Author Topic: Stop the Hate  (Read 1968 times)

garycottle

Stop the Hate
« on: February 19, 2008, 04:25:45 pm »
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 03:10:09 am by garycottle »

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: A Confederacy of Dunces
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:02:50 pm »
I loved this book. I actually heard about it the first time in the movie Sideways (have you seen it?), and got interested in it. I thought it was a very funny story.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: A Confederacy of Dunces
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 10:17:48 pm »
Do you know much about the author??   He committed suicide before his book was ever published.  To include gay characters in a manuscript in the early 1960's might have been too much for the publishing industry.  He left a suicide note which his mother destroyed before anyone ever saw what it said.  So nobody knows why he did it. I remember ppl saying "since he had a smothering mother and committed suicide, I wonder if he was gay..."  You know, the old psychological explanation about how a domineering mother making a son gay...  The wikipedia entry on John Kennedy O'Toole is quite interesting.   His mother made it a personal crusade to get her late son's novel published. I heard she was a real piece of work. Everytime I've started to read the story, I've always been interupted with some distraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kennedy_O%27Toole