Author Topic: my favorite little line....  (Read 7975 times)

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
my favorite little line....
« on: March 09, 2008, 03:10:25 am »
"THEY CAME TOGETHER ON PAPER AS HERDER AND CAMP TENDER....."

i just love this line.  the fact that they were 'on paper' together.  they're names...ennis delmar and jack twist on the same peice of paper.  before they even knew each other, they were together on paper.

they're names were also on their post cards, which again, is paper........like the only documentation of their relationship.

any thoughts?

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
Re: my favorite little line....
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 06:25:44 am »
I have to say I've never particularly paid much attention to that line before, but yeah, put like that, it's special. Nice. Nice too that their postcards document the course of their relationship. Only small pieces of paper, but something else that binds them over the years.

I think I'm going to make that my happy thought for the day.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 02:07:20 pm »
I have to say I've never particularly paid much attention to that line before, but yeah, put like that, it's special. Nice. Nice too that their postcards document the course of their relationship. Only small pieces of paper, but something else that binds them over the years.

I think I'm going to make that my happy thought for the day.

yeah, that line just always stuck out to me.  maybe the fact that they could never get 'married' or that no one really witnesses their love (regardless of alm and agguire catching them).
the paper just means so much to me.  i'm not sure why.
i just liked the fact that their names were on paper together FIRST.  like ,......it was meant to be, or something. 
i think about that peice of paper.  i think about it in agguire's trash can after the boys were hired.....and i just love the symbolism in that.
any thoughts on this?

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 03:32:08 pm »
I guess it's like there is some physical proof out there of their relationship (in that paper trail), and on that piece of paper.

It's a while since I read the story, but I just pulled out my copy of the book and read the first section again, and now I've seen it, that line does jump out at me. It's a kind of hint of what's to come. Like you say it's as though even before they met they were fated to be together somehow.

After your earlier post I had to stick the DVD on again and watch that scene (even though I watched it last night). Again, I've never paid that much notice of the scene in Agguire's office, but yeah, the paper in Agguire's trash can sums up Agguire's view of their relationship all the way through and so much more.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 03:41:28 pm »
yeah.  i totally agree.  i  mean i don't know what he did with the piece of paper, but i'm sure it was thrown out with all his cigarrette butts, in some trashcan.  i just think it's neat.  on paper......

...sigh...

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 03:44:12 pm »
I like that!

Very cool observation.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Sashca1007

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 02:07:00 pm »
Thanks for bringing that to our attention, Forsythia, I like that idea.  Now I'm thinkin' ....  the postcards that the boys sent to each other - what do you imagine they did with them?  Do you think either of them kept their collection of postcards all together in a special location?  Or, do you think they disposed of them after they read them so as not to leave a trail?  Of course, their wives most likely saw all of them, the cards themselves weren't a secret....  just the nature of the 'fishing trips'.   ;)    Personally, I'd love to imagine that they each kept every one of them sent over the course of those twenty years.  We do know that Ennis kept at least one of them.   :'(
"From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 02:30:31 pm »
We do know that Ennis kept at least one of them.   :'(

Huh, Sashca??

It's interesting that you bring up paper and  cigarette butts. We also know that Aguirre's hair is the color of ash. Foreshadowing of the way Jack would end up, perhaps?? :'(
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: my favorite little line.... (spoilers)
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 03:45:06 pm »
Wowsa, Lee, that's one heck of a stretch with the color of Aguirre's hair and the cremation of Jack.  I'm going to have to think about that one.  Hmmmm....

Sashca1007, there've been other posts on this board, theorizing what the two did with their respective postcards.  Truth is, we just don't know, but some of the members have come up with interesting theories.

I personally love the fact that the first words spoken in the movie are "You pair..."

Set up right from the start...
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 05:26:24 pm »
I personally love the fact that the first words spoken in the movie are "You pair..."

Set up right from the start...

Yeah, that's nice. Like the "they came together on paper" it sets the tone right from the start.

