Author Topic: Kerry's Visit to Heath at the Archibald  (Read 25609 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Kerry's Visit to Heath at the Archibald
« on: March 08, 2008, 08:18:39 am »
Kerry’s Visit to Heath at the Archibald

A Photo-Essay

I make the short five-minute drive from my home and park in Goulburn Street, at the southern end of Sydney’s Central Business District. I walk northward up the Elizabeth Street hill and enter Hyde Park at the corner of Elizabeth & Liverpool Streets.

I walk northward along Hyde Park’s central avenue, bordered by towering Moreton Bay fig trees.

I come to the Archibald Fountain, named after the same Jules Francois (John Feltham) Archibald, after whom the Archibald Prize is also named. I’ve loved this fountain since childhood, with its beautiful statues inspired by classical mythology. This photo shows Apollo with his lyre and Diana with her bow.

One of my favourite sculptures comprising the Archibald Fountain’s statuary is this dramatic depiction of Theseus slaying the Minotaur. St Mary’s Cathedral can be seen in the background.

I exit Hyde Park, cross College Street, pass by St Mary’s Cathedral and enter the Domain, with its impeccably manicured gardens, via Art Gallery Road. A statue of Robbie Burns can be seen on the right (scroll over --->).

As I follow the gentle curve of Art Gallery Road, I eventually glimpse the Art Gallery of New South Wales through the trees in the near distance. The grand, neo-classical, western portico, with its towering Ionic columns, is clearly visible in this photo. If I were to continue walking along Art Gallery Road, I would, in time, come to the highly ornate entrance gates leading to the Royal Botanical Gardens and Sydney Harbour.

The gallery’s entrance is flanked by two enormous equestrian statues, also much loved by me since childhood. This one is titled, “The Offerings of War.” To give you an idea of their size, I am just under 6ft in height and the top of my head comes to that horse’s hoof!

And so, I climb the steps and enter the gallery’s main vestibule.

Once inside, I am advised by an attendant that I am unable to take photo’s of the paintings in the Archibald exhibition. The reason given is that, “The paintings in the Archibald exhibition are owned by each individual artist, not by the gallery.” I must appear disappointed, because the attendant seems to take sympathy on me and adds, “You can take photo’s anywhere else in the public areas of the gallery, just not in the Archibald exhibition, but please don’t use flash.”  I’m not really disappointed because I already have a beautiful copy of the painting I’ve come to see, thanks to the Internet. In fact, I have copies of all the paintings in the Archibald exhibition, which I am happy to share with you, via the official Art Gallery of NSW website:

http://www.thearchibaldprize.com.au/finalists/archibald

After an enjoyable couple of hours of escapism, I leave the gallery and walk back along Art Gallery Road, from whence I came; back, alas, to the world of cold hard reality.

And so, back through the Domain’s great southern gates, and I’ll soon be back at my car and home again, after a most enjoyable visit to “Heath” (the portrait by Vincent Fantauzzo) at the Archibald.

Thank you, Mr Archibald!

The End
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 10:29:36 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

Re: Kerry's Visit to Heath at the Archibald
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:40:58 am »
Thank you for this, Kerry.... Sad to hear that you weren't able to take pics of the paintings... Hope the experience was good for you despite that....

Sydney looks like a city I would feel at home in within seconds...  :D

Love, Mel  :-*

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 09:43:25 am »
Thank you for this, Kerry.... Sad to hear that you weren't able to take pics of the paintings... Hope the experience was good for you despite that....

Sydney looks like a city I would feel at home in within seconds...  :D

Love, Mel  :-*

You would feel very at home here, Melissa. There are lots of Dutch people in Sydney. Many came here from Indonesia in the 1950s.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 10:06:31 am »
Kerry,

Thank you so much for all those pictures! J

You just put Sydney on my "bucket list"...

Bruce
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 10:09:01 am »
Thank you for this report Kerry  :-* Lots of beautiful pictures, even if you weren't able to take photos of the exhibition itself. It's great to see a foreign city through the eyes of someone who lives there. Much more personal and therefore more interesting than looking at pics in a travel guide.

I'm astonished how 'familiar' everything looks to me. Looks very European. Except the road signs are on the wrong side  ;D.

One of my favourite sculptures comprising the Archibald Fountain’s statuary is this dramatic depiction of Theseus slaying the Minotaur. St Mary’s Cathedral can be seen in the background.

