up more hurt than ever.

Maybe I am just an old romantic and want to glean some comfort from such a harrowing scene.If I am completely nuts feel free to tell me.

You're among friends here-I came to Bettermost to find comfort.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 02:38:33 pm »
What a different but very astute insight.
I never thought of the old adage ,to protect someones back.I just love that analogy. It also appeals to my romantic side. It is a source of wonder to me,how many different interpretations there can be of such small scenes.I just love yours.I always got the love angle,but the other aspect of protection never crossed my mind.

I too came here to find comfort for many reasons ,and have not been disappointed. Each post I read reveals something new to me.Which in itself is a revelation ,as I thought I had completely dissected and analysed every aspect of both film and book.

I suppose it confirms how truly individual each human really is.Long may that diversity continue!!!!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:57:24 pm »
Bienvenue welcome optom3... tell us about you as you like.

Guess Ennis protects Jack's back, as you say!

And this will forecast something?

Like Jack's death?

Like still Ennis wants to protect Jack later on...

Hugs!!