Author Topic: To you, what is FUN for you in the BM movie?  (Read 50776 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: To you, what is FUN for you in the BM movie?
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2008, 10:49:36 am »
Thanks Mandy!

Since you say:
as a way to numb  ...

Mandy, can laughter be also a way to numb?

I hope it's always for happiness!! ?? At least for the beans...

Hugs!

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2008, 11:05:06 am »
Yes, Artiste, I think laughter can also be a way to numb.  And it's a heck of a lot faster, cheaper, and doesn't kill your liver.  ;)
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Artiste

« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2008, 11:21:21 am »
Mandy, and laughter is also a way to be happy??

There is a French-canadienne out west like in the prairies who had started a laughter club, did you hear?

And now it's in many countries!

Maybe that would have been good for Ennis and Jack, and...

what do yoiu think?

At least, Jack tried laughter!

Did Ennis for fun too?

Hugs!

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2008, 12:05:24 pm »
Bliss, you bring up a good question! Do you suppose that sadness is the other side of the blade of happiness?? I do not know how to phrase it otherwise... right now!

At the beginning of the movie, which one is more sad? Ennis or Jack?

At the beginning of the movie, which one is more happy? Ennis or Jack?

Is that hard to say?

At least, it is fun to see Jack cruising... right away Ennis?

And is Ennis having fun being cruised?

I guess sadness is the other side of the blade of happiness. They do say that without the bad times we wouldn't appreciate the good. I guess that's true for all of us. Some of us though tend to find that we get more than our fair share of sadness - that was certainly the case for Ennis and Jack. There's a kind of bitter-sweet feeling to their romance though. They were apart so much of the time over the years, yet the times they had were all the more precious because of it. At the end, Ennis is left with great sadness, but also lots of memories of the good times and the special bond they shared - again, a double-edged sword.

Hmmm...the beginning of the movie. Neither of them strike me as particularly happy or sad. Annie says, "...both high school dropout country boys with no prospects, brought up to hard work and privation, both rough-mannered, rough-spoken, inured to the stoic life." I guess if anything there was a slight sense of sadness about them both, but neither I think had any expections. They were both looking for work and just happened to come together at Aguirre's. Ennis was expecting to marry Alma - I guess it was the expected thing for him to do. It's difficult to guess at what his feelings for Alma were, because at that stage in both the SS and the film we're given no clues. His brother and sister though had both married, and I guess that's what he was expected to do. In that society, early in the '60's, that would be what was expected of him.

Jack's a different matter though, and I think clearly right from the start he's looking for something. He comes from the desolation of Lightning Flat, and I think he's desperate to escape from that life. When they were in the bar in the afternoon after they met at Aguirre's office, Annie says, "he was crazy to be somewhere, anywhere else than Lightning Flat." I think that comes across clearly right from the start, and he's clearly attracted to Ennis.

That first exchange of glances though when they're outside waiting for Aguirre to show up though is fun, Jack's subtle glances. I'm not sure whether Ennis has picked up on it at that stage though. I don't think he has.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2008, 12:33:03 pm »
Thanks Bliss!

You say:
Hmmm...the beginning of the movie. Neither of them strike me as particularly happy or sad.
Bliss:
At the beginning of the movie, so you think that both are stoic then and there as Annie portraits them?
Ennis is stoic, and Jack too?? But that changes quickly?? Is there fun starting to that change that stoic coldness?

You say:
That first exchange of glances though when they're outside waiting for Aguirre to show up though is fun, Jack's subtle glances. I'm not sure whether Ennis has picked up on it at that stage though. I don't think he has. 

Bliss, may I say that Ennis does re-act to Jack's intense FIRST look at him!! Right??
And Ennis moves his head down... but feels that Jack is STILLL glancing at him??
And so, Ennis looks shy way to Jack and is starting to change... like this is now becoming FUN to him??

Isn't there some INNER fun by BOTH??

Hugs!

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2008, 03:38:53 pm »
Bliss, may I say that Ennis does re-act to Jack's intense FIRST look at him!! Right??
And Ennis moves his head down... but feels that Jack is STILLL glancing at him??
And so, Ennis looks shy way to Jack and is starting to change... like this is now becoming FUN to him??

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that bit where Ennis puts his head down. I guess he has noticed. You may be right, I think there is something subtle changing in how they react to each other.

Another thing I've just noticed is when they're walking down the street in Signal to go to the bar - Jack's the one in front. Already he's leading the way. The screenplay's quite specific about that.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2008, 04:00:24 pm »
Laughter is the best medicine!  

Optom, wow, you bring up a great fun time in the BM movie!

Remember?

Au revoir,
hugs!

I remember!!!! it is ingrained on my brain for ever, when they jump naked off the cliff into the lake.The single most uninhibited moment of pure childish joy,in the whole film.Just wish I had got to see more in close up!!!! and for longer.
It happens before dreams die and hope is lost.Ennis is still caught up in the joy of the reunion, and the guilt has yet to kick in a major way.For Jack there is the posibility ahead of a few days in which to convince Ennis of the "sweet dream"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2008, 04:34:38 pm »
Thanks optom!

C'est si beau ce que tu dis!! (That is so beautiful what you say!!

You say:
Just wish I had got to see more in close up!!!!

Fiona (optom), may I wish for that too!!

What is wrong with skinny dipping ?? !! Nothing, it's joie-de-vivre... joys of life as you say!!

Why is that in there? But so far, is the camera? Too far!! Why?

WE WANT THAT FUN, close-ups!!

Brilliant, oui, oui, est ton idea!! Brilliant, is your idea!!

So great that you suggest that jumping off-cliff dip.... as pure fun for the two actors, as well as us viewers!!

But Jake G. did not do that??

Hugs!!

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2008, 04:45:53 pm »
It happens before dreams die and hope is lost.Ennis is still caught up in the joy of the reunion, and the guilt has yet to kick in a major way.For Jack there is the posibility ahead of a few days in which to convince Ennis of the "sweet dream"

That line's just so perfect! I think I've just found the title for my little story "Before Dreams Die" - if you don't mind me borrowing it, that is.  ;)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2008, 04:49:38 pm »
I agree with Bliss, may I say Optom!

Maybe that could be too a title for a movie, like BM is?

Hugs!