Author Topic: Music Music Music  (Read 220454 times)

Online CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Music Music Music
« Reply #220 on: August 25, 2022, 03:03:03 pm »
Not even that many for me. Now I don't feel quite as bad for not knowing any Taylor Swift, Beyonc?, etc. I thought it was me being old but I guess it's more about me being less into pop.

I like that she's not wearing nail polish in the picture. I think young women today with their long manicured intricately polished nails think older women are just dowdy, but actually fingernail polish (unlike toenail polish) was unfashionable in those years and I've just stuck with that ever since. Which I guess is sort of the definition of dowdy, but oh well. :laugh:

I've always been into pop and dance music, and I still listen to current stuff.  I will admit, I like what I grew up with better.   When we lost Olivia Newton-John, I spent a few days walking around singing her songs.

As for the picture, it's interesting to see it in color.  It appears to be from the same photoshoot that produced the cover of her debut album in 1983.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #221 on: August 25, 2022, 03:04:19 pm »
I'm with you on the music. As for nail polish, my mother never used anything other a clear lacquer.

As for toenail polish--I guess I'll get slapped for this--I've always felt it looked a little, well, slutty not in good taste.

My mom never used it either.  I see guys using it now.....I don't like it.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #222 on: August 25, 2022, 03:19:30 pm »
"Borderline" wasn't a #1? 

"La isla bonita"?
"Dress You Up"?

I prefer her "Immaculate Collection", that has all the good stuff from her better earlier days.

That's a great album too, I love my copy!

As for your questions regarding the songs, I have that info for you!  ;D

"Borderline" (released in '84) got to #10 on the Hot 100 chart, and only #4 on the Top Dance Singles Chart, so it is ineligible for the boxed set.

"La Isla Bonita" (released in '87) got to #4 on the Hot 100, and surprisingly, did not chart on the Dance Singles Chart, so it is ineligible for the boxed set.

"Dress You Up" (released in '85) got to #5 on the Hot 100, and only #3 on the Top Dance Singles Chart, so it is ineligible for the boxed set.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #223 on: August 25, 2022, 03:21:16 pm »
It's almost as if you liked Madonna, Chuck!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #224 on: August 25, 2022, 03:28:29 pm »
Ya think?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #225 on: August 25, 2022, 04:47:54 pm »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #226 on: August 25, 2022, 08:30:40 pm »
My mom never used it either.  I see guys using it now.....I don't like it.

What really creeps me out is black nail polish whoever is wearing it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #227 on: August 26, 2022, 12:51:59 pm »
I'm with you on the music. As for nail polish, my mother never used anything other a clear lacquer.

Well, your mother is in a different generation obviously, influenced by different fashion trends. My mom never used colored polish either but a lot of her cohort did. Back then, long pointy nails, with or without polish, were popular for women her age. Now they're back again. But around the era of the Madonna picture they were out, and even supermodels had short, unpolished nails.

I've noticed that two of my neighbors -- one 75 and one 79 -- wear their fingernails long and filed to points. Clear or no polish. Not, I assume, because that look is now trendy among 20-something but because they've always thought that was proper and maintained the habit even during Madonna's peak years.

As for toenail polish--I guess I'll get slapped for this--I've always felt it looked a little, well, slutty not in good taste.[/font][/size]

Well [*shrugs*], I'm a slut.  :laugh:  (That's a Jennifer Aniston line from a Friends episode years on years ago that I found funny and have always remembered. Her sister asks why she owns a slutty looking dress and that's her reply. There was more to the situation but I can't remember it.)

Just as fingernail polish went out of style, toenail polish became de rigueur. Or as the essayist Meghan Daum once put it, "Around 1990, it became illegal for women to leave the house without toenail polish." (Another funny line I remember from years ago.) I would say many more women, of all generations, wear it than don't. You've probably been surrounded by sluts all this time and didn't notice.

I see guys using it now.....I don't like it.

