Author Topic: your personality  (Read 6029 times)

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
your personality
« on: March 05, 2008, 02:21:51 pm »
after speaking with a few people on this forum, it occurred to me that there might be a common thread linking us brokies together.  i'm not sure if my theory is right, but we'll see.  so here it goes....
since bbm is a serious, deep, emotional, melancholic at times, movie, i'm wondering if our personality traits is what attracted us to the movie, and made it our favorite.  i happen to be a serious person...sometimes too serious, and sometimes melancholic, and quite emotional.  i know there are others on this forum who describe themselves the same way, so, i'm curious about everyone else's personality.

a good way to do this is to ask 5 people in your life that are closest to you, what word sums up your character trait or personality.   it can be quite different than what you expect. 
i always thought i was fairly laid back and easy going, but apparently not.  i wish i were, and maybe that's it...but, others say i'm very serious....easily angered....sensitive....passionate...emotional....and that i take things too personally and tend to overreact. 
not very complimentary i guess, but maybe it's true.
so...is there a common thread?  what are you like?  how do others describe you?  ask the 5 people and see what they say.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Re: your personality
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 02:47:09 pm »
after speaking with a few people on this forum, it occurred to me that there might be a common thread linking us brokies together.  i'm not sure if my theory is right, but we'll see.  so here it goes....
since bbm is a serious, deep, emotional, melancholic at times, movie, i'm wondering if our personality traits is what attracted us to the movie, and made it our favorite.  i happen to be a serious person...sometimes too serious, and sometimes melancholic, and quite emotional.  i know there are others on this forum who describe themselves the same way, so, i'm curious about everyone else's personality.

a good way to do this is to ask 5 people in your life that are closest to you, what word sums up your character trait or personality.   it can be quite different than what you expect. 
i always thought i was fairly laid back and easy going, but apparently not.  i wish i were, and maybe that's it...but, others say i'm very serious....easily angered....sensitive....passionate...emotional....and that i take things too personally and tend to overreact. 
not very complimentary i guess, but maybe it's true.
so...is there a common thread?  what are you like?  how do others describe you?  ask the 5 people and see what they say.

Well I can tell you exactly what I,m like without asking anyone.
I,m opinionated, I,ve got a terrible temper, I speak my mind, I don,t take life too seriously, I couldn,t care less what anyone else thinks of me, my kids love me that,s all I care about. I can get emotional about certain things. I,m certainly passionate about my children and I,ll fight to the death for them. If I have an opinion that differs to someone elses, I won,t back down just to appease them I stand my ground.
If someone asks me for an honest opinion then that is exactly what they,ll get, and if they get upset, well too bad, they shouldn,t have asked lol.
Good thread this. ;D

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 02:59:22 pm »
Well I can tell you exactly what I,m like without asking anyone.
I,m opinionated, I,ve got a terrible temper, I speak my mind, I don,t take life too seriously, I couldn,t care less what anyone else thinks of me, my kids love me that,s all I care about. I can get emotional about certain things. I,m certainly passionate about my children and I,ll fight to the death for them. If I have an opinion that differs to someone elses, I won,t back down just to appease them I stand my ground.
If someone asks me for an honest opinion then that is exactly what they,ll get, and if they get upset, well too bad, they shouldn,t have asked lol.
Good thread this. ;D

lol.  well, i certainly won't be asking you if i 'look fat in these'!   :laugh:

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 03:04:11 pm »
lol.  well, i certainly won't be asking you if i 'look fat in these'!   :laugh:

No maybe you,d better not lol. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline optom3

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 03:15:05 pm »
Well I guess, actually I know what people would say of me.Too emotional,both high and low,too prone to over analysis and introspection,quick to anger,but equally quick to back down,too demanding of perfection  mainly in myself.Too quick to criticise myself for failure,instead of accepting it as part of life.Too sensitive to criticism.
Overly eager to please and incapable of saying no!!! Guilt complex the size of a large continent.

Trying very hard but not doing well at letting go of the past.
Very overindulgent of my kids as some sort of overcompensation for my own childhood,but working on that one as well

Prone to visiting dark places in my mind,then wallowing in them!!!

Balanced against all this is a tenedency to arrogance,my way or the highway.This is where this forum has been helpful,it puts you in your place,and sometimes I need that.

A good friend once said,much kinder to others than to myself.
So a mix of things which pretty well fits in with the diagnosis of manic/depressive I have been given.That funnily enough has helped me understand myself,far better.It doesn't mean I just swallow the meds and get on with it. What it actually means is that the diagnosis helps me to work with myself better,if that makes sense.
I used to think I was just plain weird!!!!!!!
It also helps me interact with my son (same diagnosis) much better.

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 03:17:25 pm »
There is a personality test called the Myers Briggs.  I took it years ago in college and became fascinated by it.  I purchased a book with an abbreviated version of it called "Please Understand Me"  and administered the test to any of my friends and family who would submit.  The Myers Briggs is based on temperament theory - the idea that we are each born with one of 16 personality types.  My results from the test fit me to a T.  I have retaken it several times over the years and the results have been more or less consistent.  So, in technical terms, at least for me, the test has been both valid and reliable.  The abbreviated version is available on Facebook and probably elsewhere on line as well.  I highly recommend it.

