Author Topic: Every human being is an Ennis PLUS Jack, as in the BM movie??  (Read 6927 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Every human being is an Ennis PLUS Jack, as in the BM movie??
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:20:14 am »
Every human being is an Ennis PLUS Jack, as in the BM movie??

Yes??

Your posts will be liked... as you please!!

Hugs!! Hugs to all Ennis'-Jacks!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Every human being is an Ennis PLUS Jack, as in the BM movie??
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:45:17 am »
do we all have components in our psychology that are both reserved and also outgoing? sure, and we evolve over time.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 12:16:44 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Be assured that I am very glad about your comment!!

Now wonder why Jack was killed or murder or died in the BM movie?? I do... since  BOTH could have lived!!

Right?

Hugs!!

moremojo

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 01:01:32 pm »
do we all have components in our psychology that are both reserved and also outgoing? sure, and we evolve over time.
Agreed, and Ennis and Jack represent all kinds of complementary attributes that are usually found in various combinations and degrees in most people. For example, I see Jack as exhibiting both masculine and feminine qualities (whereas Ennis strikes me as emphatically masculine), and as such, represents a more psychologically integrated persona than does Ennis. I believe that most people have both feminine and masculine elements in their makeup, and can see themselves reflected as such in the character of Jack.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 03:34:45 pm »
Thanks moremojo!

May I say that I see Ennis as you say, and he becomes more like Jack... in some ways!!

Hugs!!

moremojo

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 04:44:13 pm »
May I say that I see Ennis as you say, and he becomes more like Jack... in some ways!!
Absolutely. We see Ennis learn from Jack's personality over the course of the film, and incorporate those lessons into his own life. Note Ennis's tender gesture towards Jenny in the Thanksgiving scene...mirroring the similar gesture that Jack bestowed on Ennis in the second tent scene and tried to in the post-divorce meeting. And above all, there is Ennis's loving sacrifice of much needed income for Junior's sake at the very end...suggesting that he has learned from Jack that love is the most important thing in life.

It just occurred to me that Jack may have imbibed some of Ennis's mannerisms as well. I'm thinking of the Childress Thanskgiving scene where Jack finally blows up at L.D. after years of belittlement...very much the kind of response one would expect from Ennis in similar circumstances.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 05:03:22 pm »
Agreed, and Ennis and Jack represent all kinds of complementary attributes that are usually found in various combinations and degrees in most people. For example, I see Jack as exhibiting both masculine and feminine qualities (whereas Ennis strikes me as emphatically masculine), and as such, represents a more psychologically integrated persona than does Ennis. I believe that most people have both feminine and masculine elements in their makeup, and can see themselves reflected as such in the character of Jack.

interesting comment, the issue of perceived masculine and feminine qualities and how the straight world imprints these expectations in gay men is discussed at some length in a book I am currently reading "On Brokeback Mountain- Mediations about Masculinity, Fear, and Love in the Story and the Film" by Eric Patterson

you might find an interest in this book, if you have not already seen it.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 05:04:41 pm »
Absolutely. We see Ennis learn from Jack's personality over the course of the film, and incorporate those lessons into his own life. Note Ennis's tender gesture towards Jenny in the Thanksgiving scene...mirroring the similar gesture that Jack bestowed on Ennis in the second tent scene and tried to in the post-divorce meeting. And above all, there is Ennis's loving sacrifice of much needed income for Junior's sake at the very end...suggesting that he has learned from Jack that love is the most important thing in life.

It just occurred to me that Jack may have imbibed some of Ennis's mannerisms as well. I'm thinking of the Childress Thanskgiving scene where Jack finally blows up at L.D. after years of belittlement...very much the kind of response one would expect from Ennis in similar circumstances.
also a good point that I had not thought over, yes they did learn from each other as all good friends do.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 11:49:50 pm »
Thanks moremojo, thanks brokeplex!!

Since Ennis becomes more like Jack, then why do they not stay together??

They would have became like twins?? I see that sometimes in a couple where both persons are so amiable!!
They learned from each other and become so comfortable, that the other knows what the partner thinks or will do?? Couldn't Ennis and Jack become like that??

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 12:13:25 pm »
Ennis and Jack become to act a bit like each other, in the BM movie??

Ot they think somewhat alike, some times more and more??

Hugs!!