FRiend Lee will love the ancient 'steer wrestler'.  :)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 10:23:38 am »
Thank you for this report Kerry  :-* Lots of beautiful pictures, even if you weren't able to take photos of the exhibition itself. It's great to see a foreign city through the eyes of someone who lives there. Much more personal and therefore more interesting than looking at pics in a travel guide.

I'm astonished how 'familiar' everything looks to me. Looks very European. Except the road signs are on the wrong side  ;D.

FRiend Lee will love the ancient 'steer wrester'.  :)

It looks familiar to me too.  It looks like Boston!
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 10:36:09 am »
Kerry,

Thank you so much for all those pictures! J

You just put Sydney on my "bucket list"...

Bruce

I'm very glad you enjoyed them, Bruce, even though I'm not entirely sure what a "bucket list" is haha.  ???   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 10:47:42 am »

It looks familiar to me too.  It looks like Boston!

I agree! I went to Boston last year and I absolutely LOVED it...  :D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 10:52:08 am »

FRiend Lee will love the ancient 'steer wrester'.  :)

Sydney is my home town, where I was born, and I love it to bits. It is generally a very "Western" city; however, having said that, you would get an entirely different impression of the city if I posted pictures of the recent Chinese New Year Parade. Or if I posted pics from last weekend's Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras for that matter. The Art Gallery is in the older, more "establishment" part of town. Like most modern cities, Sydney is an exciting, multi-faceted place. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 11:30:40 am »
I'm very glad you enjoyed them, Bruce, even though I'm not entirely sure what a "bucket list" is haha.  ???   :D

I was wondering about how well that idiom would travel. 

It's a list of the things to do before you die ("kick the bucket").

(It's the name of Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman's latest movie.)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 08:36:09 pm »
Kerry, I love this photo-journey.  While the statues and grass may look European or Bostonian, the trees and larger shrubs sure don't.  Gorgeous!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 10:03:06 pm »
Sydney looks gorgeous!  However, we have neither palm trees nor fig trees in Boston!

Thanks, Kerry.

Offline optom3

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 11:01:41 pm »
What a stunning and innovative post.I just loved it.
Thankyou so much for taking the time to do it.The portrait of Heath still provokes mixed feelings.
HOW I wish he were still here.How I wish I could get past that feeling.
Never have I known such a "celebrity" figure to engender such feelings within me.Normally Its just a news article amd to be honest I couldn't give a toss one way or another.
I struggle to comprehend these feelings that still engulf me.
I am waiting for that time heals all to kick in.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 11:15:05 pm »

FRiend Lee will love the ancient 'steer wrestler'.  :)

You bet, Chrissi and Kerry!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 11:23:27 pm »
What a stunning and innovative post.I just loved it.
Thankyou so much for taking the time to do it.The portrait of Heath still provokes mixed feelings.
HOW I wish he were still here.How I wish I could get past that feeling.
Never have I known such a "celebrity" figure to engender such feelings within me.Normally Its just a news article amd to be honest I couldn't give a toss one way or another.
I struggle to comprehend these feelings that still engulf me.
I am waiting for that time heals all to kick in.

Thank you for your kind feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed my little photo-essay.

Like you, I too have never felt this way about a celebrity's death before. I'm coming to think that maybe it's Ennis' death I'm mourning, not necessarily Heath's. It's the only way I can rationalise the extreme level of grief I'm experiencing for someone I didn't know (Heath). However, I feel I DID know - and LOVE - Ennis. I have a great deal of trouble explaining this to myself, let alone anyone else. I take comfort from the fact that Jack and Ennis have been reunited and are happy together again now.  :'(

Jack and Ennis have always been more REAL to me than Jake and Heath (I can't explain that one either).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 11:27:26 pm »
You bet, Chrissi and Kerry!

Are you into steer wrestling, Lee?  ???   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 01:01:49 am »

Lovely photo essay! Thank you!

:)

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 01:03:48 am »

Now that's high praise from one photo-essayist to another.  :-*

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 01:50:17 am »

Thank you kindly.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 01:59:26 am »
Your welcome!

Here's something that might be of interest
(via the New York Times):

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/world/international-australia-nedkelly.html

Grave Of Australian Outlaw Ned Kelly Said Found

By REUTERS
Published: March 9, 2008

Filed at 12:08 a.m. ET

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian archaeologists believe they have found the grave of the country's legendary outlaw, Ned Kelly, on the site of an abandoned prison.

