Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 323935 times)

injest

Yeah, I have ideas, but I am like Mel, there is never enough time.

Did you notice how Zach keeps wearing Shaun shirt long after the party?

Also regarding the name, by the end of the movie Zach can't go back to the house with Jeanie and Cody, he is sleeping in his car, at least when he goes to CalArts, and then comes back and asks Tori if he can stay with her. I am not real clear on why, he just don't want to deal with Jeanie?

I think so. I think he just had so much going on emotionally that it was too much for him.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Okay, I just watched the movie again. :) 

I'll go to amazon next and order the dvd. I'll manage to sort out the 'region' thing even though I'm not very technical...

I think one of the things that attracted Shaun to Zach (other than his amazing good looks of course  ::)  ;D) was his strong sense of family. The way Shaun immediately hit it off with Cody, wanting to be around him and playing with him on the beach (Cody:'I need to forty-five the castle' LOL!! He's so adorable), Shaun was yearning for 'family'. He pointed out to Zach twice that his dad was his stepdad, so he probably didn't have much of a relationship with him. That's why I thought if was very fitting that Cody was hugging Shaun during the last scene as his mum drove away. It's little things like this that really make this movie stand out I think. I can't believe they shot this in only 18 days...amazing!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

mvansand76

Okay, I just watched the movie again. :) 

I'll go to amazon next and order the dvd. I'll manage to sort out the 'region' thing even though I'm not very technical...

I think one of the things that attracted Shaun to Zach (other than his amazing good looks of course  ::)  ;D) was his strong sense of family. The way Shaun immediately hit it off with Cody, wanting to be around him and playing with him on the beach (Cody:'I need to forty-five the castle' LOL!! He's so adorable), Shaun was yearning for 'family'. He pointed out to Zach twice that his dad was his stepdad, so he probably didn't have much of a relationship with him. That's why I thought if was very fitting that Cody was hugging Shaun during the last scene as his mum drove away. It's little things like this that really make this movie stand out I think. I can't believe they shot this in only 18 days...amazing!

Fabienne, you were wondering about the ring weren't you? In the scene where he says goodbye to Jeanne and he puts his hand in her hair and they hug, you can see the ring clearly, it looks almost like a fleur-de-lis....

Great that you are going to buy the DVD, I am going to order it too if it isn't released in Europe...

Great observations, I think you are absolutely right! This was also Shaun's chance to have the family that he craved. Yes, I love the way he is holding Cody to him in that scene. I think Brad Rowe is so natural in that and all the other scenes with Cody, because he has a 5-year old son in real life.

I thought it was interesting how Shaun held back at the car before Zach came back to hold his hand and 'dragged' him with him. When Zach does that, you can see how Shaun is really nervous and NOT looking forward to meeting Jeanne again. The bitch doesn't even have the decency to say hi, just says What is he doing here? How nasty of her, treating him like trash.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
The character Jeanie is really something. I am glad you went ahead and called her a bitch, that is exactly what she is. She has this son that she will throw away to be with some looser, her identity being so tightly tied to her being in a relationship with a man, she gives him the food off her plate when he asks is there more.

Cody is so much better with Zach and Shaun.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

mvansand76

The character Jeanie is really something. I am glad you went ahead and called her a bitch, that is exactly what she is. She has this son that she will throw away to be with some looser, her identity being so tightly tied to her being in a relationship with a man, she gives him the food off her plate when he asks is there more.

Yeah that scene with the food says a lot doesn't it? I think Zach is so sad when they watch her drive away because he knows she's not happy but that she will stay in that relationship forever. He, on the other hand, found the happiness and shelter he had been looking for all his life and he won Cody. He feels for his sister, wishes things could have been better for her, because you always want what's best for your siblings, right?

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
I thought it was interesting how Shaun held back at the car before Zach came back to hold his hand and 'dragged' him with him. When Zach does that, you can see how Shaun is really nervous and NOT looking forward to meeting Jeanne again. The bitch doesn't even have the decency to say hi, just says What is he doing here? How nasty of her, treating him like trash.

I got the impression that Jeanne and Shaun knew each other from high school or something to that nature. They seem to be about the same age, don't you think? She was probably a bitch to Shaun back then in high school as she is today.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
I was disappointed with the mother's character. Surely she is not typical. Mothers in general get a bad rap in movies. The "Mommmie Dearest" syndrome.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
I was disappointed with the mother's character. Surely she is not typical. Mothers in general get a bad rap in movies. The "Mommmie Dearest" syndrome.

You have a point there Lee, I have noticed that too.

In Shelter, I see the story as Cody finding the family he should have, parents that would love him and care about him. Its one of the short comings of the movie that Jeanne is a stereotype of some out of control single mom.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline mactwck

• Don't Say Much
I just watched it again too.

When Gabe comes home and he starts shouting for Shaun he had to have seen Zach's car in the driveway. Maybe that is how he found out.  He realized that they were hiding Zach being there. Did not confront him till the next day? I do not know. When they are surfing Gabe says to Zach, "Nobody has seen you lately," like he is giving him an opening to tell him.

Sigh just love this movie.

injest

and everything was about her...even without the gay thing she used Zach. Never thought for a minute of how HE was feeling.

everything was ME ME ME.. >:( >:(