Author Topic: As Easter nears, no Easter in Annie's story or the BM movie?? But??  (Read 41796 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: As Easter nears, no Easter in Annie's story or the BM movie?? But??
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2008, 10:27:05 pm »
Unfortunately, I had a typo when I posted this quote. So, here it is again corrected:

"He [Ennis] was still working there in September when Alma Jr., as he called his daughter, was born and their bedroom was full of the smell of old blood and milk and baby shit, and the sounds were of squalling and sucking and Alma's sleepy groans, all reassuring of fecundity and life's continuance to one who worked with livestock."

This makes it more clear that it was Ennis who works with livestock, and that he considered his wife and children to be like livestock.

really, I never thought of that passage in that light! I interpreted that to mean that he was comfortable with the smells and activities of birth, having worked around livestock.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2008, 10:40:26 pm »
really, I never thought of that passage in that light! I interpreted that to mean that he was comfortable with the smells and activities of birth, having worked around livestock.

It could be interpreted that way too. But when you put it together with other passages in the book, you have to wonder...for instance, Ennis called his daughters AND his horses "little darlin." And there's the passage about how he married Alma and "had her pregnant by January." He also repeatedly tried to breed Alma in order to prove his masculinity until she put a stop to it by demanding that he use rubbers. When that happened, he said "If you don't want no more of my kids, I'll be happy to leave you alone" thus putting to bed the notion that he saw her as anything but breeding stock.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2008, 10:42:37 pm »
It could be interpreted that way too. But when you put it together with other passages in the book, you have to wonder...for instance, Ennis called his daughters AND his horses "little darlin." And there's the passage about how he married Alma and "had her pregnant by January." He also repeatedly tried to breed Alma in order to prove his masculinity until she put a stop to it by demanding that he use rubbers. When that happened, he said "If you don't want no more of my kids, I'll be happy to leave you alone" thus putting to bed the notion that he saw her as anything but breeding stock.

Very good analysis Ranger! I had never connected the dots before, but what you are saying about Ennis now makes sense to me.  :)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2008, 10:52:10 pm »
Front-Ranger, that is still a puzzle to me!

Your dots seem to connect!

There are OTHER ways too in connecting them?

Hugs!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »
Front-Ranger, that is still a puzzle to me!

Your dots seem to connect!

There are OTHER ways too in connecting them?

Hugs!

I have always taken it, as he only had sex with Alma to have kids,not because he wnted to have sex with her per se.It is clear in the book and film that he has sex with Alma in the same way he does with Jack,can't think of a polite way of putting it.He taked her from behind.So if there is to be no more kids,he is in effect off the hook.I don't think he particularly enjoys sex with Alma.And he in reality now has an opt out clause.
In the book at Jack and Ennis's last meeting, it is clear that the sex between the 2 of them is still great.,described as "the brilliant charge" But I guess that is the difference between sex with the one you truly love,and sex as almost like a chore or duty.No comparison.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2008, 11:25:19 pm »
Thanks optom!

May I diifer now.

Many straight men do have sex back door with their wives!

In Ennis case, if he did not enjoy sex with Alma, then why have so many kids??

Many gay men want sex with a lady, as well as men!! And they love both!!

Once Alma wanted out of sex, Ennis had no choice, right? No matter which door he would have used!!

Right?

Hugs!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2008, 12:06:46 am »
Thanks optom!

May I diifer now.

Many straight men do have sex back door with their wives!

Many gay men want sex with a lady, as well as men!! And they love both!!

Once Alma wanted out of sex, Ennis had no choice, right? No matter which door he would have used!!

Right?

Hugs!

O.K here come the typos cause I am laughing so much.I agree plenty of straight couples have sex through the back door,in Greece it is jokingly referred to as the greek contraception, it is so popular.I think Ennis only had 2 kids, not so many I think.Also wasnt it Ennis who decided to opt out of sex rather than use a rubber.I think Alma was still willing but did not want any more kids,as she thought Ennis could not support them.I still think he breathed a sigh of relief.After all if he still really wanted sex with Allma he could have still used the back door,no risk of kids that way,and no rubbers either.the no rubbers was an excuse or get out of it clause for him.
I also do not think he had a particulrly high sex drive.
I do concede gay men can love sex with both sexes,particularly if they have a high sex drive.I think for Ennis sex was very much linked to love,more so than with Jack.But maybe I am just a romantic.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2008, 11:20:13 am »
Thanks optom!

In what you say, you bring up something new:
O.K here come the typos cause I am laughing so much.I agree plenty of straight couples have sex through the back door,in Greece it is jokingly referred to as the greek contraception, it is so popular.I think Ennis only had 2 kids, not so many I think.Also wasnt it Ennis who decided to opt out of sex rather than use a rubber.I think Alma was still willing but did not want any more kids,as she thought Ennis could not support them.I still think he breathed a sigh of relief.After all if he still really wanted sex with Allma he could have still used the back door,no risk of kids that way,and no rubbers either.the no rubbers was an excuse or get out of it clause for him.
I also do not think he had a particulrly high sex drive.
I do concede gay men can love sex with both sexes,particularly if they have a high sex drive.I think for Ennis sex was very much linked to love,more so than with Jack.But maybe I am just a romantic.

Fiona (optom), you bring up sex drive!!  Maybe that is why, Ennis not having much of a sex drive: that we do NOT see Ennis and Jack not having sex anymore ?? In the BM movie!!

Hugs!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2008, 08:00:07 pm »

Because he wanted to prove to the world that he was a potent man, and the visible proof of that is children.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2008, 10:31:54 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

I was just puzzled by your word: potent!! I did think immediately: Why not just sex with Alma, his wife!!
And then, re-seing your words associated with: children!! So, I remember now that Ennis loved his children!!
So, you are right!!

So, that is Ennis Easter gift: life: children!! ??

Au revoir,
hugs!