I am an INFJ (Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Judging) type.  There is a very specific definition for each term.  For example, Introverted does not mean that you avoid people, only that you recharge your batteries by being alone.  It is where you get your energy from.

Here is the short summary of my personality type:

INFJs are future oriented, and direct their insight and inspiration toward the understanding of themselves and thereby human nature. Their work mirrors their integrity, and it needs to reflect their inner ideals. Solitude and an opportunity to concentrate thoroughly on what counts most is important to them. INFJs prefer to quietly exert their influence. They have deeply felt compassion, and they desire harmony with others. INFJs understand the complexities existing within people and among them. They are at their best concentrating on their ideas, ideals, and inspirations.

One thing about this that helped me immensely when I first learned my type was finding out that only 1 out of 100 people is like me.  So, for example, there was probably not one child in any of my grade school classes of 30 who viewed the world as I did.  Sometimes I really felt different, and the truth is that I was, and that that was okay.

yes, i've taken the myers briggs test many many times.  i think i'm an INFP from what i can remember.
but so far it seems like we all do have some common threads, from those who've replied so far.  i'm eager to see who else posts here, and what they have to say.

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 03:20:20 pm »
Well I guess, actually I know what people would say of me.Too emotional,both high and low,too prone to over analysis and introspection,quick to anger,but equally quick to back down,too demanding of perfection  mainly in myself.Too quick to criticise myself for failure,instead of accepting it as part of life.Too sensitive to criticism.
Overly eager to please and incapable of saying no!!! Guilt complex the size of a large continent.

Trying very hard but not doing well at letting go of the past.
Very overindulgent of my kids as some sort of overcompensation for my own childhood,but working on that one as well

Prone to visiting dark places in my mind,then wallowing in them!!!

Balanced against all this is a tenedency to arrogance,my way or the highway.This is where this forum has been helpful,it puts you in your place,and sometimes I need that.

A good friend once said,much kinder to others than to myself.
So a mix of things which pretty well fits in with the diagnosis of manic/depressive I have been given.That funnily enough has helped me understand myself,far better.It doesn't mean I just swallow the meds and get on with it. What it actually means is that the diagnosis helps me to work with myself better,if that makes sense.
I used to think I was just plain weird!!!!!!!
It also helps me interact with my son (same diagnosis) much better.

good to see you here fiona!  i already know that you and i are quite alike, so the commonalities are getting interesting.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 03:28:36 pm »
Wow!

So much interesting!

I am asking what some members think of moi?

Is that OK? Negatives as well as positives; both or one, be frank now!

Hugs!

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 03:50:34 pm »
Wow!

So much interesting!

I am asking what some members think of moi?

Is that OK? Negatives as well as positives; both or one, be frank now!

Hugs!

well i think you are cheerfull.  you always seem to add "hugs" at the end of your posts......and sometimes you have very strong opinions, some which i agree with, some not,...but that's what makes this forum interesting.  maybe your moody at times too?  seems many artists are, and speaking from my own experience, i know my art changes with my moods.
so, maybe passionate?  some of your posts have a lot of emotion behind them....but, again, i don't really know you.  what do you think of yourself?

Offline optom3

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 04:20:17 pm »
There is a personality test called the Myers Briggs.  I took it years ago in college and became fascinated by it.  I purchased a book with an abbreviated version of it called "Please Understand Me"  and administered the test to any of my friends and family who would submit.  The Myers Briggs is based on temperament theory - the idea that we are each born with one of 16 personality types.  My results from the test fit me to a T.  I have retaken it several times over the years and the results have been more or less consistent.  So, in technical terms, at least for me, the test has been both valid and reliable.  The abbreviated version is available on Facebook and probably elsewhere on line as well.  I highly recommend it.

I am an INFJ (Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Judging) type.  There is a very specific definition for each term.  For example, Introverted does not mean that you avoid people, only that you recharge your batteries by being alone.  It is where you get your energy from.

Here is the short summary of my personality type:

INFJs are future oriented, and direct their insight and inspiration toward the understanding of themselves and thereby human nature. Their work mirrors their integrity, and it needs to reflect their inner ideals. Solitude and an opportunity to concentrate thoroughly on what counts most is important to them. INFJs prefer to quietly exert their influence. They have deeply felt compassion, and they desire harmony with others. INFJs understand the complexities existing within people and among them. They are at their best concentrating on their ideas, ideals, and inspirations.

One thing about this that helped me immensely when I first learned my type was finding out that only 1 out of 100 people is like me.  So, for example, there was probably not one child in any of my grade school classes of 30 who viewed the world as I did.  Sometimes I really felt different, and the truth is that I was, and that that was okay.

Wow that is so spooky!!!! I just did the test online and ended up INFJ .It was so scarily accurate that I have printed it out for my husband,who struggles to understand me some times.
I have never seen such an accurate description of my personality,I could never understand why so many of my traits seemed at odds with each other.
Thankyou so much for posting about the test.
I am still reeling from the results and description.I also think I might get my husband to do it,so I can see how better to interact with him.by understanding him better.