Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 324051 times)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I would love to watch it again too, but my computer keeps crashing [I have to write fast, just in case it happens again now..] *grrrr* - this has been going on ever since last summer!

Anyway, SHELTER is on my Amazon.com pre-order list! Can't wait to watch it on normal screen and pristine quality!  ;D

Fabienne, on EEN (Flemish TV channel) there was just a live concert of Stan van Samang! I bet you know him! I had heard of him for the first time only a couple of days ago and dong, there is a concert on tv. This guy is cute and good! I love what he sings (he sings only(?) in English). I was thinking of SHELTER while listening to him. His music fits the movie, I think. It looks like he is a very humble guy and so talented!

Here is a picture I took (from the TV screen):

From YouTube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBNZDCz0TSw&feature=related

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
I would love to watch it again too, but my computer keeps crashing [I have to write fast, just in case it happens again now..] *grrrr* - this has been going on ever since last summer!

Anyway, SHELTER is on my Amazon.com pre-order list! Can't wait to watch it on normal screen and pristine quality!  ;D

Fabienne, on EEN (Flemish TV channel) there was just a live concert of Stan van Samang! I bet you know him! I had heard of him for the first time only a couple of days ago and dong, there is a concert on tv. This guy is cute and good! I love what he sings (he sings only(?) in English). I was thinking of SHELTER while listening to him. His music fits the movie, I think. It looks like he is a very humble guy and so talented!

j. U. d. E.

hey Jude,

sorry to hear about your computer problems >:(

And you have great taste in men! LOL Yeah, Stan is very talented. A good singer and a good actor. And not bad on the eyes either!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline rdg64

• Don't Say Much
Howdy all.  A little internet bird told me this forum discusses this movie. Thanks to rightwhere_u_r's link, who I think is Snork here, I watched the movie a million times on the internet, and in processing and re-processing it, I am glad to have a place to post some thoughts. Also, I have found a lot of the reviews out there to be incredibly superficial, so that's another reason it's good to have a place like this! I skimmed the 26 pages of posts here, but please forgive me if I am redundant. These are the main themes of my thoughts:

The tragedy of Jeanne's life definitely clouds the happy ending of the film and makes me wonder why it is still considered a "feel good" movie. (I like the inclusion of her character, and am just saying how it effects my emotional reaction to the film.) She is going off with a man who is at least on some level abusive. She is leaving the only anchors she has, for something with hardly a remote chance of helping her life. She has lived in direct contrast to Zach's beauty, generosity, artistic gifts, ability to escape to the ocean, and now, a life with a respectful, giving partner. Looking to the future, her own options seem to be some kind of life with someone with no obviously redeeming qualities except the willingness to have her (but not the one she gave birth to) around. If she comes back from Oregon, where can she fit in to the family that is taking shape? Her character is done really well, I think, and adds a really interesting dimension to the film.

I wonder about Zach's decision to apply/go to art school being almost indistinguishable from his decision to be with Shaun.  What if he had not gotten in, could there still be a healthy coming out and possibility of making a relationship with Shaun? In the otherwise wonderful final walkie-talkie scene, I feel like the move to be together was completely couched in terms of school. I did love in this scene that Zach said, "can you help me?" -- thereby making his move to "take what he wants" in this world, and accept help in doing so. And while I know there does not have to be blatant language about resuming/confirming their relationship, I wish he had said something that told Shaun he was accepting his sexuality and their relationship.  Anyway, I loved the scene.

