Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 326567 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Zach was the doormat of the family. The ones everyone wiped their feet on so they would not be at the bottom.
Now Zach's behavior I can recognize, he is sublimating himself and his life to make up for his preceived short comings, that is being gay. He even turns down a scholarship to CalArts and tells his family he was not good enough to fulfill this goal.

I think in a way Cody is his salvation as he sees he will have to stand up and take what he wants so that he and Cody can have shelter and break the cycle before Cody starts to sublimate himself for whatever reason.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

injest

Zach was the doormat of the family. The ones everyone wiped their feet on so they would not be at the bottom.
Now Zach's behavior I can recognize, he is sublimating himself and his life to make up for his preceived short comings, that is being gay. He even turns down a scholarship to CalArts and tells his family he was not good enough to fulfill this goal.

I think in a way Cody is his salvation as he sees he will have to stand up and take what he wants so that he and Cody can have shelter and break the cycle before Cody starts to sublimate himself for whatever reason.

yes! very good observation....sometimes a person can do for someone else what he could never do for himself...

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old

I think Jeanne was used as a doormat too. The difference with Zach was that she decided it was okay to use other people (Zach) too as a doormat. Because Zach had 'the family gene' he was able to break the cycle.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
I think Jeanne was used as a doormat too. The difference with Zach was that she decided it was okay to use other people (Zach) too as a doormat. Because Zach had 'the family gene' he was able to break the cycle.

All good observations.  Cody will certainly be given the opportunity to have a better perspective on himself, and on life in general, than either his mother or his uncle had.  I think Shaun said something at the end, that if Cody couldn't be with Jeanne, the next best thing was him and Shaun.  I disagree with that - I actually think that living with Zach and Shaun is  a much, much better place for Cody to be than with Jeanne. 

And it was great that we saw Cody coloring and drawing a lot - maybe he shares Zach's gift!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

mvansand76

Hey Marie! I agree about the better place for Cody, and I think it was a good thing that Jeanne left Cody with Z and S because her boyfriend didn't like kids. I wonder though if she will ever come back to claim him?

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Hey Marie! I agree about the better place for Cody, and I think it was a good thing that Jeanne left Cody with Z and S because her boyfriend didn't like kids. I wonder though if she will ever come back to claim him?

I hope not!

>:(

Hah! I'm so bad. But the character is--the worst! Awful! She would revert and worm her way back and work on Cody as she worked on Zach. Stay far away!

On the other hand, I think the actress herself, Tina Holmes, is terrific--and quite the opposite from her role as 'Jeanne'--look:

IMDb Mini Biography:
Tina Holmes (Jeanne) grew up in New York City and Connecticut. An Ivy League girl, she attended Yale University for two years followed by a move to Paris, studying French literature at the Sorbonne. After returning to the U.S., Holmes entered Brown University where she earned her Bachelor of Arts Degree in Comparative Literature. After graduating from Brown, Holmes returned to Paris to serve as a research assistant on a documentary on famed novelist, poet and playwright Jean Genet. She also spent time at the Federal University of Pernambuco in Brazil.

So, you never know!

;)

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"

Yeah, I think it's a pretty safe bet that Allen isn't going to turn out to be Jeanne's dream man  :-\ - but I think the problems with Jeanne go far beyond the fact that Allen didn't like kids.  Some people are not meant to be parents, and with or without a loser boyfriend, Jeanne is one of those people.  So she may come back from Oregon faster than she expects, but I just can't see her actively seeking to take Cody back on her own and assume all the responsibilities that would entail.  I get the impression she'd just as soon let Zach and Shaun do the hard stuff and she'd do the taking out for ice cream, quick trip to McDonald's type of stuff. 

On the other hand, I think the actress herself, Tina Holmes, is terrific--and quite the opposite from her role as 'Jeanne'--look:

I agree that the actress did a great job with the role! 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

• BetterMost Supporter!
Shelter has been nominated for "Best Gay Kiss" at the NewNowNext Awards (which is featured heaily on Logo).

Go to: http://www.afterelton.com/blog/brianjuergens/afterelton-hosts-new-now-next-best-kiss-category-vote-now?&comment=40305

and cast your vote today!

mvansand76

Shelter has been nominated for "Best Gay Kiss" at the NewNowNext Awards (which is featured heaily on Logo).

Go to: http://www.afterelton.com/blog/brianjuergens/afterelton-hosts-new-now-next-best-kiss-category-vote-now?&comment=40305

and cast your vote today!

*Faints*

Have you posted this on ennisjack or shall I do it?

• BetterMost Supporter!
*Faints*

Have you posted this on ennisjack or shall I do it?

Sure, be my guest!