I'm on the fence about that. It wouldn't make a guy especially attractive to me -- more likely the opposite. But I do like that guys are feeling freer to wear "feminine" things because it's always been so taboo for men to do anything resembling women, which I believe is rooted in misogyny. I remember when even long hair or earrings on men drew disapproval.

Did you happen to see recent red-carpet photos of Brad Pitt wearing a skirt? I feel sort of the same way about men in skirts. Brad's ensemble was not particularly attractive -- it looked sloppy, with a crooked hem and baggy untucked shirt; you wouldn't see a woman celeb dressed that way except maybe Billie Eilish. But I liked that he was doing it.

My son has grown his hair to about bicep length. He usually wears it in a bun for work but sometimes just down his back when not working. Last fall he had shoulder surgery and needed to keep his hair up but couldn't raise his arm. So his girlfriend gave him two French braids, pigtail style. I'd never seen that style on a guy before. I can't say it was especially attractive but again, I liked that he was doing it. He's also fairly good looking and wears a beard, so those things helped.

Side note: I recently read an essay online by a waitress who said whenever she wears her hair in pigtails she gets more tips. Other waitresses chimed in to say they'd had the same experience. It was creepy, they said, because the implication is that the style made them look like little girls, appealing to men's latent pedophilia. My son is a waiter but I'm not sure the style was lucrative for him.

What really creeps me out is black nail polish whoever is wearing it.

It's not my favorite look but I don't really mind it. Until about 15-20 years ago, throughout history, nail polish always had to be some shade of red or pink. Now it's every imaginable color. I like that much better.

I'm less fond of intricate designs -- little patterns or pictures, tips different color than the rest of the nail, etc. Lately I've seen women wearing random mixtures of colors on different fingers. I don't have any great objection to these but they seem way more trouble than they're worth.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #228 on: August 26, 2022, 02:41:53 pm »
Well, your mother is in a different generation obviously, influenced by different fashion trends. My mom never used colored polish either but a lot of her cohort did. Back then, long pointy nails, with or without polish, were popular for women her age. Now they're back again. But around the era of the Madonna picture they were out, and even supermodels had short, unpolished nails.

I think they've always been popular for drag queens.

I'm on the fence about that. It wouldn't make a guy especially attractive to me -- more likely the opposite. But I do like that guys are feeling freer to wear "feminine" things because it's always been so taboo for men to do anything resembling women, which I believe is rooted in misogyny. I remember when even long hair or earrings on men drew disapproval.

Well, I won't argue the point, but I'd go with homophobia before I'd go with misogyny--but it might well be that this is a "chicken or the egg" sort of thing.

Did you happen to see recent red-carpet photos of Brad Pitt wearing a skirt? I feel sort of the same way about men in skirts. Brad's ensemble was not particularly attractive -- it looked sloppy, with a crooked hem and baggy untucked shirt; you wouldn't see a woman celeb dressed that way except maybe Billie Eilish. But I liked that he was doing it.

I did not. He's starting to get "up there." Does he have the legs for it?  8)

"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #229 on: August 26, 2022, 03:07:25 pm »
I think they've always been popular for drag queens.

:laugh:   Good point, but I'll have to take your word for it. In my sheltered, straight, Midwestern life I never saw a drag queen until sometime after the Madonna pic was taken.

Well, I won't argue the point, but I'd go with homophobia before I'd go with misogyny--but it might well be that this is a "chicken or the egg" sort of thing.

Yes, I think it's absolutely chicken/egg. But then, traditionally girls haven't gotten anywhere near the same level of stigma if they dress like boys or even ride "boy bikes," even though by the same token that behavior could be equated with lesbianism.

I did not. He's starting to get "up there." Does he have the legs for it?  8)

I think they'll do.  :laugh:

At 58, his face and torso are still well worth ogling, so although I didn't inspect his legs carefully -- the skirt was knee-length and he may have been wearing boots -- they probably sufficed.

Well, why sit around guessing? What I don't get is the sloppy arrangement. Does that help code it as more masculine?