Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 326918 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
I liked "Shelter" a lot - there's  a wonderful simplicity about it. 

Marie

I like that too, it is simple, yet well written so there are things to ponder.

My initial misunderstanding of "when I came out" lead me to think Zach had already realized his orentation. Now that I know he actually said "when it came out", refering to Shaun's book, makes it a very different story. The way they were bumping in to one another on that path, was so flitatious. I loved it.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

mvansand76

(OMG is this the genisis of Shelter fan fic?)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

::)

Welllllllllll, you never know.... Yeah I am really wondering if Gabe already knew by the time that he saw Zach with Shaun's shirt. But hadn't he not seen his brother in a while, how would he know that that is his shirt?

Oh, and I laughed when I saw Shaun and Zach jump out of the bed WEARING THEIR BOXERS!!  ::)  :laugh: That wasn't very realistic I thought. But maybe that's just me of course.  ;)

A lot of people seem to comment on that, but I didn't think it was that strange. The director said in an interview that with the scene of them in bed (right before Gabe almost finds them there), he was trying to convey how you sometimes just don't want to get out of bed out of laziness and happiness with being with the right person. They might have been in bed all day, only to get out to get food, during which you would put on your boxers.

I liked "Shelter" a lot - there's  a wonderful simplicity about it.  As for the Dad, I guess his only purpose is to show just one more person that Zach is responsible for - he's become the parent to everyone, his nephew, his sister and his own dad. 

I'm looking forward to watching it again - I always catch more things on a second viewing!

Marie

Hey Marie!  :-* I'm so glad you liked the movie as much as I do and that we liked the same things in it. The smile after the first night. The walkie-talkies. "You're my daddy, you're my daddy, you're my daddy...". 

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Yeah I am really wondering if Gabe already knew by the time that he saw Zach with Shaun's shirt. But hadn't he not seen his brother in a while, how would he know that that is his shirt?

I thought that because Gabe was being a bit obvious about his 'nice shirt' comment.

A lot of people seem to comment on that, but I didn't think it was that strange. The director said in an interview that with the scene of them in bed (right before Gabe almost finds them there), he was trying to convey how you sometimes just don't want to get out of bed out of laziness and happiness with being with the right person. They might have been in bed all day, only to get out to get food, during which you would put on your boxers.

Okay, that sounds plausible.

The actors had great chemistry between them I thought.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

mvansand76

The actors had great chemistry between them I thought.

Yeah, I thought so too! It's in the little things, like that goodbye kiss at the door, the walkie-talkie scene at the end, it feels very natural!  :D

mvansand76

Did you all see how in the frisbee scene Shaun can't keep his eyes off Zach when he's talking to Tori? Thought that was a nice detail... I read in an interview that that's what started the idea in the director's mind, seeing two men frisbee at a lake and wondering what they were to each other.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Wow Mel, how many times have you seen it already?  :)

I liked the frisbee scene at the end. I liked that Shaun's hair was longer. Just to show that this wasn't a 'one shot thing' they had going.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 03:12:35 pm by belbbmfan »
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

• BetterMost Supporter!
Yeah, frisbees in the begining and the end, dang I know what I will be doing tonight.

mvansand76

Wow Mel, how many times have you seen it already?  :)

I liked the frisbee scene at the end. I liked that Zach's hair was longer. Just to show that this wasn't a 'one shot thing' they had going.

Uhmmmmm.... gokje wagen om te raden hoeveel?   ;)

Yeah, I liked that his hair was longer too. No one-shot thing, that's for sure!

Yeah, frisbees in the begining and the end, dang I know what I will be doing tonight.

Let me guess. Watch the movie again?  ;D

• BetterMost Supporter!
You Bet!  ;)

mvansand76

Wish I had it on DVD already so I could watch it on our new big plasma TV!  :P