I like Shaun's character and wonder if he was kept purposefully a bit vague (what's the story of his breakup, how does he feel about falling in love with someone younger, etc.?) I love his equilibrium somehow, even though some critics have said he is too even-keeled! I love that he left a breakup and is coming back with two of his own new guys!  Aesthetically, I loved Zach's street and bedroom art, and the "ghetto" of San Pedro backdrop, and loved them in the ocean.  Okay, I haven't said much in the end, and now I am posting and running, but thanks for the Shelter topic here. I hope to be back!

mvansand76

Howdy all.  A little internet bird told me this forum discusses this movie. Thanks to rightwhere_u_r's link, who I think is Snork here, I watched the movie a million times on the internet, and in processing and re-processing it, I am glad to have a place to post some thoughts. Also, I have found a lot of the reviews out there to be incredibly superficial, so that's another reason it's good to have a place like this! I skimmed the 26 pages of posts here, but please forgive me if I am redundant. These are the main themes of my thoughts:

The tragedy of Jeanne's life definitely clouds the happy ending of the film and makes me wonder why it is still considered a "feel good" movie. (I like the inclusion of her character, and am just saying how it effects my emotional reaction to the film.) She is going off with a man who is at least on some level abusive. She is leaving the only anchors she has, for something with hardly a remote chance of helping her life. She has lived in direct contrast to Zach's beauty, generosity, artistic gifts, ability to escape to the ocean, and now, a life with a respectful, giving partner. Looking to the future, her own options seem to be some kind of life with someone with no obviously redeeming qualities except the willingness to have her (but not the one she gave birth to) around. If she comes back from Oregon, where can she fit in to the family that is taking shape? Her character is done really well, I think, and adds a really interesting dimension to the film.

I wonder about Zach's decision to apply/go to art school being almost indistinguishable from his decision to be with Shaun.  What if he had not gotten in, could there still be a healthy coming out and possibility of making a relationship with Shaun? In the otherwise wonderful final walkie-talkie scene, I feel like the move to be together was completely couched in terms of school. I did love in this scene that Zach said, "can you help me?" -- thereby making his move to "take what he wants" in this world, and accept help in doing so. And while I know there does not have to be blatant language about resuming/confirming their relationship, I wish he had said something that told Shaun he was accepting his sexuality and their relationship.  Anyway, I loved the scene.

I like Shaun's character and wonder if he was kept purposefully a bit vague (what's the story of his breakup, how does he feel about falling in love with someone younger, etc.?) I love his equilibrium somehow, even though some critics have said he is too even-keeled! I love that he left a breakup and is coming back with two of his own new guys!  Aesthetically, I loved Zach's street and bedroom art, and the "ghetto" of San Pedro backdrop, and loved them in the ocean.  Okay, I haven't said much in the end, and now I am posting and running, but thanks for the Shelter topic here. I hope to be back!

Hey there! Welcome to Bettermost and to this thread! Yep, it's me, Snork but you can call me Mel!  ;D :D

Wonderful review!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
hey rd! Welcome to bettermost, pull up a log and stick a boot in the fire!

Thank you for your very nice post. I've been thinking about Jeanne too. She's gotten a lot of bad press 'How could she abandon her child like that'. But you're right, her story is tragic. I think she felt really trapped and didn't know how to 'take what she wants'. She had the bad luck to fall for guys who were/are the opposite of Shaun. I think it really stung when Zach told her 'Shaun's really great, he cares about Cody and me.' and 'We're gonna make it work'. The contrast with her own situation couldn't be greater.

I was also wondering about her 'homophobia' and the fact that during the last scene, she changed her mind pretty quickly about leaving Cody with Zach and Shaun. Maybe it has to do with the fact that she couldn't picture a gay family. After all she wanted Zach to meet some other girl after he had broken up with Tori. As if a straight Zach wouldn't abandon her and Cody but a gay Zach would.

Lots to think about.

I think the link between the school and the relationship is a very real one, but I would regard this more as a fact that Zach was coming out as a gay man but also as an artist, whether he got into CalArts or not.

I would loved to know more about Shaun's background too. As Gabe said things had been pretty rough for him. Although the devastated look on his face when Zach told him 'I'm done' spoke for itself. He looked so brokenhearted. But you have to give him credit for taking a chance with Zach so soon after his relationship ended.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.

I wonder about Zach's decision to apply/go to art school being almost indistinguishable from his decision to be with Shaun.  What if he had not gotten in, could there still be a healthy coming out and possibility of making a relationship with Shaun?

