Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 324126 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Yeah David, what do you think of the conflict betwixt public art vs. vandalism?  ;D

Has this been discussed already?  I haven't gone through the whole thread.  I'm as liberal as the next guy and probably more so, but I hate graffiti, especially the ridiculous tagging business.  I didn't feel bad at all when, at the end, Zach's mural is being painted over.  :)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
I can see both sides, I really liked his mural, but you know if he had asked to paint it right there, it might have worked out better for all invoved.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
hey guys!

David has seen the movie (how many times now sweetie?) so we can ask him some questions!

;D

Mel

13 times.  :D

Ewww, that's an unlucky number. Maybe I should go watch it again!  :laugh:

Has this been discussed already?  I haven't gone through the whole thread.  I'm as liberal as the next guy and probably more so, but I hate graffiti, especially the ridiculous tagging business.  I didn't feel bad at all when, at the end, Zach's mural is being painted over.  :)

I can't help it. I felt really sorry for Zach when his mural was painted over. I thought it was sad. Some of those downtown buildings are sooooo ugly. Any splash of color at all is an improvement. I like it when people paint murals on those old ugly buildings, but yeah, it probably would have been better if he had asked first. And what's up with that "cat puke" brown color? Of all the colors to choose for a building!  :laugh:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I can see both sides, I really liked his mural, but you know if he had asked to paint it right there, it might have worked out better for all involved.

I liked his mural too,  but getting it painted over by whoever owns the wall it was painted on had to be expected.  I realize that graffiti can give an area a sense of urban bohemia and all that, but most are not exactly works of art, at least not in my neighbourhood. 

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
Well, I guess we knew that Brad Rowe is gay friendly, but-- :o

My Big Break with Brad Rowe
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9QimYAeO5A[/youtube]
Uhm--what is Brad doing, making--eggs??

My Big Break

with Wes Bentley, Chad Lindberg and Brad Rowe

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0999986/

"A desperate filmmaker with no stars, budget or crew resorts to filming his roommates and ends up with the only Hollywood success story caught on camera as it really happened."

"Because this project is categorized as being in production, the data is subject to change; some data could be removed completely."

Or maybe a goof?

If it's real--seems like it might be fun!

;D
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

mvansand76

Oh yeah, and there is Brad's link with Heath Ledger: he used to be Wes Bentley's roommate and Wes was one of Heath's best friends since they made Four Feathers....

*off to watch vid*  ;D

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!

Oh well, OT, but I don't think anybody will mind:

Actor Wes Bentley has joined the band of Hollywood stars paying tribute to Heath Ledger after his tragic death last week.

The Brokeback Mountain star was found dead in his Manhattan apartment last week, with the cause of his unfortunate passing still to be established.

Family and friends recently held a memorial service for the 28-year-old actor and Hollywood greats have since paid tribute to the sad loss of a major acting talent.

American Beauty star Bentley, who co-starred with Ledger in 2002's Four Feathers, has described Ledger as "a vibrant man, a brave actor, a passionate father and a friend forever" in his public statement.

"Heath was an essential piece of my life," he wrote. "At one point we were as close as two people could get without being blood. That closeness came from sharing a similar, life-altering experience in life at a young age where very few could relate and those who could often were pre-occupied with competition."

Ledger had recently completed production as the Joker in Batman sequel The Dark Knight and had been in London filming Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus before returning to New York City.

In a piece for Newsweek, Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan - the last person to complete a movie with the actor - talked of the passion that fuelled Ledger's career.

"He once told me that he liked to wait between jobs until he was creatively hungry. Until he needed it again," Nolan wrote. "He brought that attitude to our set every day. There aren't many actors who can make you feel ashamed of how often you complain about doing the best job in the world. Heath was one of them."

He went on: "I would visualise the screening where we'd have to show him the finished film - sitting three or four rows behind him, watching the movements of his head for clues to what he was thinking about what we'd done with all that he'd given us.

"Now that screening will never be real. I see him every day in my edit suite. I study his face, his voice. And I miss him terribly."

30/01/2008 11:57:59

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/wes%20bentley%20remembers%20heath%20ledger%20as%20a%20friend%20forever_1057895

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

mvansand76

Hi guys!

When I posted this one-shot this morning, I couldn't get on bettermost, so I am posting this here now (just went to see Indiana Jones and it was amazing!)

Haha, I told myself I wouldn't write Shelter fanfic, well there you have it... LOL...

This one-shot is what might have happened after the break-up scene between Zach and Shaun in the car. It involves some internal dialogue and THE conversation between Shaun and Gabe we all thought was sadly missing from the movie, but that could never have been added because they story is from Zach's POV.

http://rightwhere-u-r.livejournal.com/28290.html

Fabienne, I just friended you!  :-*

My lj is friendslocked, just leave me a message here or on one of the non-friendslocked entries on my lj:

http://rightwhere-u-r.livejournal.com

Hope you enjoy...

;D

Mel

Offline violet_salt

• Don't Say Much
Mel, I would love to read your story!

Could you please friend me on LJ?  violet_salt

Thank you!!!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Well, I guess we knew that Brad Rowe is gay friendly, but-- :o

My Big Break with Brad Rowe
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9QimYAeO5A[/youtube]
Uhm--what is Brad doing, making--eggs??

Whoa Dude, I saw this and followed the links and it took a while to get my head around it but damn, this is going to be one amazing documentary, and then some.  I have got to meet Brad Rowe someday, I mean really.

Okay, so I came here to tell you I am so obsessed with this movie, that using the satellite feature of google maps I think Zach and Jeanne's house is at the corner of North Palos Verdes Street and West O'Farrell Street in San Pedro.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."