Kelly, immortalized for using home-made amour in a final shoot-out with police, became a folk hero of Australia's colonial past with his gang's daring bank robberies and escapes.

The son of an Irish convict, Kelly was hanged for his crimes in 1880 and buried in a mass grave at a prison in the southern city of Melbourne in Victoria state. The whereabouts of his body had remained as elusive as Kelly was in real life.

Archaeologists who have been digging at the site of the former Pentridge prison unearthed a mass grave where historical records suggested the remains of Kelly and other executed prisoners were buried after being removed from the old Melbourne Gaol when it closed in 1929.

"We believe we have conclusively found the burial site, but that is very different from finding the remains," Jeremy Smith, senior archaeologist with Heritage Victoria, told Reuters on Sunday.

"If the remains exist, then we will have found them."

He said the grave contained 32 bodies in rows of coffins in various states of decomposition. The bodies are incomplete and will now be subject to forensic tests.

Smith said it would be a struggle to prove conclusively that any of the remains were Kelly's, particularly from single bones. He said the bones had been roughly treated in the 1929 move and some may have been taken for souvenirs.

Archaeologists would be looking for a headless body and signs of an injury to a wrist. Kelly's head was known to have been removed from his body after his death and he had a wrist injury from one of his shoot-outs.

After evading police for two years, Kelly and his gang were trapped in bushland in Victoria on June 28, 1880.

In a defiant last stand, Kelly, dressed in homemade amour hammered out of plough blades, walked towards police with guns blazing.

He was shot in the legs, arms and groin more than 20 times before he was arrested. The rest of his gang was killed.

Debate about his place in Australian history has raged for decades over whether he was a hero, a lovable rogue who fought the colonial British establishment, or simply a horse-thieving killer surrounded by a gang of thugs.

Films have portrayed Kelly as a hero, from one of the world's first feature-length films, the 1906 silent movie "The Story of the Kelly Gang," to the 1970s version starring Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger and the late Hollywood star Heath Ledger 's 2003 film.

Australian author Peter Carey's novel True History of the Kelly Gang was awarded the 2001 Booker Prize.

(Editing by David Fogarty)

"Camping Out"

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 03:16:03 am »
Kerry, that was great. Thank you so much. Sydney looks beautiful. I've always wanted to go to Australia, but now I want to even more.

And thanks for that article John.  :-*

Courtney

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 07:40:54 am »

Grave Of Australian Outlaw Ned Kelly Said Found

Thank you for posting that informative article. If you are interested in Australian bushrangers (outlaws), I can strongly recommend that you read my previous post, "Gay Outlaws Andrew & James - A True Love Story," a thread about Andrew Scott (alias Captain Moonlite) and his lover, James Nesbitt. I used to think their story would make a wonderful movie, with Heath and Jake in the lead roles. Alas, that will now never be.  :'(

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,6892.msg130175.html#msg130175

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 07:43:36 am »
Kerry, that was great. Thank you so much. Sydney looks beautiful. I've always wanted to go to Australia, but now I want to even more.

And thanks for that article John.  :-*

Courtney

You would love Sydney, Courtney. It's a beautiful city.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 05:29:31 pm »
Hi Kerry

And thank you for taking me on a walk in Sidney after driving home in the snowstorm in Sweden......  ;D.......I Love The Internet, our planet is so tiny and small these days...... :o

Absolutely beautiful pictures!!

Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 05:47:57 pm »
Hi Kerry

And thank you for taking me on a walk in Sidney after driving home in the snowstorm in Sweden......  ;D.......I Love The Internet, our planet is so tiny and small these days...... :o

Absolutely beautiful pictures!!

Berit

You are very welcome, Berit. I'm glad you enjoyed my walking tour of Sydney. It will soon be Summer in Sweden and when it is, it'll be Winter here in Australia. However, what we call "Winter" in Australia, is probably more like Summer in some places. We have a very mild Winter in Oz.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 10:31:29 am »
Somehow I didn't put two & two together & realise the portrait was in Sydney - otherwise I would have tried to have gone, being here too.  But my baby is due anyday now so I dare not stray too far from home alas.  Maybe I can make it later with the new arrival if the exhibition is on for a while. 
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 01:00:29 pm »
Somehow I didn't put two & two together & realise the portrait was in Sydney - otherwise I would have tried to have gone, being here too. 

