Author Topic: TOTW 16/08: When did you fall in love with the characters?  (Read 8607 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: TOTW 16/08: When did you fall in love with the characters?
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 05:28:35 pm »
Merci optom !

Your post is very interesting !!

Everyone attaches herself or himself to different things, like ones you described as examples !!

As for if one is living and the other past away, I still consider both ALIVE !! Somehow, in many ways !!

And I truly desire an BM II too with both !!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 11:13:15 am »
Merci optom !

Your post is very interesting !!

Everyone attaches herself or himself to different things, like ones you described as examples !!

As for if one is living and the other past away, I still consider both ALIVE !! Somehow, in many ways !!

And I truly desire an BM II too with both !!
Au revoir,
hugs!

Yes,Artiste,you're very right¡ Also for me,somehow,both of them are alive;Jake in our world,Heath in another world or another plane where I'm sure we'll find him someday...And of course,bearing in mind that he will live forever in our minds and souls by means of his work and the love he has left here and the one he has taken with him. :-\ :'(
As for the question,I remembered having fallen in love with Jack at the beginning of their stay on the mountain,when he's looking for Ennis when this has had the bear's incident.For Ennis,much later,and for the movie,immediately.I think,doubtless,that I'd keep on thinking about it with or without the forum; never before a movie had had such a great impact on me,not only as a masterpiece,but emotionally.And the forums I write on have served to "canalise" these emotions,making me feel better as I'm sharing them with a lot of persons more and knowing I'm not crazy...Well,yes,I'm crazy,of course; I'm crazy about BBM,Jack/Jake,Heath/Ennis,all the persons who have made it possible and for all the Brokies who share with me this madness... :)
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline nagsheadsea412

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 04:42:18 am »
I couldn't believe it...fell in love at the first blink...I was on another site reading about many reviews of the movie since 2005 and the first half loved the entire picture...the second half said they were bored by it, the accents were atrocious, and the love scenes were contrived...where are these people from..Mars?  Nagsheadsea

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 06:14:30 am »
I couldn't believe it...fell in love at the first blink...I was on another site reading about many reviews of the movie since 2005 and the first half loved the entire picture...the second half said they were bored by it, the accents were atrocious, and the love scenes were contrived...where are these people from..Mars?  Nagsheadsea

Hey Nagsheadsea,

thanks for adding your two cents. And welcome to BetterMost! :)
Pull up a log, stick your boot into the fire and sit with us around the campfire. Looking forward to hear more from you.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 01:59:34 pm »
When I saw the movie I'd never heard of the short story and generally, I'd say I fell in love at first viewing (or first blink!  :)  ) too -- but for some reason I'd missed a lot in the first viewing.  The real obsession came when I saw it for the second time, a few weeks later.

Both those theatres are now part of my personal history, needless to say.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »
When I saw the movie I'd never heard of the short story and generally, I'd say I fell in love at first viewing (or first blink!  :)  ) too -- but for some reason I'd missed a lot in the first viewing. 

I fell in love/missed a lot on first viewing, too. The theater I went to had bad sound, and I missed a lot of dialogue. Nevertheless, I went back to see it two or three days later.

Offline nagsheadsea412

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 05:39:25 pm »
I think I fell in love with Jack first...especially his slow approach towards Ennis outside the trailer...a tentative walk...then backs off...turns and virtually sprawls his body over the truck....sex on wheels?  blew me away.....

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 07:08:10 pm »
Welcome to BetterMost, nagsheadsea412! Did you just see the movie recently? Tell us more! You've found the right place to talk about Brokeback Mountain!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nagsheadsea412

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 08:42:49 pm »
Yes, Front Ranger, I missed the whole show in 2005/  In October 2008, I was watching tv one night and it was in the middle of BBM - captivated me- had never even known Heath and Jake as actors...the next day I bounded out and rented it...soon after bought the dvd....and became hooked, lined and sank (or whatever the adage is)  Have always loved cowboys and westerns.... the gruffness, the harshness of landscapes, hidden faces under the hats...and this added quality of love was quite a bonified thrill....

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 01:26:13 pm »
I think I fell in love with Jack first...especially his slow approach towards Ennis outside the trailer...a tentative walk...then backs off...turns and virtually sprawls his body over the truck....sex on wheels?  blew me away.....

Blows me away, just reading your description of it!  ;)

Welcome to BetterMost, nagsheadsea!

I don't know if I can pick a single moment, and it's hard to remember so many viewings later.  I was pretty clueless about the early chemistry at my first viewing...I think it was when Jack reached out to Ennis with the wet bandanna, after he'd been come up on the bear, that my heart settled on what was going on there.

Of course, in future viewings their attraction (and by extension my own 'falling in love') became even more obvious to me earlier and earlier.  It's lovely and subtle.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."