Author Topic: TOTW 04/08: Finest acting moments in BBM  (Read 18478 times)

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: TOTW 04/08: Finest acting moments in BBM
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 08:55:44 am »
My favourite Jake scene is when Jack and Ennis say goodbye at the end of the summer.  Jack asks, quite calmly, whether or not Ennis will “do this again next summer?”.  He goes on to say, “I might be back” with a lift in his tone at the end, like a question.  When this line is delivered, Jake raises his eyebrows and to me it is more than simply encouraging Ennis, it is an attempt at persuading him. 

It’s all in Jake’s eyes.  When Ennis says, “see you around, huh?”, Jake takes a pause and says, “Right” and looks to the ground.  When he looks back up at Ennis, he looks bewildered and hurt.  His eyes are asking how Ennis can go back to his old life with Alma, how he can leave him as if what they had together was nothing.    To me, his eyes are pleading with Ennis.

Really,seeing this is difficult to believe they were only friends.

For me, it is the same in most of their scenes!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 10:10:43 am »
Yes, the moment OMT tells Ennis about the other fella. Ennis' reaction is truly perfectly captured by Heath.

Another example:
Jakes voice in the post-divorce scene. Gawd, it almost broke my heart.
I saw the movie dubbed in German twice before I saw it in English. In German, it is not half as touching as in English (although I think the dubbing speakers did a good job). It really was a revelation to see this scene with the original voices. The emotion Jake conveys with his voice in this scene is amazing. First Jack's excitement, and at the end "I'll see you next month then..."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 12:08:28 pm »
This is such a hard question to ask die-hard Brokies.  I suspect my reaction is like many folks here... my perception of the best acting moments shifts from time to time depending on my mood.

One of the extraordinary things about a lot of the acting in BBM, I think, is just how much rides on non-verbal acting.  So, some of the moments that just seem spot-on are silent.

For me, one of my favorite passages in BBM is the very beginning interaction between Ennis and Jack before Aguirre starts the dialogue in the movie.  There's so much going on between Ennis and Jack that creates interest even though it's silent.

Some of the great acting moments in the motel scene are the same.  The slight motion of the arms, the positioning of Jack's head, the little tear that forms in Ennis's eye towards the end and Jack becoming silent with his eyes closed... just gorgeous little subtle details.

Some other near-perfect moments to me include:

1) The scene where Jack gets Ennis to laugh and smile for the first time.  The "most I've spoke in a year" scene.  To me the eye contact and the expression on Jack's face as he's listening to Ennis open up is perfect.  This scene in particular reminds me of some of the best two-person plays out there.

2) The reunion kiss... This is such a pitch-perfect, palpably intense moment (again almost without dialogue).

3) The fight between Jack and Ennis at the lake.  The intensity of the nose-to-nose conflict when they're really having it out about Mexico is really wonderful.  Both Ennis's intensity in his threats and Jack not flinching or backing down even slightly.  Sometimes I don't think Jake gets enough credit in this scene for how good it is.  The "I did once" delivery just seems pitch-perfect to me too.

4) The Lightning Flat sequence as many folks have already pointed out.  The exchange between Ennis and OMT is so great.

There really are so many good moments, it's hard to choose.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 12:53:20 pm »
Wow. My "moment" is also when Ennis realizes there was "another fella." I nearly died the first time I saw that. It ripped my heart right out of my chest. Few among us have not felt that combination of pain, anger and nausea upon finding out there was someone else, and Heath captured it perfectly with subtle expression changes. I've honestly never seen an actor portray so much while not saying a word. The nuances in this scene alone should have won him the Oscar.

Also, when Cassie is tearing him a new one at the truckstop/diner (whatever it is) and he says "I'm sorry." Dear God. This was a totally broken man. You could tell at this moment that there was no fight left in him. He was done.

As someone else mentioned, the first goodbye. The hopeful, almost desperate look on Jack's face as he asks if Ennis will be back. A little OT, but every time someone I know says they're going to watch BBM for the first time, I always advise them to watch carefully, because there's one line about 40 minutes in that if you don't catch it (Ennis mentioning he left his shirt behind), you really won't get the last 15 minutes or so of the movie, let alone the end. And I still to this day believe that you don't fully "get" BBM until the third viewing. There's so much in it that doesn't whack you over the head--like the shirts--that it's nearly impossible to take it all in the first time.

Oh!! Jack's mother. When she says "you are welcome to go up there, if you want..." with a hand on his shoulder and a look of understanding and acceptance, and the way Ennis immediately picks up on it... his expression is so grateful and relieved, and as he silently acknowledges this unspoken pact, you can tell he knows there's a reason she's sending him up there. And as Ennis is standing at the door with her on the way out, the way he mouths "thank you for this" while gesturing down at the bag he's holding... again, I nearly died. Just amazing acting.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 02:19:31 pm »
There are so many!
I love the opening scenes when Ennis is standing at the trailer alone. He looks like a fidgety little boy.
When they are in the bar and They are talkin about rodeoing and Jack has his hat pushed back and has that cocked little grin.
One of my favorite scens in the whole Movie is when Ennisis in the creek and he looks up to see jack on the Mountain. The look of concern in his eyes, the way the sun is shining on his face, it's a beautiful scene.
Tene scene two when Ennis come into the tent and is all hunched down and Jack takes his hat and when Ennis finally lets go and his passion is released. You can just see him letting go.
I think Almas reaction at the reunion scene and when Ennis leaves for the fisihing trip is remarkable.
ANd in the Hotel when Jack asks Ennis what are we gonna do. You can see the storm clouds roll across his face.

FOr me the best, most heart wrenching scenes are when Jack comes up after hearing about the Divorce and the lake scene/Dozy Embrace. Jacks pain is so evident. The juxtaposition of happy Jack pulling up in the driveway to crying Jack leaving and Young sleepy Jack in the dozy embrace and old bitter Jack watching Ennis drive off.
Both of those men deserved oscars! The movie should have gotten best picture. What a shame. Crash is no where near the caliber of movie Brokeback Mountain is.
Ennis at the Twist house was also extrordinary but I can't all anymore than has been said.
The whole movie was superbly acted.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 02:40:36 pm »
Yes, as has been mentioned, it's impossible to choose from an entire movie full of superb acting moments - and as  Amanda noted, my impressions do tend to fluctuate, so if you asked me tomorrow other moments might stand out in my mind.

3) The fight between Jack and Ennis at the lake.  The intensity of the nose-to-nose conflict when they're really having it out about Mexico is really wonderful.  Both Ennis's intensity in his threats and Jack not flinching or backing down even slightly.  Sometimes I don't think Jake gets enough credit in this scene for how good it is. The "I did once" delivery just seems pitch-perfect to me too.
Amen. 

Wow. My "moment" is also when Ennis realizes there was "another fella." I nearly died the first time I saw that. It ripped my heart right out of my chest. Few among us have not felt that combination of pain, anger and nausea upon finding out there was someone else, and Heath captured it perfectly with subtle expression changes. I've honestly never seen an actor portray so much while not saying a word. The nuances in this scene alone should have won him the Oscar.
Amen again.   Beyond description.  And still unbelievable that he didn't. 

Oh!! Jack's mother. When she says "you are welcome to go up there, if you want..." with a hand on his shoulder and a look of understanding and acceptance, and the way Ennis immediately picks up on it... his expression is so grateful and relieved, and as he silently acknowledges this unspoken pact, you can tell he knows there's a reason she's sending him up there. And as Ennis is standing at the door with her on the way out, the way he mouths "thank you for this" while gesturing down at the bag he's holding... again, I nearly died. Just amazing acting.

Yes, even though I knew what was "up there" the first time I saw it, I was amazed at what he was able to wordlessly convey.

I could literally go scene by scene and pick out "perfect" acting moments by almost the entire cast.

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 04:12:23 pm »
The "I did once" delivery just seems pitch-perfect to me too.
Amen!
You could tell that was the top coming off the bottle!
All these years he had been holding on to the dream of a sweet life with Ennis and this is the point where he was letting go of it and he was none to happy about it!
Heartbreaking!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 07:33:02 pm »
There are so many!  The first that springs to mind for me, happens during Ennis' meeting with Jack's Dad.  When John Twist talks about another fella moving up to Lightening Flat, Heath's slight, saddened smile disappears and his nostrils flare.  Fantastic. 

I noticed this moment the very first time I saw BBM and every time since. That one short moment you can feel the affect that statement has on Ennis, both one of sadness and jealousy. A statement that somehow Ennis never ever wanted to hear.

Offline winterhug

• Don't Say Much
  • Wyoming!
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 01:53:34 am »
When Ennis is first looking at the shirts and gradually realizes what they are, over a few seconds as he handles them - first the sleeves etc.  Unbelievably subtle changes in expression and body attitude show what is going on in his mind.  But really, Heath's whole performance is unreal, it's not even acting.  I don't know what to call it!  He is not playing Ennis; he is Ennis.

I agree totally! Heath IS Ennis in this film, there is no doubt about that. Another moment which stands out in my memory is the parting at the end of the first summer. Jack has driven off, Ennis is walking down the dusty street and ducks into an alley to convulse in grief and frustration at not being able to stay in/live with the best relationship of his life. His whole body speaks of this devastation which he gives voice to as someone walks by. This caliber of acting is what makes me feel that Heath IS Ennis.
To talk is one thing... to say something is another.

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 04:29:06 am »
Just after the reunion scene, Alma is at the window and watches them leave.  She attempts to wave to Ennis and gives up halfway through.  I think that the instinct to wave her man off kicked in, but she realised that he was no longer 'her' man and stopped.  His attention was no longer on her and I thought that this was superb.