Author Topic: ODDS and ENDS  (Read 8255 times)

Offline BBMGrandma

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Jack....I swear.....
ODDS and ENDS
« on: March 16, 2006, 04:14:32 am »
Hi My Friends...

I thought I'd open this new site....just for STUFF about Brokeback that we want to share!!   ODDS and ENDS!! 

I've been sitting here for AGES reading a whole bunch of articles from waaaaaaaaaay back.  Stuff that had somehow passed me by.  VERY interesting stuff about Brokeback....Ennis....Jack...!!
If you've seen these...sorry!!  If you HAVEN'T...be prepared for a bunch of reading!!! 

ENJOY!!!   http://film.guardian.co.uk/Film_Page/0,,1576155,00.html
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
Re: ODDS and ENDS
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 08:24:10 pm »
HI peeeps.....good day to everyone...

Just a silly little thing I noticed at my last viewing of "our" movie...

When Aguirre rides into camp....Jack is chopping wood....right?  JUST as Aguirre rides up...Jack sits a log onto the stump....upright....!!  He turns as Aguirre talks to him....and listens.  When Jack TURNS back around....as Aguirre leaves...the piece of upright wood is GONE!!  The stump is bare!!!  OOOOPSIE!!  LOL

Odd the things that a person notices....huh?

Just a little faux pas....that I picked up on!!!

Check it out....when next you go to see our "boys"

Hugssssssss....warm wishes....Nancy  :-*
"If we never dream....we'll never have a dream come true"   (me...myself...and I)

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Ain't no reins on this one . . .
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 04:08:19 am »
You know what goofy little thing I've kept noticing the last couple of times I saw it?  In the scene in Jack's room, Ennis picks up the little cowboy figurine that is on Jack's desk, then he sets it back down again, but the next time we view the desk-top, after Ennis has gone into the closet, the figurine is not seen.
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 04:24:18 pm »
Along the lines of odds and ends, here's something I'd like some feedback about....
When Ennis, Cassie, & Alma, Jr. are at the bar, Cassie and Ennis dance.  The woman dancing with her partner next to them has tattoos that look to cover her entire back.  I've been obsessing about what this could possibly signify :-)  I have a few off-the-wall ideas, but I'd love to hear yours first...I'm probably over-analyzing.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 04:34:27 pm »
.  The woman dancing with her partner next to them has tattoos that look to cover her entire back. 

LOL Lynne....I THINK it just means that she's a wee bit freaky!!  !  LOL  You're so cute Lynne...LOve ya to pieces!!! ;D

Hugssssssssss....Nancy

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 09:39:55 pm »
Lynne, would you believe, after 11 viewings, I never noticed the tattoos?  Sheesh!  I can think off hand of a couple of metaphors, like disguising oneself, covering one's true self up, inflicting pain on oneself.  Or, conversely, expressing one's true self, showing off, decorating and glorifying one's body/self. Your guess is as good as mine!  Will this ever end?  Carry on, woman!
Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirty water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowering meadows and the endless coursing wind.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 10:18:49 pm »
Iris & Nancy,

I saw the tattoos my FIRST viewing - they were so startling - but I missed the nuzzle, so what could I know?!  Between the two of you, maybe you'll keep me in some neutral, sane place :-)  Being at home with mom is wonderful, but actually accomplishing any work is not yet happening...I'm going to have to start getting up a little earlier than she does for a couple hours of quiet time....Meanwhile evenings need to be for the board here.

OK...the tattoos...I'm going to get there in a roundabout way.

Did you guys see the post about Annie Proulx language being difficult - needing a dictionary, etc?  I need to post back over there, because I did a little research.  In her article about the red carpet being overshadowed by scientology purple in The Guardian, I counted 4 words/allusions I simply could not get...but I brushed past, getting the general idea from context...here are the 4:

1) stentorian - from m-w.com:  extremely loud
2) plangent - from m-w.com:  Etymology: Latin plangent-, plangens, present participle of plangere to strike, lament -- more at PLAINT 1 : having a loud reverberating sound; 2 : having an expressive and especially plaintive quality

The next two gave me fits:
3)culchah - googled it and found a pile of info, but nothing definitive...definitely related to music and may music as a societal music?  It would take three days of intensive reading to really figure this one out.
4)heffalump - not in the dictionary, but seems to refer to a character in an A.A. Milne/Winnie the Pooh story

So all this reasearch reminded me of the dancing tattoo woman which reminded me of a story I read by Flannery O'Conner AGES ago...called Parker's Back.  The gist of the story is that Parker is married to a fundamentalist Christian evangelical woman who abhors his tattoos - she sees them as defiling the temple of God, etc....So Parker gets a giant tattoo of Jesus on his back.  His wife essentially sh*ts monkeys and Parker cannot for the life of him understand why she would object to that tattoo, completely missing out on the whole graven image, blasphemy message his wife has been trying to convey.  Remember Jack & Ennis' innocence about the Pentecost?