Hunh? Are you in Sydney? Somehow I was sure you're in UK  ::). I think I even PMed you once (long ago) about a EuroBrokie gathering  :-\ :laugh:

But my baby is due anyday now

That's great to hear  :D! All the best for you two  :-*

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 05:45:39 pm »
Somehow I didn't put two & two together & realise the portrait was in Sydney - otherwise I would have tried to have gone, being here too.  But my baby is due anyday now so I dare not stray too far from home alas.  Maybe I can make it later with the new arrival if the exhibition is on for a while. 

The Archibald runs until May 18, nic, so you've got plenty of time. It is held at this time every year at the Art Gallery of NSW, Art Gallery Road, The Domain, Sydney.

Not sure where that is? Follow these simple directions:

Get yourself to Parliament House in Macquarie Street. Not far along Macquarie Street from Parliament House is Sydney Hospital (look for the disgusting fountain/statue of the dribbling pig - yetch!). Walk through the central courtyard of Sydney Hospital (accessible from Macquarie Street), all the way through to a large open green area with big old fig trees on its perimeter. That's the Domain. Walk eastward, straight across the Domain, until you see a substantial neo-classical building through the trees. That's the Art Gallery of NSW.

Alternatively, follow the directions in my photo-essay:

Park at the Goulburn Street Parking Station ($6 per hour), walk up Elizabeth Street, cross Hyde Park and enter Art Gallery Road, which is located to the immediate north of St Mary's Cathedral. Walk northward along Art Gallery Road until you come to the Art Gallery of NSW. You can't miss it.

Click here for full particulars:

http://www.thearchibaldprize.com.au/
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 11:13:04 pm »
Thanks so much for the photos of Sydney, Kerry.  It looks like a lovely city.  All we ever see of it here seems to be the shot of the harbor with the Opera House and the big bridge. 

I'm glad you went to pay your respects to Heath, and I feel like I went with you, just as I felt John and I had all of you with us when we paid our respects at 421 Broome Street.  :(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 07:47:10 am »
Thanks so much for the photos of Sydney, Kerry.  It looks like a lovely city.  All we ever see of it here seems to be the shot of the harbor with the Opera House and the big bridge. 

I'm glad you went to pay your respects to Heath, and I feel like I went with you, just as I felt John and I had all of you with us when we paid our respects at 421 Broome Street.  :(

I'm glad you enjoyed the pics of Sydney, Meryl. I felt like I had all my Brokie friends with me that day.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 01:37:44 am »
My most vivid memory of Sydney is of the white parrots in the trees.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 02:31:33 am »
You are very welcome, Berit. I'm glad you enjoyed my walking tour of Sydney. It will soon be Summer in Sweden and when it is, it'll be Winter here in Australia. However, what we call "Winter" in Australia, is probably more like Summer in some places. We have a very mild Winter in Oz.  :D

Lucky for you Kerry! Some of us have suffered through this winter.

Oh, we've suffered.  >:(  >:(  :P

And we can't wait for spring to arrive! :D

And I also can't wait to move back to South Florida sometime soon! ;)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 08:45:29 am »

My most vivid memory of Sydney is of the white parrots in the trees.

They are Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, Clarissa. They're as big as hens and are very noisy, aggressive, bad tempered birds. Flocks of them regularly fly past my window, squawking loudly. They look nice but sound terrible. They make a terrible din.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 08:49:49 am »
Lucky for you Kerry! Some of us have suffered through this winter.

Oh, we've suffered.  >:(  >:(  :P

And we can't wait for spring to arrive! :D

And I also can't wait to move back to South Florida sometime soon! ;)

I hope your wish for a South Florida relocation comes true for you, David!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2008, 09:56:44 am »
Thank you very much for this thread Kerry. I have never been to Australia, I have enjoyed seeing a part of Sidney through your eyes very much, rather then through the pictures in a book.

It might have been posted and I might have missed it, how large would you say Heath's portrait is?

sel
BbM, I swear

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2008, 06:29:45 pm »
Thank you very much for this thread Kerry. I have never been to Australia, I have enjoyed seeing a part of Sidney through your eyes very much, rather then through the pictures in a book.

It might have been posted and I might have missed it, how large would you say Heath's portrait is?

sel

Ooh, that's a hard one, sel.   ???

There is no such thing as a small painting in the Archibald. It seems to be a requirement of entry, to paint a large canvas.  ::)

Having said that, however, the portrait of Heath wasn't huge. Certainly, not as big as the winning entry, as I recall.

I find it very difficult to judge painting size in a vast, open, empty gallery space, with high ceilings. Such a setting seems to make all paintings appear smaller than they are.  :-\

I've guessed painting sizes in similar settings in the past and have been waaay out, so would prefer not to has it a guess. Suffice to say that it's not the biggest canvas there and nor is it the smallest.

One of the most striking thing about Heath's portrait is that it's painted on a horizontal canvas, usually used for landscapes.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2008, 07:19:00 pm »
Kerry....I have seen this thread popping up on my "unread threads" list, and only today did I finally visit....

What a beautiful scope of Sydney you have photographed and shared with our friends overseas, and the response you have received is due credit to you.

As an ex-Sydney sider myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the walk throug Hyde Park up to the Gallery (even felt a bit homesick). Thank you.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2008, 07:28:45 pm »
Kerry....I have seen this thread popping up on my "unread threads" list, and only today did I finally visit....

What a beautiful scope of Sydney you have photographed and shared with our friends overseas, and the response you have received is due credit to you.

As an ex-Sydney sider myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the walk throug Hyde Park up to the Gallery (even felt a bit homesick). Thank you.

Ta muchly for your feedback, Sue. Glad you enjoyed it.  :D 

(Sorry for making you homesick)  :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2008, 03:37:38 am »
Ooh, that's a hard one, sel.   ???

There is no such thing as a small painting in the Archibald. It seems to be a requirement of entry, to paint a large canvas.  ::)

Having said that, however, the portrait of Heath wasn't huge. Certainly, not as big as the winning entry, as I recall.

I find it very difficult to judge painting size in a vast, open, empty gallery space, with high ceilings. Such a setting seems to make all paintings appear smaller than they are.  :-\

I've guessed painting sizes in similar settings in the past and have been waaay out, so would prefer not to has it a guess. Suffice to say that it's not the biggest canvas there and nor is it the smallest.

One of the most striking thing about Heath's portrait is that it's painted on a horizontal canvas, usually used for landscapes.  :D

Thank you Kerry,
I was hoping it would be a large canvas. Let's hope it will travel the world.
BbM, I swear

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2008, 05:15:19 am »
sel

Hi Sel,
obviously I haven't been there, but on HHH MaineWriter has posted a photo of the artist with his work. It gives a good impression of the size:

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2008, 05:25:33 am »
Thank you  Penthesilea and MaineWriter!
That  photo gives a very good idea of how large the canvas is.
BbM, I swear

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2008, 11:53:59 pm »
Thank you  Penthesilea and MaineWriter!
That  photo gives a very good idea of how large the canvas is.

I personally don't agree that big = best when it comes to fine art.  :-\

For example, take a look at the hideous monstrosity that won the Archibald this year:

Even the title is an over-winded, pretentious wank - "You are what is most beautiful about me, a self portrait with Kell and Arella." Yetch!  :P

By comparison, Vincent Fantauzzo's painting is succinctly titled "Heath."  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2008, 01:54:28 pm »
Hi Kerry,
I agree with you: large doesn't necesserily means best. However, because of the three Heaths I thought that  something on a larger scale would represent this very original portrait better. Although I love going to art exibitions, museums, unfortunately I am no art expert.

I don't like the picture who won first prize at all.  I'd  really like someone to explain to me the criteria they use to choose the winner!

BbM, I swear

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2008, 11:24:17 pm »
Hi Kerry,
I agree with you: large doesn't necesserily means best. However, because of the three Heaths I thought that  something on a larger scale would represent this very original portrait better. Although I love going to art exibitions, museums, unfortunately I am no art expert.

I don't like the picture who won first prize at all.  I'd  really like someone to explain to me the criteria they use to choose the winner!

From what I understand, sel, the terms of the Archibald bequest state that an annual prize is to be awarded to the best portrait painting, preferentially of some man or woman distinguished in Art, Letters, Science or Politics. Both artist and subject must be Australasian and the painting must have been painted from life (not from a photograph) in the past 12 (?24?) months.