I tend to think he felt like he had a good shot of getting because he had been accepted before, knew his worth. Very good question, did Zach need to have validation of being accepted to CalArts to feel worthy? Perhaps he was taking Shaun's advice and taking what he wanted and came back to him saying: you were right, about a lot of things.

I see the previews on their website and the quality is so much better than on the links I have been watching I am stoked to get the DVD.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
LOL
My thoughts: keep the men (they have more fun with each other than they'd ever have with me anyway ;D) - but I WANT THAT HOUSE!
Can you imagine to have THAT view from your bedroom? I'd turn the bed around - you bet.

I just keep imagining myself jumping in there between the two of them. David Nasty. It's a nice thought. lol

Welcome to Bettermost RD!!! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"

Let me add my welcome, rdg!  And my appreciation for your insightful thoughts. 

Yes, Jeanne is a sad figure, but perhaps seeing her younger brother finally making such positive changes in his own life, and having the courage to do so,will give her some food for thought about the decisions she has made, and continues to make in her own life.  I hope so.  Because, ultimately, Jeanne is the only one who can change Jeanne's life.  Her options may be somewhat limited by circumstance, but not completely.   She may not have been given Zach's artistic gifts, but I think she had the ability to do some different things and make some different choices. (For instance,  I can't see where anything stopped her from escaping to the ocean if she had chosen to).  And when I say that some people aren't meant to be parents, I'm not saying it as a criticism, but rather as a simple fact of life.  Some people aren't.  And I don't think her life necessarily has to be a tragedy - there's always hope. 

But your thoughtful comments about Jeanne, Zach's future, and Shaun's past makes me want a sequel!  Wouldn't it be great to meet up with all of them again a year from now?

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline rdg64

• Don't Say Much
pull up a log and stick a boot in the fire!

How many times have I contemplated that boot in the fire? How exactly did Jack get away with putting his put in the fire? Did the boys have fireproof boots? 

Thanks so much for the lovely welcomes.

mariez, you are absolutely right about Jeanne needing to change Jeanne's life. I am always subject to seeing characters bogged down by circumstance. I have always leaned away from seeing Ennis as as flawed an individual as some do, thinking more about his place and time and circumstance. But free will has got to figure in there, I know.

And yeah, a sequel -- I wish! I am always astounded at how authors/screenwriters find peace with telling their story, wherever they end it, leaving the rest of us (or me, at least) saying, "what about this??" and "what about that??" (But I will never forget Annie Proulx admitting in an interview that J & E stayed with her, against her will.)

What do you guys think of the characterization over most of the film of Zach and Shaun's relationship in terms that show more affection/comradery than a lot of sexual charge? I think that aside from Zach coming to understand his sexuality, he badly needed the friendship and company and warmth that Shaun offered. Did it sometimes seem impossibly calm and sweet? I guess the main thing we know about that aspect of their relationship (aside from everyone's favorite staircase, etc. part!!) is the couple of heavily-cuddly montages in the middle. I like those, but I want to know what they are saying!

In some of the reviews, they talk about Shaun (presumably because of his age, his experience) being in the mentor role, but actually one of the things I thought was interesting was how equal they seemed in their interactions (Zach was never portrayed like a naive kid; so much of his character being about having too much responsibility too soon, I guess, but Zach and Shaun also sounded equal in wit and intelligence and having found their identities as artists). Shaun definitely had expectations -- perhaps too high, at the beginning -- of Zach having the ability to figure out and come to terms with his own identity, on his own -- no heavy-handed coaching. I think that's what made the Japanese mentor joke at the beginning (before their first surfing date) and at the end (with the walkie talkies -- "did not see truth," etc.) kind of funny, because "student" was actually making his own way.

By the way, I think Netflix says DVD would be available there on May 27!

Bye again, thanks again for the opportunity & sweet welcome.

Offline j.U.d.E.

And you have great taste in men! LOL Yeah, Stan is very talented. A good singer and a good actor. And not bad on the eyes either!

*BIGGRIN* Oh yes!

[my computer problems persist, otherwise I would have replied earlier and more.. have to go now.]

Welcome to this board and thread RD!

j. U. d. E.

MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -