Author Topic: TOTW 04/08: Finest acting moments in BBM  (Read 18483 times)

Marge_Innavera

Re: TOTW 04/08: Finest acting moments in BBM
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2008, 02:15:19 pm »
1) Alma's Confrontation With Ennis - This scene work on so meant levels. The way Alma starts off trying to be cold, but slowly becomes so detached and emotionally hurt to the situation. Michele hits Alma at the right levels and the scene could not of been done better. It was like i was reading the book. She hit the right note. In my option she deseverd the Oscar. Apparently she did'nt get it cause she wasnt in the movie enough. But this scene here makes a lot of the movie.

I didn't know until recently that this was the first scene that was shot. IMO that's an ongoing creative challenge for film actors: often doing scenes out of sequence but keeping the character development consistent when the scenes are viewed in sequence.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2008, 02:31:14 pm »

I think no one has mentioned this scene within a scene.  It is another silent and
very perfectly acted scenes.  I am speaking of the waiting for jack to arrive scene.  Where
Ennis is looking out the window and smoking that cigarette.  He is showing all his hope and
worry at the same time.  Will he come or won't he come.  Then when he falls asleep in the
chair he looks like he is completely fatigued with his angst about it.  Then he hears the
truck on the gravel.  He alights and walks to the window.  He looks out to see Jack coming
out of his truck.  He has the look of abject euphoria on his face.  He then takes off nearly
running to the stairs.  Im sure in his mine he did ,he made it, hes HERE!!!!  A perfect
prelude to the intense connection for the reunion.  Wonderful acting. wonderful direction.
Another perfect part in a great job by all.

Beautiful mind

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2008, 11:51:12 pm »
4 me, there is no "acting" in this movie - just honesty.

This from a former actor who sucked (thus former), so what do I know.

All examples cited are extraordinary.  Yet, every moment of this movie is so amazingly executed, it moves beyond "acting" into another category entirely.  2 cents.

I completely agree it definitely does go beyond "acting" and into another category which doesn't seem to have a name. Or at least I can't think of one.

Offline THE WINGS

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2008, 07:44:50 am »
I'm finally contributing to this excellent thread.  There are just so many fine acting moments in this great movie.... but the three that always stand out for me, are of course, "The Lake Scene", where Jack and Ennis finally "bare their souls" to each other, albeit in a somewhat confrontational manner.  Here I didn't see Heath and Jake, all I could see was Ennis and Jack, two people, very much in love with one another, yet at the same time terribly hurt, although unintennionally, by each other's actions with regard to their relationship over the previous twenty years.  An example of what I like to call of "acting that isn't".  So honest, and straight forward, yet not melodramatic, or over-the-top.

Then there is "The Phone Conversation", where Lureen plays it so cool and abiguous, just as in the short story, so that you are left with just as many questions as answers (SPOILER) as to the circumstances surrounding Jack's fate.

Finally, there comes to mind the "Closet Scene" where Ennis finds the two entwined shirts.  (Tears me to pieces everytime).

So much subtlety, and understatedness throughout the whole movie.  No wonder it deserved ALL the awards it received, and those that it didn't receive but should have: the BEST PICTURE OSCAR.  Enough said.

THE WINGS
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 05:35:58 pm by THE WINGS »

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2008, 12:53:11 am »
So many to mention,but one of my favourites is in the motel scene when Jack says ,that ole brokeback got us good,Ennis says nothing but tenderly rubs/juggles Jacks arm.He is so unable to ever articulate his feelings ,yet I take this to be a form of agreement and aquiesence.I find myself hoping Jack picks up on this gesture.
I also love that Ennis goes to get soup as Jack has said he is fed up of beans,which at least can be taken as a caring gesture,particularly as he has previously said he does not eat soup.
Obviously the reunion scene when Ennis cannot settle,it reminds me of waiting for that first date to arrive.Not only that ,despite appearing completely distracted he obviously has his ears continually pricked awaiting the sound of the truck,
One more of many is when after the first tent scene he sees the sheep with its very heart and guts torn open and ripped away.I continually wonder if this is an analogy to the way Ennis is feeling.
Yet another when Ennis says this one aint got no reins and the look of despair on his face.It is almost as if he is trying to say how can I rein in my emotions.
I laso love the last seen of then together when despite Ennis saying he doesn't think he can stand it any longer,he is still grabbing on to Jacks arm for grim life.
When Ennis is in Jacks room and gently fingers the carved rodeo figurine.It just seems to represent yet another of Jacks shattered dreams.

The final bitter irony seems that unless I have it wrong,the only overture from Ennis to Jack is when he sends a postcard re the November trip.All the others are from Jack to Ennis,yet this is the one that delivered the tragic news.
well that is my condensed version although to be honest there are many many others,hence my complete obsession with the whole Brokeback thing
Lots more but I should I guess this reasonably concise.

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2008, 07:46:57 am »
. . . And as Ennis is standing at the door with her on the way out, the way he mouths "thank you for this" while gesturing down at the bag he's holding...

Some of my favorite moments in the movie are the one's where Ennis expresses his gratitude: 
*  In the "all rodeo cowboys are fuck ups" scene, Ennis says, "Thank you," after Jack pours whiskey into his cup. 
*  In the "You may be a sinner. . ." scene, Ennis says, "Thank you," after Jack hands him the bottle of whiskey. 
*  In the "condiments" scene, Ennis says, "Thanks," to Monroe. 
*  In the "As long as I don't have to sing" scene, Ennis says, "Thank you," to Alma when she reminds him to take his tackle box and net. 

Of the four I've listed, only the "Thanks" in the condiments scene is in the published script, and none are necessarily prominent.  I've always presumed that they were acting choices by Heath to show Ennis's politeness and thoughtfullness, and I admire how Heath was consistent with it.  To me, Ennis speaks so little that most anything he says is meaningful.  There was a time when I thought it contradicted Annie Proulx's description of Jack and Ennis in the story as being "rough-mannered."  I reconciled that someone could be rough-mannered but still polite, that their being rough-mannered meant they weren't genteel. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2008, 08:55:52 am »
Well I am going to mention one that has not been discussed.  It is however in my opinion a very crucial, and pivotal part in the story.  I think she never received the credit that she was due.  I think it was because the rest of the cast was already nominated, they thought since her role was a smaller one.  She didnt deserve the nomination.  Pity. . .

. . . I have always thought that Lureen on the phone to Ennis was perfection. . .

. . . If she never does anything more than the teen fair of the Princess Diaries again.  Simply because of the wonderful way she portrayed Lureen.  The beautiful bouncy and sparkling Texas princess, to the lonely wife, "Why is it men never want to dance with their wives?"  To the obviously distraught widow.  She played it all, with perfection. 

I join you in praising Anne Hathaway's performance in the movie, and I agree that she didn't get enough credit.  She showed that Lureen clearly loved Jack.  The way she adoringly looked at Jack while they were dancing after their rodeo wins.  The way she had to stifle the smile when Jack finally stood up to L.D. on Thanksgiving.  Her nasty bitterness then sad resignation at the benefit with Jack, Randall, and Lashawn.  And, of course, her phone conversation with Ennis. 

I remember reading some reviews stating that she gave a bad performance, that she was a caricature.  I also read some reviews that said Jake didn't hold up his end either.  I was totally dismissive of those reviews and critics, thinking they were crazy as hell.  Of course, everybody has a right to their opinion, but, when I love something as much as I do BbM, I ain't very objective myself.  I mean, I wouldn't have thought anything was off if everybody in BbM down to the actors who played Fayette Newsome and Jimbo the rodeo clown got nominated for an Oscar for their performances. 

I don't think I'm a good judge of acting.  There have been many times an actor's performance has been lauded as great acting, and all I see is someone whose speech and behavior was big, energized.  Kinda like how the squeaky wheel gets the grease, the non-subtle actor often gets the kudos.  Also, I think many people say so-and-so gave a good performance simply because they like the actor or character.  I like to believe I am at least somewhat aware of the difference between likability and acting, though the dividing line can be hard to determine. 