Many unknown artists get around the requirement to paint "some man or woman distinguished in Art, Letters, Science or Politics" by submitting self portraits. The rationale being that the very fact that they have been chosen to hang in the Archibald makes them "distinguished."

Click here for more information about the Archibald Prize:

http://www.thearchibaldprize.com.au/home

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2008, 04:54:43 pm »
Hi Kerry,
Living in Italy and not knowing much about Autralia, apart from Heath I don't know (as in having never heard of) any of the Autralian personalites taking part at this year exibition.
In any case I find Heath's portrait the most original.
BbM, I swear

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2008, 05:38:08 pm »
Hi Kerry,
Living in Italy and not knowing much about Autralia, apart from Heath I don't know (as in having never heard of) any of the Autralian personalites taking part at this year exibition.
In any case I find Heath's portrait the most original.

Me too, sel. I love the triple portrait of Heath and think it should have won. I saw the director of the Art Gallery of NSW, Edmund Capon, interviewed on TV on the night of the announcement and he said he had never see such a close race before. Apparently, the Trustees were in lock-down and couldn't decide between the two paintings for the longest time. I suspect it was sentimentality  that eventually won the day.  :-\   :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2008, 08:18:09 am »

Yee-Haw! It has just been announced that the Vincent Fantauzzo portrait of Heath won the People's Choice Award in this year's Archibald Prize.  :D

Visitors to the exhibition have the opportunity to vote for the painting they think should have won the Archibald Prize. Many thousands of people voted this year and it was the portrait of Heath that won!  :D

Go here to the official Archibald Prize website to read all about it:

http://www.thearchibaldprize.com.au/winners/peoples_choice
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2008, 10:01:53 am »
Thank you Kerry! I am  absolutely delighted that Heath's portrait won the People's choice award.
It is a really a nice gesture from his mother to donate it to the gallery for all to see and appreciate. I ardently hope the gallery will make it travel around the world.

BbM, I swear

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2008, 11:02:24 am »
That's great news, Kerry!  I think that painting deserves all the attention it can get.  I'm not at all surprised it was the popular favorite.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2008, 12:48:16 pm »

A couple of Masterpieces (times 3 = 6):

;D

"Camping Out"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2008, 10:31:01 pm »

A couple of Masterpieces (times 3 = 6):

;D

Thank you for posting the breathtakingly beautiful "Charles I, King of England, from Three Angles" of ca. 1636 by Sir Anthony van Dyck. (How could they have chopped off that beautiful head?) It's one of my favourite portraits of all time and I personally consider it to be one of the greatest portraits ever painted IMHO. I love it. It is majesty made manifest. And in its own way, I believe Vincent Fantauzzo's portrait of Heath to be an equally majestic work of great art. Dare I say that generations from now, when the name of Heath Ledger is forgotten, his portrait will survive and will still be admired.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2008, 01:27:29 am »
Good find, John!  

Thanks for posting, Kerry.  That link has a place where you can click to buy a 68.5 x 50.5 cm poster of the painting for $25 (Australian, I assume).  I'd be interested to hear if any of you buy it.  I don't think I will, just because while I'm pretty fascinated by it, I don't think I'd put it up.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2008, 02:00:17 am »
Good find, John! 

Thanks for posting, Kerry.  That link has a place where you can click to buy a 68.5 x 50.5 cm poster of the painting for $25 (Australian, I assume).  I'd be interested to hear if any of you buy it.  I don't think I will, just because while I'm pretty fascinated by it, I don't think I'd put it up.

I did see that link to the poster, Elle. I won't be getting the poster myself. Even though I love the painting, I don't have a place to hang it at present. I will be visiting the Archibald again next Wednesday. If there are any postcards of Heath's painting in the gift shop, I will be getting one for myself. If anyone would like me to get a postcard for them and post it to them, send me a PM with your home address and I will gladly do so (subject to availability).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2008, 07:27:52 am »
Kerry, Elle, I'm glad you like the juxtaposition! I really, really love Heath's triple portrait. I'm convinced that Vincent Fantauzzo's references to the Van Dyck are not merely subliminal resonances, but purposeful. The hair, the eyes, the hands (especially the hands!), the Van Dyck beards, Heath's lustrous skin looking like Charles's silks, the tattoos and the lace--so brilliant.