So...I'm wondering if McMurtry has read Flannery O'Connor?  I'm sure the answer is yes.  Did he have that in mind?
Or is a tattoo, just a tattoo?

Iris - I think you might be right on with the disguising oneself idea...Is Cassie anything more really than his sincere but misguided attempt to cover up his true self? or redeem himself?

I hope this never ends..I'm listening to my soundtrack..Mom is in bed..it's nice around here tonight.  i wish we had that chat option up and running...I know Phillip will get to it when he can.

BTW...I posted about this site over on www.suzannebrockmann.com's bulletin board.  Her loyal readers have been very active in writing her publishers expressing support for her gay characters...so we may be seeing some of them coming over here perusing.  I'm sorry to say that I was too involved in seeing this movie 19 times to go to that board for the past 3 months.  It's not archived so I don't have a feel about their BBM reactions, but I explained a bit about my experience and our nice warm comfy ladies' corner.

Love y'all.
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 06:28:21 am »
DAMN....I posted this HUGE reply to your post Lynne...and somewhere...SOMEHOW...I lost the friggin thing.  Grrrrrrrrr!!! 

DAMN.....!!  And at the end I said I was soooo tired and couldn't write any more. DUH!!!!!  I'm going to sleep....perhaps my sleepiness has made me a bit....GOOFY!!!

Night all....LOVE YA....Nancy  :-*

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 11:21:53 pm »
Lynne - I thought I had replied to your question, but maybe in some other thread.  I think "culchah" is Annie Proulx' phonetic spelling of a snobbish, British-derived pronunciation of "culture."  I don't have a copy of her letter, so could be wrong about this.  Anyone?  Iris.

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 02:49:44 am »
I'm gonna try this post again....!!!  I'm wide awake now so perhaps I'll get it together a wee bit better now. 

as to CULCHAH~~>[ Even a definition of culture depends on culture. In the German, Scandinavian, and Slavic language groups, the word "culture" tends to mean a particular way of life, whether of a people, a time period, or a group. But in Italian and French, the word refers more to art, learning, and a general process of human development (Williams, 1976a, p. 81). Both meanings exist today as the word is used in English. It is helpful to distinguish so-called high culture (classical music, opera, ballet, art, literature, and so forth) from all processes and products of human activity. High culture is associated with class distinctions and is sometimes put down with the affected pronunciation "culchah" (Williams, 1976). We will use the term culture in its more general social sense to mean the customs of a group or a society.]

Sooooo...seems to me it's just a bastardized pronunciation of Culture...as Iris said.

As far as the Heffalumps...it seems to be a child's mispronunciation of Elephant!! An imaginary character constantly being pursued by Piglet with the help of all the other characters in the Pooh stories.  My niece called them FUFFANTS....when she was a kid. 

As for the tattoos...I almost dropped my teeth when I saw them.  I flashed on that back during my first viewing.  It was really disconcerting to me. My 'take' on it....is that it's a startling reminder that 20 years had past...that we were most definitely in the 80's...and that we were suddenly thrust into the "NOW" rather than the "then."  I know that it REALLY made me sit up and realize that BrokeBack Mountain..and ALL that it signified...was GONE!! But then...when Ennis opens his closet...I was peacefully carried BACK to our Mountain...and the LOVE...mixed with total SORROW!!   It was a totally surreal moment for me.  I had a combination of LOVE and SORROW....both pulling at me at the same time.  I was literally paralyzed in my seat!!  Couldn't move...wanted to smile but the tears were flowing tooo hard.  I was SOO very touched by the love that I was feeling for our 'boys' and at the same time....mourning...deeply. 

There....I finally got THAT out!!  Whew.  Does anyone here feel like they've been dragged through a knothole...when reaching back into the emotions we're feeling?  And at the same time....feel....<searching for the word here> close to being UPLIFTED into some special 'place?' 

Anyway....much love to all.....Nancy  :-*

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 09:04:55 am »
culchah/culture - of course...thank you, ladies.

Nancy - I don't know about being dragged thru a  knothole, perchance you mean chased into a rabbit hole (or was it snake hole?) with a coyote on your tail? :-)

Uplifted and reborn - absolutely.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 01:17:52 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "The heart has reasons that reason cannot know." -
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 02:50:31 pm »
 Hi

I was taken with that little horse in Jacks room too.....so much so I wrote a fan fiction story around it...that and the one Ennis is seen carving....

hugs
Kea
"Within you I lose myself
Without you I find myself
Wanting to be lost again."
-Unknown

Offline iristarr

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 03:11:42 pm »
I would sure like to read your stories that the horse figures inspired, if you'd like to share them.

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 05:34:04 am »

Sure I would love to share them....where do I send them?....I have done Parts 1-3 and am working on a 4th part now...let me know...ok..do I post it here or send it  elsewhere....if posting it here is ok.. I dont mind doing that....

BUT......

I must add that it has coarse language , sex scenes and may not be suitable if  this is a general audience site...let me know Ok...I am too new to know who moderates what yet..so forgive me...

hugs
Kea
-Unknown

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 07:25:45 am »
Hi Kea...and welcome!!  In what format are your stories? If anyone is offended perhaps you could send them to people directly who have their e-mail addresses posted.  What do you think...ladies?  Would you be offended?  Let me know if it's alright with our little group!!  ....

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 09:04:24 am »
Hello

Thank you for the Welcome....the stories are in word format....I just cut and pasted them in for the Yahoo group I  post to...it came out ok....I do the chapters as I write them...good fun really....

just let me know...if you want BB Grandma...I can post email the first part to you for you to take a look at......and see if its ok for the group...just let me know...ok?

hugs
Kea
-Unknown

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 10:29:01 am »
Kea - I am also very interested in reading your fan fiction if you wouldn't mind....maybe PM Philip for his advice on the best way to post or link to them?  Also, my emaill address is in my profile.
Thanks!
Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 11:47:45 pm »
Hi Lynne and Iris

Ok...sent part one off to you both....let me know if you want to read more.... can never tell what people will enjoy reading..

I write to deal with my own BBM facination and desire to explore the characters more...

am not a writer...

hugs
Kea ::)
-Unknown

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 12:14:50 am »
am not a writer

Kea - you're selling yourself short!!  I know a writer when I read a writer, but I understand what you're saying about exploring the characters in your head, at least to some degree.  Jack and Ennis are tattooed on my soul.  I'll say something and hear it in one of their voices, I'll look in the rearview mirror and see Ennis walking away.  It's bizarre and fascinating and wonderful how that's happened.  I was talking to Mom about something tonight and gave her Lureen's knowing smile and nod from the Thanksgiving scene...weird.

So..I replied via yahoo about the story; clearly I want more as fast as you can provide it ! :-)

I cannot wait to hear Iris' reaction!!

Hugs back and thank you again SO MUCH!
-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline BBMGrandma

• Jack....I swear.....
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 05:28:28 am »
Hi Kea.....YES YES....I most certainly would like to read your story.  My Email addy is in my profile too.  Thanks!!!!   

Nancy 

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 09:37:02 pm »
Kea,

After I gorged myself on part one, I decided to slow down and savor :-) ....Part 2 is tonight and Part 3 tomorrow...I'm thinking these will get me thru til the DVD release if I manage it properly.  We're now seeing commercials about the DVD release and I keep announcing to my family (mom and brother) that we'll be viewing it weekly at a minimum so prepare themselves  - they just look at me like they're considering which institution I'd prefer....

Thanks again for sharing these - Phillip said elsewhere (Welcome & Introduce yourself thread) that he has a file server available, so that's an idea if you're amenable.

-Lynne
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 09:39:02 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2006, 10:58:34 pm »
Hi Lynne

I am glad you are enjoying them...I wrote part of the 4th part yesterday...am will continue to work on it..I do hope it holds you out till the DVD....I know I need to see the boys daily..either clips on VIDS...they recharge me alot..

and sometimes I let them "talk" thorugh the stories...

I am happy to share the stories with others if you think they would enjoy reading them too...I am not sure about what you mean by the file server..sorry not so computer savy......but if Philip is happy to have the stores on here...that is ok by me...

hugs
Kea
-Unknown

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 10:23:23 am »
Hi

I posted part 4 of the story.....it was very hard to write...very hard to see into their hearts and put words to it...its is very heavy going.....but it was a part I needed to explore in the story...let me know what you think

there are no sex scenes...this is coming....

hugs
Kea 
-Unknown

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 10:59:02 pm »
there are no sex scenes...this is coming....

er...eh...uh...WHEN?   ;D

Just being silly, Kea...I love your stories - you have real insight into these characters.  I was up late re-reading your work on the 4th...DVD release night...could not let it go...it led to a very weird dream, which I may post about later.

Meanwhile, I hope you're well, and post some more when you're able!

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kea

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2006, 01:21:49 am »
Hi Lynne....

...and here I thought it was for the artistic content that you were reading my stories...lol......actually I do like writing those scenes.....it makes me bring ou the sensual , romantic side of myself....

..... hahah......I have been working on some ideas...and trying to find the one that will be just right....

..thank you so much for reading the stories...and giving me feedback...

would love to hear about those dreams....

hugs
Kea
-Unknown

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 05:51:17 pm »
When Jack returns in 1964 to Joe Aguirres trailer the same pickups are parked in the street, early 1950's green International and blue 1960's Ford with horse trailer.
The rusted out truck seen across from the Aguirres trailer would be bearly new if it was built at all in 1963, 1960-1966 GMC.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 02:22:38 pm »
Since we're celebrating BetterMost history today I thought I'd bump some of the really ancient Open Forum threads too.

This dates from March 16, 2006!!!
 :o
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie