Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 324037 times)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I thought about that too, but Zach asks Shaun about his break up before they talk about his book. It seem like he knows about Shaun, I guess Shaun could be assuming he thinks he broke up with a woman. Cody seems to have no problem with his brother being gay, I would imagine Zach would have know about Shaun from Gabe, but kept that he read Shaun's book, which must have had some risque material, from Gabe so he wouldn't be suspect. 

Yes that's just it. When that scene came up, I was waiting for Zach to ask Shaun 'and who was she' or 'why did you break up with her' or something similar. But that did not happen. In that scene nothing Shaun says tells you whether he is talking about a man or a woman and in my opinion, there is nothing that makes it obvious that Zach is assuming that Shaun may be talking about a woman. As they've only just started hanging out together again (since Shaun's back in town), I think they both 'omit' to use pronouns, just out of respect of privacy, or something to that effect. In any case, I had the impression Zach knew all along. The only thing new to him, is that he started feeling 'confused' (I hate this word in that context - it's over-used, but I don't know what else to use) about his feelings towards Shaun. Or should I say that Zach is starting to be 'aware' of his feelings towards Shaun.

The conversation about the book was strange enough. I can't paraphrase it now, but they were kind of tip-toeing around the real subject. Kind of sweet, really.

I too, think that there must have been scenes that in the end were cut, but that would have made it clearer - maybe - that Zach knew about Shaun. But maybe these scenes were cut deliberately to have the viewer keep guessing.

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline j.U.d.E.

Quote from: injest on Yesterday at 20:14:45
yes, he asks about the breakup BEFORE he mentions the book.

Now what was REALLY interesting to me was the exchange about the book....Shaun says "Gabe never told me" that Zack had read the book...makes me wonder if Gabe knew that Shaun had a thing for Zach already. cause I think Shaun (whether consciously or not) came back to the area because of Zack...

Interesting. This might be true. I also had a feeling that Shaun had seen the home video before, that he was looking for it and not just stumbled across it.

I tend to agree with both of you. Also, I think Gabe knew on some level. It's weird (in a good way), really. Everybody seemed to know already. Zach doesn't seem to have to tell anybody. Tori says she knew and Jeanne figured it out too.

I forget the details (have to watch it again), but how old was Zach when Shaun left?

j. U. d. E.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
I see that earlier I messed up when I said Cody didn't have a problem with his brother being gay, when I should have said Gabe didn't have a problem with his brother being gay.

I think Zach must have recognized that music from the video, "What are you watch" or "listening too" he askes, expectantly. I think he is so happy to have someone to connect with. Gabe is gone and he has no close friends it looks like.

As for the age difference I would say they are at least 8 years apart. Zach and Gabe apparently learned how to surf from him. He probably went off to college when they were maybe 10 or 12.

But now don't you think Shaun was on the rebound when he moved back?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Here is the review on AfterElton that describes it as "Anti-Brokeback"

http://www.afterelton.com/movies/2008/3/shelter?page=0%2C0

"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

injest

I see that earlier I messed up when I said Cody didn't have a problem with his brother being gay, when I should have said Gabe didn't have a problem with his brother being gay.

I think Zach must have recognized that music from the video, "What are you watch" or "listening too" he askes, expectantly. I think he is so happy to have someone to connect with. Gabe is gone and he has no close friends it looks like.

As for the age difference I would say they are at least 8 years apart. Zach and Gabe apparently learned how to surf from him. He probably went off to college when they were maybe 10 or 12.

But now don't you think Shaun was on the rebound when he moved back?

hmm. Not so sure...he seemed like he was on a mission himself...maybe (and this is just the feeling I got from him) he hadn't really been all that committed to his relationship and was wanting to (in Brokie lingo) stop 'standing it' and start 'fixin it'.

the more I think about it the more I am feeling that he came back because of Zach...not because of the free rent.

Offline j.U.d.E.

the more I think about it the more I am feeling that he came back because of Zach...not because of the free rent.

Hm, that's not so much how I see it. I have a feeling Shaun did come back home to heal from a break-up and possibly to get some sense of secureness and familiarity that his little hometown could give, instead of a big anonymous city like Los Angeles. How many years ago did Shaun leave? I mean he couldn't have been in love with a teenager back then and hoping to come back to a grown man, who would possibly be feeling the same way towards him.

I think it's when he has actually started to get to 'know' grown up Zach that he realises that there could be something happening between the two, that he digs out the video.

Just a thought.

j. U. d. E.

injest

Hm, that's not so much how I see it. I have a feeling Shaun did come back home to heal from a break-up and possibly to get some sense of secureness and familiarity that his little hometown could give, instead of a big anonymous city like Los Angeles. How many years ago did Shaun leave? I mean he couldn't have been in love with a teenager back then and hoping to come back to a grown man, who would possibly be feeling the same way towards him.

I think it's when he has actually started to get to 'know' grown up Zach that he realises that there could be something happening between the two, that he digs out the video.

Just a thought.

j. U. d. E.

oh I dont' think it was something he did concsiously...but we all carry our dreams and hopes and wishes ...

I may be totally off though! I need to see it again!

Offline j.U.d.E.

I may be totally off though! I need to see it again!

Yes, me too!  ;D

j. U. d. E.

Offline mactwck

• Don't Say Much
If I squee one more time about this movie I do believe my child will move out of the house.  (Maybe I should squee some more>lol).

The first beach scene with Zach, Shaun and Tori and that guy asks Zach if he is a fag because Tori is so hot do you notice that he looks at Shuan as soon as the guy says it.  Zach knows that Shaun is gay.  Then he asks him if he is dating anyone.  Like he is feeling him out.  Zach has a crush but does not realize it.

Zach lets Shaun look at his drawings even though he says nobody looks at them, how sad not even his sister or Gabe or Tori?

If you ask me Zach is the one that keeps showing up where Shaun is.  The first day was an accident but then he goes to his house to get him for a second surf session, Zach is the one who comes to Shaun ready to play tonsil hockey.  I think Shaun has always liked Zach but saw him as straight. Or off limits as to their age difference.

I see in the reviews some say that Shaun is too accomadating.  I do not see it that way.  He is older, as in been there done that, but he has known Zach for a long time.  He knows Zach very well.  This is not someone he started seeing and all these things (Cody, Jeanne, Tori, not going to college) ame up and he did not know what to do.  He already knows all this about Zach, and goes in with his eyes wide open.  I think the fight in the cars surprises him because they have been all over town together.  Everyody seems to know and he is hurt that Zach freaks out.  he has hope Zach will pull his head out.  lol

Shutting up for now until something else strikes me!!

Chelle

Offline j.U.d.E.

If I squee one more time about this movie I do believe my child will move out of the house.  (Maybe I should squee some more>lol).

The first beach scene with Zach, Shaun and Tori and that guy asks Zach if he is a fag because Tori is so hot do you notice that he looks at Shuan as soon as the guy says it.  Zach knows that Shaun is gay.  Then he asks him if he is dating anyone.  Like he is feeling him out.  Zach has a crush but does not realize it.

Zach lets Shaun look at his drawings even though he says nobody looks at them, how sad not even his sister or Gabe or Tori?

Hey Chelle! That's just too funny. I'm watching Shelter again right this minute and I am at that scene on the beach with the guy asking Zach if his a 'fag'. And you are right, Zach looks at Shaun instantly and Shaun kind of smiling an looking down, is standing up and Zach is following him. Like you say, he seems to have crush on Shaun already but is not realizing it. I wonder, if this on and off again relationship with Tori is already a sign, that Zach doesn't feel that the intimacy he has with a girl is what he really enjoys. At some point he actually says that he and Tori are best friends (rather than a couple.. ?).

About Zach not showing his pictures to anyone, I totally understand. I've been painting for a couple of years now and haven't shown anything to anyone.. Heck, I don't even look at my paintings myself (but that's gonna change ..). It's because he probably doesn't think his work is accomplished yet. It's not 'final' or ready to be seen. I'm guessing he is not yet convinced (or convincing himself) that his art is worth anything, let alone to be seen (and judged) by anyone.

j. U. d. E.