I'll just add one more, to round out three times three for symmetry. Although there are other reasons, I really do believe that Heath will live on in the history (and maybe evolution!) of Art.

Triple Portrait of Cardinal de Richelieu (1585 - 1642)
CHAMPAIGNE, Philippe de (26 May 1602 - 12 August 1674)
probably 1642, Oil on canvas 58.4 x 72.4 cm, The National Gallery, London
Inscribed over the central head: "Celui cy...plus/Resamblant au naturel"; and over the right head: "De ces deux profilz
c[elui]/cy est le meilleur"

(Love the tags! Ah me, cynical spider Richelieu was another type altogether (the hands are hidden!) than the poor, doomed Charles--or vulnerable Heath--)

:(

"Camping Out"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2008, 10:17:32 am »
Kerry's Second Visit to Heath
at the Archibald

It may be necessary to scroll over ------>

I again park in Goulburn Street and walk up the Elizabeth Street hill towards Sydney's Central Business District. Instead of cutting across Hyde Park towards the Art Gallery of New South Wales, however, this time I continue walking north along Elizabeth Street, keeping Hyde Park on my right. I walk past Sydney's Great Synagogue and come to the intersection of King & Elizabeth Streets. This is a view looking westward down King Street. The canopy outside the Theatre Royal can be seen on the right, in between the second and third "Phantom of the Opera" banners

I come to the intersection of Elizabeth Street and Martin Place, located in the very heart of Sydney's Central Business District. Directly ahead of me, Elizabeth Street continues along its circuitous route, ultimately leading to Sydney Harbour. I have a 2 p.m. appointment with my superannuation fund manager in George Street, so will turn left into Martin Place here.

Castlereagh Street

Martin Place with the bell tower of the old General Post Office building (now the Westin Hotel) on the left. It's autumn here in Australia and lots of the trees have lost their leaves.

I stop to admire the statue of Queen Victoria above the main entrance of the old General Post Office building in Martin Place. She has cherubim above her head and sitting at left is Britania in her helmet. There is an unidentified goddess holding a cornucopia of plenty at right. Beneath that is the rampant lion and unicorn of the British Empire.

I meet with my superannuation fund manager and retrace my footsteps up Martin Place towards Macquarie Street and thence to the Art Gallery of New South Wales, where Heath awaits.

It was very crowded when last I visited Heath, but there aren't a lot of people at the gallery today. This time I can walk right up to Heath's face and look him straight in the eyes. He looks fixedly back at me with determination and enormous saddness. On my last visit, I hadn't appreciated how very sad Heath's eyes are in this painting, probably because I wasn't able to get so close to the portrait last time, with all the people milling about (the exhibition had just opened). I view the other portraits in the Archibald but keep coming back to Heath over and over again. I am fixated by the melancholic expression of sad resignation in his beautiful, warm brown eyes. I lean in close. I see the freckles on his nose. His full, moist, sensuous lips. His pretty eyebrows. His soft flowing hair. The tatoos. The "Matilda" tatoo. I experience an overpowering feeling of pathos and remorse and I start to cry. I'm crying, standing right there in the middle of that public gallery. Not noisy sobs, but there are tears.  I feel overcome with grief. A young woman comes and stands near me. She stands quite closely alongside me. I suspect she may have seen my tears and has come over to give me comfort. I get very strong, sympathetic vibes from her.  I return to Heath several times before reluctantly departing the gallery.

As I depart the gallery via the western portico, I look across the Domain, through the trees, to the skyscrapers of the city beyond, with the setting sun illuminating the sky behind them.

With heavy heart, I trudge back to my car. Along the way, I pass by the great statue of Queen Victoria located outside the High Court in Macquarie Street.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 08:32:17 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2008, 10:24:47 am »
Thank you, Kerry, for the report of your visit.  Very moving indeed. 

I was struck by the contrast between the sad vulnerability in Heath's portrait and the stark determination of Queen Victoria.

Here's another hug for comfort:  {{{Kerry}}}

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2008, 10:31:38 am »
((((((Kerry))))))

Thank you for taking us along with you to see Heath.  You're right, his eyes express the sadness of the world.  :'(

Sydney looks like a terrific city.  I hope I get to visit one day.  Now that Heath's portrait has been donated to the museum, maybe I can see it, too.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2008, 10:32:50 am »
Thank you, Kerry, for the report of your visit.  Very moving indeed. 