I like to think they'd have kept the postcards. Nothing 'incriminating' was ever written on them so far as we know. Being a romantic and keeping the shirts and all I think Jack would have kept them - some kind of concrete evidence of his relationship with Ennis, and Ennis, well yeah, I think he probably would have as well.

Offline optom3

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 05:32:32 pm »
Thanks for bringing that to our attention, Forsythia, I like that idea.  Now I'm thinkin' ....  the postcards that the boys sent to each other - what do you imagine they did with them?  Do you think either of them kept their collection of postcards all together in a special location?  Or, do you think they disposed of them after they read them so as not to leave a trail?  Of course, their wives most likely saw all of them, the cards themselves weren't a secret....  just the nature of the 'fishing trips'.   ;)    Personally, I'd love to imagine that they each kept every one of them sent over the course of those twenty years.  We do know that Ennis kept at least one of them.   :'(

In the S.S Ennis does not keep the postcard, (s) he has to go to to Higgins gift shop,after he gets back fro the meeting with Jack's parent, and as the owner does not have a card of BBM she has to order it in for him.When it arrives he pins it up in his trailer"brass headed tack in each corner.Below it he drove a nail and on the nail he hung the wire hanger and the two old shirts suspended from it"
I do not know if jack ever even got a card from ennis,as the only one mentioned that Ennis sends him is the one he gets back stamped deceased.

Offline optom3

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 05:35:10 pm »
My favourite line is Jack saying to Ennis ,redlined it all the way here,and then just grinning!!!!

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 05:39:40 pm »
My favourite line is Jack saying to Ennis ,redlined it all the way here,and then just grinning!!!!

I love that one too. The line's a good one, but the line and then the grin - magic!

Offline optom3

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 06:35:40 pm »
Oh, and another TS2 when Jack says "it's all right, it's all right.Deep bliss

I could watch that scene over and over,actually who am I kidding I do!!!!!

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 12:45:18 pm »
Yeah, that's nice. Like the "they came together on paper" it sets the tone right from the start.

I like to think they'd have kept the postcards. Nothing 'incriminating' was ever written on them so far as we know. Being a romantic and keeping the shirts and all I think Jack would have kept them - some kind of concrete evidence of his relationship with Ennis, and Ennis, well yeah, I think he probably would have as well.

Yes,that's what Í was thinking of right now...Of course I guess both of them,and mainly Jack,have kept them their postcards.They would be like each other's souvenir,a kind of relic that they would keep in that little space that all we reserved for the tangible things that bring beautiful memories to us.
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline optom3

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 07:49:03 pm »
Another little line I love is only in the S.S and I wish it wa in the film!!!! At theend of the  reunion kiss Ennis says "llittle darlin" to Jack. I so wish that had been in the film.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 07:58:37 pm »
One of my favourite lines, and one that always makes me smile is when Ennis stands at the top of the stairs, and says....."Jack, Fucking Twist"......

It is said with such happiness, and a deep underlying affection, and it just feels and sounds good....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 09:48:39 pm »
Yes, Katie, the anticipation after four years and the gleeful happiness of Ennis at the top of those stairs, let alone at the BOTTOM of those stairs, is my favorite scene in the film.  Good golly molly, I've had a ton of great kisses in my lifetime, but I wouldn't compare a single one of them to that one.  Love, love, love, love, love....
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 11:41:52 am »
Another little line I love is only in the S.S and I wish it wa in the film!!!! At theend of the  reunion kiss Ennis says "llittle darlin" to Jack. I so wish that had been in the film.

I wonder why that line didn't make it into the movie? I'd love to know.

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 12:10:56 pm »

Yes,Bliss,I´d love to know it also...IMO,the Ennis from the s.s. is more tender,or at least,more aware of his feelings,more demonstrative in some way,that the Ennis from the movie.I would have been nice if it had been included¡, :)
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline optom3

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 07:56:28 pm »

I would have simply melted if Ennis had said that to Jack.It is the closest he comes in the s.s to an endearment.I think in the film it would have been so powerful.The intense passion of the kiss,followed by those 2 little words.Utter bliss!!!!

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 10:58:27 am »
I would have simply melted if Ennis had said that to Jack.

With you on that one.