Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 323907 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Shelter
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 10:48:53 am »
Hey Mel,

you saw this movie online? Can you give me the link? It sounds interesting...
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 07:27:33 pm »
Whoa Dude!

I saw the movie on line, and it's no Brokeback but still it is a warm and affirming romance with the usual second guessing on the part of the main character, Zach, played by Treavor Wright. His love interest, Shawn, played by Brad Rowe (Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss) I thought the plot development and the character development were very good, very believeable. I would like to see another movie made about gay people who were not pretty, lived in Nebraska, but there is nothing wrong with these two fine looking young men and their performance.

And if you are looking for a movie with a happy ending, I would keep the kleenex handy for this one. 
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 07:29:51 pm »
Also, Shelter is the directorial debut for Jonah Markowitz who was a production designer for Quincenera, another gay themed film I saw a while back.

mvansand76

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 03:59:37 am »
Whoa Dude!

I saw the movie on line, and it's no Brokeback but still it is a warm and affirming romance with the usual second guessing on the part of the main character, Zach, played by Treavor Wright. His love interest, Shawn, played by Brad Rowe (Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss) I thought the plot development and the character development were very good, very believeable. I would like to see another movie made about gay people who were not pretty, lived in Nebraska, but there is nothing wrong with these two fine looking young men and their performance.

And if you are looking for a movie with a happy ending, I would keep the kleenex handy for this one. 

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh! I am so happy you liked it as much as I did! :) I had a great, big smile on my face at the end!

;D ;D ;D

Everybody should see this, if you want to know where you can see it online, just PM me, but promise you will also buy the DVD if and when it comes out in your area, so as to support the filmmakers who made this movie in 18 days and on a budget of 400.000 dollars! And with so much love!

• BetterMost Supporter!
It amazes me they made that movie for less than half a million, they certainly should earn it back.

I saw it yesterday and already I am wanting to see it again. I have always liked nmovies that had thei feel to them, a bit worn around the edges, golden in all its characters and plot.

A couple of things I wonder about at this point that repeat viewing might clear up:

*Where does the name Shelter come from? Is this from Zach seeking shelter in Shawn for him and Cody? Like he provides for those around him and finally he accepts help for his own situation? There is the point where he tells his x-girlfriend that all he wanted to do was provide for her and you can tell he feels like he has failed because he couldn't do that.

*After they go surfing the first time Zach tells Shawn he read his book, I am not sure if he is saying "when it first came out" or "when I first came out". If it is the first one it would make more sense because he is not really out. The clip for that is posted here so that would be easy enought to check.

*You see the Dad at the first of the movie but then they take him home and he never appears again. Whats up with that? He was the only character who appeared to be over 30 and they only pay him lip service.

In the movie I thought this song was sung by a female:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcvvdXG8IfM&feature=related[/youtube]

• BetterMost Supporter!
Here is Brad Rowe talking about the gay thing:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1DBFHN-mO4[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 01:29:21 pm by shakestheground »

mvansand76

1. *Where does the name Shelter come from? Is this from Zach seeking shelter in Shawn for him and Cody? Like he provides for those around him and finally he accepts help for his own situation? There is the point where he tells his x-girlfriend that all he wanted to do was provide for her and you can tell he feels like he has failed because he couldn't do that.

2. *After they go surfing the first time Zach tells Shawn he read his book, I am not sure if he is saying "when it first came out" or "when I first came out". If it is the first one it would make more sense because he is not really out. The clip for that is posted here so that would be easy enought to check.

3. *You see the Dad at the first of the movie but then they take him home and he never appears again. Whats up with that? He was the only character who appeared to be over 30 and they only pay him lip service.

4. In the movie I thought this song was sung by a female:

AD1 Yeah, I think you're absolutely right! The key to that scene in the garden is that Zach finds a way to ask for help, and in that way he finds shelter with Shaun.

AD2. He says "When it first came out." Didn't you love in this scene how they kept bumping into each other?

AD3. I have no idea, they really could have left him out altogether, he didn't serve any purpose whatsoever

AD4. No, it's Shane Mack who sings this. I am not fond of his voice and the only song I really like of his in the movie is the one right after the scene in the car where they fight ("At least I loved enough to hurt".)

How do you think Gabe found out about Zach and Shaun?

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
I liked "Shelter" a lot - there's  a wonderful simplicity about it.  As for the Dad, I guess his only purpose is to show just one more person that Zach is responsible for - he's become the parent to everyone, his nephew, his sister and his own dad. 

I'm looking forward to watching it again - I always catch more things on a second viewing!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

• BetterMost Supporter!

How do you think Gabe found out about Zach and Shaun?

I imagine (OMG is this the genisis of Shelter fan fic?) Shaun went back in the house upset and Gabe seen him and asked what is wrong and they had a talk and he told him. I think Gabe was putting two and two together.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
I think Gabe had it figured out pretty quickly. He commented 'great shirt' about the shirt Shaun was wearing when he was working (after Gabe nearly found them in bed together.) I think Shaun quickly put on one of Zach's t-shirt in order to make a quick escape from the house.

And Gabe knew something was going on when he walked into the bedroom. Oh, and I laughed when I saw Shaun and Zach jump out of the bed WEARING THEIR BOXERS!!  ::)  :laugh: That wasn't very realistic I thought. But maybe that's just me of course.  ;)

I liked Gabe, a good man to have as a brother and a friend.

A good movie, I'd like to see it on a bigger screen than my computer screen someday.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'