I was struck by the contrast between the sad vulnerability in Heath's portrait and the stark determination of Queen Victoria.

Here's another hug for comfort:  {{{Kerry}}}

Thank you, Paul. I really do need that hug right now. I'm still feeling very vulnerable.

[[[Paul]]]
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2008, 10:35:27 am »
((((((Kerry))))))

Thank you for taking us along with you to see Heath.  You're right, his eyes express the sadness of the world.  :'(

Sydney looks like a terrific city.  I hope I get to visit one day.  Now that Heath's portrait has been donated to the museum, maybe I can see it, too.  8)

You will love Sydney, Meryl. It is a beautiful city. And you will love the portrait of Heath, too. I have no doubt that you will get to see it one day.

[[[Meryl]]]
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2008, 12:38:57 pm »
Thank you, Kerry, for a lovely walkabout--beautiful!

Thank you, also, for "looking out" for Heath for us. I know if the painting was in my city, I'd be visiting, too--frequently! I'm so glad it was given to the museum.  :)

The Roman goddess on the right is Copia, the goddess of wealth and plenty, with her attribute, the cornucopia. Well, actually, Pax and Fortuna also carried the cornucopia, so you can take your pick (we know about Roman goddesses in New York, too, we got a lot of'em)!

Enjoy a wonderful Autumn as we are having a lovely Spring--

Cheers!

John

"Camping Out"

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2008, 04:31:35 pm »

Thank you for the detailed tour and heartfelt commentary, Kerry.  I felt like I was there.

Susie

Glad you enjoyed it, Susie.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2008, 04:39:35 pm »
Thank you, Kerry, for a lovely walkabout--beautiful!

Thank you, also, for "looking out" for Heath for us. I know if the painting was in my city, I'd be visiting, too--frequently! I'm so glad it was given to the museum.  :)

The Roman goddess on the right is Copia, the goddess of wealth and plenty, with her attribute, the cornucopia. Well, actually, Pax and Fortuna also carried the cornucopia, so you can take your pick (we know about Roman goddesses in New York, too, we got a lot of'em)!

Enjoy a wonderful Autumn as we are having a lovely Spring--

Cheers!

John

Thank you for that information, John. The group of statues is very large and located above the huge main entrance of the Westin Hotel (previously the GPO). The only way I could get that detail was by using my camera's zoom facility. The Archibald will close on Sunday and then tour Australia. After that, Heath will return to his new permanent home in the Art Gallery of New South Wales, here in Sydney. I will call by and say "Hi!" to him whenever I visit the gallery in future.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2008, 02:28:08 am »
(((Kerry)))
Thank you. It's wonderful to (virtually) accompany you through your city and to share your visit to Heath.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2008, 03:30:39 am »
Kerry, what gorgeous light and buildings.  Big hug for you.  These shared experiences are so lovely and poignant.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2008, 04:41:03 am »
(((Kerry)))
Thank you. It's wonderful to (virtually) accompany you through your city and to share your visit to Heath.

I had you all with me yesterday, Chrissi.

[[[Chrissi]]]
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2008, 04:42:30 am »
Aww Kerry!! :-*

You went again!!

{{{{KERRY}}}}

Those are BEAUTIFUL pictures sweet baby!! Thanks so much for sharing them with us! :D

Thank you kindly, David. I had a very good teacher.  ;)   :)

[[[David]]]
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2008, 04:56:51 am »
Kerry, what gorgeous light and buildings.  Big hug for you.  These shared experiences are so lovely and poignant.

I intend continuing to share my future visits to Heath with all my Brokie friends. Now that the painting has been given as a gift to the Art Gallery of New South Wales, it is my intention to visit Heath each year on his birthday in future and leave one single flower on the floor beneath his portrait. It will become a sweet, loving ritual for me to perform each year, to ensure Heath is always cherished and to express my love and appreciation. You will all be with me when I do so.

[[[Elle]]]
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2008, 06:24:48 pm »
Thank you very much Kerry for reporting back about your visit at the Archibold. I feel as I if I have been there myself.
BbM, I swear

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2008, 08:21:53 am »
Thank you very much Kerry for reporting back about your visit at the Archibold. I feel as I if I have been there myself.

It was my pleasure, sel. And it was great to have you along with me,  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2008, 08:54:48 am »

From TIME magazine 26 May 2008 edition:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν