Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 323923 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Goodmorning!  :)

WHOOOOOO!  :o  :o

And there it is!!  :D  :D

Just look how beautiful those two are!!

Good morning to you too Fabienne!!  :-*
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

Goodmorning!  :)

Goodmorning Fabienne and goodnight David!  ;D

Wow, not only the two gorgeous men, but look at that amazing view, I would kill for that view, honestly.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Wow, not only the two gorgeous men, but look at that amazing view, I would kill for that view, honestly.

LOL
My thoughts: keep the men (they have more fun with each other than they'd ever have with me anyway ;D) - but I WANT THAT HOUSE!
Can you imagine to have THAT view from your bedroom? I'd turn the bed around - you bet.

mvansand76

LOL
My thoughts: keep the men (they have more fun with each other than they'd ever have with me anyway ;D) - but I WANT THAT HOUSE!
Can you imagine to have THAT view from your bedroom? I'd turn the bed around - you bet.

My thoughts exactly!  ;D

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Oh, I wouldn't mind the house, but I don't mind looking at that picture either!  :P

In fact, I just watched the movie again. I enjoyed it very much, again! LOL

Mel, you said that 'shelter' is a surfer term. What exactly does it mean?
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

mvansand76

Oh, I wouldn't mind the house, but I don't mind looking at that picture either!  :P

In fact, I just watched the movie again. I enjoyed it very much, again! LOL

Mel, you said that 'shelter' is a surfer term. What exactly does it mean?

I don't know! I read it somewhere but can't remember.... *where's that smiley with the holes in its head?*

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
I googled a bit and found this review from the Seattle Weekly. I think the reviewer is being a bit 'flip' frankly.  :-\

Shelter: Gay Surfer Dudes Just Wanna Have Fun!
By Ed Gonzalez

Shelter bides its time with innocuous snapshots of local SoCal color—crashing waves, crystal-blue skies, natives who pronounce the "r" in Louvre—before writer-director Jonah Markowitz allows Zach (Trevor Wright), a full-time burger-flipper and nanny to his nephew, to get his queer on. Following much surfer-dude posturing predicated on cautious pronoun use and double meanings ("We picked a good time to come out," Zach says in reference to the day's waves), the young cutie shares a drunken kiss with his best bud's older brother, Shaun (Brad Rowe), after which he makes a beeline for the beach in a restless attempt to surf the gay away. Rowe, no stranger to playing queerbait, patiently stands by until Wright's Zach gets his yes-no mood swings—informed as much by real life as by after-school specials and gay-male fantasy—out of his system. Their chemistry is solid, but the inane pop-rock music that fills the soundtrack is rougher trade than any of their sex scenes—or, for that matter, their characters' oft-mentioned class difference, which is never milked for any great epiphany. As far as coming-out dramas go, Shelter is a puppy dog, well-acted but rife with clichéd received wisdom and at least one ingeniously arbitrary bit of midscene dialogue: "That's why you never tell a woman how to cook a chicken."

This was one of the replies by someone who obviously didn't think much of this film:

Shelter was the name of a beautiful surf video by Moonshine Experiment produced by Jack Johnson, Taylor Steele and Chris Malloy. I hate to see a movie like that robbed of its title by some attempt at an emotionally charged exploration film with surfing involved. Find the original Shelter clips on youtube and enjoy. If you like it find a copy in a local surf shop. We live in a time where we can share what we love and leave the large studios to push their crap down each other's throats so let's make use of it.

Mystery solved.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Silly goose! You didn't kill the thread! We have slowed down a bit cause those of us that have seen it are kinda waiting for the rest of ya'll to get it so we can start back up fresh!!!

Not Indy's doing, but all the rancour against the mother character was a little harsh, and right around Mother's Day!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

mvansand76

Not Indy's doing, but all the rancour against the mother character was a little harsh, and right around Mother's Day!!

:laugh:

I think you might find something in your mailbox this weekend?

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
This was one of the replies by someone who obviously didn't think much of this film:

Shelter was the name of a beautiful surf video by Moonshine Experiment produced by Jack Johnson, Taylor Steele and Chris Malloy. I hate to see a movie like that robbed of its title by some attempt at an emotionally charged exploration film with surfing involved. Find the original Shelter clips on youtube and enjoy. If you like it find a copy in a local surf shop. We live in a time where we can share what we love and leave the large studios to push their crap down each other's throats so let's make use of it.

Mystery solved.

Yeah, I was "surfing" the net (sorry!  ;D) trying to find the meaning of the world "shelter" as it applies to surfing and I came across references to that movie.  But when I googled "surfing terms," etc. - I still couldn't find anything to explain how "shelter" relates to surfing.  I did find some surf shops that had the name "Shelter," so obviously there's some correlation, but exactly what?  Hmm.....

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain