Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 323955 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Hello, Shakestheground--

Hi, if it's me who posted the three reviews (New York Times, SFChronicle, etc.), I'm John, not Jim (as in john michael maurice gallagher, but whatever--

Thanks for starting the thread in the first place, and thanks for all the great info and vibes (Dank U, Snork)! I can't wait till I finally see the movie

xxx
John

;D

I'm sorry, I posted that this morning before I had any coffee and I wasn't very sharp I know better!

But thank kew, those articles are wonderful.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
Well you know if I hadn't opened that spam email I may never have heard about it. But dang when I saw them two I was like "Hello!"

• BetterMost Supporter!
Mel, did you notice in every scene the moon appeared, it was a full moon?

mvansand76

Mel, did you notice in every scene the moon appeared, it was a full moon?

No!!!  :D Now I have to see it AGAIN!  ::)

Did you notice that Zach also wears Shaun's shirt in a brief scene after the break-up in the car? It's when he's in his car (I think at the end of part 4)....

Don't tell me, you need to go and see it again?  ;) ;D

Well you know if I hadn't opened that spam email I may never have heard about it. But dang when I saw them two I was like "Hello!"

So spam email is good for something then? How surprising! Yeah, those two really do make you go "Hello!". It may be superficial, but it really doesn't hurt the movie that they are so cute. Just like it didn't hurt Brokeback.  :P

LOL.

• BetterMost Supporter!

Don't tell me, you need to go and see it again?  ;) ;D

I watch about half of it last night (taking notes no less) but it got so slow to down load and it got late so I went to bed. I did see all kinds of things I missed the first time.

Like: Shaun says "I never knew you knew about me" to Zach. I am still trying to figure out what he means. That he was a writer, that he was gay, that he existed, which he obviously did. It seems Shaun taught Zach and Gabe how to surf.

mvansand76

I watch about half of it last night (taking notes no less) but it got so slow to down load and it got late so I went to bed. I did see all kinds of things I missed the first time.

Like: Shaun says "I never knew you knew about me" to Zach. I am still trying to figure out what he means. That he was a writer, that he was gay, that he existed, which he obviously did. It seems Shaun taught Zach and Gabe how to surf.

I think he meant "I never knew you knew about what I have been doing the past years since I moved away..."

Oh I was wondering about the conversation in the car, the moment they break up and Zach lashes out at Shaun, telling him to get another fantasy. What do you make of that scene? Do you think Zach at that moment believes that Shaun is taking advantage of him just like his sister tried to make him believe, that to Shaun, Zach was just a summer fuck?

• BetterMost Supporter!
I think he meant "I never knew you knew about what I have been doing the past years since I moved away..."

Oh I was wondering about the conversation in the car, the moment they break up and Zach lashes out at Shaun, telling him to get another fantasy. What do you make of that scene? Do you think Zach at that moment believes that Shaun is taking advantage of him just like his sister tried to make him believe, that to Shaun, Zach was just a summer fuck?

Yeah, I think that is exactly what is going on. Jeanie planted that idea in his head, she is a manipulator and sees this relationship as something she needs to control right away. She is also playing into Zach's masculinity by refering to him in a way that some straight men will from time to time refer to women, thereby cheapening the experence and his self esteme. It is much the same way Gabe views women.

mvansand76

Yeah, I think that is exactly what is going on. Jeanie planted that idea in his head, she is a manipulator and sees this relationship as something she needs to control right away. She is also playing into Zach's masculinity by refering to him in a way that some straight men will from time to time refer to women, thereby cheapening the experence and his self esteme. It is much the same way Gabe views women.

Very interesting! I wish we could have seen more of Gabe at the end, it seems like he just disappeared after the scene in the diner. Finding out your best friend is gay is one thing, finding out he's sleeping with your older brother is another. LOL. That really must've been tough. It's interesting how in that scene, Zach only stopped beating around the bush when Gabe said that it was really really weird that it's with his brother.

Gabe is also there to show how much more mature Zach is, how much more responsibility he feels. And the difference between how Zach deals with his on and off girlfriend, although he leads her on, he still treats her fairly well, and really does love her.

Oh, by the way, I was thinking that there's a big difference between Zach at the beginning of the movie, almost still a teenager on his skateboard, his whole body language is that of a teenager, and then at the end with Shaun and Cody at the beach he really is a grown up man.

End of rambling... LOL!

mvansand76

I think I fiigured out the age difference. In the surfing scene with Gabe and Shaun, Gabe says he will never be on a longboard and Shaun says, give me ten years and call me back about that.

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I just wanted to tell you all that I am ignoring ALL your posts here on this thread  ;D :D :laugh: because I absolutely want to avoid to read spoilers like I did for BBM before seeing it the first time. It kinda spoiled BBM for me and I'm still pi**ed of with myself because of it.. ehm.. really.

Anyway, I have heard of "Shelter" quite a while ago now and am finding it difficult to resist watching clips on YouTube (I've seen some..) or read here. I don't think it will be released in Belgium soon, so I'll have to be strong! ..  :P

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -