Author Topic: Oscar Chat 2008?  (Read 54565 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: Oscar Chat 2008?
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2008, 05:22:24 pm »
1. Who is Miley Cyrus?

2. Why couldn't Cameron Diaz learn to say "cinematography"?

3. Ryan Seacrest is beyond annoying.

4. Leave my Kristen Chenoweth alone, if you know what's good for you! >:( :)

At least the presenters' patter was mercifully brief.  They should say good evening, and "the nominees are..." IMO  (I'm thinking of the painful "teapot" incident with Jake and Heath.)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2008, 05:25:12 pm »
Here you go, oilgun!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/alltherage/2008/02/ryan-seacrest-v.html

Man, that was bizarre.

Wasn't Gary Busey in a horrible motorcycle accident quite a few years ago? Maybe he has some late effect residual brain damage or something.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2008, 05:28:15 pm »
1. Who is Miley Cyrus?

Billy Ray Cyrus's daughter, the one who plays Hannah Montana. She just legally changed her name to Miley. It was something else (can't remember what) but her family has always called her Miley, so....

And who is Hannah Montana? The one that inspires mothers to lie and say their husbands were killed in Iraq so they can get free Hannah Montana tickets for their 6 year old daughters to attend the show...

And people wonder why the US is going down the drain....LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2008, 05:29:48 pm »

4. Leave my Kristen Chenoweth alone, if you know what's good for you! >:( :)

I like Kristen and think she has a beautiful voice (I am probably one of three people in the world who own the DVD of The Music Man with her and Matthew Broderick) but I have to say, she really left me flat with that performance last night.

L

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2008, 05:40:43 pm »
I like Kristen and think she has a beautiful voice (I am probably one of three people in the world who own the DVD of The Music Man with her and Matthew Broderick) but I have to say, she really left me flat with that performance last night.

L

I was worried (hoping?) she'd fall off her platform shoes!   ;)  Are there so few eligible songs?  Most of the nominated ones were so painful to listen to1 

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2008, 05:45:47 pm »
Here you go, oilgun!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/alltherage/2008/02/ryan-seacrest-v.html

Thanks!  That really was an awkward moment  :o  I don't care what anyone says but I kinda like Ryan Seacrest.  He wanted Ben Affleck to protect them from "that man" as Jennifer called Busey.  Hilarious!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2008, 05:48:04 pm »
I was worried (hoping?) she'd fall off her platform shoes!   ;)  Are there so few eligible songs?  Most of the nominated ones were so painful to listen to1 

But at least the one that should have won did win! I think I will go order the Once DVD to add to my collection, in honor of the win!

L

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2008, 06:16:30 pm »

Well, she wouldn't have very far to fall; she's tiny.

I haven't even seen Enchanted, but I suspect the songs sound more stupid out of context.  At least Kristen's song was cute:  kind of white calypso.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2008, 06:18:43 pm »
The Academy really needs to change their rules about songs, also foreign films.  Too many good songs/films get excluded. 

Just imagine Emmylou Harris or Teddy Thompson singing up there two years ago.  So much better than that nasty Dolly Parton thing or the Pimps on Parade song.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2008, 06:21:48 pm »
1. Who is Miley Cyrus?

I'd never heard of Miley Cyrus before December, when I heard about the mom lying for Hannah Montana tickets and discovered she's pretty much the most famous girl in the country.

Wasn't Gary Busey in a horrible motorcycle accident quite a few years ago? Maybe he has some late effect residual brain damage or something.

I think he does. He has a reputation for acting irrationally. So sad -- he was good as Buddy Holly!

why was Jessica Alba the host for the Technical Awards held on February 9th. What does she have to do with technical awards?

The always have a babe host the technical awards. I guess they figure (wrongly) that viewers at home will be less likely to leave the room at part. Though if they got an actual techie to host the techie awards, viewers would leave for sure, along with probably most of the people in the auditorium.

At least the presenters' patter was mercifully brief.  They should say good evening, and "the nominees are..." IMO

Though the part where Jon Stewart called the Once singer back onstage to say her thank-you's after being cut off by the orchestra was, IMO, the most touching moment of the show. I don't know if it was Jon Stewart's doing or someone else's, but it was very thoughtful and something that, in a lot of years, wouldn't have been done.