I tend to presume that the performance I see is what the director intended for me to see.  Unless an actor is inconsistent in their performance (for instance, an accent that comes and goes); looks like (s)he is reading from cue cards; or their manner, speech, or actions don't somehow seem to fit the overall piece, I go with the flow, figuring that's just how that character is supposed to be.  If I buy it within the context of the piece, it's good acting to me.  If it touches me in some way, that's great acting. 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2008, 11:37:33 am »
Unless an actor is inconsistent in their performance (for instance, an accent that comes and goes); looks like (s)he is reading from cue cards; or their manner, speech, or actions don't somehow seem to fit the overall piece, I go with the flow, figuring that's just how that character is supposed to be.

I think I know what you mean, SKJ. If I'm watching someone who's not known as an incredibly talented actor ... like, let's say, Jennifer Lopez or Seth Green, for example, I STILL usually get caught up in the movie and think of that actor as actually being that character. They may not strike me as great, but they're not out-and-out bad. They have me convinced that they are the person they're playing.

But obviously they ARE talented, because they make it look easier than it actually is. I'm reminded of that when I watch some community-theater performances, or bad sitcoms. That's when the actors DO seem like they're reading scripts, and I have a constant awareness as I watch them that it's an actor playing a role, "acting," saying things for effect -- not the actual character being him or herself.

If I buy it within the context of the piece, it's good acting to me.  If it touches me in some way, that's great acting.

Yep, I'd say the same for myself.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2008, 05:56:32 pm »
This is a great thread.....so many scenes and I guess I'm like everyone else here, when I read these posts I can visualize exactly what everyone is saying, and a lot of the times, I'm reading things that I was thinking too, just didnt know exactly how to put it in words.

I was just reading the post about Anne Hathaway, and visualizing the dance scene after the rodeo, when they first met.....Jack actually changes his character here, we see him as unsure, a little embarrassed,a bit overwhelmed by the situation he is in, and he is acutally putting on an act that this is normal for him, but he seems uncomfortable,even a little scared, yet, willing to see where it takes him. It shows the difference in how he is when he is with a woman, so out of place, whereas he seems so sure of himself with men. He's doing one thing and thinking another, and we hear the song "Nobodys Gonna Love You Like Me" and WE know what he is thinking...its like hes thinking, "well, Im not getting the love I need from Ennis, or having much luck with any man, even if this is not what I want, she is here, and it feels good that someone at least wants me"....

Oh yes, the scene where Ennis is waiting for Jack to arrive.....I remember the first time I saw the film, I was sitting there thinking "now what is gonna happen here when they meet up again"..."are they gonna act like Brokeback never happened?, just act like buddies?" and I guess that comes from the way Ennis was acting, so fidgety, and uncomfortable, even to the point that he may have even been getting bored and frustrated from having to wait all day for Jack...sitting back and closing his eyes, like he had come to the point of "well, I dont give a dam".......the frustration of the day is not only felt by Ennis but by us watching the movie, waiting, waiting to see what happens..........and then that smile, that wonderful wonderful smile on Ennis's face when he sees him, and then I think we know whats gonna happen before it does......So then, its WE know, Ennis knows, and Jack doesnt.....until that grasping embrace, that hard aching kiss and then the look from Jack, and finally, finally, WE all are there, chests pounding, feeling the presssures of their bodies andl lips pressing into each others, hands grasping and holding each other so dam hard, like nothing else exists......OMG has there ever been a scene with so many emotions.

I guess thats what the movie does all the way through, keeps us thinking, keeps us guessing, we are all making our own opinions of what is going on.

And that is still happening today, two years later......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline samwise_fan1965

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2008, 12:48:31 am »
I have to say that a couple of scenes stick out for me. But during the reunion camping trip when Ennis sends up that little prayer is my favorite. When he smiles toward the sky, he looks so very happy. It is only one of two scenes where I think he actually looks like that.
--samwise