Author Topic: what do you stand for?  (Read 6587 times)

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
what do you stand for?
« on: March 08, 2008, 11:10:18 pm »
i was thinking about all the things people make a stand for, and i wanted to know what folks here at bettermost stood for.  (i.e. M.A.D.D., animal rights, minority equality, anti war, etc....)
have you protested anything?
what charities mean a lot to you, or what ones do you support financially?
what social injustices make you angry?
if you could change the world, what would you put a stop to?

where i live, there's a lot of strife between loggers and treehuggers (sorry for the slang).

drinking & driving, and bullying are two of many things i really get upset about, and wish i could put a stop to.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: what do you stand for?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 11:50:33 pm »
I stand for humanity!

Freedom!

Justice for all too!

And much more, like we all do!!
And LOVE!!

Hugs! (And for hugs too!!)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:41:01 am »
No, I have rarely protested anything, altho I have been teargassed a time or two. But once I was asked about what one word I would like to have incised on my gravestone and I said "Communicator" (which is what I do in my job and it's a big part of my personal life too, especially with my two children)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 02:04:31 am »
Great thread forsythia! :)

This is a big question for sure!

The main social injustice issue that I feel the most passionately about (and most consistently throughout my life) is anything to do with women's rights.  Issues surrounding injustices and violence against women (both in the U.S. and internationally) literally can keep me awake at night.

Other things that I feel passionately about are GLBT rights, the environment and peace/anti-war issues. 

In the past I have gone to anti-war demonstrations.  Actually, when I was in high school a really large group of students staged an old-fashioned "walk out" to protest the first Gulf War, and I participated in that (it was probably the first demonstration I was involved in).  I've also participated in demonstrations having to do with the environment (again in high school I was really active in our environmental club... and I recall some minor/local protests that we were involved with).  And, I've actually participated in two pride parades during grad school when I lived in Philly.  And, I've been to one or two other rallies having to do with gay rights in college and grad school.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 02:38:45 am »
No, I have rarely protested anything, altho I have been teargassed a time or two. But once I was asked about what one word I would like to have incised on my gravestone and I said "Communicator" (which is what I do in my job and it's a big part of my personal life too, especially with my two children)

teargassed for what front ranger??????????????????
 :)

thanks for the reply

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 02:42:04 am »
Great thread forsythia! :)

This is a big question for sure!

The main social injustice issue that I feel the most passionately about (and most consistently throughout my life) is anything to do with women's rights.  Issues surrounding injustices and violence against women (both in the U.S. and internationally) literally can keep me awake at night.

Other things that I feel passionately about are GLBT rights, the environment and peace/anti-war issues. 

In the past I have gone to anti-war demonstrations.  Actually, when I was in high school a really large group of students staged an old-fashioned "walk out" to protest the first Gulf War, and I participated in that (it was probably the first demonstration I was involved in).  I've also participated in demonstrations having to do with the environment (again in high school I was really active in our environmental club... and I recall some minor/local protests that we were involved with).  And, I've actually participated in two pride parades during grad school when I lived in Philly.  And, I've been to one or two other rallies having to do with gay rights in college and grad school.

wow.  you have a lot of passion for things.  that's great.
keep posting here with your thoughts on issues, as i'd like to hear more.

is the enviornment something most people where you live feel passionatley for?  like i said earlier, it's very mixed here.  i think everyone cares, but there's a lot of jobs, such as logging that we see here, and spats about watershed damage due to the loggers practices.
thanks amanda!

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 07:09:58 am »

Took the words right out of my mouth. lol In the past I've attended London's annual Pride march, and in my college days I was fairly active in the student union's GLBT society and generally got myself into loads of trouble attending local protests and leafleting etc. lol! In those days I was young and naive and thought that we could change the world if we shouted loud enough.

I do feel very strongly about environmental issues though, along with peace/anti-war issues, though I don't really get involved much apart from signing online petitions and stuff.

These days financially I suppose a couple of deaf charities, a subject close to me as I've lost some hearing due to my medical problems. For the past few years I've been active in local deaf charities, being treasurer for one and getting involved with running education and training courses for deaf people, and deaf awareness with the general public. I have lots of deaf friends through the work I've been involved with, so I've seen many of the issues deaf people face first hand. I'm lucky that though I now use hearing aids, my hearing loss is relatively mild and I still have a fair amount of "natural hearing" left. I'm still fairly active in local disability rights organisations generally, and it's mainly in the disability rights/disability support networks that I'm active these days.

I also financially support the international research charity, based in the US, that works with the rare neurological problem that's caused most of my difficulties. It's the only international organisation working to support research into the condition, so it's work is vital. I'm also working at the moment to set up a UK charity for the condition with members from my support forum, to raise awareness of the condition, and to further support the international organisation's work. 

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 11:07:02 am »
teargassed for what front ranger??????????????????
 :)

thanks for the reply
It was just a common occurence during those times at the place I went to university. One time I was in my apartment just down the street from the student union and police released teargas right on the street, so I was driven out of my home!! Ran down the hill to some friends' house and chilled there. Another time, I was in the computer center, waiting for my boyfriend to get off work. The computer center was teargassed and we all had to leave. Apparently the police thot it was a subversive place in those times!! This was the same summer as Kent, Ohio.

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 11:12:16 am »
This was the same summer as Kent, Ohio.

Sorry to sound dumb, but what's Kent, Ohio? (I'm a UK'er  ;))

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 11:21:29 am »
Sorry to sound dumb, but what's Kent, Ohio? (I'm a UK'er  ;))

Thanks for asking! Kent State University was where four college students were killed by police during the Vietnam War riots. It was a pivotal experience of my young adulthood. Read more about it here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,1157.msg63032.html#msg63032

and our friend johngallagher also posted some good info about it here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,3351.msg63773.html#msg63773

I'm surprised we haven't had a similar situation with the Iraq War! But I guess students are lulled into serenity by their ipods or whatever today. Plus they have no rabble-rousing musicians like Crosby Stills Nash and Young!